View Poll Results: Would you like an animated series based on the Son of He-Man?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I would love to see a SOH cartoon!

41 56.16%
  • No. I don't like the idea.

22 30.14%
  • I don't care either way.

9 12.33%
  • Other (Explain)

1 1.37%

Thread: Would you like an animated series based on the Son of He-Man?

Would you like an animated series based on the Son of He-Man?

I was reading Lou Scheimer's pitch based on the son of He-Man, and although I had never really given it much sway before, I found myself intrigued. I wondered how the MOTU landscape would look today had his pitch been green-lit by DIC animation. Then I thought, why can't this still happen? The idea has started to gain ground through the comic mini-series... and animated series have started on much less.

So, would you like to see an animated series based on Son of He-Man?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    Yes I would. Then again, I just want to see a new MOTU cartoon in general.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: MYP Skeletor, MYP Kobra Khan, Enchantress

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    That depends on which version you mean. The Lou Scheimer Productions He-Ro: Son of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is very different than the Son of He-Man concept in Classics. You have them both pictured here.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    That depends on which version you mean. The Lou Scheimer Productions He-Ro: Son of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is very different than the Son of He-Man concept in Classics. You have them both pictured here.
    I put both the mini-series and original pitch artwork up because I think, at this point, the show would have to be an amalgamation of the two. New Adventures has become the sequel to MotU, thus the timeline would have to follow the comics, while the characters and general plot could be adapted from the Scheimer pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenQuetzale View Post
    Yes I would. Then again, I just want to see a new MOTU cartoon in general.
    Indeed, I agree.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I put both the mini-series and original pitch artwork up because I think, at this point, the show would have to be an amalgamation of the two. New Adventures has become the sequel to MotU, thus the timeline would have to follow the comics, while the characters and general plot could be adapted from the Scheimer pitch.
    In the The Lou Scheimer Productions He-Ro: Son of He-Man series, Adam is King of Eternia and Teela is his Queen. Skeletor has been banished to the Frozen Lands, and Eternia is at peace. That could easily be after Adam returns from the future at the end of New Adventures of He-Man. With some changes, it could even take place before. The Lou Scheimer Productions He-Ro and the Classics He-Ro are completely different concepts. In the former, Dare is the son of Adora and Sea Hawk, sent to Eternia for his own protection, and raised by Adam and Teela alongside their daughter Kay-La. In the latter, none of those concepts exist, Dare is the biological son of Adam and Teela, and Kay-La is no longer his cousin. Classics also gives us Skeleteen as an antagonist instead of Skeletor as in Lou Scheimer Productions. They are different enough where I would say, "Yes," to one and, "No," to the other, so mixing them together is not really going to work.

In the The Lou Scheimer Productions He-Ro: Son of He-Man series, Adam is King of Eternia and Teela is his Queen. Skeletor has been banished to the Frozen Lands, and Eternia is at peace. That could easily be after Adam returns from the future at the end of New Adventures of He-Man. With some changes, it could even take place before. The Lou Scheimer Productions He-Ro and the Classics He-Ro are completely different concepts. In the former, Dare is the son of Adora and Sea Hawk, sent to Eternia for his own protection, and raised by Adam and Teela alongside their daughter Kay-La. In the latter, none of those concepts exist, Dare is the biological son of Adam and Teela, and Kay-La is no longer his cousin. Classics also gives us Skeleteen as an antagonist instead of Skeletor as in Lou Scheimer Productions. They are different enough where I would say, "Yes," to one and, "No," to the other, so mixing them together is not really going to work.
    Personally, I like certain aspects of both concepts and think that they could easily be married, but I see your point.

I suppose you can vote for the option 'Other (Explain)' and tell us which version you would like to see as an animated show.

Absolutely. I would love to see the future of the mythos explored. There are alot of ideas, nooks, and crannies I'd love some light shined on. New and evolving means alive, I would love the story to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Absolutely. I would love to see the future of the mythos explored. There are alot of ideas, nooks, and crannies I'd love some light shined on. New and evolving means alive, I would love the story to be alive.
    I agree.

I was never a huge crusader for the SoH direction... but now, I really want to see it come to fruition. The lineage of the House of Randor (or whatever method they use) to create new adventures for the Son of He-Man could be incredibly awesome. The passing of the torch has worked well in so many other examples, like Star Wars, DBZ, Batman Beyond, Gears of War, Mortal Kombat, X-Men, Tiny Toons, etc..

And, as you mentioned, it keeps the brand alive and relevant. Which could only mean good things for the fans of MotU...

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    I would love to see this happen to help gain more fans, and to re-ingauge fans of old.
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Meteorbs Zark Michi, Kothos, King Taurius, King Helios, Kittrina, Illumina, be plastic IMMORTALIZED

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Classics also gives us Skeleteen as an antagonist instead of Skeletor as in Lou Scheimer Productions.
    Skeleteen and the NA look for Dare/He-Ro II were pulled from THIS story bible. Classics combined elements of this pitch with the Lou Scheimer Prods. pitch to create their own version.

James and I were talking about this recently, and were thinking the 1988 SOH bible might have actually been done internally at Mattel. Since they had such a close working relationship with Filmation back then, maybe Mattel just put the Filmation logo on it, thinking Filmation would be the ones to produce it. It's possible Filmation may have THEN taken this pitch, tossed it, and created 'Masters of Space' instead. It's hard to say.

I say this because, so far, the only person at Filmation I've found who has any memory of the 1988 SOH is Robert Lamb, and even he doesn't remember much: "I knew about it and saw some of the concept art when I was at Filmation in 88. But I didn't work on the pitch nor received a copy of it. "

I'm still hoping we can get a copy of it somehow, or at least get some images from Mattel or something.

Only two images from the 88 bible have been officially released, and one of them is Skeleteen. Here he is riding his "Skelecycle."

Disclaimer: My interest in finding and archiving this pitch does not mean I am in favor of having it turned into a TV series.

Last edited by Penny Dreadful; October 1, 2017 at 09:33pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I'd be down for it for sure, anything to get the mythos back into the mainstream again. That said, I hope they don't develop the 'Skeleteen' idea. The very name is like nails down a chalk board to me. I'm cool with having Skeletors' offspring, just hope they would go in a different direction.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Unapologetic TEELA fan.
    Check out some of my resin toys! some cool stuff coming soon! http://lordchaoscreations.bigcartel.com/
    This one goes up to 11... When Cannons Fade

Heroic Warrior
    No! I prefer a new He-Man and The Masters of the Universe cartoon!

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    All major pop-culture mythos moves forward (eventually).

Bring it on!
    • HARMONY IS THE KEY LOVE IS THE LAW
    • Who weeps for Trolla? I DO.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

Quote Originally Posted by EmaHalJordan View Post
    No! I prefer a new He-Man and The Masters of the Universe cartoon!
    Isn't that what this would be???

I am not yet done with seeking new stories and adventures from the time of Adam and King Randor vs Skeletor on Eternia.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    Don't care, but would probably check it out if it happened!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE