Thread: What brought you here?

Heroic Warrior

What brought you here?

Hey all!

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about how I have been here since 2003, and found the site a couple years before that, and remember those days when there would be WEEKS with nothing new, and the new stuff was like "happy anniversary! Today is the 15th anniversary of He-Man Day in California." or "You can check out this new website that has a bunch of pictures of old toys (X-Entertainment)."

And that deep red background with the newsfeed taking up almost the entire page.

Anyway! I came here way back in the day because I was doing research for a college presentation about the changes Mattel made to He-Man constantly trying to reinvent him (I know about the old He-Man, the new He-Man, and the rumored Son of He-Man. This was about two years before the new cartoon came out), so I was searching the internet and came across this site, and lurked for a while, but when the new cartoon came out, I wanted to offer up my opinion.

So what say you? How did you get here and what do you remember or miss about the old site and all the changes made?
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Given the time I signed up, I'd have to assume it was the 200x line that brought me here, but I can honestly say that I don't remember.

I've loved the MOTU since I was a little girl, but I've never been a part of the fandom. By chance, I rediscovered She-Ra, the 200X reboot, AND Gbagok's unofficial character bios all around the same time a year or so ago, and my love for the universe has been thoroughly rekindled. These forums offer a great place to be around so many people who love and appreciate the series. And so I finally took the fandom plunge! It's good to be here!
    Men must have laws, sometimes hard to follow, but harder to find once lost.
    ~The Ramayana (William Buck, trans.)

Been a fan since i was 3 in 84
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly? 08 around March I came across g.i.joe 25th. And went buckwild buying them and seen they were just cranking things out. I was just a normal guy who worked, paid my bills, loved hip hop (real hip hop) and bass fished like Kevin van dam. Then found hisstank.com but didn't join. Didn't even understand how to work the site, I never been to a forum before. So paid no mind and went to ebay to find out what was new.

Then met a ebay seller named jessdawg who made some bad ass storm shadow customs. And he told me I should join the hiss tank. I said I seen it before but didn't get it. So I went and joined and learned. There someone one day posted that a new he man line was coming and it will be at this site. So I clicked the site and saved it and waited for the line to start. Throughout the years in the motuc thread people would mention this site and very often members would talk about all the dramatics on this site. I wasn't a more than one site guy, so I never even checked it out or joined.

Then after getting banned after like 5 years of making people laugh and meeting some of the best guys in the world and my banning lead to some protest about me being banned and lots of them dudes played that rpg and like a war broke out haha and lead to a mass ban and lead to another site being created (og13.com) and the site beef started.

Joe died and motuc was strong i came here and checked it out a got an infraction after like my third post haha. Been coming here since after many infractions and bans. But I simmered down and don't post often.

But that's how I got here and into buying and collecting toys. I have one of if not the largest modern g.i. joe collection and a pretty much full collector of motuc, missing things I didn't care for like orkos variant and stuff like that. Got all the important stuff. Joe died. Motuc almost died. And this site and the motuc thread on og13 are the only things I check out.
    But recently I haven't even came here since August except to do them polls. Mostly comment in fb groups, barely though. If I do I say something funny like I do all over fb or I give credit to a custom.
    Last edited by unclassified; November 3, 2017 at 07:48pm.

Totally Dyslexic
    I had been a spectator for a long time.

I havenīt been to the internet before 2000. I know that for a fact but i think one of my first things was looking for things about Marvels Phoenix and anything about MOTU/POP.

So i discovered the old he-man.org pretty quick but iīm not very active when it comes to interaction with other people online, iīm still not using social media...
    But in 2010 i decided to create a profile and iīm online here almost daily ever since.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

For me, coming to the Org forums was the natural transition from the mailing list. Adam's forums were a given at the time. Then when he and Matt set up this new forum, a lot of us signed up right away, even when the forum was reset to vBulletin back in February 2000.

I like social media and what it provides. But at the same time, there are also people who behave horribly there. It's like the wild west and, IMO, it makes it hard so often to have a good conversation. Plus it's hard to find old info/discussions or to follow conversations. So this is my home and I love it here.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I may be remembering wrongly, but I *think* I only came across the .org when James Eatock's review site shut down. If I remember correctly, the message on his page said that the content from his site would be migrated onto here. So I started coming on this site and taking a look about.

