Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance NETFLIX Series

I remember The Dark Crystal back in the day. It's really cool that they made this series and with the intention of keeping that same feel of the original movie. It was 1982 that it came out and that was a really cool time so us older "kids" who knew what it was like back then like to see things like this.

blooper real

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-dark-cry...YRhIMuYIwB7mn4

two more episodes left for me
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Okay so, yeah, I've decided to start watching the series. First episode was interesting. Rian is kind of a little punk.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Finally finished the series. What great show. Good voice cast, great characters, wonderful puppets and effects. Just beautiful and worthy continuation of the film.
    I bet you can't wait for season 2 for the Garthim, Skekung, Skehshod the treasurer and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    I remember The Dark Crystal back in the day. It's really cool that they made this series and with the intention of keeping that same feel of the original movie. It was 1982 that it came out and that was a really cool time so us older "kids" who knew what it was like back then like to see things like this.
    You remembered seeing it back then? my parents did and i saw it on HBO at age 4 and had it taped, loved it since then and been one of my favorites and been a Henson fan. I even rebought the movie 25 years ago when i was 13 with paper route money then in 2000 when i got my DVD player i replaced it with the DVD then in 2009 with the blu-ray then last year my first UltraHD 4K BD purchase.

Henson's work even his company have been very influential stuff over the years and giving us unique products like Muppets, Fraggle Rock Sesasme Street, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Storyteller, The Witches, Ninja Turtles the movie, Dinosaurs, Farscape, The Storyteller, Dreamchild and more. And now Dark Crystal AOR is their biggest triumph in a long time since Dinosaurs and Farscape.

And it's now not just 80s kids or 90s kids (those who saw it on video in the 90s or watched it on Disney Channel) or hybrids like myself (born 81) but creating new fans and that's a good thing since it's a timeless story and the graphic novels, books and series are a gateway to the movie and now there is new merchandise and stuff and the show is a blockbuster on netflix.

And you glad they didn't pander it down like this sketch on Robot Chicken?

This Robot Chicken satire parody of Dark Crystal sequel with executive meddling reminds me of 90s executive mentality of trying to be "cool" to older stuff like Poochie on Simpsons and Yo Yogi, but i'm glad Netflix executives weren't this stupid and be true to Henson's vision on their amazing prequel.

And do you agree with me this and Blade Runner 2049 are the only retro 80s movie revivals done right where lazy halfassed attempts like Ghostbusters, Robocop, Elm Street etc. failed miserably?

Blade Runner 2049 and AOR are examples how you properly revive an older manner. Take Denise Villanue who is an excellent director and he made some quality films and is a passionate fan of Blade Runner since the beginning and influenced him to make movies, so he made the film because he was passionate about the project even hired some good writers being one of them one of the writers for the original and expand upon the classic film. Louis Linterrier is a servicable director despite he's no Luc Besson but still servicable as he did well on the first 2 Transporter films, Unleashed and Incredible Hulk 2008 and he has been a fan of Dark Crystal since he saw it in 1983 in his country as a kid at the movies and one of the films that influenced him to become a filmmaker. Plus he heard about a prequel series project he was in and even the writers and some of the stars are fans of the original film even the guy who played Elton John in Rocketman grew up with Henson's works and so was Simon Pegg who saw it at the movies growing up when he was 12.
    The key ingredient is fine directors who are fans of originals even writers who are fans of the properties and actual passion, love and care for both the movies and projects they are doing even giving a damn.

And be glad Aughra and Skeksis even Blade Runner's Deckard were not treated like Luke Skywalker in Last Straw and Ripley in Alien 3 of turning them into hollow shells of their former selves who became emo sadsacks who resent themselves. I mean that was just wrong what they did to 2 characters i cared about growing up as Luke was one of my heroes growing up and Ripley one of the coolest heroines and what they did to them was unforgivable. I'm glad Aughra and Skeksis remained true to themselves, even Detective Deckard.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Okay so, yeah, I've decided to start watching the series. First episode was interesting. Rian is kind of a little punk.
    He's kind of like Raphael the turtle or Robbie Sinclair in aspects with his rebellious attitude eh?

Speaking of Ninja Turtles, who else thought this campfire ceremony sequence in episode 6 "By Gelfling hand" is the most touching campfire sequence in a Henson production since Ninja Turtles the movie and one of the most emotional Henson company stuff since the last episode of Dinosaurs and Saying Goodbye in Muppets Take Manhattan? it's hard to believe in AOR, Ninja Turtles, Muppets Take Manhattan and Dinosaurs that you forget your watching puppets and animatronics and feeling for the characters.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

And all done, looking forward to season 2. I loved how they were able to make emotional scenes still touch you considering the limitations of the puppets. Am I the only who who thought Deet's brother was going to start saying Redrum at one point?

