Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance NETFLIX Series

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I didn't even know they had "politics", lol. I just assumed everyone loved Netflix.
    Ha, no. It is all the rage these days to inject politics into everything. I know I cannot boycott everything, but I do try to be mindful of where my money goes to. If it is something I can do without, I do. I feel like the only thing that really talks these days is money.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I enjoy Netflix for some movies like Bright which is quite underrated and one of my fave films of 2017 as i found it to be an imaginative fantasy action film and can't wait for the sequel.

And i enjoy some of their original programming like Stranger Things, Punisher, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Bojack Horseman, Castlevania, The Toys that made Us, Love Death and Robots, F is for Family, Voltron and others.

So i think Netflix is a perfect place to have this series and it looks epic and anyone loves that it's using both practical and new effects together and respecting the source by giving us stories on the history of Thra?

Who thinks 1982 was an amazing year for movies? i mean you had Blade Runner, The Thing, ET. Star Trek II, Tron, Conan the Barbarian, Poltergeist, First Blood, Rocky III, Creepshow, The Dark Crystal, The Flight of Dragons, The Secret of NIMH, The Last Unicorn, Fast Times, Pink Floyd The Wall, 48 Hrs and more.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I enjoy Netflix for some movies like Bright which is quite underrated and one of my fave films of 2017 as i found it to be an imaginative fantasy action film and can't wait for the sequel.

And i enjoy some of their original programming like Stranger Things, Punisher, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Bojack Horseman, Castlevania, The Toys that made Us, Love Death and Robots, F is for Family, Voltron and others.

So i think Netflix is a perfect place to have this series and it looks epic and anyone loves that it's using both practical and new effects together and respecting the source by giving us stories on the history of Thra?

Who thinks 1982 was an amazing year for movies? i mean you had Blade Runner, The Thing, ET. Star Trek II, Tron, Conan the Barbarian, Poltergeist, First Blood, Rocky III, Creepshow, The Dark Crystal, The Flight of Dragons, The Secret of NIMH, The Last Unicorn, Fast Times, Pink Floyd The Wall, 48 Hrs and more.
    Nearly all those movies from 82 are awesome. I love The Flight Of Dragons. I did a painting based on it a few years ago.

Heroic Warrior
    Not just 82, but all of the 80's was amazing and totally awesome.

I just read that Helena Bonham Carter will be among the cast members of The Dark Crystal series. I absolutely LOVED her as Bellatrix Lestrange in the last four Harry Potter films and The Fairy Godmother in Cinderella.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Not just 82, but all of the 80's was amazing and totally awesome.
    I agree and looks like an amazing series eh? afterall Game of Thrones ended and we need something to satisfy fans of television fantasy and this show will definitely be a blockbuster even with the cast.

And you glad practical effects are making a comeback in the mainstream lately with this show, the Child's Play remake and more?

"As a filmmaker, one of my earliest influences was Jim Henson’s masterpiece The Dark Crystal, a movie that brought to life a universe rich in detail and teeming with incredible characters. The creativity in the film was limitless and groundbreaking for that time, restricted only by the special effects tools of its day.
    As I envision Age of Resistance, I am most excited about joining today’s film techniques with the practical visual effects that are such an integral part of The Dark Crystal – the artistry, the craftsmanship, the performances, and of course the puppets! It is a gift and an honor to work alongside the teams at The Jim Henson Company and Netflix, the artists at Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, and the Frouds, as we begin this new adventure, diving deeper into the world of Thra and working hard to bring fans all they have hoped for.
    – Louis Leterrier (Executive producer and show developer and director of the series)".

You heard it here from the director's mouth! it's an actual passion project made by a filmmaker who actually knows what's doing and like Denis villeneuve was to Blade Runner whom he has been a fan of BR all his life and when a sequel was greenlighted, he was passionate about doing the impossible of a sequel no one thought of as he deeply respected the world/ideas/characters of Blade Runner especially Deckard with his amazing sequel.

That's the thing if your gonna bring back a retro movie or property back, you have to have a fine filmmaker who has passion to do something like this as Louis grew up with the original movie since he was a kid seeing it at the movies when it came out in France in 1983 and he loved it as it was one of the movies that influenced him to make movies along with the classic Star Wars trilogy, Jaws and more.

