Thread: Recarded Battle Armor Skeletor question

Widget

Recarded Battle Armor Skeletor question

So I won a carded Battle Armor Skeletor and it came in today. At first glance it seems to be a recard, but I can't tell. It looks to have glue residue under bubble, the comic has wear, no sword in package and the bag around Skeletor's feet seems wrong. On top of that, the cardboard feels wrong. I have purchased lots of carded stuff, but this is the first time I have seen this. Thoughts? Is someone making scanned card backs? It's pretty good fake if they are.
    IMG_4942.JPGIMG_4943.JPG

Heroic Warrior
    At first glance I would also guess recard simply because there are very few MOCs without even a hint of card bending or warping anywhere, since all it takes is a little moisture in the air in the card's 30 year history to make the card bend a little bit. I also agree that the bag looks strange and the glue looks a little bit strange.

I happen to have a MOC BA Skelly in front of me (very beat up, but still comparable) and some of the fonts are a little bit different on the backside.

I don't know if any of those are dead giveaways since Mattel altered its packaging from time to time with minor variations, but my guess is still the same as yours that it's a recard. Would need higher resolution photos to study it further.

Figures themselves will often beat up the comic a bit over time, but if the comic has damage that appears unrelated to the figure or the way it's been stored, then I agree it's a red flag.

EDIT: also dead unblemished corners all the way around isn't necessarily impossible, but it smells quite fishy. This would be like an AFA 90.

EDIT2: I would also watch this guy's transaction history to see if he's selling any other "perfect" MOCs. If he's selling a few of them in this kind of condition it's a pretty major red flag.

EDIT3: One other thing I noticed. The little dent in the middle of the bubble (the one Mattel designed, I think, to help prevent a figure's face paint from pressing against the bubble and wearing) is much more perfect and not as deep as the one I have. The plastic of the bubble generally appears to be higher quality than the original bubbles from '83 and '84. Press on the bubble a little and see how bendy or brittle it is. If it's very bendy and elastic it's likely custom created.
    Last edited by Universe; May 6, 2017 at 08:32pm.

Widget
    He said he got it a few years ago off eBay and was more than willing to take a return. So I'm gonna take him up on that. He didn't have any other Masters stuff up so my guess is he didn't know. Thanks