Will be interesting if they do tie in any creations myths, looking to read the tie in novels, but some seem to diverge from what happened here so we shall see. The sequel comics probably easy to toss a a reference like they did with Raunip's pass

Also trying to see if I can piece together which clans Jen and Kira are from. Jen seems most like stonewood, and Kira Vapra.
    Last edited by wyldman11; September 29, 2019 at 08:05pm.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Court Magician
    Any one know when the second season might be, I fully invested now. I happened to watch the original dark crystal movie with my daughter 14 and 10, they enjoyed it probably not as much as me, but they were amazed at how cool all the puppetry was. They also could not tell male from female either, but this new updated dark crystal they loved it and the story line is so good. Emotional and full of characteristics of real life. Im reved up for more.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    And all done, looking forward to season 2. I loved how they were able to make emotional scenes still touch you considering the limitations of the puppets. Am I the only who who thought Deet's brother was going to start saying Redrum at one point?

Will be interesting if they do tie in any creations myths, looking to read the tie in novels, but some seem to diverge from what happened here so we shall see. The sequel comics probably easy to toss a a reference like they did with Raunip's pass

Also trying to see if I can piece together which clans Jen and Kira are from. Jen seems most like stonewood, and Kira Vapra.
    Yup, and that funeral sequence was touching eh? almost makes you feel bad for animatronics and puppets and forget your seeing puppets but living breathing creatures.

What about other touching Henson company moments like the firecamp sequence from Ninja Turtles the movie, Saying Goodbye from Muppets Take Manhattan and Dinosaur's Changing Nature episode? those make viewers cry and forget they are seeing puppets and animatronics but living creatures.

A puppet show within a puppet show. I'm impressed. Must say Deet is quickly becoming my favorite of the gelflings. And the show has managed to make me think better of the Chamberlain. Honestly, from the movie, I just thought he was terrible at his job. And Skek-Mal seems to be a Skeksi on steroids. For some reason his movements remind me more of a giant rat than it does a bird or lizard.

Aughra's redemption arc was a nice touch. Given how a lot of this could be seen as her fault too, it's nice they didn't just let her off the hook. Only a few more episodes to go.

Something I think should be addressed in season 2.

The fact that at least 2 Skeksi are able to not only survive but one is able to more than thrive without draining energy from the crystal .

The fact that at least 2 Skeksi are able to not only survive but one is able to more than thrive without draining energy from the crystal .
    Heretic, Hunter, and The Mariner...

You kinda do wonder how they were pulling it off. You really can't find two more different characters than Heretic and Hunter, so it seems unlikely they'd have the same trick working for them.

One theory isn't they weren't pulling it off and more their distance from the crystal.

Would be interesting to see what comes out of Mariner joining up, and the other Skeksi (future garthim master etc). As in ways Heretic most obviously, but Skekmal wasn't exactly what I would consider evil. If I were to give him a D&D alignment it would be chaotic neutral.

I think crystal draining is an addictive drug habit .

Hunter is your typical health fanatic while most skekses are couch potatoe junkies .
    Last edited by Lokus; October 11, 2019 at 05:50am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I think crystal draining is an addictive drug habit .

Hunter is your typical health fanatic while most skekses are couch potatoe junkies .
    Skeksis are metaphors for corrupt politicans and gangsters with a bit of crackheads or junkies as the Crystal with essence are like their drugs

The Dark Crystal remains one of my favorite films from my childhood, I used to watch it all the time. The Netflix series really does it justice, the work behind the scenes was just fantastic, you can tell how much they love and respect the movie. I loved the visuals, loved the new characters as much as the returning ones from the film. The voice acting was just wonderful! There's so much to love about this series, I can't wait for season 2!

Agreed. This is a great show - it's almost like we got 10 mini movies!
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Who else thought Simon Pegg was perfect casting as Skeksil the chamberlin?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Who else thought Simon Pegg was perfect casting as Skeksil the chamberlin?
    He is a VERY good stand-in, but no one can beat the original.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    He is a VERY good stand-in, but no one can beat the original.
    And this show has a solid cast and do you think the aughra who voiced Aughra sounds like Billie Whitelaw?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And this show has a solid cast and do you think the aughra who voiced Aughra sounds like Billie Whitelaw?
    Yes! Absolutely! I had to look up cast members to confirm they weren't the original.