Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE JOKER film origin story...with Scorsese producing?! Are you kidding?!!!

The more I see and learn of this, the more intrigued I am.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This movie looks like it might be depressing as hell which is not really the type of movie I go out of my way to see in movie theaters. A movie on the topic of a serial killer with mom issues doesn't overly excite me. It is more of I'll watch it on Netflix if it comes on there type movie.
    Yeah, I do not think it looks like something I would be interested in at all. Definitely going to skip this one.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I'm really looking forward to it. I think just the fact that this film is being made is a strong testament to the power of the Joker character. What other super-villain could generate enough interest to warrant a film like this? Personally I cannot off the top of my head think of any major Joker story I haven't read. The Joker is highly adaptable. I think we've been arguing that nearly every actor who has played the character has done something radically different with him which just shows how versatile the character is. There are so many elements of the Joker to be explored and, by his own admission on a number of occasions, his origin is multiple choice.

This is a pretty bold choice for a movie. It isn't designed to appeal to kids and move toys nor does it seem to be tailored as a big budget crowd pleaser. It's something else, something unique. I think it's either going to be one of the great moments for the character in any medium or we'll all be scratching our heads wondering why we wanted an indepth character sturdy of the Joker. My money's on the former thus far.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    Random comment I hear : "Why bother doing Joker w/o Ledger"

Of course they're gonna do another Dracula in the future or another Bond despite Chris Lee being dead , why shouldnt they if the script/performance is good ?
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yep. Agree with all of this. The gritty Joker origin seemed like a dumb idea when I heard it... and seeing the trailer I see nothing to convince me otherwise. Trying to make a sympathetic Joker is a weird choice... since we already know this is the origin of the guy who's fine with blowing up orphanges and hospitals... so it's a steep climb to get us to feel sorry for him. I would LOVE to be in the boardroom where people are coming up with these ideas...

Let's do Joker solo... yeah, the killer clown, with no batman, no Harley, no chemicals.. nothing that resembles joker... umm... why are we doing this again??

Also big agree with Ledger. He was a fantastic villain. An excellent character in an excellent movie... but that Character was never Joker.
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Problem is I don't see the Joker, I see any generic villain character. No acid bath, just clown makeup. Promo pics show him in a red suit too. And again, no connection to Batman with his origin, so there feels like no reason for him to be obsessed with Batman when they do eventually meet. If it wasn't for some executive decisions claiming otherwise I would swear this was a DK prequel.

Ledger was a crazy, destructive villain, he was not the Joker. I feel we aren't allowed to criticize that because Ledger died, but no acid bath, no bleached skin, no super laughing gas chemicals. Just some runny makeup, dyed hair and some puffy cheeks that were supposed to be scars but didn't look at all like a smile. Nolan's entire Batman franchise was stripped down, removing a lot of elements that should be there under the claims of "realism", so we got no batmobile, Bane without chemicals, Ra's al-Ghul with no Lazarus pit and a mispronounced name, while if he'd just stripped what few Batman elements were there they could have been decent standalone films. Honestly Ledger Joker would have been a better villain without the makeup or purple suit, he'd have been scarier as a new character.

Gotham is the closest we've had since Nicholson to getting it right, but even then DC has pulled their "bat embargo" stunt with that and put limitations on their production- the first guy couldn't have the bleached skin. Second guy had to have purple hair. Now that he's fallen in the acid his skin is mangled and while the hair is now green it's a few strands. Sure Leto has the white skin and green hair but he has those nasty capped teeth, the tattoos that only seemed to annoy fans and really didn't add anything special(I don't dislike the IDEA of them but the actual tats look awful) and most of his scenes were shirtless. He also really had little time to shine as the Joker thanks to a mediocre script despite his attitude and mannerisms getting praise, with the sequel either in limbo or canned due to lack of interest.

And I don't mind saying it but Telltale had a very good, very unique setup for their version, having him bleached with green hair before he went insane, being friends with Bruce yet manipulated by Harley, with a path through all the games that decided if he became the typical Joker or a hero, only to throw away both eventualities in a mediocre final game that wasted the hero version on bad writing and the villain version on his man-crush obsession with Bruce being his friend.

The character really should not need to be this difficult to get right.
    Let's not forget Mark Hamil was great in the DCAU as Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    Random comment I hear : "Why bother doing Joker w/o Ledger"

Of course they're gonna do another Dracula in the future or another Bond despite Chris Lee being dead , why shouldnt they if the script/performance is good ?
    It's ok to recast literature and comic characters like Joker, Jud Crandall, Pennywise, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond etc. as it's not the same as already established purely original cinematic characters like Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Freddy Krueger, The Tallman from Phantasm, Rocky Balboa, Marty Mcfly, Doc Brown etc. which were created for film and impossible to recast.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I re-watched the 1989 Batman the other night and I agree with some of the earlier comments. I think I may have glossed over how brutal the Joker was because I was a kid when I first watched it. Great performance from Jack! His one liners were great too!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Last edited by HarryCanyon; August 25, 2019 at 09:03pm.

It was a bit and he was clearly having fun riling up the audience.

But it will be amusing when your YouTube idols make hour long video responses to a 2 minute joke...

I hope this tanks because MAYBE then they will see changing this up so drastically will NOT bring in fans but away...

