Page 51 of 200 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4986

Thread: Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix on Nov 13th, 2018

Heroic Warrior
    it looks like yet another cheaply designed teen titans go rip off, that soooo many shows have a similair style too these days. possibly because it's cheaper to animate and moves more fluidly.

ugh. the stories might be good, but the look of the design is so ugly...like someone else said previously, a guy in biker shorts.

I don't know what's going on in the art industry among new and upcoming artist. The image from the magazine looks cringe worthy. It's almost as bad as the ThunderCats ROAR misery. The proportion is all wrong, her body shape is more masculine as opposed to a teenage female anatomy. I have no problems with the bike shorts under the skirt as I actually think that's a very cool and unique fashion sense, it shows a different dynamic to how a girl can dress. But the art lacks a lot to be desired, everything looks flat, muted and low budget and that isn't synonymous with quality. The fan art looks better than the She-Ra show's alleged art. We need to return to the high quality art and character designs of 2010, 2011, like the excellent art from ThunderCats, Young Justice and the Amethyst Princess of Gemworld.

We don't have to shut up and kiss up to everything and praise it just because it's "new" and "modern." Something can be new, modern and contemporary while still maintaining high quality standards. Don't give me the crappy excuse that she is a tomboy. Korra was a tomboy but she still looked like a female and had great bodily anatomy and proportions.

Korra was also in her early 20s, I believe, and a rather beefy gal in her own right. If this She-Ra is meant to be more of a teenager, it makes sense for her to have a slighter build. Plus She-Ra is wearing armor over Korra's more form fitting cloth.

Not saying it's a perfect style, and they can probably tweak it before the final product, but this is no where near Teen Titans Go or Thundercats Roar levels of ugly.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I must follow a very different group of people on social media, because my Twitter feed is full of people that are incredibly excited for this. Its all fan art, praise and anticipation. And a healthy mix of people incredulous that anyone would be upset about a kid's cartoon not being sexy enough.

I can't wait to see it.
    That's awesome. And I agree with you on being excited to see the new show.

Because the art is good.
    What people don't like is the style.
    Huge difference there.

It's okay if people don't like what they see. But because someone doesn't like the style does not mean the art is bad. And if someone is claiming the art is bad, they are revealing a lack of knowledge and understanding about illustration and animation. They might think it's bad, but it isn't. Instead, it's just not their stylistic cup of tea, and I wish more people would learn to make that distinction when they comment.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Because the art is good.
    What people don't like is the style.
    Huge difference there.

It's okay if people don't like what they see. But because someone doesn't like the style does not mean the art is bad. And if someone is claiming the art is bad, they are revealing a lack of knowledge and understanding about illustration and animation. They might think it's bad, but it isn't. Instead, it's just not their stylistic cup of tea, and I wish more people would learn to make that distinction when they comment.
    Could not agree more. Art is, by its nature, subjective. I have no problem with people liking or disliking anything. I'm the same way - there are popular artists I just don't get and there are less popular ones that I think are incredibly brilliant.

Obviously it makes for a better experience if you can, at least, appreciate the art.

But I have a HUGE problem with the idea that art is bad if it isn't what you want it to be. I think that's an incredibly selfish and ignorant position to take.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Could not agree more. Art is, by its nature, subjective. I have no problem with people liking or disliking anything. I'm the same way - there are popular artists I just don't get and there are less popular ones that I think are incredibly brilliant.

Obviously it makes for a better experience if you can, at least, appreciate the art.

But I have a HUGE problem with the idea that art is bad if it isn't what you want it to be. I think that's an incredibly selfish and ignorant position to take.
    I agree 100%.

I completely understand fans who have a nostalgic connection to what they grew up with and they prefer that look and feel. But we also have to recognize there's a lot of people out there who talk and have talked for decades about how "bad" the Filmation art is. But it's also good art, with its own stylistic take. Not every style is going to gel with every person. And that's exactly what is happening here with this new She-Ra cartoon.

