Page 6 of 200 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix on Nov 13th, 2018

I'm sure it's still a decent way off from airing, but I wonder if we might hear anything about this series at SDCC this year.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

I was wondering that myself...do Dreamworks have a panel? If so hopefully someone will ask a few questions. They might have some concrpt art to show...fingers corssed.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The only DreamWorks panel that I've seen so far is for Voltron.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Why keep this project so secret? Is this a common thing in this business?

It's probably still in the very early development stages so not much to tell.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    It's probably still in the very early development stages so not much to tell.
    ^^^ This
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Kari Kimmel does the theme song for another DreamWorks/Netflix cartoon series called "Spirit Riding Free", which has 6 episodes in the first season, so I'm wondering if they're going to take a similar approach with She-Ra? I just really, really hope the animation for She-Ra is nothing like SRF. It's too basic, imo. Something at the level of Voltron would be nice.

Anyhow, I'm guessing She-Ra will be a 2018 release, but I do also think there's a chance it could hit Netflix towards the end of 2017. Mattel filed for the entertainment trademarks on April 11 of this year. So, DreamWorks and Mattel have probably been working on the series for at least a little over 3 months.

I haven't really watched "Spirit Riding Free" (just a few clips here and there) but that would be my guess for the audience they are going for.

Hasbro's Netflix series Stretch Armstrong debuts later this year. News first surfaced on it in January of 2016, so we may still be a ways away from She-Ra coming out. I do think MOTU and She-Ra are more well-known than Stretch, so hopefully the show will make it to full production.

Heroic Warrior
    The timing for a She-Ra reboot is really good. There's such a focus on entertainment that empowers girls and has female heroes, and there's all the super hero lines targeted towards them that are doing great. As a dad of a strong willed 6 year old daughter, I love it.

She has all the Classics POP figures and adores them, but the old cartoon she won't sit through and I think it's just a bit dated when compared to what kids her age have been exposed to. But she loves the characters, and the transformation sequence and backstory. I think a relaunch could do very, very well.

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder how much She-Ra will end up having common with Mysticons: http://www.rotoscopers.com/2017/07/2...g-august-2017/

There are a few similarities there, but probably still enough for She-Ra: Princess of Power to distinguish itself. Especially if it aims for a slightly more mature tone like the latest Voltron reboot on Netflix (or even more like Avatar, Korra, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I wonder how much She-Ra will end up having common with Mysticons: http://www.rotoscopers.com/2017/07/2...g-august-2017/

There are a few similarities there, but probably still enough for She-Ra: Princess of Power to distinguish itself. Especially if it aims for a slightly more mature tone like the latest Voltron reboot on Netflix (or even more like Avatar, Korra, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, etc).
    I think I remember somebody mentioning on Facebook that DreamWorks was going for something more along the lines of Teen Titans Go! with their new She-Ra, rather than Voltron.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I think I remember somebody mentioning on Facebook that DreamWorks was going for something more along the lines of Teen Titans Go! with their new She-Ra, rather than Voltron.
    Horrible decision.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Horrible decision.
    To you, perhaps. But you're still putting the cart before the horse.
    I personally think it could be great, given the appropriate tone and story.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Horrible decision.
    I'd watch it.

But that's just me...

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Voltron is great, imho - my 4yo and I watch it together sometimes and he loves it (giant lion bots that form an even bigger robot with a sword, I mean, easy sell!) but it's definitely a more mature, complicated show.

If they are hoping to aim the show at girls and boys ages 7-12, I can totally see why the high-energy Teen Titans Go! (Which also reminds me of the newer ninja turtles and power puff girls) model would be beneficial, though.

I'm gonna be watching it either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

I would have much prefered a more Korra style approach, there is a total gap in the market for a kick arse female lead cartoon like that right now.

Maybe after Wonder Woman's success they have changed the apporach a bit? Hence why no news at SDCC. But regardless I will try to enjoy the show for whatever it is.

Hopefully if successful Mattel wll let Super7 make some vintage/ classic pop stuff like the Star Sisters, Joya, Josh, Wizardess, Hera, some of the Sander's brothers Mattel archive characters, new classic comic mini series to throw the old POP fans a bone or two just to shut us up! LOL
    Last edited by Angel-T; September 4, 2017 at 06:04pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting. It's not my preference, but it's an understandable decision.

I can't get into Teen Titans Go, but I understand that it's slowly developing over-arching story elements and themes in addition to continuing to develop the characters.

Netflix recently premiered a Lego Elves animated series (i.e. with animated, not stop-motion-esque Lego toys). It's not bad, but it's not good either. I can see She-Ra being similar in tone to that.

Has Dreamworks done a flash animation style cartoon before like Teen Titans Go? Usually, they do CGI or something like Voltron.

Hmm, that's not my preferred animation style either but it is cool to see they are going for this!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Has Dreamworks done a flash animation style cartoon before like Teen Titans Go? Usually, they do CGI or something like Voltron.
    Yes...maybe?...depends what you consider "flash animation style" I suppose.

Turbo F.A.S.T.
    The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show
    Dawn of the Croods
    Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    Netflix recently premiered a Lego Elves animated series (i.e. with animated, not stop-motion-esque Lego toys). It's not bad, but it's not good either. I can see She-Ra being similar in tone to that.
    Yeah, I just saw a little of that. The animation looks comparable to Voltron and Legend of Korra, but it's definitely a lighter tone and designed for a younger audience. If that were the approach to She-Ra I'd personally be no more interested than I'd be in a Teen Titans Go route. My interest isn't important though, I don't expect it to be for me. I remember even girl's toy shows could have some bite back in the 80s though. Wasn't there a satanic centaur in My Little Pony? Yeah, that looks like Freddy Kreuger (or at least Tim Curry's Darkness) compared to the Lego Elves show.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 9, 2017 at 10:13am.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Wasn't there a satanic centaur in My Little Pony? Yeah, that looks like Freddy Kreuger (or at least Tim Curry's Darkness) compared to the Lego Elves show.
    There was:

Even a reference to decapitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    There was:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQ7F58pK2g

Even a reference to decapitation.
    wow, I didn't know how right I was about the Kreuger/Darkness comparison! Def a different era for cartoons.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

So...this tid-bit recently appeared on Kari Kimmel's bio on her official website, but I'm not 100% sure if this is definitely about She-Ra because she originally referred to She-Ra as her "15th theme song" on the ASCAP page. Here she is saying it's her 16th theme song. Make of it what you will.

Kari most recently landed her 16th theme song for the upcoming Dreamworks remake of a very popular 80’s show which will be premiering int he fall of 2018.
    http://karikimmel.com/about/