Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: THE JOKER film origin story...with Scorsese producing?! Are you kidding?!!!

I saw it this weekend and loved it.

I wish there had been less of some of the better scenes in the trailer. But that's about my only complaint. By the very end of the movie he was easily the "best" (my opinion) comic Joker I've seen on the big screen.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

I took my Dad to see it the night before it opened wide, and man... I'm still thinking about this movie. I really loved it, but it certainly isn't a "fun" or "easy" watch. It's not the comics (nor should it be), but it is certainly a variation on the idea of what makes the Joker work as a character.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I've watched the movie last night and although a very good film (not excellent), it is not something easy to watch or partiularly eager to watch again.
    Still, I don't think that this is a movie connected or referenced as a comic book movie, many of the premises from comics seem to be a little bit shoehorned into the narrative. It could have been called "Clown" and still be a really good portrait of a person suffering insanity and how society treats the less fortunate.

Thomas Wayne and even Alfred representations are awful however valid for the context of the movie; but the "Zorro, The Gay Blade" reference is a little bit insulting to Batman fans

Even though and really good film with excellent photography, I think that for a moment that overused shots of Joaquin Phoenix's with bare naked upper body to expose how thin he was for the part. It was easily understood and shocking for a moment, especially when he was bending his clown shoes, but then it become too repetitive
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I think it is a good film, but I do not think it is not a good representation of the character.

Batman is the "world's greatest detective," because he uses reason to deduce criminal behavior. Joker is such a good foil for him, because he is insane—he is not a rational actor, so his behavior is literally unpredictable.

The character in this film is a fairly realistic representation of a person experiencing mental illness who eventually acts out violently, but his behavior is entirely rational within the context of his experiences in the film.

Phoenix's Joker is not a genius like Ledger's, or psychotic like Leto's; he is just piteous. And hardly someone who can provide a challenge for Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think it is a good film, but I do not think it is not a good representation of the character.

Batman is the "world's greatest detective," because he uses reason to deduce criminal behavior. Joker is such a good foil for him, because he is insane—he is not a rational actor, so his behavior is literally unpredictable.

The character in this film is a fairly realistic representation of a person experiencing mental illness who eventually acts out violently, but his behavior is entirely rational within the context of his experiences in the film.

Phoenix's Joker is not a genius like Ledger's, or psychotic like Leto's; he is just piteous. And hardly someone who can provide a challenge for Batman.
    I somewhat agree. But I also looked at this as a Joker in his infancy. He'd only recently gotten off his meds. He's just now committing violent acts and acting on his constant negative impulses. And most importantly he's only now figuring out that doing these things makes him feel good.

So I looked at it as though he hasn't come close to reaching his potential. He wanted to be a comedian and worked as a clown which (to me) implies some creativity and intelligence. We also see:

At the end where's obviously killed his therapist and escaped his room. That also implies he's at least clever.

So maybe by the time Batman arrives on the scene you have a much more developed Joker?
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg