Page 4 of 200 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix on Nov 13th, 2018

With these auditions supposedly happening, one would think more stuff would have leaked out into the media by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    There was:
    Wow, interesting. Reminds me of Fooly Cooly. God, that's over 10 years old! I don't get the obsession with turning them all into musicians though. Where's Jem and the Holograms as non-singing crime-fighters then?
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With these auditions supposedly happening, one would think more stuff would have leaked out into the media by now.
    How far along in the process do you guys think DreamWorks is at this stage, and do you think this She-Ra cartoon series would be slated for a 2018 release?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    How far along in the process do you guys think DreamWorks is at this stage, and do you think this She-Ra cartoon series would be slated for a 2018 release?
    Tough to guess. It could be something that comes on fast and furious if all the components fall into place.
    I'm excited, no matter what! We're seeing a lot of She-Ra related merchandise news pop up lately, which I think is a very good sign.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

It seems to me that between it being She Ra and Dreamworks being involved, we're probably going to get something along the lines of the Voltron series where it's a new, fresh spin without being too far gone from the original. New stories and relationships but with characters and an overall setting that's familiar. You make a series like that and put it on Netflix (where I'm currently watching the original series) and I'll watch that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I would take this with a pinch of salt, but my understanding is that the computer modelling software that has been in development for a few years and which DreamWorks Animation had been intending to use for the new She-Ra series was launched earlier this year. This could explain why auditions are now going ahead. I will also say it is a weird feeling when you are at a normal business meeting in the UK where no one knows you are a keen She-Ra & He-Man fan and you are informed that DreamWorks Animation is making a new She-Ra series.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

So it will be a CG animated series?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I will also say it is a weird feeling when you are at a normal business meeting in the UK where no one knows you are a keen She-Ra & He-Man fan and you are informed that DreamWorks Animation is making a new She-Ra series.
    Can you say any more on this? More on what the normal business meeting was about and the context of that She-Ra revelation?

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    I'm so anxious to find out more about this
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

Heroic Warrior
    How crazy would it be if we get the reverse of the Filmation storyline. Meaning first we are introduced to She-Ra/Etheria/Hordak, etc. then have some type of minimovie special where she goes to Eternia and discovers He-man (her bro) and everything that world entails. All to launch a companion He-man series.

Boom. Where's my paycheck. ha

Keep in mind I don't mean this to sideline He-Man. Just an interesting twist to start from her POV then lead to all the familiar characters in a new series along side this series.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RaulDuke View Post
    How crazy would it be if we get the reverse of the Filmation storyline. Meaning first we are introduced to She-Ra/Etheria/Hordak, etc. then have some type of minimovie special where she goes to Eternia and discovers He-man (her bro) and everything that world entails. All to launch a companion He-man series.