But, maybe the fans with an initial negative reaction to the look of this new cartoon will eventually give it a shot. It might possibly grow on them over time.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I like the art. I think it’s fine. I am tired of people claiming it looks like a boy. And how it needs to be more feminine. Which I’ve claimed basically you want her to have big breasts! Which are hanging out! Anyway, what I worry is the storytelling! I want it to be good. If what has been told to me regarding the show from people in the know. I’m hoping I will enjoy it!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Warrior
    Terrible design. Not a fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpvCsHI50yU

Link to the video... some valid points.
    Very much agreed. See a lot of correlation with The Last Jedi.

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I found that critique highly problematic.

Geeky Sparkles said near the end that they’ve removed all femininity from this she-ra, because she’s got buff arms and a small chest... I mean, shoot, my cousin’s gf has bigger arms (they lift together). Some women have small/flat chests - these women aren’t unfeminine.

The implications of these kinds of comments really undercut GS’s overall gripes, I think... and given Rae’s prior comments to the folks at Progressive of Power re: body diversity, we shouldn’t expect any one character to be putting forward any so-called archtype of femininity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Heroic Warrior
    That was not her only argument. She made a lot of points. A lot of fair ones. And not just about She-Ra but at-large and larger issues.

I don't understand the hate. I think she looks tremendous. Different, yes. Unexpected, perhaps but tremendous IMO. If the animation is on par with the Legend of Korra and Voltron I think this show will knock it out of the park. Can't wait to see the other character designs, SQUEEEEE!
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Myeah- I'm gonna wait until I see her in action. Hope they'll release some sort of teaser footage soon...

the more i look to images the more i see potential for something great for kids! i can't wait

Rae on the ages of the characters...

ages.jpg

ages2.jpg

@Despicablecomix: How old will she-ra be in the series?
    @gullshriek: I don't think she has a concrete age, just "young adult." I personally see her as 19-20.
    @gullshriek: None of the characters I've done were assigned to me or designed with a specific age, only age ranges at most, but the majority of the cast is young adults and adults except for a few stated and/or obvious exceptions. No more details on that for now!
    @NirvanaMoonk116: But the body proportions and anatomy in the leaked magazine art doesn't convey that at all. Fans were expecting high quality art for the She-Ra Netflix show. The fan art looks a million x better than the supposedly official art. I'm praying this show doesn't disappoint.
    @gullshriek: y'all ain't seen basically anything yet. just be patient.
    @NirvanaMonk116: I'm on standby. I haven't given up faith yet. I have patience.

https://bit.ly/2NQFznk
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I thought she was supposed to be around 13 maybe from the art. A 19-20 year old doesn't look like that. Though we're seeing the infantisization of heroes in most cartoons now. Could be worse I guess, at least she doesn't look like poor Cheetara in Thundercats Roar.

MarvelousOne Your "translation" is insulting, and ludicrous. There is a marked societal trend that is happening regarding the female presence, and how it is portrayed in entertainment. I'll spare us all a socio-political rant, but look at the Cheetara in Thundercats Roar. Look at many modern comic book art styles, and look at this new She-ra design. You cannot deny that biologically feminine features like hips, hair, facial features, and yes breasts are being minimized. However, there is a far cry from creating an idealized version of the female form, and a sexualized version. Nobody is saying they want to make it sexual or have breasts "hanging out". They're saying that a character with the word "SHE" in her name should look like a woman.

The original design was a beautiful woman who didn't have anything "hanging out". Charlize Theron is a great example of a beautiful, and feminine woman who is also a very strong, and "badass" presence. She would have been a great live action She-Ra. Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is similar. A great balance of authentically female attributes, with strength, power, and courage. It can be done. Why is it being chosen to not be on an increasing level?
    Last edited by invaziondrummer; July 16, 2018 at 06:38am.
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

I love the new design. It's very current and a visual representation of what we would expect of a heroine in 2018 like the 1985 design would've been.

I don't get the hate already. Remember we are seeing an image of a cartoon! It's like hating trainers because you don't like the shoelaces. Just wait for some footage and if you don't like it fair enough. There's a lot more to come

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

- - - Updated - - -

There are many bad things in Last Jedi, it's non existent SJW agenda (that exists only in the minds of conspiracy theorists), isn't one of them.

Scans of the EW article have been up for awhile and posted elsewhere. Just a reminder that the 'online version' is coming later this morning or early afternoon. Here are some excerpts:

"We've really started from the same point where the original show [did] because Adora has such a great backstory," Stevenson says. "She's separated from her family as a baby, she's sent to another planet, she's adopted by the villain overlord and raised by him in this evil army. She's been raised to believe that the villains are doing the right thing and that the Princesses are the evil ones. And so we follow her as she has this crisis of faith; she's been very sheltered her whole life, and as she starts to experience the world, she realizes that there's more to this than she knew, that maybe there's a reason they were called the Evil Horde," Stevenson says with a laugh. "That maybe they were evil."

"As She-Ra, this is all new to her, and it's a little clumsy at first. It's like an uncomfortable suit. She's like, 'Okay, here I am. I'm very glamorous, I'm very strong, people are looking up to me--because I'm very tall.'"
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 16, 2018 at 08:52am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaCrux View Post
    The fan art looks better than the She-Ra show's alleged art. We need to return to the high quality art and character designs of 2010, 2011, like the excellent art from ThunderCats, Young Justice and the Amethyst Princess of Gemworld.

We don't have to shut up and kiss up to everything and praise it just because it's "new" and "modern." Something can be new, modern and contemporary while still maintaining high quality standards. Don't give me the crappy excuse that she is a tomboy. Korra was a tomboy but she still looked like a female and had great bodily anatomy and proportions.
    I agree on the fan art. at least the one i saw about two pages back looked much better.

Don't suck up to the show just because it's She-Ra. If it sucks, say so. in a hopefully NICE way, of course . someone did put all their effort and heart into that drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I agree on the fan art. at least the one i saw about two pages back looked much better.

Don't suck up to the show just because it's She-Ra. If it sucks, say so. in a hopefully NICE way, of course . someone did put all their effort and heart into that drawing.
    No offense but that really seems like you're strawmanning anyone who praises the design, with that comment.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I agree 100%.

I completely understand fans who have a nostalgic connection to what they grew up with and they prefer that look and feel. But we also have to recognize there's a lot of people out there who talk and have talked for decades about how "bad" the Filmation art is. But it's also good art, with its own stylistic take. Not every style is going to gel with every person. And that's exactly what is happening here with this new She-Ra cartoon.

But, maybe the fans with an initial negative reaction to the look of this new cartoon will eventually give it a shot. It might possibly grow on them over time.
    The only reason people think the filmation art is 'bad', is because of the fact that it was low frame rate in places, AND was over used in every single show due to the low budget.

I get that artists have a different take on things. and yes, you can have art done WELL in a style you HATE. but some things are just bad.

just for comparison,
    THIS I like.

THIS looks like something a high schooler drew on a touch screen. not something i'd expect to see on a big budget tv show.

tell me again the top one doesn't remind you of a Thundercats roar style ;o)
    or Teen Titans Go....or Adventure Time or..

Compared that with something drawn well...
    The difference in QUALITY/STYLE, whatever you want to call it, is NOTICEABLE.
    And I don't even really mind the teen titans go style all that much. I think it's drawn well. I just don't think it translates well into other series that tries to copy what it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    No offense but that really seems like you're strawmanning anyone who praises the design, with that comment.
    Not everyone. but alot of people DO praise crap just because it's the latest greatest thing. and of course, that is MY OPINION that it's crap. someone else may love it. they have every right to, too.

(edited so it doesn't seem like i'm trying to be rude )
    Last edited by Shredder; July 16, 2018 at 12:17pm.

To be honest color palat aside it looks a lot more like Voltron Legendary Defender's art style than it does Teen Titans Go or Thundercats Roar.

Heroic Warrior
    just want to re iterate, not trying to dismiss anyone's opinion. i know i tend to address things in a direct manner.
    not trying to come off jerky

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    To be honest color palat aside it looks a lot more like Voltron Legendary Defender's art style than it does Teen Titans Go or Thundercats Roar.
    never saw the show, but even this looks more like the young justice style than that she ra image to me.

I really like her arms. If anything, I think they could be even more muscular. And I also love how she's small-chested. I really am sick of all comic-book women being super well-endowed. This She-Ra looks more how a valkyrie should look.

That said, I don't like the hair. I think it looks ridiculously long and not practical. But it is a nit-pick. Overall, I am looking forward to this show and the other character designs.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."