Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: He-ra in MOTUC

Court Magician
    I REALLY want a He-Ra, wish should have been higher on the polls

I would love to see a He-Ra figure someday.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    I would love to see He-Ra!

And I'm fine with the name He-Ra. Doesn't sound odd to me.
    Nothing wrong with that name. Like Hera, a Greek goddess.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Hopefully the name won't cross any copyright issues with Disney/Hasbro with the Star Wars Rebels character, Hera Syndulla.
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Catch my pics on Instagram: countjudas FOR 2019: Kayo, Lizorr, Sagitar, Negator, Hunga the Harpy, Kol Darr, Catra cat form, Leo Faker, Anti Eternia MAA and Orko, Melog, Filmation Ram Man and movie figures

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Except for the fact that Hera is pronounced more like here-uh and is one word, not a compound word that starts with an English masculine pronoun. It matters not that someone decided the word he would have a meaning in the MOTU universe - it still sounds utterly daft for a female character!

Just for a moment imagine if the bio writers had decided that she would be used instead and applied that prefix to a male character. It would be stupid.

Call her Hera or give her a different name entirely that won't put bewildered expressions on your friends' faces when you try to explain it.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

It's a cool concept.
    Powered Convoy -Owner and Propreitor of the Skele-Store,
    offering a small range of stock, and the worst prices on the Net!

I like it. Make it happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Except for the fact that Hera is pronounced more like here-uh and is one word, not a compound word that starts with an English masculine pronoun. It matters not that someone decided the word he would have a meaning in the MOTU universe - it still sounds utterly daft for a female character!

Just for a moment imagine if the bio writers had decided that she would be used instead and applied that prefix to a male character. It would be stupid.

Call her Hera or give her a different name entirely that won't put bewildered expressions on your friends' faces when you try to explain it.
    Except that the character in the artwork is named He-Ra, not Hera...despite objections.

If they want to introduce a male character named She-Bo, that is also fine.

Your mates are too easily bewildered.

I refuse to call her HE-Ra... instead... i will call her Hera!

Heroic Warrior
    If they want to introduce a male character named She-Bo, that is also fine.
    Really? What next? She-Man? Is that really the territory you want a toy line to explore?

Let's not forget that the whole Sword of He nonsense is a retronym. The name He-Man was chosen for the original line because he-man means a strong and muscular man - look it up in the dictionary - and it was the perfect name for the hero of a boys' toy line. When She-Ra turned up a couple of years later she was so named because she was a GIRL and the marketing was for a girls' version of the MOTU.

Please, if you still think He-Ra is an appropriate name for a female character, take a step back, apply some common sense and think objectively.

Really? What next? She-Man? Is that really the territory you want a toy line to explore?
    Sure. It could be fun, and it could open things up for younger generations. My imagination is already flying off the charts just trying to come up with a She-Man concept. Maybe it's a heroic male who has uncovered an ancient source of power that has only been passed down from female to female, but a lack of females in the current era means that the power is his. He has to come to grips with what he perceives as the "femininity" of the power he currently wields, and how much he accepts it in terms of his own identity. Maybe he's the first male born into some Amazon-esque civilization, and instead of being eliminated, his mother has him pose as female in order to preserve him. He lives amongst the Amazonian community as a female, but his "maleness" cannot be contained, so he creates the secret identity of She-Man to show his community that both feminine and masculine can co-exist. Heck, I could keep coming up with story scenarios that I know would appeal to many young people today, and give them a protagonist to identify with.

Let's not forget that the whole Sword of He nonsense is a retronym. The name He-Man was chosen for the original line because he-man means a strong and muscular man - look it up in the dictionary - and it was the perfect name for the hero of a boys' toy line. When She-Ra turned up a couple of years later she was so named because she was a GIRL and the marketing was for a girls' version of the MOTU.
    And that was the 1980s . . .

Please, if you still think He-Ra is an appropriate name for a female character, take a step back, apply some common sense and think objectively.
    Done and done. "Appropriate" has nothing to do with it - "appropriate" changes with the times. In fact, He-Ra is less problematic than She-Man. It just sounds like an alteration of Hero.