New trailer announced. Shorts are now online via twitter
    My gosh! Terrific! Phoenix did a masterpiece of job (maybe even superior to Ledger's performance?) yeah he's so ready for the awards season!
    Finally another take on the comic book movies front and a breath of fresh air, also Birds of Prey is rumored to be R rated,
    it's awesome! Can't wait

...I dont wanna know how ****ed up is Jared Leto now, such a character like The Joker is once of a lifetime opportunity to play for a-list actor and Suicide Squad 2016 did not meet its expectations. I'd be ok with Leto getting a second chance but the DCEU it's more about Harley than anything else right now, wasted opportunity just like the Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor in BVS
    Last edited by Triklops 1; August 25, 2019 at 07:16pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    New trailer announced. Shorts are now online via twitter
    My gosh! Terrific! Phoenix did a masterpiece of job (maybe even superior to Ledger's performance?) yeah he's so ready for the awards season!
    Finally another take on the comic book movies front and a breath of fresh air, also Birds of Prey is rumored to be R rated,
    it's awesome! Can't wait

...I dont wanna know how ****ed up is Jared Leto now, such a character like The Joker is once of a lifetime opportunity to play for a-list actor and Suicide Squad 2016 did not meet its expectations. I'd be ok with Leto getting a second chance but the DCEU it's more about Harley than anything else right now, wasted opportunity just like the Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor in BVS
    Sounds interesting

I'm really looking forward to this there was a theory floating around years ago that Jared leto was actually playing a "Jason Todd" version of the joker, and, if this film is set in the 80s, with matt reeves "the batman" being set in the 90s, then then could both work as prequels to "batman v superman" and "suicide squad". Not that I really care, its just a fun theory, either way this film looks like it's going to be fantastic

the fact that this is nod to "King of Comedy " is another reason for me to check this out..

i love the gritty nyc look.. i hope it really put you back in to that nasty ol nyc scene ala Klute/Cruising
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I re-watched the 1989 Batman the other night and I agree with some of the earlier comments. I think I may have glossed over how brutal the Joker was because I was a kid when I first watched it. Great performance from Jack! His one liners were great too!
    Jack's is STILL the standard with Heath not to far behind this one doesn't FEEL or LOOK right...It's just some crazy guy in a clown suit NOT the Joker...But people are drinking the kool aid...Oscar worthy performance really?? On trailer(s) alone he should be nominated?

Comic book movie are NOT supposed to be dark and dreary and reality based but that's what get's the normal movie viewer the "grounded" version it's a super hero movie it shouldn't be "real"

I think there's room for all kinds of movies in the superhero genre, whether it's a fun popcorn flick that doesn't require a lot of thought or a grim and gritty real world psychological drama. I'm a massive fan of man of Steel and the dark Knight trilogy, those films get better with each repeat viewing, whereas the marvel movies are great first time round but once you've heard the jokes and seen the fights they haven't got much meat on the bone. This joker movie definitely seems more spiritually akin to the dark Knight than thor ragnarok, and no matter what, it can't be worse than letos joker. (I hope )

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I think there's room for all kinds of movies in the superhero genre, whether it's a fun popcorn flick that doesn't require a lot of thought or a grim and gritty real world psychological drama. I'm a massive fan of man of Steel and the dark Knight trilogy, those films get better with each repeat viewing, whereas the marvel movies are great first time round but once you've heard the jokes and seen the fights they haven't got much meat on the bone. This joker movie definitely seems more spiritually akin to the dark Knight than thor ragnarok, and no matter what, it can't be worse than letos joker. (I hope )
    Well I see your a DC fan because Man of Steel was OK but they changed him up so bad and the plot was weak (Even though Henry Cavill was great as Superman)it broke his one rule about not killing which still bothers me...

Dark knight trilogy was OK but WAY too Dark and The Dark Knight was the strongest of the three...

I love both, I don't really buy into the marvel vs dc thing. Marvel have achieved cinematic history from iron man one to endgame, I think there's only maybe 5 mcu films I dislike. And even though I love man of Steel I cant say I liked justice league at all. All I'm saying is that the tone for this joker movie seems like a sensible choice for the character.

I love both, I don't really buy into the marvel vs dc thing. Marvel have achieved cinematic history from iron man one to endgame, I think there's only maybe 5 mcu films I dislike. And even though I love man of Steel I cant say I liked justice league at all. All I'm saying is that the tone for this joker movie seems like a sensible choice for the character.
    Yea Justice League movie had SO much potential but......

Release the snyder cut!

Release the snyder cut!
    Yes I wanna see it but problem WB won't for whatever reason..

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Jack's is STILL the standard with Heath not to far behind this one doesn't FEEL or LOOK right...It's just some crazy guy in a clown suit NOT the Joker...But people are drinking the kool aid...Oscar worthy performance really?? On trailer(s) alone he should be nominated?

Comic book movie are NOT supposed to be dark and dreary and reality based but that's what get's the normal movie viewer the "grounded" version it's a super hero movie it shouldn't be "real"
    I guess you have not seen Oldboy (2003), Heavy Metal, History of Violence, Road to Perdition, Akira, Watchmen, V For Vendetta, 300, Sin City etc. those are dark comic book movies even some are violent and what makes those no different than Nolan's trilogy?

And would you compare Nolan's films to Frank Miller and Alan Moore's Batman comics?

What are your least fave MCU films?

Probably a bit off topic, but to answer Honestly, iron man 3 for a start, followed by civil war, captain marvel,, thor 2 and I'm not a huge fan of guardians of the galaxy. Favourites have got to be winter soldier, iron man 1, spiderman homecoming, and Dr strange as well as the first avengers movie.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I guess you have not seen Oldboy (2003), Heavy Metal, History of Violence, Road to Perdition, Akira, Watchmen, V For Vendetta, 300, Sin City etc. those are dark comic book movies even some are violent and what makes those no different than Nolan's trilogy?

And would you compare Nolan's films to Frank Miller and Alan Moore's Batman comics?

What are your least fave MCU films?
    No I was just using the current DC model when it came to the Joker...

Release the snyder cut!
    Seriously release that... Darkseid is supposedly there for crying out loud.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!