One thing I remember from those early days was Kowl's Magic 8-Ball, where you could ask Kowl a yes or no question and get an answer! I wasted a fair bit of time having an in-depth conversation with Kowl one night after I'd been out with my uni friends.

Pretty sure there was a lot of quirky content back then ... am I right in thinking there used to be a random "did you know" fact at the top when you loaded the page? Such a long time ago, I can't remember!

*apparates suddenly from The Spaces Between, looks about skittishly*

What brings me here? Hmm. An easy question, but one with no easy answers.

If I was here before, I've long since forgotten who I was, and when. Or mayhap I always lurked; who can say?

I landed here after being pushed back, through fandom after fandom, each becoming overrun with toxic children insisting that theirs is The Only One True Way, whether it be love of a character, a ship, a canon, or even a headcanon, vilifying anyone who dares think otherwise. The last fandom I noped the heckie out of was Ghostbusters; after the brouhaha that started in 2015 and continues today, I was about to turn in my Fandom Badge for good. Then my roommate reminded me of something. She pointed out the name that I've been using since online gaming's been a thing. "There's one fandom that you've never really left."

I mulled. I lurked. I bought merch. I did homework. Oh, did I ever do homework. Much to catch up on, as I've not been overly active in this fandom for thirty years (I have my reasons). I've binge read all of the Dark Horse books, scoured local comic shops for various back issues, rewatched the classic series (44-year-old me sees things through vastly different eyes than 14-year-old me!), and dabbled in the newer series.

I've found that things have changed drastically. I've found that things remain the same. I've found that Fandom never forgets transgressions, no matter how well-meaning or innocent.

I may yet find a home. Here. But first, I need to find my courage, and my voice. Bear with me. (Where'd I put that pesky intro post...?)

tl; dr: came here due to Other Fandom Kerfuffles and a small degree of guilt over something that may or may not have been my fault Way Back When.
    • HARMONY IS THE KEY LOVE IS THE LAW
    • Who weeps for Trolla? I DO.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    What brings me here? Hmm. An easy question, but one with no easy answers.

If I was here before, I've long since forgotten who I was, and when. Or mayhap I always lurked; who can say?

I landed here after being pushed back, through fandom after fandom, each becoming overrun with toxic children insisting that theirs is The Only One True Way, whether it be love of a character, a ship, a canon, or even a headcanon, vilifying anyone who dares think otherwise. The last fandom I noped the heckie out of was Ghostbusters; after the brouhaha that started in 2015 and continues today, I was about to turn in my Fandom Badge for good. Then my roommate reminded me of something. She pointed out the name that I've been using since online gaming's been a thing. "There's one fandom that you've never really left."

I mulled. I lurked. I bought merch. I did homework. Oh, did I ever do homework. Much to catch up on, as I've not been overly active in this fandom for thirty years (I have my reasons). I've binge read all of the Dark Horse books, scoured local comic shops for various back issues, rewatched the classic series (44-year-old me sees things through vastly different eyes than 14-year-old me!), and dabbled in the newer series.

I've found that things have changed drastically. I've found that things remain the same. I've found that Fandom never forgets transgressions, no matter how well-meaning or innocent.

I may yet find a home. Here. But first, I need to find my courage, and my voice. Bear with me. (Where'd I put that pesky intro post...?)

tl; dr: came here due to Other Fandom Kerfuffles and a small degree of guilt over something that may or may not have been my fault Way Back When.
    My tired eyes will need to read through this better.

Whatever it was "way back when", I hope it wasn't bad, and that you worked things out over time.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I’m a bit of a late comer. I basically came here to learn more about the great looking toys, namely Ram Man that I had seen in the Matty display case at NYC CC in late 2012. If I was going to dive into the line I wanted to do as much research as possible.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    How did you get here?
    My parents decided to procreate...and the world was lesser for it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Just got to this forum. I've been doing He-Man Fan Art for a few years and I was looking for somewhere to post it and also interact with other Fan Artists. Seems a good place for it!

Been a fan since I was 4 in 1990!