Thread: Early Castle Grayskull concept art

Early Castle Grayskull concept art

Rebecca Taylor, artist and wife to MOTU designer Mark Taylor, has posted a look at very early Castle Grayskull concept art!
    Click here to follow her on Instagram.

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Very very interesting. I love the more oriental elements in the towers. Stylistically looks very different from the final version. It's almost like a cross between 1001 night and a pirate fortress. Very imaginative. Hey Super 7, is it time for a Castle Grayskull 2.0?

I'm not sure about the more ornate design of the top, but I do like the expanded top area and I LOVE the asymmetry of the skull, very organic.

It’s cool to see the influences on this piece as it evolved into what it became.
    The dome, the ledge, the skull itself, hints of symbols and such.

I love it!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Love this. It has the torches at the side of the entrance like the version from The Art of He-Man. The towers are ornate with a lot of different styles, but they still tilt outward like the prototype castle. So cool!!!

Interesting, would like to see it colored. That toy woulda been huge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hmmm....pretty cool. I like the way the skull is actually a little lopsided.

It's always neat to see early concept art.
    Odd Man Out

This looks absolutely great. He was such a good artist. I love the rope ladder to the ledge, the balconies, the torches on either side of the entrance. I'm not crazy about the lop-sided look of it, though, so I am glad that wasn't used. But, this is a great look for Grayskull, and more so since it is the first version.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I love it, and I hope to find the chance to draw this version in some future piece

What I find really interesting is the heroic falcon insignia on top of the scull. We know from other sources that Grayskull was not always thought of as the fortress of heroic warriors. It was imagined as the seat of power that belongs to whoever owns it (hence the double flag, or the original Grayskull box art). Some MOTU creators have said they thought it was outright evil, due to the skull.

This falcon logo, combined with the overall look and feel of the top part – nice looking, ornate, very livable castle – implies that is was the seat of heroic warriors. I am curious where exactly this sketch fits in the process, if it was done post box art, or maybe it was an alternate version...

Incredible how you can clearly see the general lines, colors, curves in the early MOTU stickers as well as her amazing Art Nouveau/Psychedelic paintings.

What an amazing artist Rebecca Taylor is!

What a beautiful creative couple!

Thank you for sharing your work with all of us.

I wish there was a completely original "by Mark Taylor" reproduction of the prototype castle, without any elements from the final toy, just the Taylor's original creation, complete with mat. I don't mind the scale or the play elements, just the original sculpture.
    Last edited by Super Amigo; October 17, 2017 at 07:20pm.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Wow, very cool!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Very interesting! There are definitely some elements I really like, particularly the asymmetry in the skull. It's very cool how things like this from the early conceptual days of MOTU continue to surface after so much time has passed!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Amigo View Post
    I wish there was a completely original "by Mark Taylor" reproduction of the prototype castle, without any elements from the final toy, just the Taylor's original creation, complete with mat. I don't mind the scale or the play elements, just the original sculpture.
    Oh yes, that's probably my #1 MOTU-related wish!

Heroic Warrior
    I like it. For some reason I automatically saw a Disney castle influence in this drawing.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I also love how this castle is still conceived as an island or stone formation that rises above a lake.

Just look how the "jaw" is a small pier!

https://www.facebook.com/MFAupdates/...65567507248510

To commemorate Mark Taylor’s birthday . I’m delighted to unveil our latest creation. The original castle Grayskull prototype. Originally drawn by mark Taylor. With his and Rebecca Salari Taylor’s blessing. Thanks to Ken Coleman and Felipe who concepted and built this and brought Marks original sketch to life...,3D model by Felipe Gomez Concept and Final Artwork by Ken Coleman . Thanks so much to the Taylor’s for their notes and blessing. Happy Birthday Mark!

Full reveal coming real soon.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

That is very cool looking.

Even after all these years , I am still amazed at the very concept of castle with a giant skull carved into it . Can you imagine the psychological deterrent if a medieval army had to lay siege to something like that .

Are there perhaps any older fans here who could tell me if this was borrowed idea or completely original ? Did your cliche villain fortress with face exist before Grayskull ?

Thats an amazing sketch btw.

Master of New Adventures!
    This is pretty well known to mystery novel buffs:

http://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=52696

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Even after all these years , I am still amazed at the very concept of castle with a giant skull carved into it . Can you imagine the psychological deterrent if a medieval army had to lay siege to something like that .

Are there perhaps any older fans here who could tell me if this was borrowed idea or completely original ? Did your cliche villain fortress with face exist before Grayskull ?

Thanks Mr Jack . I appreciate it . My late father loved murder mystery novels particularly Agatha Christie . I don't think he read that novel .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post

Pretty common in fantasy literature and art work - I would be surprised if this was not originally supposed to be the pad for the character that became Skeletor. Too cool not to use when they decided he couldn't have it - looks like the kind of place he would want, doesn't it?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I would be surprised if this was not originally supposed to be the pad for the character that became Skeletor. Too cool not to use when they decided he couldn't have it - looks like the kind of place he would want, doesn't it?
    I saw Rudy Obrero, who did the original packaging art for a lot of MOTU stuff, talk at Power-Con a couple of years ago, and he talked about how when he was designing the packaging for Castle Grayskull, the whole story and mythology of He-Man hadn't been worked out yet. So he drew Skeletor in Castle Grayskull, figuring a guy with a skull face must be the guy who lives in the skull castle. Then once the story got fleshed out more, he realized that Skeletor in Castle Grayskull was basically antithetical to the whole idea--with so many episodes and issues focused on Skeletor getting inside Castle Grayskull!

Here's a pic of Skeletor in his rightful home

castlegrayskullus.jpg