Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What figure or figures most needs a rereleases in the ultimates line?

I think the Ultimates line can satisfy a few things - 1) rerelease core characters (Man-at-Arms, Beast Man, etc), 2) rerelease rare characters that are very high in price (which often corresponds to #1 (Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver), 3) rerelease figures that were somewhat flawed in their initial release (Goddess, Roboto, Stinkor, Rio Blast). I too want Super7 to focus on new releases in Collector's Choice and Club Grayskull, but think a wave of Ultimates a year similar to the initial offering we received wouldn't take away from those lines.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by zethrofax View Post
    I don't have any experience with the new ankles. I was worried based on how they looked that they would have even more of a potential for the looseness. have you had any issues with it?
    The new ankle joint which was institued with Vikor is much better than the earlier ankle joints. But they're not always perfect. They still do turn out loose
    sometimes, but far less often than the earlier ankles. Another good thing about the new ankles is that they stay as tight as the day they arrive. If they came super tight, they will stay super tight. I've had several figures with the earlier ankles that were tight when I first received the figure, but then got loose over the years.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    My firm preference is for the Super7 to focus on new characters or variants under the Collectors Choice and Club Grayskull lines rather than Ultimates. There are far too many unique characters still requiring figures in the MOTUC style and scale.

However, if there are to be more Ultimates, then the early vintage figures should take precedence, such as Man-at-Arms and Stratos, Mer-man, Beast Man, the Goddess and Prince Adam.
    I think that the ultimates releases are a necessity for the survival of the line as a whole. While there is still interest in more obscure characters I'm not sure if the sales of those figures will ever be enough on their own to sustain and justify the continuation of the line.
    WTB loose & complete MOTUC Fisto

I think that the ultimates releases are a necessity for the survival of the line as a whole. While there is still interest in more obscure characters I'm not sure if the sales of those figures will ever be enough on their own to sustain and justify the continuation of the line.
    QFT.

Very well said. S7 can always do slightly different paint apps to switch things up a bit.

On top of that, new people are still discovering this line all the time. Who wants to start out by selling their children's eyes so they can afford a HE-MAN figure?
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Jitsu - new toy accurate head
    Good call. The squashed Classics head was a poor design.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Would be awesome if they announced more Ultimates at PowerCon but I'm not getting my hopes up. Seemed pretty low on Brian's priority list during an interview I saw.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

off my own topic but I would love if they would do a kick starter for Snake Mountain. I definitely need one since I recently picked up Grayskull.

I think the Ultimates were made for an entry point into the line for new collectors in order to get the main characters. I remember Brian saying in an interview he isn't going to make a figure in the Ultimates line just so you can save $20 off the secondary market prices.

IF there is another round of these I'd expect Fisto, Man at Arms, Beastman, Trap Jaw and Whiplash or Tri-Klops (likely Whiplash since we are getting a Tri-Klops in Club Grayskull and there are more parts they could include with an Ultimate Whiplash)

After that I doubt there will be enough demand for any others, though I have a feeling the Ultimates didn't do as well as they hoped and they won't be revisited anytime soon.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Roboto is a good candidate. You can fix the shoulders and make sure to use a translucent plastic that isn't going to crack. On top of that we've gotten quite a few additional arm attachments that can be included.

I'd also like to see improved ankle articulation going forward on any future Ultimates and the new wrist articulation from the Club Grayskull line.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I think the Ultimates were made for an entry point into the line for new collectors in order to get the main characters. I remember Brian saying in an interview he isn't going to make a figure in the Ultimates line just so you can save $20 off the secondary market prices.

IF there is another round of these I'd expect Fisto, Man at Arms, Beastman, Trap Jaw and Whiplash or Tri-Klops (likely Whiplash since we are getting a Tri-Klops in Club Grayskull and there are more parts they could include with an Ultimate Whiplash)

After that I doubt there will be enough demand for any others, though I have a feeling the Ultimates didn't do as well as they hoped and they won't be revisited anytime soon.
    I'm not sure how the ultimates couldn't have done well. aside from Teela all of them are sold out on BBTS despite the markup and now people are paying $70+ on ebay for them. I hate to say it, but if He-Man himself can't sell dependably then what chance will D-listers like Quakke have? It would almost certainly signal the end of the line for good.
    Last edited by zethrofax; August 22, 2017 at 03:38pm.

I remember Brian saying in an interview he isn't going to make a figure in the Ultimates line just so you can save $20 off the secondary market prices.
    Well, I guess that statement let's everybody know where they stand.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; August 22, 2017 at 03:40pm.
    Odd Man Out

What makes you think they didn't do as well as they hoped?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

I'm not sure how the ultimates couldn't have done well. aside from Teela all of them are sold out on BBTS despite the markup and now people are paying $70+ on ebay for them. I hate to say it, but if He-Man himself can't sell dependably then what chance will D-listers like Quakke have? It would almost certainly signal the end of the line for good.

I don't think they are worried about the line ending. They have a lot of other masters products that they are producing.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

I suspect the calculation that needs be made here is how many new collectors are being attracted to the line with Ultimates figures vs the base of established all-in collectors who, like me, are looking for new characters and variants. Some of us were happy to purchase Ultimates for the new box or even the new heads/accessories/paint deco, but after 9 years I didn't honestly need another loose vintage style He-man, Skeletor or Teela.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I suspect the calculation that needs be made here is how many new collectors are being attracted to the line with Ultimates figures vs the base of established all-in collectors who, like me, are looking for new characters and variants. Some of us were happy to purchase Ultimates for the new box or even the new heads/accessories/paint deco, but after 9 years I didn't honestly need another loose vintage style He-man, Skeletor or Teela.
    New collectors and others who missed the figures have to be the primary target with these releases. Unfortunately I didn't find my way back to collecting action figures until a few years ago and then I was primarily focused on transformers. There are plenty of people like me that simply haven't had the opportunity to buy these figures at a normal retail price. Im willing to concede that maybe there aren't enough of us but the model is absolutely non sustainable if they only focus on collectors that are already all in. The consumer base has to show evidence of growth or it will stagnate and be cancelled. Im worried without the lack of a media tie in motu will die a slow death like GI Joe has been. New fans have to be brought in somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling out on BBTS means nothing about overall production volume and sales. We have no idea exactly how many pre-orders Super7 sold and how many of those were from BBTS. I just feel the statement I mentioned, lack of news of more Ultimates on the horizon coupled with the tooling issues and change of factory going forward give me that feeling that they were a one off set. I could be wrong of course, but just the feeling I get.

Most folks have half a dozen He-Man figures but nobody has Quakke. Super7 are selling to a solid base of hardcore fans now and that's who they are catering towards. Despite what fantasy some people want to believe, there isn't this untapped corner of the fanbase in the thousands discovering the line for the first time.
    Last edited by blackiecats; August 22, 2017 at 05:02pm.

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Heroic Warrior
    Selling out on BBTS means nothing about overall production volume and sales. We have no idea exactly how many pre-orders Super7 sold and how many of those were from BBTS. I just feel the statement I mentioned, lack of news of more Ultimates on the horizon coupled with the tooling issues and change of factory going forward give me that feeling that they were a one off set. I could be wrong of course, but just the feeling I get.
    Yes I have the same feeling. Obviously the pre-order was high enough to go forward, but I think it may have been lower than Super 7 expected. With the Collector's Choice and Club Grayskull figures priced the same as the Ultimates, it might be best to sell fewer Ultimate figures, to minimize pricing customers out of the market.

It is futile to speculate on production numbers so Ill drop that part of the discussion. Let me just say I believe that they more than enough to justify continuing with new releases.

Respectfully, you could be totally correct. But as I said I don't believe the classics line can sustain itself without periodic re releases of core characters.

Well, what other e-tailors ordered them? I saw no listing for them on Entertainment Earth.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

It is futile to speculate on production numbers so Ill drop that part of the discussion. Let me just say I believe that they more than enough to justify continuing with new releases.

Respectfully, you could be totally correct. But as I said I don't believe the classics line can sustain itself without periodic re releases of core characters.
    There is a huge difference though in revisiting a character and reissuing it! The Ultimates are reissues of all existing parts already released during the Matty era of which most of the fan already own. To make production viable it has to run in the thousands and a couple hundred new fans just isn't enough.

Besides they are revisiting core characters in the Club Grayskull line with the cartoon looks and since those are different to the MOTUC look folks are more likely to buy those characters again who already own the MOTUC version. Straight up reissues not so much.

There is a huge difference though in revisiting a character and reissuing it! The Ultimates are reissues of all existing parts already released during the Matty era of which most of the fan already own. To make production viable it has to run in the thousands and a couple hundred new fans just isn't enough.

Besides they are revisiting core characters in the Club Grayskull line with the cartoon looks and since those are different to the MOTUC look folks are more likely to buy those characters again. Straight up reissues not so much.

Agree to disagree then I feel like the original classics would still be their bread and butter.

But what do I know? Im just a dude buying small plastics dudes from other dudes.

Ultimately (pun intended) I will admit to selfishly hoping they re release the whole line just so I don't have to sell my kidneys for them.

I'm fairly happy with the "reworked" range as it allows someone like myself whos current collection consists solely of a to buy list to grab a few figures at a lower cost on the second hand market so I can stick em in some dioramas.

They'll get more volume of sales by redoing the franchises major players as ultimates, especially from folks like me.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I'd like to see Fisto with the more auburn-colored hair and beard of the vintage figure.
    Besides him, I'd like a non-translucent (and non-breaking) Goddess.
    A white instead of gray Frosta.
    A Roboto without the clear plastic cracking issues.
    And I kinda want to see a re-release of Kobra Khan and She-Ra.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I'd like to see Fisto with the more auburn-colored hair and beard of the vintage figure.
    Besides him, I'd like a non-translucent (and non-breaking) Goddess.
    A white instead of gray Frosta.
    A Roboto without the clear plastic cracking issues.
    And I kinda want to see a re-release of Kobra Khan and She-Ra.
    Ooh, good call on the Goddess! My shattered figure is in a plastic baggie, sadly stuffed into a storage bin.

Also down with all the rest, except I think Frosta might be a better candidate for Club Grayskull. She'd really benefit from a new head.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2019!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar
    A non-breakable chest Roboto and an orange skinned, white eyed Man-e-Faces faithful to the vintage toy.
    Pasta la vista, baby!

NA in MOTUC, 10 more to go! Artilla, Butthead, Hoove, Kayo, Lizorr, Nocturna, Sagitar, Spinwit, Staghorn, Vizar.