Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super7 Lords of Power toyline?

Super7 Lords of Power toyline?

Here's an idea - how about another Super7 toyline, based on very early prototypes, back when they were thinking of calling the He-Man line "Lords of Power"?

Last edited by Lich Leech; February 18, 2020 at 09:55pm.

Want them packaged "Lords of Power"

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Want them packaged "Lords of Power"
    Totally! It should be somewhat darker looking packaging than the classic MOTU style.

Is that Jerry Supiran on the right?

Heroic Warrior
    id love to see these in a 6inch "classics" type of figure...
    nope

If they did this, it would be cool if the packaging logo for Lords of Power were done in the early MOTU logo style, before the design was finalized:

Heroic Warrior
    Sign me up!

Also let Mark Taylor write the bios ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Sign me up!

Also let Mark Taylor write the bios ;-)
    Absolutely! It would kind of be like what the reaction figures were going for, except this is actual history instead of alternative history

Heroic Warrior
    I just adore vintage toy prototypes. They are so awesome!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    They're not really different enough.

They need to complete all the vintage figures first. Kind of sad that this line is almost 10 years old and they have yet to complete all the vintage figures. We've gotten sooooooo many figures that were never produced in the original lines. Please complete all the damn vintage figures first!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oehtam View Post
    They need to complete all the vintage figures first. Kind of sad that this line is almost 10 years old and they have yet to complete all the vintage figures. We've gotten sooooooo many figures that were never produced in the original lines. Please complete all the damn vintage figures first!!!
    Actually I'd rather they do this in 5.5" scale

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    They're not really different enough.
    Let's say they did this line in Classics. These are the new parts they'd probably need:

Beast Man:
    New face
    New armor
    New Belt
    New legs
    New forearms

Mer-Man:
    New loin cloth
    New forearms
    New boots

Skeletor:
    New head
    New armor
    New feet
    New shins
    New loin cloth

He-Man:
    Pretty much a repaint (boots), but he could also come with helmeted heads to match B-Sheet and earlier prototype
    Vikor axe or better yet a new one that better matches the prototype
    Oo-Larr left arm
    New harness (x-shape in back)

Man-At-Arms:
    New head
    New colors
    New forearm armor/hand

Of course if they did this in 5.5" scale, which would be my preference, most of this would be new parts. It might also be possible to get a Grayskull like this (Classics grayskull doesn't quite capture it), maybe even the prototype Battle Cat and Battle Ram. I'd rather have nearly exact replicas of these prototypes than have "translated" versions in Classics.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; September 16, 2017 at 04:25pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Actually I'd rather they do this in 5.5" scale

- - - Updated - - -

Let's say they did this line in Classics. These are the new parts they'd probably need:

Beast Man:
    New face
    New armor
    New Belt
    New legs
    New forearms

Mer-Man:
    New loin cloth
    New forearms
    New boots

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4342/3...96fabbac_b.jpg

Skeletor:
    New head
    New armor
    New feet
    New shins
    New loin cloth

He-Man:
    Pretty much a repaint (boots), but he could also come with helmeted heads to match B-Sheet and earlier prototype
    Vikor axe or better yet a new one that better matches the prototype
    Oo-Larr left arm

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4393/3...e1ae9e8e_b.jpg

Man-At-Arms:
    New head
    New colors
    New forearm armor/hand

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4442/3...491f1ce2_o.jpg

Of course if they did this in 5.5" scale, which would be my preference, most of this would be new parts. It might also be possible to get a Grayskull like this (Classics grayskull doesn't quite capture it), maybe even the prototype Battle Cat and Battle Ram. I'd rather have nearly exact replicas of these prototypes than have "translated" versions in Classics.
    I agree, do them 5.5" to capture the look. It would be sort of like a concept art figure. Awesome!

Heroic Warrior
    That original Beastman looks awesome. I think better than what we ended up getting, actually.

Heroic Warrior
    No please not in Classics. I thought we were talking about recreating them as close as possible to the prototypes, means 5.5. Maybe even just arm and head swivel nothing else.

