Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 119

Thread: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance NETFLIX Series

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    2,780
    The new figures are FAR superior to the first run.
    The sculpt, paint, and articulation are MUCH MUCH better!!

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    My kids gets freaked out by weird things. An episode of Fraggle Rock sent my daughter into one. The Fraggle was just going down a dark tunnel by himself and singing and she had to turn it off because it totally tweaked her. My kids are young and innocent, so I try to keep them from watching anything that is going to change that. I know some of you folks grew up watching horror movies and things, I did too, but I do not want that for my kids. They can choose to watch that content when they are older. We do very limited screen time, so I make sure it is worth our time.
    Well of course. It's a parent's job to screen stuff for their kids.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  3. #78
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Well of course. It's a parent's job to screen stuff for their kids.
    What a refreshing post! Thank you
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  4. #79
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    My kids gets freaked out by weird things. An episode of Fraggle Rock sent my daughter into one. The Fraggle was just going down a dark tunnel by himself and singing and she had to turn it off because it totally tweaked her.
    Just from that? Interesting...I was scared and intimidated by the giant Gorgs when I was a kid; not "terrified", but scared. I was so concerned for the fraggles! lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    The new figures are FAR superior to the first run.
    The sculpt, paint, and articulation are MUCH MUCH better!!
    But the originals were so wonderful. They were a labor of love.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  5. #80
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Just from that? Interesting...I was scared and intimidated by the giant Gorgs when I was a kid; not "terrified", but scared. I was so concerned for the fraggles! lol




    But the originals were so wonderful. They were a labor of love.
    I love Fraggle Rock. First VHS I ever got along with Star Fleet/X Bomber: The Quest For F-01.
    Coincidently both puppet shows LOL.
    I even called the first dog I got Sprocket.

  6. #81
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I even called the first dog I got Sprocket.
    Aww

    Yes, it's my opinion "Fraggle Rock" was the best half hour children's show ever created.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  7. #82
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Aww

    Yes, it's my opinion "Fraggle Rock" was the best half hour children's show ever created.
    I recall having a Dozers/Fraggle Rock book.
    If you ever get chance you should watch Star Fleet.

  8. #83
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    305
    I grew up on Muppets .

  9. #84
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,542
    I've let my kids watch the show. It might not be the most appropriate for my 7 year old, but he benefits from having a 10 year old brother. I was a little more strict on the older brother when he was 7, but since they are together most of the time, it is harder to let one watch something, but not the other. We are 8 episodes in, besides some deaths, it is not too spooky. The movie "Coraline" spooked my 7 year old more.

    As far as gay characters, they mention the two fathers and show them briefly, but it is not really focused on much. I don't think the Tavra girlfriend thing is even mentioned or shown at any point in time the show.

  10. #85
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    935
    It does seem to have its name moments though, at least based on the clips I've been watching. Such as when
     
    that gelfling Queen got murdered by the skeksis general but there was little in the way of actual damage.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  11. #86
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've let my kids watch the show. It might not be the most appropriate for my 7 year old, but he benefits from having a 10 year old brother. I was a little more strict on the older brother when he was 7, but since they are together most of the time, it is harder to let one watch something, but not the other. We are 8 episodes in, besides some deaths, it is not too spooky. The movie "Coraline" spooked my 7 year old more.

    As far as gay characters, they mention the two fathers and show them briefly, but it is not really focused on much. I don't think the Tavra girlfriend thing is even mentioned or shown at any point in time the show.
    My theory about that is maybe the first dad is bi and was married to a woman gelfling and she had a second child then after she had an accident, the dad was widowed then met a gay gelfling man and married him and both became fathers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I grew up on Muppets .
    Me too since i was 3 with the Muppet movie trilogy and Muppet babies in 1984 then at 4 my parents got me Dark Crystal and i had episodes of Fraggle rock taped off HBO and at 5 i saw Labyrinth in theaters then at 6 saw Storyteller on NBC then saw various Henson specials, saw Witches and Ninja Turtles (Henson worked on both with his company) at 8 going on 9, was 10 when Dinosaurs aired and taped every episode and all. Henson was one of my heroes.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Just from that? Interesting...I was scared and intimidated by the giant Gorgs when I was a kid; not "terrified", but scared. I was so concerned for the fraggles! lol




    But the originals were so wonderful. They were a labor of love.
    I think she was afraid he was going to get eaten - LOL!

    Now the same kid is completely obsessed with sci fi. She has watched some of the Terminator movies (minus the killing, I have her close her eyes) because she loves the story line. It is amazing to me that cyborgs from the future do not scare her, but a Fraggle walking down a dark cave (potentially to his doom) set her off. Kids are fickle!

