Page 14 of 200 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix on Nov 13th, 2018

Widget
    I colored in the frame and added a filmation background to try and get an idea of how it might look in the show. They probably will have very different colors and who knows if they'll color the lineart, but I think it looks okay.
    She-ra2018color.jpg
    But come on, it's one frame. I think we're reading too much into this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksharpe View Post
    I will say I wasnt around for the reaction to 200x, ( sorry to hear it was THAT polarizing) but Ill argue to my dying day that 200x is a example of how to do a reboot properly.
    It was very bad. People were really showing their backsides.

Quote Originally Posted by KNight( View Post
    I colored in the frame and added a filmation background to try and get an idea of how it might look in the show. They probably will have very different colors and who knows if they'll color the lineart, but I think it looks okay.
    She-ra2018color.jpg
    But come on, it's one frame. I think we're reading too much into this.
    Cool!

Do you mind trying a version with red pants? (just because I'm curious)
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Cool!

Do you mind trying a version with red pants? (just because I'm curious)
    Sure thing!
    I did it a little darker because taking the same red as the cape looked off. The red pants seem a lot more dynamic than blue.

She-ra2018red2.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    I will say I wasnt around for the reaction to 200x, ( sorry to hear it was THAT polarizing) but Ill argue to my dying day that 200x is a example of how to do a reboot properly.
    I agree it was a great reboot. And it was cool to finally see on screen how Adam received the Power Sword. Plus we got the Snake Men and a taste of the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    Art style makes or breaks my interest for everything (save Star Wars).
    Exactly!
    Instantly recognizable some of you say, really? She looks nothing like her. If I wasn't told it's She-ra, I wouldn't guess. We can argue about the extent of updates needed, but she doesn't look beautiful. Original She-ra WAS beautiful. With a mouth like that it's like a caricature.
    We had updated Jem movie, how good was it?
    Speaking of whether they owe us anything or not: they probably wouldn't mind having our money, right? In this case they could've designed her to appeal to both old and new fans.
    All my complaints aside I'm excited, very curious about the storylines, voice acting, etc.
    Last edited by Chris85; December 20, 2017 at 02:22am.

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar

Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    If I wasn't told it's She-ra, I wouldn't guess.

Interesting.

If I was told this wasn't She-Ra I would wonder what this 'not She-Ra' character is doing dressing up like She-Ra.

The look of excited wonder on my kids' faces when I told them about this told the whole story.

Nothing will replace or displace the Filmation iteration. Ever. As a Filmation die hard, I don't feel like I need this reboot. I absolutely want it and am thrilled for it but I already have the thing I love. The brand deserves a loving and exciting reboot, though. It might even need it. And my kids need it to become uniquely theirs. So I can't wait and I can't wait for my kids to add their She-Ra to mine.
    Last edited by KingRandorFacepalm; December 20, 2017 at 04:14am.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

I rarely ever post. Thank goodness I was not around on the forums when the 200x series came out. I loved that show from the beginning. I wish it couldíve continued. Iím tend to love more ďhumanĒ looking cartoons than a lot of anime styles. Iíve noticed a trend where a lot of people are becoming bitter and hardened towards the creative talents of those who put their hearts and souls into collections, video games, televion series, movies, etc. I donít know if itís a trait of an adult in todayís world or what, but Iím so blessed to never have been cursed with that. I still watch movies and tv shows with an open mind and heart. I donít have any expectations and let them take me on adventures. Life is so unbelievably short, and people get caught up over the craziest things. Please be kind and respectful!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Sure thing!
    I did it a little darker because taking the same red as the cape looked off. The red pants seem a lot more dynamic than blue.

She-ra2018red2.jpg
    I posted this pic over at Masters Infinity facebook and gave you credit. Saw now that one fan re-worked it with additional touches.

Colors by Knight(
    Additional color and s/x touches by Joao Diogo.

I gotta say I love this sort of fan creativity.

shera-colors-reworked-by_joao-diogo.jpg
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Sure thing!

