Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie News and Rumors Thread

I can believe the 2023 rumors about rights expiring, but the 2020 rumors seems a little too close and playing with fire. Those rights issues are a tricky thing and what is needed to maintain those rights can vary if they can even maintain them after those dates. Warren Beatty hasn't been very serious about making another **** Tracy, but he has done just enough shell things to maintain the rights.

I don't think they'd have given a release date if they weren't serious about getting one done soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they had delays later that pushed it back 6 months to a year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I can believe the 2023 rumors about rights expiring, but the 2020 rumors seems a little too close and playing with fire. Those rights issues are a tricky thing and what is needed to maintain those rights can vary if they can even maintain them after those dates. Warren Beatty hasn't been very serious about making another **** Tracy, but he has done just enough shell things to maintain the rights.

I don't think they'd have given a release date if they weren't serious about getting one done soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they had delays later that pushed it back 6 months to a year, though.
    I love that the title was censored, first of all.

I'm pretty sure it's not uncommon for studios to set release dates so close to a deadline for losing the rights to something. Yes, it can screw them over if they need to delay it for any reason, but setting it out that far and basically right at the cut-off point is the best way to hurry them along while giving them as much time as they possibly can have.

Something similar happened with WB/DC a few years back, if I remember correctly. They were going to lose some rights to Superman back to the estates of his original creators in 2013, so they set "Man of Steel" for a December, 2012 release and fast-tracked everything. It ended up getting delayed into mid-2013 anyways, but they got everything smoothed out in court to allow for that.

Well now that Star Wars in back in May, Sony were wise to snap up that lucrative slot so they will have less competition.

Best MOTU news I've heard in a loooong time!
    Power flows to the one who knows. G1 Megatron

This made my day! I wonder what angle they will use on this. I'm hoping for a something aligned to the 2002 opening movie(first 3 episodes). That was a great start minus the excessive weapon twirling. Introduced Keldor/Skeletor and all major baddies. As well as almost all of our heroes. Can't wait!!! I'm really hoping for Mer-Man and Zodac in some capacity!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Court Magician
    I'll believe it when I see it.

By December 2019, the property in question will be 37 years old. Anyone with memories of its original run will be into their early 40s, at a minimum. Not exactly prime target audience from a studio POV.

And this ain't Star Wars. Yes, there have been other incarnations of the property, but few and far between, with very limited success, targeted mostly at the core audience, without expanding it at all.

Is Sony really going to gear up a major release for this, with all of this working against it? Or are they going to get scared at the Q score of the thing as the date to begin production approaches and bag it? Or cut it's budget by 70%?

I'd actually PREFER, in some senses, a low budget film, but "low budget" doesn't mean what it used to, so I dunno.

Don't want to be a wet blanket, certainly an announced released date is better than nothing, but I am still wary.

I dont think the lack of knowledge of the brand for the new generations is relevant.

The mass public had no idea about LOTR and was a success ,same Avatar or GOTG.

Fantasy worlds is still something very attractive for the prime target audience and that is the potential of motu.

What matters is a good promotion ,I think if people see a trailer with a warrior on a big green tiger on CGI, they'll say wow I want to see this!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I dont think the lack of knowledge of the brand for the new generations is relevant.

The mass public had no idea about LOTR and was a success ,same Avatar or GOTG.
    With all due respect, I agree with MOTZART. Sure, those movies were big hits, but for every one of those, you also get a JOHN CARTER, GREEN LANTERN, or GODS OF EGYPT. It's really hit and miss.

But I definitely agree with you about visuals. Based on those alone, MOTU should garner much interest. Musclebound, multi-colored warriors, an ancient stone faced castle, a big green cat with a saddle, crazy landscapes, elements of magic, the occasional laser blast....I would love to think it would draw people in who have never even heard of MOTU.

Of course, opinions may vary.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 5, 2017 at 08:44pm.
    Odd Man Out

Of course there are hits and miss all the time but I don't think this is related to the lack of knowledge of a brand, not a disadvantage for motu.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Musclebound, multi-colored warriors, an ancient stone faced castle, a big green cat with a saddle, crazy landscapes, elements of magic, the occasional laser blast.
    Take my money!

Heroic Warrior
    I love, love, loved LotR, John Carter, and Gods of Egypt; of course only one of those three made money and gave us a prequel trilogy. Now whether a MotU movie can imitate that success is the question. While I'd love to see not only one but even a trilogy of films, I just think the genre isn't very in vogue, but I hope I'm wrong and peeps still love a good sword swinging, beast riding barbarian.

Last edited by tnktrk; May 6, 2017 at 02:45pm.