It's not something like Ghostbusters which was an obvious corporate cash-in where Paul Feig didn't give a flying damn about the property nor any passion for the franchise and did the movie for the paycheck to fill in his pockets and it was an insulting disaster of a film Garbagebusters (I refuse to call it Ghostbusters as it was an insult to the franchise that was unfunny and had a horrible script and unlikable characters even the men were all a bunch of wussies/cowards/stuck up aholes and bad jokes and that the movie was just crap itself) or that Elm Street remake where Samuel Bayer who had little experience when only doing videos as he did it only for a paycheck and didn't give a damn about the property.

No, it's nothing like that but that's an important thing is you need to have actual passion for a property to make it work and this new show looks like a winner due to it. this series looks to be made to really honor and expand on the movie rather than just cash in like so many other franchises.i mean it's getting huge buzz, positive responses, big interests,solid cast, huge anticipation from Sci-fi/fantasy fans like myself who want something now that Game of Thrones has ended as it and The Witcher are hugely anticipated netflix fantasy shows even HBO's Watchmen and His Dark Materials. It's getting advertising, merchandise even books and all, it's gonna be a blockbuster series among fans and newcomers/a new generation of fans who are interested in the world of the dark crystal even the history of the world before Jen and Kira came along.

And once it becomes a huge hit on netflix, i guaranteed it will usher a new age of puppetry and animatronics and practical effects into hollywood and i hear two more seasons are coming. And it looks much better than star Wars episode 9.

Who's looking more forward to this than Rise of the Skywalker? i'm so burnt out on Star Wars after Last Jedi aka The Last Straw as i refused to support Disney's Star Wars since as i didn't pay to see Solo in theaters and not gonna give my money to Disney this year at the movies to see episode 9 as they wrecked the franchise and disrespected the characters i know and love like Luke by making him a failure and i'm a fan of the classic trilogy (despite i have some problems with Return of the Jedi but still the last good SW film) and the EU books/comics. This new Dark Crystal series looks more epic and better done than episode 9 as there is heart in this one.

This really does look exceptional.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I wish Jim Henson was alive to see the rebirth of some of his best works. It's truly sad that Billie Whitelaw passed away in 2014, but the new voice actor sounds up to the task. Don't know about the rest who are replacing the original voices of Chamberlain (Barry Dennen - 2017), Emperor/Ritual Master (Jerry Nelson - 2012), etc. And Benedict Wong sounds nothing like Michael Kilgarriff, so the Garthim Master (or The General as he's known in the prequel) won't sound right at all.

The biggest thing that worries me is the fact that it doesn't seem to include the man that gave the original movie its soul, Trevor Jones and his music.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I wish Jim Henson was alive to see the rebirth of some of his best works. It's truly sad that Billie Whitelaw passed away in 2014, but the new voice actor sounds up to the task. Don't know about the rest who are replacing the original voices of Chamberlain (Barry Dennen - 2017), Emperor/Ritual Master (Jerry Nelson - 2012), etc. And Benedict Wong sounds nothing like Michael Kilgarriff, so the Garthim Master (or The General as he's known in the prequel) won't sound right at all.

The biggest thing that worries me is the fact that it doesn't seem to include the man that gave the original movie its soul, Trevor Jones and his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxzzlpX1Dms
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This really does look exceptional.
    I heard from a podcast of TDC when they saw a sneak preview episode of this series of the first episode at the comic con that it's excellent even the new voices surprisingly good and good writing as it's everything a DC fan can ask for.

I also hear it might use the theme score from the movie as it's intro and outro, this will have different music since Trevor Jones retired from music but will use the theme for the intro. The guys who did the score to Spiderverse is doing the score.

Do you think this series will be Netflix's Game of Thrones in terms of an epic fantasy series?

You glad it's not a soulless moneygrab like Last Jedi, Ghostbusters 2016, Lion King remake, Elm Street remake and all that garbage and more in tune with Blade Runner 2049 of a passion project? i bet James would be proud of this. As for the voices these Skeksis are when they were in their prime and so was Aughra.