    - - - Updated - - -

    For the record, my Step Mom is gay (LONG story) and so is one of my cousins. We have gay friends who come over for dinner and parties. My children are aware that gay people exist. My problem is when people take it too far. Thankfully I think most media (that I am interested in at least) has not done this. I do not think kids should be exposed to sexuality (gay or straight) until it is age appropriate. It freaks me out that there are people out there who think 'love has no age limit' and children should be exposed to sexual things, but that is a topic for another thread.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  13. #88
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I think she was afraid he was going to get eaten - LOL!

    Now the same kid is completely obsessed with sci fi. She has watched some of the Terminator movies (minus the killing, I have her close her eyes) because she loves the story line. It is amazing to me that cyborgs from the future do not scare her, but a Fraggle walking down a dark cave (potentially to his doom) set her off. Kids are fickle!

    - - - Updated - - -

    For the record, my Step Mom is gay (LONG story) and so is one of my cousins. We have gay friends who come over for dinner and parties. My children are aware that gay people exist. My problem is when people take it too far. Thankfully I think most media (that I am interested in at least) has not done this. I do not think kids should be exposed to sexuality (gay or straight) until it is age appropriate. It freaks me out that there are people out there who think 'love has no age limit' and children should be exposed to sexual things, but that is a topic for another thread.
    Do you think GLBT themes can work on adult animation like Bojack Horseman, Family Guy, any Japanese animation and all? The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance is a show more aimed at teens and adults.

    I mean the show is complex and full of political intrigue on kingdoms and all even some violence and gross stuff. It's TV PG and means definitely aimed at teenagers and adults.

    Like i said the two dads is no problem as they are minor characters not major ones.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  14. #89
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,931
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Do you think GLBT themes can work on adult animation like Bojack Horseman, Family Guy, any Japanese animation and all? The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance is a show more aimed at teens and adults.

    I mean the show is complex and full of political intrigue on kingdoms and all even some violence and gross stuff. It's TV PG and means definitely aimed at teenagers and adults.

    Like i said the two dads is no problem as they are minor characters not major ones.
    Yeah I have zero problem with representation in adult shows. I think those of us who grew up on comics and with movies like DC assume that they are geared toward children as well. Then you watch them and realize they have way too many adult themes. The only problem I have with representation is just cramming it in for the sake of being 'inclusive.' I have said this before, but most of my gay friends and family agree. Many of them call it 'cringe worthy' and 'pandering.' I only have one REALLY extreme gay friend who seems to love it all, but his world view is very odd - LOL! He told me he knows more about being a woman than I do.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  15. #90
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Yeah I have zero problem with representation in adult shows. I think those of us who grew up on comics and with movies like DC assume that they are geared toward children as well. Then you watch them and realize they have way too many adult themes. The only problem I have with representation is just cramming it in for the sake of being 'inclusive.' I have said this before, but most of my gay friends and family agree. Many of them call it 'cringe worthy' and 'pandering.' I only have one REALLY extreme gay friend who seems to love it all, but his world view is very odd - LOL! He told me he knows more about being a woman than I do.

    Not all comics are for kids as back then there was Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Swamp Thing, Frank Miller's stuff, Alan Moore's stuff etc. proven that in the 80s and 90s.

    And not all cartoons are for kids, like i said stuff like Watership Down, Heavy Metal, American Pop, Fire and Ice, Wizards, Bojack Horseman, Duckman, Simpsons (Seasons 1 to Behind the Laughter only), Regular Show, DC animation, Fantastic Planet, Fritz the Cat, Tucca and Bertie, Dark Knight Returns the movie, The Critic, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Vampire Hunter D movies, Castlevania, Princess Mononoke etc. are proof animation isn't just for kids. I did grew up with some adult animation since i was 4/5 starting with Starchaser in theaters even Transformers the movie in theaters and Rock and Rule taped off HBO by my parents as those were PG rated and quite dark animated works.

    And puppetry isn't just for kids either, take Dinosaurs for example remember that one? Jim Henson company's first puppet series aimed at adults yet kids did watched it and it was TV PG and i was 10 years old when it first came out and taped every episode even on syndicated TV and been a Henson fan all my life and knew of Dinosaurs in magazines 3 years before it aired. Even Ninja Turtles the movie was one of Jim Henson Company's darkest creations and the comic was not aimed at kids until they made a cartoon series which became a hit with hits as the movie combined the comics with bits of the animated show.

    There's also the Rocko's Modern Life special which has Ralph Bighead who became Rachel after getting a sex change operation and it's based on Joe Murray (the creator of Rocko's Modern Life) who had the original idea for "I have no son" in the early 90s but the idea was too taboo for 90s nick, so he revived the idea.