Boom. Where's my paycheck. ha

Keep in mind I don't mean this to sideline He-Man. Just an interesting twist to start from her POV then lead to all the familiar characters in a new series along side this series.
    This "twist" actually does exactly this, it sidelines He-Man, by making him a secondary character that doesn't deserve to be introduced in his own series, but like a guest star in another series. It also gives the message that He-Man is a failure that can't stand in his own series even if in chronological and from a storytelling order this part of the MOTU is coming first. Dreamworks's idea to keep He-Man and Eternia out of the She-Ra series is the best for both franchises in this case. She-Ra can make it easily without any He-Man reference. And on the other hand the Masters of the Universe deserve to be introduced in their own series properly (when or if it ever happen).
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 12:45pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    This "twist" actually does exactly this, it sidelines He-Man, by making him a secondary character that doesn't deserve to be introduced in his own series, but like a guest star in another series. It also gives the message that He-Man is a failure that can't stand in his own series even if in chronological and from a storytelling order this part of the MOTU is coming first. Dreamworks's idea to keep He-Man and Eternia out of the She-Ra series is the best for both franchises in this case. She-Ra can make it easily without any He-Man reference. And on the other hand the Masters of the Universe deserve to be introduced in their own series properly (when or if it ever happen).
    Well the intent (at least in my mind) would not be to treat He-Man or MOTU as secondary, but as something big being built up to. I was just saying since they are introducing She-Ra now without MOTU it would be nice to bring He-Man and his world into his own show later via a movie and her new series as a flip on the original series. But yeah I get where it would come off as him being less than or secondary probably no matter how its done.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RaulDuke View Post
    Well the intent (at least in my mind) would not be to treat He-Man or MOTU as secondary, but as something big being built up to. I was just saying since they are introducing She-Ra now without MOTU it would be nice to bring He-Man and his world into his own show later via a movie and her new series as a flip on the original series. But yeah I get where it would come off as him being less than or secondary probably no matter how its done.
    The problem is that going by this way the whole building up of Eternia, the impact, the escalation of events are getting lost. For this reason it would be better that this She-Ra series being introduced without any He-Man or Eternian presence. She-Ra has the characters and the plots to carry the series without He-Man and Eternia being involved or introduced in a second place as a quest stars or in a associated movie. The Masters of the Universe mythos has a lot to be said, so in respect to that, it deserves to be introduced as its own series, if this ever happens, instead of being presented as a sideline or secondary project, or a movie associated to another series.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 02:04pm.

I personally wouldn't mind a new She-Ra cartoon being a jumping off point to introduce a new He-Man one.
    They are part of the same universe, so I never see one as lesser than the other. Yes, She-Ra was the sister property that spun off of MOTU. But I see them as equally important, at least through my "fan eyes."
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind a new She-Ra cartoon being a jumping off point to introduce a new He-Man one.
    They are part of the same universe, so I never see one as lesser than the other. Yes, She-Ra was the sister property that spun off of MOTU. But I see them as equally important, at least through my "fan eyes."
    Then why don't follow the chronological order of events? Let's be honest. The whole thing would give the feeling that He-Man's part of the mythos pass to a secondary fate, and not being of equal importance. A She-Ra series without involving He-Man wouldn't create such a problem, and it would left open the possibility to introduce He-Man in his own series, and not like some kind of "poor relative".This would mean to treat both parts equally.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 02:18pm.

Then why don't follow the chronological order of events? Let's be honest. The whole thing would give the feeling that He-Man's part of the mythos pass to a secondary fate, and not being of equal importance. A She-Ra series without involving He-Man wouldn't create such a problem, and it would left open the possibilty to introduce He-Man in his own series, and not like some kind of "poor relative".
    I get what you're saying. But that ties things verbatim to the vintage canon from Filmation. Yet, there's nothing that requires new entertainment or ideas to be rooted to exactly what happened in past incarnations. New cartoons and movies don't need to replicate exactly what came before. As long as they embrace the core concepts (which I realize is a subjective subject for hard core fans like us), then it leaves room for a lot of interpretation that I suspect most people would be fine with.

Heroic Warrior
    I get what you're saying. But that ties things verbatim to the vintage canon from Filmation. Yet, there's nothing that requires new entertainment or ideas to be rooted to exactly what happened in past incarnations. New cartoons and movies don't need to replicate exactly what came before. As long as they embrace the core concepts (which I realize is a subjective subject for hard core fans like us), then it leaves room for a lot of interpretation that I suspect most people would be fine with.
    In that case it would be even easier to not have any He-Man involvement. The She-Ra series could be done in a new canon, without a He-Man reference. And He-Man could be introduced in his own series, out of respect to the character and the world that started it all, and later make a crossover between the two series. This would be an equal treatment without introducing He-Man as a second-tier character to another series. She-Ra in the 80's was introduced in her own series. He-Man deserves the same treatment, to be introduced in his own series.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 02:35pm.

In that case it would be even easier to not have any He-Man involvement. The She-Ra series could be done in a new canon, without a He-Man reference. And He-Man could be introduced in his own series, out of respect to the character and the world that started it all, and later make a crossover between the two series. This would be an equal treatment without introducing He-Man as a second-tier character to another series. She-Ra in the 80's was introduced in her own series. He-Man deserves the same treat.
    Sure, that's true too: They could keep He-Man out of She-Ra completely.
    But, IMO, I don't see why they couldn't have all of that: have He-Man in a new She-Ra cartoon, then also have a new He-Man cartoon that came out later which didn't even have to be tied to the She-Ra cartoon. Anything is possible.

Heroic Warrior
    have He-Man in a new She-Ra cartoon
    The problem is that in this case He-Man after all this time not being mainstream, he wouldn't be introduced properly in his own series, but as a secondary character, and worse he would be viewed only as a simple plot device for the She-Ra series. The most simple way to avoid this, is to not have He-Man being involved. And really if the She-Ra series is a whole new stuff, it could easily be done, without hurting the series itself, and at the same time saving He-Man's introduction for a MOTU series. If Dreamworks has in mind to do a She-Ra series without a He-Man involvement as was left to be intent in this thread, in my opinion, it's a wise and just decision.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 02:54pm.

The problem is that in this case He-Man after all this time not being mainstream, he wouldn't be introduced properly in his own series, but as a secondary character, and worse he would be viewed only as a simple plot device for the She-Ra series.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that, my good man.

Heroic Warrior
    Perhaps.

Anyway ending by taking as an example the MCU. Every major Marvel character was introduced in his own movie, and then they started to appear in the other MCU movies as well. This way each character, even if they are part of the same Universe, was introduced through its own storyline, and afterwards they have been added to the bigger picture, while mantaining equally their own specific storyline, their proper identity and importance. In the same way, He-Man even if part of the same universe, he deserves to be introduced in his own media, independently from She-Ra, and then proceed to the crossover.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 03:25pm.

Heroic Warrior
    the last thing I'd want would be a "Supergirl" like situation: where all first season of Supergirl people were like "where's Superman, where's Superman?" and when we do get him front and center in Season 2 he overshadowed Supergirl so much so the whole second season was kinda meh without him, second season being meh to begin with.

Last thing DreamWorks would want is a She-Ra show were He-Man becomes the main draw of it's bigger ratings for those He-Man centric She-Ra episodes, that without him She-Ra gets cancelled; like in the 80's version.

but...that's jus me....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    the last thing I'd want would be a "Supergirl" like situation: where all first season of Supergirl people were like "where's Superman, where's Superman?" and when we do get him front and center in Season 2 he overshadowed Supergirl so much so the whole second season was kinda meh without him, second season being meh to begin with.

Last thing DreamWorks would want is a She-Ra show were He-Man becomes the main draw of it's bigger ratings for those He-Man centric She-Ra episodes, that without him She-Ra gets cancelled; like in the 80's version.

but...that's jus me....
    And for one of these reasons, He-Man needs to be left out, not being involved at all, and eventually be kept for his own series, if this ever happens. And if a MOTU series happens then they can do a crossover at a certain point, like CW did between Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl. Each one has had their own tv series, and afterwards it came the crossover. If a MOTU series doesn't happen, the She-Ra can continue to be as its own stuff.

Heroic Warrior
    I actually agree with you, Val. I know this is a little different since MOTU and POP have existed before, but I am looking at it the way I did three other TV series and their crossovers. My examples for crossovers are Xena, Angel, and The Originals. These series were spinoff's of Hercules, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and The Vampire Diaries, respectively. Even though Xena, Angel, and the Originals (Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, and Finn) were all introduced in the other shows first, they each went on to have their own shows that proved their characters were much more than secondary and more than capable of handling their own stories. In fact, each of these series went on (or are still going on) to last at least one more season after the originals series had ended.

I'm guessing this new cartoon, if it happens, will be pretty divorced from MOTU. I wouldn't even expect Hordak and the Horde MOTU minions in it. I'd assume Catra would be the main villain.