Honestly, a character like He-Ra could be a stepping stone to creating more equality in representation.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how you believe your own opinion is objective, but mine is not.

The people who created a character named 'He-Man' - possibly the laziest & most ridiculous name they could have given him - drew up a sketch of a female version of him called He-Ra. That neither surprises nor upsets me.

But, I'm just a crazy gay Aussie. The enforcement of gender rules isn't a lot of interest to me.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how you believe your own opinion is objective, but mine is not.

The people who created a character named 'He-Man' - possibly the laziest & most ridiculous name they could have given him
    He-Man - taken from the dictionary with a perfectly valid meaning - is ridiculous but He-Ra - a bio writer's obscure invention - isn't?

I accept my perspective isn't particularly modern or 'progressive', and I'm not going to convince those who disagree, so I'll respectfully withdraw from this dialogue because it's not going anywhere sensible.

Heroic Warrior
    I did take a step back and applied common sense. See the name for a female character without any of the context of this discussion or the existence of He-Man. I came to the some conclusion as Poweron: It sounds like it is derived from "hero". I'm fine with that.
    (In universe, of course, her name is probably derived from He-Ro and seen as a female version of that.)

Heroic Warrior
    I did as you instructed and I still think He-Ra is an appropriate name for a female character.

This concept design of She-Ra has been lovingly known as Hera or He-Ra for years....It works just fine....When fans hear the name He-Ra they mostly associate it to the black and white concept design of She-Ra....The name works just fine as is!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The name He-Man was chosen for the original line because he-man means a strong and muscular man - look it up in the dictionary - and it was the perfect name for the hero of a boys' toy line. When She-Ra turned up a couple of years later she was so named because she was a GIRL and the marketing was for a girls' version of the MOTU.
    But you missed a step there-- Where did the "Ra" come from in She-Ra?
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    *momentary thread derailment, choo choo!*

If "he" is Trollan for "power", then, by logical extension, would "she" be Trollan for "honor"?

Just wondering. "Honor-Ra"? Hmm.

*returns thread to the rails*
    • HARMONY IS THE KEY LOVE IS THE LAW
    • Who weeps for Trolla? I DO.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    *momentary thread derailment, choo choo!*

If "he" is Trollan for "power", then, by logical extension, would "she" be Trollan for "honor"?

Just wondering. "Honor-Ra"? Hmm.

*returns thread to the rails*
    That is an excellent deduction Wandering star

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    But you missed a step there-- Where did the "Ra" come from in She-Ra?
    I vaguely recall reading that it was inspired by the Egyptian sun god "Ra", which itself may have been inspired by the starburst or "sunburst" breastplate design. Or maybe that was retrospective reasoning because they just thought that "Ra" sounded good after initially considering He-Ra after Hera, the queen of the Greek / Olympian gods?

I think everyone is overthinking this name thing.

Let's just call her He-Ra... pronounced as Hair-a.....because if she came out in the '80s, she would have had a hair related gimmick.

Now, Super7, just make the damn figure already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    Now, Super7, just make the damn figure already!!!!
    Amen!! LoL

Nothing is official, but the fact that He-Ra has Bio information in the Character Compendium MAY imply that Your wish (and MINE!) will someday soon come true..!
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

I'm an opener, so I wouldn't care if she was called Gender-Free Person, Amazon-Man or Macho Gal....just make her!
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    I would absolutely buy a he-ra figure. We need her now

I was wondering how did this thread not get bumped after He-Ra got officially included in the MOTUC canon as part of the Serpentine King Hsss bio?

Then I went back and read the first post in the thread and saw that this was actually old news, all of the information was already included in the character book. Still, it's exciting to see this concept character get realized into a distinct character as part of the MOTUC canon and I am hoping this means Super 7 might be considering her for a figure.
    Last edited by PantherCult; March 16, 2018 at 07:21pm.