Skeletor is mentioned by Peter Quill in Guardians of the Galaxy vol2 ! Maybe Mattel will takeover the licence and save the movie

As primarily a Transformers fan, I can only hope that -- if --- this movie actually gets made (a big if, as I see it now), that it isn't yet another egregious abominable insult to its source material, one which forever besmirches its original franchise. I sincerely (and desperately) hope for the best, however, my gut tells me that if this movie happens, at best it will be like another Ghost Busters or Jem and the Holograms -- as in: an abysmal failure, a stinging flash in the pan of awful which people hasten to forget ever happened, that the world (and its franchise) may go on without lasting harm. (As against the worst case: the ongoing, lasting harm and ruinous corruption wrought upon Transformers).

/bitterandjaded

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    I just think the genre isn't very in vogue, but I hope I'm wrong and peeps still love a good sword swinging, beast riding barbarian.
    That's my thinking. It's the same way Westerns or World War II movies aren't really 'in' anymore. Of course, that doesn't mean nobody ever makes them, or they can't be a hit, because it can happen. But timing is definitely a factor. Would X-MEN or ANT MAN have done great in the 70s? It's doubtful.

That said, MOTU is such a crazy concept that it's sort of timeless. It's Sword & Sorcery, but with a heavy dose of Sci-Fi and Fantasy mixed in. It's grand, it's epic, but I don't think it should be incredibly dark or uber serious in tone. At the same time, it shouldn't be spoofy comedy.

I just want it to happen, for it to be a hit, and for it to give the toy line a booster shot.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 6, 2017 at 05:43pm.
    Odd Man Out

The genre is not in vouge , but what is the genre of motu?

For my motu is very close to Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy, two brands that work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    The genre is not in vouge , but what is the genre of motu?
    I once heard it described as LORD of the RINGS meets STAR WARS, which sounds awesome to me. Some people have described it as SWORD & PLANET, SWORD & SORCERY, while I've also heard it called straight FANTASY.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    yes, I'd put it under Sword n Planet, ala John Carter, Almuric, or Dray Prescott. A place where both magic and science co-exist without anyone batting an eye.

Master of New Adventures!
    I agree with you, DC_Warlord, as I often do. However, sometimes the lack of films in a genre can be an opportunity for a breakout film that fills a void, even if with just a niche audience that is yearning for a film in that genre. Tombstone -- imo, one of the most watchable films ever -- comes to mind.

Another is Terms of Endearment. When James L. Brooks, who had never directed a film before, secured the film rights from the novel, he shopped the script around and was told that studios weren't doing that kind of weepy little romance film anymore, that they were only doing big budget films like Aliens and Raiders. He finally succeeded in attaching Nichoson, Winger and MacLaine and got the film green lighted.

The studios were correct that there was a much larger audience for action/adventure films. What they failed to grasp, however, was that there was a smaller but still sizable audience that loved and hungered for Terms of Endearment kinds of films, the latter because there were so few of them. Because there were so few, everyone who liked that kind of film flocked to Terms of Endearment. The rest is history. Terms of Endearment went on to win eleven -- count 'em -- Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director for first time director Brooks.

Moral of the story? Never underestimate a passionate and underserved niche audience.

That's my thinking. It's the same way Westerns or World War II movies aren't really 'in' anymore. Of course, that doesn't mean nobody ever makes them, or they can't be a hit, because it can happen. But timing is definitely a factor. Would X-MEN or ANT MAN have done great in the 70s? It's doubtful.

That said, MOTU is such a crazy concept that it's sort of timeless. It's Sword & Sorcery, but with a heavy dose of Sci-Fi and Fantasy mixed in. It's grand, it's epic, but I don't think it should be incredibly dark or uber serious in tone. At the same time, it shouldn't be spoofy comedy.

I just want it to happen, for it to be a hit, and for it to give the toy line a booster shot.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 6, 2017 at 08:02pm.

You definitely make a point, OLESKER. I still think the whole Sword & Sorcery movie thing is rooted in the 80s, but that doesn't mean MOTU can't work. When you think back, X-MEN #1 got this whole Super Hero craze going. Now, we get half a dozen or more Super Hero flicks a year!

LEGEND OF HERCULES kind of bombed, but 300 was Sword & Sandal, and it did well enough to get a sequel, so anything is possible.

That's the funny thing about MOTU....it's not your typical genre type movie. It's mostly Fantasy, but without the weird 'thee's' and 'thou's', plus it has the occasional addition of high tech.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 7, 2017 at 12:12am.
    Odd Man Out

What I do find curious, though, is a lot of people round here seem to have no trouble in continuously undermining MOTU, almost belittling it. I know those people would just say they’re being “realistic” and practical. I just can’t help but have the feeling that some have a weird sense of ownership. As though they want MOTU to remain “theirs”, almost fearful of the idea of it entering the mainstream once again.