    Dark Crystal's audience is mostly 80s kids and 90s kids (ones who saw it on video in the 90s due to their parents renting it or buying them the movie or those 90s kids seeing it on Disney Channel) and this show is now a smash on Netflix and getting season 2 as i'm glad it's a success and now popular creating new fans to the franchise.

    So how far have you gotten into the series Icy? what episodes do you like?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  16. #91
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,817
    With kids it's often less fickle and their inability to express what it is they are having a problem with. Made worse by the mind having a recollection of something that, but the door has been locked even at an early age. She could have had a bad experience with a darkened hallway, and seeing it on TV kind of knocked on the door of that memory but the door didn't open.

    Kids minds often make links that in the grand scheme of things don't make sense, one of my coworkers used to have an scorpion that was in a glass almost like an amber thing. In her mind as a kid as long she had that it would scare off live scorpions. She's not sure what made the initial connection.

    Kids are notorious that if they know someone who dies, and the kid will often associate something with the last time they saw the individual or when the information was shared with them with death. This could be something they were eating, wearing or any number of things. Sometimes it's obvious, my disliking the stuff clown my grandparents got me as a kid, and my viewing poltergeist just before it. The problem is approaching the child will often end with it freaks me out and that's the end of the conversation because the negative emotions the kid doesn't find to their liking and they can't control it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  17. #92
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    With kids it's often less fickle and their inability to express what it is they are having a problem with. Made worse by the mind having a recollection of something that, but the door has been locked even at an early age. She could have had a bad experience with a darkened hallway, and seeing it on TV kind of knocked on the door of that memory but the door didn't open.

    Kids minds often make links that in the grand scheme of things don't make sense, one of my coworkers used to have an scorpion that was in a glass almost like an amber thing. In her mind as a kid as long she had that it would scare off live scorpions. She's not sure what made the initial connection.

    Kids are notorious that if they know someone who dies, and the kid will often associate something with the last time they saw the individual or when the information was shared with them with death. This could be something they were eating, wearing or any number of things. Sometimes it's obvious, my disliking the stuff clown my grandparents got me as a kid, and my viewing poltergeist just before it. The problem is approaching the child will often end with it freaks me out and that's the end of the conversation because the negative emotions the kid doesn't find to their liking and they can't control it.
    How did you feel about the
     
    paper beetle scene?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  18. #93
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,931
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    So how far have you gotten into the series Icy? what episodes do you like?
    I only watched the one so far and I thought it was visually stunning and I liked the plot. I am not sure if I will be able to finish it before my free Netflix trial is up though. I want to watch it when the kids are in bed and the hubby has little interest. The past three nights we watched the Expendable movies. I am a HUGE action fan, especially 'cheesy' 90's style action.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  19. #94
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,817
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    How did you feel about the
    I just started the series today.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  20. #95
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I just started the series today.
    How many episodes you seen?

    And do you think this show has a solid cast even Simon Pegg who nails down the character of Chamberlin?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  21. #96
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,817
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    How many episodes you seen?

    And do you think this show has a solid cast even Simon Pegg who nails down the character of Chamberlin?
    Just the first, does a great job of a quick world build and hooking you for the full plot. We only watch shows on Sunday, Wednesdays. We had planned to start last Wednesday but internet issues.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    For season 2 here's my ideal voice cast.

    Skekung the garthim master/replacement general/future emperor should be Clancy Brown or Charlie Adler.
    Skekhod the treasurer should be voiced by John DiMaggio.


    For mystics
    Jim Cummings as the leader of the mystics Ursu.
    Keith David.
    Rob Paulsen.
    Brad Douriff.
    Kevin Conroy.
    Canadian voice actor John Stocker.
    Ron Perlman.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  23. #98
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,817
    To answer the question, didn't bother me. They also have a gif of that on the instagram page right now. I think it was done well and could see why it might freak someone out, there is a big difference between 8 year old me and 40 year old me with a lot of that stuff though.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  24. #99
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    To answer the question, didn't bother me. They also have a gif of that on the instagram page right now. I think it was done well and could see why it might freak someone out, there is a big difference between 8 year old me and 40 year old me with a lot of that stuff though.
    Do you think that scene in Zombie aka Zombi 2 was much worse on eye violence?

    And did you thought Hamil was fantastic as the voice of Scientist? and does Aughra remind anyone of Gaia from Captain Planet only better and more wittier?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  25. #100
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,189
    Finally finished the series. What great show. Good voice cast, great characters, wonderful puppets and effects. Just beautiful and worthy continuation of the film.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •