Page 5 of 200 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix on Nov 13th, 2018

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_highful View Post
    I actually agree with you, Val. I know this is a little different since MOTU and POP have existed before, but I am looking at it the way I did three other TV series and their crossovers. My examples for crossovers are Xena, Angel, and The Originals. These series were spinoff's of Hercules, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and The Vampire Diaries, respectively. Even though Xena, Angel, and the Originals (Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, and Finn) were all introduced in the other shows first, they each went on to have their own shows that proved their characters were much more than secondary and more than capable of handling their own stories. In fact, each of these series went on (or are still going on) to last at least one more season after the originals series had ended.
    Only that all these characters have never been introduced before, but they made their debut in the respective series. He-Man is a known character who has a 35 years old history already. By introducing him in another series about another established heroine, it's like bypassing and belittling his importance and the world of where he is coming from. For this same reason, MCU introduced Thor, Cap, Ironman, Hulk etc in their own movie with their individual backstory, before going to the big Avengers crossover. Because these are already established characters with a big history behind them, so they needed each one of them being introduced properly, not like a secondary character or a guest star in another character's movie. This means how to treat equally 2 well known characters from the same universe. It's not that Cap appear first in the Ironman movie, or the contrary. Besides a She-Ra series which probaly will follow the "girl power" formula like the current DC heroines's series, doesn't need He-Man to appear at all. Just focus on the characters from Etheria, who will need the screentime far more than a guest character from another planet, who can and should be treated and developed in its own series .
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 28, 2017 at 07:03pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd be happy for Eternia, He-Man and friends and foes to be hinted at rather than expressly included in any new She-Ra series.

They could follow the basic components of the original story: a "mysterious figure" (i.e. the Sorceress) sends the Sword of Protection to Etheria because "it is time / destiny / whatever" where it falls into the hands of a more competent Madame Razz, Queen Angela or maybe Castaspella. From there, it ends up in the hands of Force Captain Adora and its magic prompts Adora to question her upbringing, which eventually prompts her to earn her redemption by leaving the Evil Horde and joining the Great Rebellion. In doing so, she unlocks the magical abilities of the sword and can transform into She-Ra.

The "mystery" of the sword could last for however long that want, before Eternia is introduced. Then Adora can learn of her family, how she came to be raised by Hordak and the connections between Hordak and Skeletor.

I'm looking forward to whatever this ends up being and hoping for the best!!

As for a potential cameo by He-Man, I'd love to see it. In no way would it have to lessen the character of He-Man or make him secondary. Most die-hard MOTU fans would love the appearance and any fans who aren't totally familiar with He-Man would get a cool introduction to him and hopefully gain interest in learning about and seeing more of him and his "world". It's a win-win.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    In no way would it have to lessen the character of He-Man or make him secondary. Most die-hard MOTU fans would love the appearance and any fans who aren't totally familiar with He-Man would get a cool introduction to him and hopefully gain interest in learning about and seeing more of him and his "world". It's a win-win.
    Actually it will, since He-Man will be reintroduced in a series that deal with events that came much later in the general MOTU chronology. It will be like He-Man is not "worthy" or "deserves" to appear first in his own story, but as someone being used as a cameo at expense of him and his role, with the purpose to fortify the ratings of another series about another main character. But in these times, i don't expect that He-Man is goining to be treated with respect anyway, by any producer or creator. Probably he will be seen as expandable or too lame or inferior to deal with him, as his own entity.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 29, 2017 at 09:56am.

Mattel should try to get the Mike Young series onto Netflix around the same time that She-Ra launches (assuming that She-Ra will be a Netflix series.) That would probably seem to be "new" to a lot of folks.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I have no problem in Dreamworks using He-Man just how they see fit here if it leads to a better She-Ra story. She-Ra has been used to enrich his story...using He-Man in the flip reverse does not make him less. If they can use him to help create a rich and intresting story for this new cartoon then good..... A brand success is a brand success regardless of how the chess players are moved around the board to achieve that. I personally would start prepairing yourself to see him mentioned or alluded to in some capacity so the link is still there but then She-Ra will pretty much focus on her own story.
    Last edited by Angel-T; June 29, 2017 at 11:41am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I have no problem in Dreamworks using He-Man just how they see fit here if it leads to a better She-Ra story. She-Ra has been used to enrich his story...using He-Man in the flip reverse does not make him less. If they can use him to help create a rich and intresting story for this new cartoon then good..... A brand success is a brand success regardless of how the chess players are moved around the board to achieve that. I personally would start prepairing yourself to see him mentioned or alluded to in some capacity so the link is still there but then She-Ra will pretty much focus on her own story.
    This is how I feel....if it was ok for She-Ra to come later the first time around, and not make her any "less", then the same is true for He-Man.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    but see, before She-Ra was introduced in her own show by He-Man, he had his own show of 130 episodes thus building up his "gravitas", his "iconicness". So when he did show up "to pass the torch" to his sister, someone we knew nothing about in the MotU series, it meant something - there was weight behind it. Now this new show more than likely is aimed at...today's youth/girls correct? If it is, sorry to burst anyone's bubble but todays kids don't have that connection, that "bond" with anything He-Man/She-Ra/etc. We "oldies" might get that nod/wink to the original, but will todays viewers get it? Will they even care? And, here my "fear", will including him even in the first episodes end up overshadowing She-Ra, not only for the new viewers but us older peeps as well? Because it will effect me: I was never a big fan of She-Ra, not sorry to say, so in order to hook ME, it's going to have to do something different from the original. Having He-Man might bias me from the rest of the show if it doesn't grab me on the get go. But again, the show is aimed at the young girl market.

I have a hard time getting the young ones in the family into he-man as is. anything they seem to like have young kids as the protagonists: someone they can relate to I guess?
    I was ecstatic when they took to Futurama...He-Man/She-Ra wasn't as much of a success.
    Last edited by tnktrk; June 29, 2017 at 02:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Actually it will, since He-Man will be reintroduced in a series that deal with events that came much later in the general MOTU chronology. It will be like He-Man is not "worthy" or "deserves" to appear first in his own story, but as someone being used as a cameo at expense of him and his role, with the purpose to fortify the ratings of another series about another main character.
    Sorry, I just don't agree with your opinion. I think a couple He-Man/MOTU character cameos could be really cool, if done right.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry, I just don't agree with your opinion. I think a couple He-Man/MOTU character cameos could be really cool, if done right.
    The proper order should be to make a Masters of the Universe animated series, introduce the characters, develop their story so the audience get to know who these characters are first, and then proceed to have cameos in another series. Otherwise random cameos in a series that doesn't deal with them it would be a waste. Especially since this new series is targeting a complete different audience than us, the old time fans, an audience that probably doesn't have much exposure to the MOTU characters, so they could care less about them, in this case He-Man's presence could easily be avoided, without change much for the series, or for its audience. Why the young girls should care about a random presence of a lointcloth dressed warrior like He-Man or his relation to She-Ra? Probably wouldn't mean much for them. And as tnktrk said, it's not that if you add a He-Man cameo, will add any more popularity in both ways, since today's kids are more familiar to have young kids as the protagonists, instead of adult warriors like most of the Masters of the Universe characters are. A strictly She-Ra series though can appeal to young girls much better, without unnecessary complications and cameos from He-Man and the MOTU characters.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 29, 2017 at 02:58pm.

What if they inserted a statue of He-Man, like Filmation did with Blackstar in the classic series?

The proper order should be to make a Masters of the Universe animated series, introduce the characters, develop their story so the audience get to know who these characters are first, and then proceed to have cameos in another series.
    Sure, that's one way to do it. But it can also be done by introducing a few MOTU characters in a She-Ra series. Both ways can be done well, if handled properly.

Otherwise random cameos in a series that doesn't deal with them it would be a waste. Especially since this new series is targeting a complete different audience than us, the old time fans, an audience that probably doesn't have much exposure to the MOTU characters, so they could care less about them
    You know how to fix that bolded part?

One way is to introduce that audience to those characters that they don't have much exposure to!

in this case He-Man's presence could easily be avoided, without change much for the series, or for its audience. Why the young girls should care about a random presence of a lointcloth dressed warrior like He-Man or his relation to She-Ra? Probably wouldn't mean much for them.
    I'm sure lots of the audience would care. When I was a kid, my first exposure to She-Ra was the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. Before that, I had no idea POP existed. When I saw her and realized she was He-Man's sister, I instantly wanted to know more about her and her allies. To me, they were all just as cool as He-Man and his friends.

it's not that if you add a He-Man cameo, will add any more popularity in both ways, since today's kids are more familiar to have young kids as the protagonists, instead of adult warriors like most of the Masters of the Universe characters are. A strictly She-Ra series though can appeal to young girls much better, without unnecessary complications and cameos from He-Man and the MOTU characters.
    If this She-Ra project is a success, I see "cameos" as a great way to get it's fans exposed/interested in MOTU. I simply don't believe that having MOTU cameos would negatively impact the show in any way, nor would it cheapen the MOTU characters in any way.