What, because the Transformers films have apparently destroyed the TF brand, and a bad MOTU film would do the same? Despite the fact that that opinion is pretty much 100% wrong, a lot of people, and yes, even Transformers fans, actually like those films. And yes, I’m going to say it; they have only helped the brand thrive and endure.

MOTU is still out there, and a lot of people, lo and behold, know what it is. A lot of UK viewers have certainly had a taste of MOTU recently in the form of that advert about insurance that’s been playing all over the place, in primetime slots no less. Pop culture is a powerful thing. You only had to see how much excitement on social media and the like was generated when news of the release date broke.

I think some fans should give MOTU a break.

This whole thing reminds me of how lots of Civilians think AQUAMAN is a total joke, when in 'reality', he's actually extremely powerful, highly durable, and nobody to be taken lightly.

People will see him differently after JUSTICE LEAGUE, not to mention the AQUAMAN movie.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    What I do find curious, though, is a lot of people round here seem to have no trouble in continuously undermining MOTU, almost belittling it. I know those people would just say they’re being “realistic” and practical. I just can’t help but have the feeling that some have a weird sense of ownership. As though they want MOTU to remain “theirs”, almost fearful of the idea of it entering the mainstream once again.

What, because the Transformers films have apparently destroyed the TF brand, and a bad MOTU film would do the same? Despite the fact that that opinion is pretty much 100% wrong, a lot of people, and yes, even Transformers fans, actually like those films. And yes, I’m going to say it; they have only helped the brand thrive and endure.

MOTU is still out there, and a lot of people, lo and behold, know what it is. A lot of UK viewers have certainly had a taste of MOTU recently in the form of that advert about insurance that’s been playing all over the place, in primetime slots no less. Pop culture is a powerful thing. You only had to see how much excitement on social media and the like was generated when news of the release date broke.

I think some fans should give MOTU a break.

Thanks for this post. I was feeling the same way. And for those using the phrase "in vogue". Please stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    Thanks for this post. I was feeling the same way. And for those using the phrase "in vogue". Please stop.
    Agreed please stop using the phrase "in vogue." The whole idea of what is popular is a catch-22 anyway. Often times something is only unpopular because there is no media being made and studios won't produce new media because it is unpopular. That is a catch-22. It won't become popular as long as there is no new media; however, they won't make new media because it is unpopular. Meanwhile stuff that is already popular stays popular because it is the ONLY show in town. Markets then become over saturated with a single genre of media, for example: Westerns in the 70s and comicbook superheroes now. Things kind of get stuck in a rut after awhile. Things don't change until a breakout movie appears and upsets the ballance of what is popular but when things do change it is like a dam bursting.

Looking back the public was already souring on Westerns in the 70s but Hollywwod kept chunging them out one after another because they didn't know what else to make. Market saturation opens the door for breakaway hit movies to emerge in different genres that were underserved. This is why we had Steven Speilberg and George Lucus energe as powerhouse directors in the late 70s and early 80s. They looked back to older media such as sci-fi B-movies of the 50s for inspiration. They both produced movies in a quote "unpopular" genre but were so successful they turned Hollywood upside down. The dam had burst and they were the ones who popped the bubble.

History repeats itself and what is old is new again. The comicbook superhero movie is the Western of the 21st century. Comicbook movies had a good long run but the market is oversaturated with them now. It is a bubble and stagnation is setting in. The signs are there. If you look at Hollywood overall, ticket sales are declining. Less people are going to the movies because there is nothing new to watch. Just reboots and sequals of sequals telling the same old story we already saw a thousand times before. It is a sign the public is looking for something new but just isn't finding it. The stage is set for a new type of movie to shake things up and breakout by going after underserved and media starved genres such as sword and sorcery. MOTU could be that movie that shakes up Hollywood if it is done correctly. All we need is a visionary and the proper will to get it done.

Heroic Warrior
    Is it true that Nick Offerman is going to play Man at arms? I read somewhere that he was, but not sure if its true. He dose look just like him though

Quote Originally Posted by smalldogJr View Post
    Is it true that Nick Offerman is going to play Man at arms? I read somewhere that he was, but not sure if its true. He dose look just like him though
    Nope.

Any casting "news" right now wouldn't even be rumor at this point. Just fan-wishing.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    People will see him differently after JUSTICE LEAGUE, not to mention the AQUAMAN movie.
    I wouldn't be sure. This is Warner Bros.' DCEU we are talking about here. They haven't been really able to hit anything out of the park yet. I would wait until after the movie is out before I make any sort of declarations...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!