Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: THE JOKER film origin story...with Scorsese producing?! Are you kidding?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    My wife and I went and saw this last night and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It's one of the most unusual films I've seen in recent memory and for that reason I think it's going to be very polarizing. It's definitely a character study rather than a film with a concrete, A-B plot. It works for the movie, though, and definitely captures the feel of films like Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy, Death Wish, etc. that I presume Todd Phillips was going for.

Joaquin Phoenix is incredible. He's likable, pathetic, odd, creepy, sinister, heartbreaking, but never straight up "ha-ha" funny. I think even if you hate his take on the character (which is definitely one of the more unusual options from the Joker's multiple choice background) you can appreciate the incredible amount of work he put into developing the character. While watching it there are times that I was definitely saying to myself "I don't recognize this Joker at all" but then there were other times when I absolutely could see this as being part of the Joker's past.

The Good: Joaquin Phoenix, excellent cinematography, a very intentional pacing that speeds up and slows down as needed, anytime the Joker dances, the look of the Joker once he is in full costume, the awkward elements of the film that make you uncomfortable (it's not a laugh fest but different people in the audience laughed at different times, usually alone which is interesting) the way the film depicts the blurred lines between reality and fantasy, the music.

The Bad: Thomas Wayne is essentially the antagonist of the film (though he's not the villain) and he's a jerk. It's weird seeing The Waynes portrayed in such a light as usually they're the people who bestow upon Bruce/ Batman his humanity.
    nice perspective..thanks

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Edit: Nevermind, I think I actually want to watch it so I do not want to be spoiled.
    Last edited by IceyCat; October 4, 2019 at 06:13pm.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    This is the first comics-based movie I've been excited for in a while.

No spoilers, but every You Tuber I follow absolutely loved it and said it is a master piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvcm1wMbC7M
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    Oh no! You follow those leaders of toxic masculinity! What kind of brave, empowering woman are you!? I am very anxious to see Joker, but even I am afraid its toxic masculinity will further corrupt me and the world!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Oh no! You follow those leaders of toxic masculinity! What kind of brave, empowering woman are you!? I am very anxious to see Joker, but even I am afraid its toxic masculinity will further corrupt me and the world!
    Ha, I bet most of the people I follow would be considered toxic men. I think I only follow two women You Tubers. I bet someone reading this thinks I have been brain washed by 'the man.'

Now Mattel need to capitalise on the Joker movie by releasing a Gender Neutral Non Binary Joker action figure.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    3cg70y.jpg
    Last edited by Mark M; October 5, 2019 at 07:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Yes but those are continuations of the original franchise, not the Rob Zombie movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh. They were okay movies but not good Batman movies.
    What makes Tim Burton Batman films no different than Nolan's movie? more true to the characters even to the Joker?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

So far so good for the movie.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What makes Tim Burton Batman films no different than Nolan's movie? more true to the characters even to the Joker?
    Batman and the Joker actually acted like the comic characters. Joker was dangerous, crazy, funny and unpredictable. Batman actually used his gadgets and detective skills.
    The Joker movie was on the cover of the papers today as people are not pleased a certain song was used in the movie and the singer will be getting quite a bit of money for it even though he is currently serving a jail sentence.

Batman and the Joker actually acted like the comic characters. Joker was dangerous, crazy, funny and unpredictable. Batman actually used his gadgets and detective skills.
    The Joker movie was on the cover of the papers today as people are not pleased a certain song was used in the movie and the singer will be getting quite a bit of money for it even though he is currently serving a jail sentence.
    And you think Nolan's version is the worst version of Batman?

All these audiences and critics complaining or discussing how disturbing Joker is clearly haven't seen films like Maniac (1980) or Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer.

They make the Joker look like a joke in comparison.

Who else thought they borrowed from Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns at parts for this movie?

i like the film a bit slow , but the last 30 minutes or so. got good.

i hope this actor will be joker in upcoming dc films
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

And you think Nolan's version is the worst version of Batman?
    Overall yes. The script and plots are terrible.

Overall yes. The script and plots are terrible.
    Schumacher is second worst?

Schumacher is second worst?
    Yes, at least there was a bit of humour to his films.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    i like the film a bit slow , but the last 30 minutes or so. got good.

i hope this actor will be joker in upcoming dc films
    I do not know how he could be. Arthur is easily 30 years older than Bruce in this film. That would make him a geriatric in the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I do not know how he could be. Arthur is easily 30 years older than Bruce in this film. That would make him a geriatric in the present day.
    The DC movies and TV show continuities are a mess.

Wheel chair fight!

I definitely don't see this version of the Joker connecting to any other DC film, though it is fun to speculate I guess. I just take this story as an Elseworlds tale. It's a one-off tale giving us a potential origin story of one of Batman's villains. It's still fun to think about, though:

So often the idea is that Batman inadvertently creates the Joker. In this film, though, the Joker is seemingly "born" the same night that Batman is

(the night that the Waynes are killed anyways)

I would imagine that in this universe we'd simply have Bruce grow up in the shadow of a Gotham plagued by the Joker movement. Perhaps there might be another criminal inspired by Arthur Fleck's Joker who takes up the identity. If we take this Joker as being in his 40s (Joaquin Phoenix is 44 and there's no reason not to use that age as an estimate for the Fleck) and Bruce as maybe being 10 at the oldest, then the Joker would probably be in his mid-late 50s by the time Batman begins really operating.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

i would give him 20 years older , just for not eating more
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Excellent film. I'd recommend it to anyone of age.

As a New Yorker it's nice to see a film based on the New York that I grew up in (though not all of it was filmed there) and that the supporting cast had actual New York accents, as opposed to the Mall of America that my city has become. The movie felt like the set of Taxi. I appreciated that.

I really dug the grimyness of this film.. The sadness of the character really pulled me in. I also liked the different take on Tomas Wayne..
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Who agrees that this movie has Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke influences?

Boy the news media seems really upset there were no mass shootings at any of the openings and people are not buying their 'incel' propaganda. Looking forward to watching it when it comes out on streaming as I rarely go to the movies. I hear it is excellent.

I really enjoyed this, very good film, just pre ordered the blu ray as well.