Heroic Warrior
    Sure, that's one way to do it. But it can also be done by introducing a few MOTU characters in a She-Ra series. Both ways can be done well, if handled properly.
    If this series is aimed to young girls definitely it's not the best way to introduce the MOTU characters, which have the looks of techno-barbarians. The looks would need to be changed for being adapted in the specific audience with ambiguous results. She-Ra has the cast that can appear more popular to them. MOTU on the contrary hasn't. They would ended to be wasted.

You know how to fix that bolded part?

One way is to introduce that audience to those characters that they don't have much exposure to!
    Yes but this depends from what kind of audience the series is heading towards to. If it's young girls and about girl power, the MOTU characters would probably appear rather uninteresting to them. So the exposure to the MOTU characters would be insignificant and without any impact to them.

I'm sure lots of the audience would care. When I was a kid, my first exposure to She-Ra was the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. Before that, I had no idea POP existed. When I saw her and realized she was He-Man's sister, I instantly wanted to know more about her and her allies. To me, they were all just as cool as He-Man and his friends
    The 80's cartoons is a different case. Both of them aimed towards a mixed audience, and with an already established continuity between them, while the MOTU toys have been released before the animated series, as an action figure line, so the children especially the young boys of which was the targeting audience, have been already familiar with the MOTU characters. If the new She-Ra series has the young girls in mind, it's doubtful that the introduction of the MOTU characters will have any "cool" effect to them, especially the presence of characters in furry shorts out of nowhere.

If this She-Ra project is a success, I see "cameos" as a great way to get it's fans exposed/interested in MOTU. I simply don't believe that having MOTU cameos would negatively impact the show in any way, nor would it cheapen the MOTU characters in any way.
    Actually it could have an important negative impact. Making random "cameos" of MOTU characters just for having them there, without these characters have been introduced properly or explained why they look like that, their backstory etc, it could have as result to be viewed as some kind of ridiculous weirdos from the current audience, with a negative impact to the MOTU franchise that may influence any future attempt to resurrect MOTU in other media, especially the live action movie. So i hope that this would be considered and not be be dealt irresponsibly.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 29, 2017 at 08:07pm.

Now I'm even more for it, having read some of the reasoning to support the idea. I say bring on the He-Man appearance in She-Ra!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Now I'm even more for it, having read some of the reasoning to support the idea. I say bring on the He-Man appearance in She-Ra!
    Val, i comprehend your enthusiasm, but probably will not do any good to him. He-Man needs more to be protected sometimes, instead of being used arbitrarily. Because when it happened in the past, it was turned to a disaster. He-Man can't work in all circumstances. Hopefully Mattel learned from the mistakes of the past, and they will be more careful and cautious when it comes to how and when to use He-Man and MOTU. That's all i' m saying, and may be is better to stop here without derailing further.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 29, 2017 at 08:46pm.

Val, i comprehend your enthusiasm, but probably will not do any good to him. He-Man needs more to be protected sometimes, instead of being used arbitrarily. Because when it happened in the past, it was turned to a disaster. He-Man can't work in all circumstances. Hopefully Mattel learned from the mistakes of the past, and they will be more careful and cautious when it comes to how and when to use He-Man and MOTU. That's all i' m saying, and may be is better to stop here without derailing further.
    IMO, I wouldn't worry about it. The past has passed. Who knows what the future could hold?
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior
    Could we all just agree that some of us, including me, think it would be cool to see He-Man make an appearance, and some of think it would be a horrible idea, and drop the debate? The fact is, it doesn't matter what any of us think. If Dreamworks does end up making this series, they are going to do what they want to with it, no matter what any of us say on this thread. When I see the thread has been updated, I would rather the updates have news about how the project is coming along, instead of reading pages of posts (my own included) debating a subject we can't really control anyway. How about we agree to disagree on that topic, and move on.

I too get a bit excited to see thread updates but there's no new cartoon news. That said, I also don't see the harm in friendly discussion and debate. granamyr80 means well, and he's bringing up points that I'm sure other fans agree with.

Heroic Warrior
    But that's what these forums are for: to discuss, debate, speculate, agree, and yes...disagree on one of our childhood shows. You know...freedom and all.