She-ra2018red2.jpg
    I like what you did here. Looking at the picture as a small thumbnail it looks exactly like She-Ra's shape. Very cool! I'm excited to see what they come up with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I rather enjoyed reading Busta Toons' opinion about what was revealed today regarding some of the negative reactions one simple outline drawing is generating (but then, I also loved the new Star Wars for everything it was, so who am I? ):
    (from instagram)

"Firstly, if you think this illustration is simplistic and lazy, then your knowledge of animation is poor - LOTS of complicated lines do not equal great animation - This piece has a flow (line of movement) to it that suggests the animation director knows precisely what they're doing

Secondly, if you believe that this is She-Ra's expression at all times, then you've never heard of an in-between - And if you've never heard of an in-between then you can't pass judgment on animation

Thirdly, speaking of judgment...you're looking at ONE piece of line art...and yet some of you already "know" what the series will thematically be like? - Nice work, Nostradamus

Fourthly, I've READ both the series bible and the script to the first episode - If this show pans out across the season(s) they have planned, then this could eclipse many previous He-Man and She-Ra efforts - Yes, even those first four minicomics where He-Man uses his fists to make a house

Fifthly, if you're unwilling to accept change some THIRTY years later, please try - Just because something isn't exactly how you experienced it in your childhood doesn't immediately make it bad - EVERYTHING should be given a chance

Sixthly, YES you're allowed to have an opinion - But don't get all angry and hateful from one single drawing - That Filmation show that we LOVE so much...that show taught us to NEVER judge a book by it's cover...or a forthcoming cartoon by one single drawing

Seventhly, don't be an entitled fan - Mattel, Dreamworks, Netflix, they don't owe YOU anything - Remember that

Eighthly, we're getting a NEW She-Ra cartoon in 2018 - Regardless of what happens next, this shows that the character did not fall into obscurity...we should ALL feel JOY

FINALLY, let's be the fanbase that is accepting of change and not spouting "WORST CARTOON EVER" without having seen one single second of footage

This could be something rather beautiful! X "
    This was very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I posted this pic over at Masters Infinity facebook and gave you credit. Saw now that one fan re-worked it with additional touches.

Colors by Knight(

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...6&d=1513768775

Great job all around!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

if she had skin color at bottom of the shorts that might be closer to what was rumored at one point along with gold high top sneekers. Nice job on the art though.
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 20, 2017 at 07:52am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I don't like it!
    If you're from the Western Civilization please do a western animated series and not somethin' that it's mockin' a japanese anime....
    I don't care if it doesn't have the Filmation style, it just must have the western style, for example this is a better She-Ra:

Sure thing!

She-ra2018red2.jpg
    Excellent work!
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; December 20, 2017 at 08:18am.
    I met 3 heroes: their names are Jedi_Kunle, Mikethedrummer and Miracle Max.
    And I also met an angel called David. Good journey, sit tibi terra levis.

Sure thing!

She-ra2018red2.jpg

Colors by Knight(

Awesome! I do like the red a lot better, and that extra punch up Joao did looks really cool!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    And yet, it caused gigantic uproars among "vintage purists" initially, and failed within a relatively short timeframe ultimately. Most I talked to who were kids back then, don't even remember the show and toys. That's pretty sad, considering that it was supposed to be a really big thing.

Now I'd rather wanna see a She-Ra show that's rejected by us "old" fans but is a major hit with today's girls, than a show we love but that doesn't "click" with kids and thus fades away quickly like 200X did.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Instantly recognizable some of you say, really? She looks nothing like her. If I wasn't told it's She-ra, I wouldn't guess.
    I showed my two-year old daughter this picture and she immediately said "She-Ra!" (Or "She-Wa" as the case may be)

Instant recognition.

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

I can not wait for this cartoon. This is so exciting! I can't believe people are complaining so much (or can I lol?) about this. We've had all sorts of versions of He-Man and She-Ra. This is just a new one!

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and the Griffen

Colors by Knight(

I'd be very happy with this.

Does anyone know the format or budget on this?
    That would tell me a whole lot more than anything else written so far.

Concerning the snapshot of new she-ra,
    I'm a huge fan of Full Metal Alchemist, and I think fusion can be a very impressive design given the right conditions.

I'm not sold on the She-Ra here, even in freeze pose.

The key design of the original She-Ra was (imo)
    -Strong
    -Nice
    -Mature
    -Protective
    -Elegant
    -Feminine
    -Gentle

What I see in the snapshot is
    - Young
    - Aggressive
    - Tomboy
    - Reckless
    - Strong willed
    - Energetic

And the reason me saying this is
    how the scale of the head compared to the body,
    short thick eyebrows,
    the use of a lot of straight lines and lots of triangles (as opposed to the original hourglass/feather shapes),
    size of the sword compared to the body,
    key pose leaning forward into action while the swords lags behind,
    pronounced ears (I don't think neither She-Ra or Adora ever show her ears)
    and the jawline.