Final trailer.

Heroic Warrior
    It really looks like they're putting a lot of care into this series…based on the trailers it seems as if Thra will be nicely fleshed out. Looks like a feast for the eyes!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    It really looks like they're putting a lot of care into this series…based on the trailers it seems as if Thra will be nicely fleshed out. Looks like a feast for the eyes!!
    It does and a solid cast eh?

This looks really special, so looking forward to it

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post

I agree, it really looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post

Henson was a genius eh and looks like it's doing justice eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone senses a Demolition Man vibe with the idea that the Skeksis were kind and good just like Cocteau from that movie and Rian is like Edgar Friendly who can see there is greed, corruption, abuse of power and all that to the so called benevolent leader and the gelflings are like the scraps from that movie?

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

For anyone who's a fan of the original movie and Jim Henson even fantasy/sci-fi should check out this amazing must see series that is epic.

It takes 948 years after the events of the crystal splitting the Urseks apart to Urru aka Mystics and Skeksis and 50 years before the events of the movie. It seems the Skeksis act all nice and kind as deception even having gelflings for guards yet the mystics live somewhere else in a dream of peace. This has a Demolition Man feel to it with the idea of leaders who act all benevolent when they are evil inside as the Skeksis are much like Cocteau from that movie and Rian who is a gelfling guard finds the horrible truth that the Skeksis are abusing the crystal even draining some gelflings as he must open up a resistance to other gelflings in the world of Thra.

Excellent puppetry, practical effects, animatronics, model work and CGI and all that blended together and a 10 hour series that just feels epic in size and scope and is a very respectful worthy prequel to a classic and i bet Jim Henson is proud. Plus a nice all star cast too.

I believe there will be more mystics for season 2 and also flashback back story of the Urseks on how they split apart. This show is Game of Thrones with puppets.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; August 31, 2019 at 10:10am.

I think it's pretty neat. I love the world building with Thra and the new reveals about Gelfling culture with their different tribes and matriarchs (I haven't read most of the comics so I don't know how much was introduced there). Some things surprised me. I guess I'd thought more of the one thousand years after the Skekses appeared had to have been horrible, but according to this series the cursed landscape and near-genoide of the Gelflings were more recent events by the time of the movie. The visuals are great and while the voices aren't exactly the same, they're pretty close. Augra and Chamberlain (Simon Pegg!) are really good.

I'm curious if the series will tie in with some of the graphic novels like Creation Myths or the sequel Power of the Dark Crystal. I'd love to see Augra's son Raunip somehow. I don't mind them not remaking the comics, but I hope they consider those two stories in the future eventually.

My only criticism might be how limited the Gelfling's facial expressions still are. I didn't mind it in the original movie but there are a lot more Gelfling characters in this series so it's more noticeable. It doesn't ruin the show though, there is so much else to take in.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I think it's pretty neat. I love the world building with Thra and the new reveals about Gelfling culture with their different tribes and matriarchs (I haven't read most of the comics so I don't know how much was introduced there). Some things surprised me. I guess I'd thought more of the one thousand years after the Skekses appeared had to have been horrible, but according to this series the cursed landscape and near-genoide of the Gelflings were more recent events by the time of the movie. The visuals are great and while the voices aren't exactly the same, they're pretty close. Augra and Chamberlain (Simon Pegg!) are really good.

I'm curious if the series will tie in with some of the graphic novels like Creation Myths or the sequel Power of the Dark Crystal. I'd love to see Augra's son Raunip somehow. I don't mind them not remaking the comics, but I hope they consider those two stories in the future eventually.

My only criticism might be how limited the Gelfling's facial expressions still are. I didn't mind it in the original movie but there are a lot more Gelfling characters in this series so it's more noticeable. It doesn't ruin the show though, there is so much else to take in.
    anyone who grew up with the 1982 Jim Henson fantasy classic who is either an 80s kid or a 90s kid (ones who saw it on video or on Disney Channel in the 90s) or even those who are 80s/90s kids hybrids like me (born 38 years ago and adored the movie for for 34 years since i was 4 when my parents bought me the movie on VHS at 4 then 25 years ago i rebought the movie on Disney's VHS when i was 13 in 94 then in 2000 i replaced the tape with DVD then in 2009 with blu-ray and last year i bought the ultraHD 4K BD which is my first UltraHD 4K BD purchase).