And your right, DreamWorks is going to do what the see as best for the show; but so did Fox with Fantastic 4 and Hasbro with Jem and the Holograms.
    And us as viewers, young and/or old, will decide whether that version succeeds or not.

Cause you know...freedom.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    But that's what these forums are for: to discuss, debate, speculate, agree, and yes...disagree on one of our childhood shows. You know...freedom and all.

And your right, DreamWorks is going to do what the see as best for the show; but so did Fox with Fantastic 4 and Hasbro with Jem and the Holograms.
    And us as viewers, young and/or old, will decide whether that version succeeds or not.

Cause you know...freedom.
    I am all for the freedom of speech and a good, healthy debate. Heck, I have two degrees in Communication with an emphasis in teaching Speech/Drama/Debate. I have participated in, watched, and judged more debates than I can count. That being said, I can't be the only person who gets tired of hearing the same points made over, and over, and over again (or many similar points all resulting in the same conclusion). That does not in any way mean I don't think the points are valid. I find that most intelligent people (as most people on this board tend to be) have VERY valid points whether I agree with them or not. It is just that, after a while, the debate starts to feel old, but maybe that is just me. I am not just referring to this board when I say that. Every election year I watch the debates and am tired of them within an hour (yet, being a glutton for punishment, I still watch).

Now, back to the topic at hand, I would really like to see She-ra, with or without He-Man; however, if they go with that ridiculous "band" idea, I won't even be starting it. If Dreamworks wants a show about a band, and wants to bring back a show from the 80's, then bring on Jem. She-ra is, and needs to stay, the Princess of Power and/or "the most powerful woman in the universe."

The band idea does sound interesting, but only as an episode premise or maybe a few episodes long arc. Honestly, I think it would feel too much like Sonic Underground, and while that had a few cool songs to it, a lot of the rest felt far more forced than helpful to the story and just an excuse to pad the episode.

Not sure why someone feels it has to be marketed specifically for girls, however.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Not sure why someone feels it has to be marketed specifically for girls, however.
    think of all the wonderful dolls they'd make if the show is successful. Since females make up a major of the protagonists of the show (at least in the original and that's if we're assuming the new one will be a close iteration of it), and 'classically', 'stereotypically' girls buy dolls, it would be marketed specifically for girl.

Of course, anything can happen: we can have a new 'brony' movement for She-Ra were the show becomes extremely popular with the outside demographic (again, assuming the target demo is young females). It happens with magical girl anime, no reason it can't happen here.

More fans the better.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    think of all the wonderful dolls they'd make if the show is successful. Since females make up a major of the protagonists of the show (at least in the original and that's if we're assuming the new one will be a close iteration of it), and 'classically', 'stereotypically' girls buy dolls, it would be marketed specifically for girl.

Of course, anything can happen: we can have a new 'brony' movement for She-Ra were the show becomes extremely popular with the outside demographic (again, assuming the target demo is young females). It happens with magical girl anime, no reason it can't happen here.

More fans the better.
    If I recall correctly, that was the problem the line ran into last time. They marketed She-Ra like "Action Barbie" and it didn't do well compared to the He-Man figures. And given how many heroines get railroaded with "girliness" upgrades for their toys, I think it would be more detrimental to the franchise than not.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1585712/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Kari Kimmel will be doing a new theme song for DreamWorks' remake of She-Ra.

Hi, I’m Kari Kimmel and I’ll be leading an intensive writers retreat this fall. A little bit about me… I love music. I love writing, recording, singing, and producing. I’ve been able take my passion for music, and find an outlet for it through sync placements in film and TV. To date, my songs have been featured in over 650 films, TV shows, video games, trailers and commercials. Films such as World War Z, Southpaw and The Duff. TV shows such as The Office, New Girl, Pretty Little Liars, America’s Funniest Home Videos, and Grimm. Promos and trailers for The Walking Dead, Grey’s Anatomy, and Fortitude. Commercials for Google and Nissan, and video games like The Sims. I’ve also just landed my 15th theme song, for the upcoming Dreamworks remake of She-Ra. The theme I’m most known for is probably The Fosters which I wrote, sang and co-produced.
    https://www.ascap.com/news-and-event...C-7D7FBBBD375E
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 18, 2017 at 01:02pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1585712/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Kari Kimmel will be doing a new theme song for DreamWorks' remake of She-Ra.

https://www.ascap.com/news-and-event...C-7D7FBBBD375E
    That is cool!