They should make them out of heavy resin and market them as paperweights.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    No please not in Classics. I thought we were talking about recreating them as close as possible to the prototypes, means 5.5. Maybe even just arm and head swivel nothing else.
    That's what I'm talking about! Otherwise I would have posted in the big Super7 Classics thread.

So why was the early Mer-Man so awesome but then the toy was so lame? Who the hell decided to change it?
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    So why was the early Mer-Man so awesome but then the toy was so lame? Who the hell decided to change it?
    Mer-Man apparently didn't test well with kids, and also for cost reasons they had to make a body that worked for both Skeletor and Mer-Man. A lot of the softer details on the armor on the toy I think come down to materials and technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    Mer-Man apparently didn't test well with kids, and also for cost reasons they had to make a body that worked for both Skeletor and Mer-Man. A lot of the softer details on the armor on the toy I think come down to materials and technology.

He-Man historian
    If they did this, it would be cool if the packaging logo for Lords of Power were done in the early MOTU logo style, before the design was finalized:
    Variant logo.

The creator of the logo himself says its not an early version of what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nall
    "..the logos on the left are the original and the one on the right is someones (probably a licensor) version..."
    "It mimics the original but is not too good as far as logos go (my opinion)..."
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Variant logo.

The creator of the logo himself says its not an early version of what he did.
    Ah, okay, thank you for correcting me. In that case it wouldn't make sense to use that style

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    This list illustrates the problem. These are largely repaints in a darker shade of the same color scheme. The unique parts are mostly armor and heads, which could be accessories. Outside of a convention exclusive, it would be difficult to justify these as figures in Classics.

There are very few collectors who would recognize these, let alone buy them. They are different enough to appear off-model to casual collectors, but not different enough to justify purchasing yet another version of He-Man for others. The only way I could see this working is if the assortment was limited to characters that look distinctly different like Beast Man, Mer-Man, and Teela. Characters like He-Man, Man-At-Arms, and Skeletor look too similar to the versions that were released.

This list illustrates the problem. These are largely repaints in a darker shade of the same color scheme. The unique parts are mostly armor and heads, which could be accessories. Outside of a convention exclusive, it would be difficult to justify these as figures in Classics.
    In classics, the repaint thing might apply to He-Man/MAA, but not to the rest. But as I said, I'd rather not get these in Classics.

There are very few collectors who would recognize these, let alone buy them. They are different enough to appear off-model to casual collectors, but not different enough to justify purchasing yet another version of He-Man for others. The only way I could see this working is if the assortment was limited to characters that look distinctly different like Beast Man, Mer-Man, and Teela. Characters like He-Man, Man-At-Arms, and Skeletor look too similar to the versions that were released.
    These are very familiar though - to anyone who is a big fan of Alfredo Alcala's work - and there are quite a few of us. I would argue there's a bigger demand for this look than for some of the very obscure collector's choice characters coming out soon. Or if not that, certainly more people would be familiar with these looks than with the Powers of Grayskull characters that Super7 is releasing.

And if we're talking 5.5" scale, almost all of these are very different form the vintage figures. Man-At-Arms and Skeletor look very different here compared to the vintage toys.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; September 18, 2017 at 04:07pm.

Probably I will be alone but I am really thinking that resin material hand painted for them would be the best way, like this kind of prototypes.
    Like that it would be easy to limit them at something like 200 pcs each worldwide and the cost is largely less than for a plastic figure.
    A blister is not necessary also, a simple white box written "Lords of Power prototype" or something like that is just great, in the same spirit than the S7 test shot SDCC 2015 3.75in figures set.
    Just need the illusion to have real prototypes in hands, no more

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Probably I will be alone but I am really thinking that resin material hand painted for them would be the best way, like this kind of prototypes.
    Like that it would be easy to limit them at something like 200 pcs each worldwide and the cost is largely less than for a plastic figure.
    A blister is not necessary also, a simple white box written "Lords of Power prototype" or something like that is just great, in the same spirit than the S7 test shot SDCC 2015 3.75in figures set.
    Just need the illusion to have real prototypes in hands, no more
    I agree. The packaging can be similar to the Model Trem figures, too.