I love the world building, different gelfling tribes, the origin of how Skektek got his eyes removed and all that. Maybe in season 2 we'll get a flashback of how the Urseks came and split into the two different races. And i hear there will be more mystics in season 2 and maybe in season 2 they can get Ron Perlman, Kevin Conroy, Jim Cummings, Frank Welker, Keith David, Brad Douriff, Charlie Adler and Rob Paulsen.

This is using practical effects, animatronics, people in suits, puppets, cgi, models and all balanced together and is a passion project made by people who have an actual love of the original and honoring Henson's legacy and respecting the material just like Blade Runner 2049 was to Blade Runner as that was an excellent sequel. It's not some lazy halfassed soulless passionless moneygrab insult like Ghostbusters 2016 aka Garbagebusters, Last Jedi, Robocop 3, Robocrap (2014 remake), Elm Street 2010, Alien 3 and other sequels after Aliens, Terminator sequels after T2 and all that garbage.

This looks like it's doing Jim proud! and nice cast too even Mark Hamil as the scientist.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone glad Henson company is getting respect? i mean DC, Labyrinth, Storyteller, Dinosaurs, Muppets, Fraggles, Ninja Turtles the movie 1990, Witches and more which Henson company worked on even Farscape

I spent the whole weekend watching it all and now I need to rewatch the movie . The creators did an amazing job and stayed true to the movie . Thanks to the movie we also know how this series is going to end . I am not looking forward to that or hoping they cancel the show before that . Seems they starting the extinction event with my favorite Deets . Not even a nice clean death nooo , a slow darkening cancer .....
    That totally sucks but it settles who Rian is going to hook up with now . I was wondering about that .

Those girl gelflings are a lazy bunch , they don't like flying very much for some reason . Also the whole architecture does not reflect that half the population can fly . The movie had the girl sporting butterfly wings but so far I see dragon fly wings . Do one of the tribes have butterfly wings ?

Although I am a child of the 80's I never knew of Dark Crystal and watched it for the first time in 2000 or 2001 . I think it's Jim Hensons best work .
    Last edited by Lokus; September 1, 2019 at 06:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I spent the whole weekend watching it all and now I need to rewatch the movie . The creators did an amazing job and stayed true to the movie . Thanks to the movie we also know how this series is going to end . I am not looking forward to that or hoping they cancel the show before that . Seems they starting the extinction event with my favorite Deets . Not even a nice clean death nooo , a slow darkening cancer .....
    That totally sucks but it settles who Rian is going to hook up with now . I was wondering about that .

Those girl gelflings are a lazy bunch , they don't like flying very much for some reason . Also the whole architecture does not reflect that half the population can fly . The movie had the girl sporting butterfly wings but so far I see dragon fly wings . Do one of the tribes have butterfly wings ?

Although I am a child of the 80's I never knew of Dark Crystal and watched it for the first time in 2000 or 2001 . I think it's Jim Hensons best work .
    Season 2 has been greenlighted and yes i agree Henson's finest work along with many others.

Did anyone like the Wanderer and the Heretic Skeksis and reminded anyone of Cheech and Chong and Zeke and Edsel from Heavy Metal (the stoner aliens)?

I've had Netflix for the past year or so, so I checked out the first two episodes. I like it enough that I will probably watch the rest of the season. It has pretty good cinematography. The characters are interesting enough. I could do without the puss zit character. I still prefer sequels over prequels usually, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've had Netflix for the past year or so, so I checked out the first two episodes. I like it enough that I will probably watch the rest of the season. It has pretty good cinematography. The characters are interesting enough. I could do without the puss zit character. I still prefer sequels over prequels usually, though.
    Yes the pus and snot Skeksis gelfling grossed me out but still solid epic prequel series and this is the best prequel ever made along with Temple of Doom.

I thought those two wierdo,s were going to merge as their big surprise .

I have only watched the first episode so far, but the show is visually stunning and I am digging the story line (so far).
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"