Again, I think the style can be great so I wouldn't write it off, and it's just one frame of many,
    but we can only see what we see, and I just don't see She-Ra in here, but a derivative alternate, yeah sure.

Also the comment about Mattel / Dreamworks etc not owing anything to fans is a very misleading effort of protection.
    Ever tried get funding for a "no-name" or new IP for a TV show? I have been part of that process...
    Unless you have some lucky friends of friends, ability to self fund it or have a master plan in merchandising everything about it,
    then yeah, good luck with that. And female lead, weapons, guns and mild violence, then you just removed half the networks and restricted the age group severely.
    She-Ra's value exists by name only, which only has a value because of fans of the original show or as part of He-Man.

Widget

Colors by Knight(

Hell, that's awesome! Thanks Joao!

Quote Originally Posted by thew40 View Post
    I can not wait for this cartoon. This is so exciting! I can't believe people are complaining so much (or can I lol?) about this. We've had all sorts of versions of He-Man and She-Ra. This is just a new one!

~W~
    I agree! I think the show's going to be awesome. I've checked out some of Showrunner Noelle Stevenson's work, and I think she's a good match for She-ra. Don't let the simplistic art style fool you, her book/webcomic Nimona is outstanding: Great story and interesting world, with almost every character in a moral gray area. It's a short read, but deserves the award it has.

But even if the show doesn't appeal to me, I just want it to bring more fans, more fanfiction and fan art. If this show gets half the following Voltron does now, I'd be ecstatic. If we want this franchise (and fandom) to survive, we need more than a bunch of guys in their forties and a handful of millennials.

This is what we can probably expect.

https://www.pride.com/tv/2017/12/19/...meback-netflix

...Stevensonís attachment to this project gives some keys to the tone. Her work, both radical and easy to digest, focuses most often on bonds, sexuality, and above all, strong female characters. The work doesnít get too heavy-handed, existing in that magical spot where adorable characters sneak deep themes right under your nose. She is a perfect match, and promises this adaption will be going some interesting places.

This is a cool concept art but there are a couple things that seem off putting to me.

1. The sword is too big. The Sword of Protection is not an oversize Anime sword. The Sword of Protection is a short one-handed sword.

2. She-Ra is holding and swinging the Sword of Protection like it is a Katana which seems out of place for a Western themed high fantasy story. Even if the Sword of Protection was oversized She-Ra would not need to use both hands to swing it.

3. In this picture She-Ra is expending too much effort and it actually makes her look weak. The real She-Ra could smash a Horde tank to bits with just the flick of her wrist. She-Ra always defeated her enemies with an elegant gracefulness NOT with gritted teeth. In Filmation PoP it was always: Hey look Hordak has a another super weapon, Hordak menaces Etheria with it for most of the episode, then She-Ra shows up and it broken in two seconds. Poor Hordak She-Ra broke all his toys again. The end. That is what actually made the show funny.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    This is a cool concept art but there are a couple things that seem off putting to me.

1. The sword is too big. The Sword of Protection is not an oversize Anime sword. The Sword of Protection is a short one-handed sword.

2. She-Ra is holding and swinging the Sword of Protection like it is a Katana which seems out of place for a Western themed high fantasy story. Even if the Sword of Protection was oversized She-Ra would not need to use both hands to swing it.

3. In this picture She-Ra is expending too much effort and it actually makes her look weak. The real She-Ra could smash a Horde tank to bits with just the flick of her wrist. She-Ra always defeated her enemies with an elegant gracefulness NOT with gritted teeth. In Filmation PoP it was always: Hey look Hordak has a another super weapon, Hordak menaces Etheria with it for most of the episode, then She-Ra shows up and it broken in two seconds. Poor Hordak She-Ra broke all his toys again. The end. That is what actually made the show funny.
    It's also the major problem with the classic Filmation shows. There was never any real tension because He-Man and She-Ra were never seriously challenged or threatened by any of the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    It's also the major problem with the classic Filmation shows. There was never any real tension because He-Man and She-Ra were never seriously challenged or threatened by any of the villains.
    I'm in favor of them powering down both siblings by a decent amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    This is what we can probably expect.

https://www.pride.com/tv/2017/12/19/...meback-netflix
    Hopefully it means that there is a possibility that Adora may be gay, which would be a super idea!

Last edited by Tallstar; December 20, 2017 at 08:25pm.