Thread: I am Raytor the Hunter...

I am Raytor the Hunter...

...and I'm new to this community. I was born in 1973 (I'm dating myself, I know...), so I was the perfect age when Masters of the Universe debuted for the first time. The only problem was, I wasn't necessarily a fan, really. Growing up, it began with superheroes, Adventure People, Mego, then Star Wars, of course. Then when G.I. Joe came out, that's when I was a hardcore fan and collector...at least as much as a kid could be back then. I did like Transformers quite a bit, and I had several of those, but G.I. Joe was my thing, and I was nuts over it. So in those heady days of glorious cartoons and subsequent toy lines that defined the 1980s, Masters of the Universe always alluded me. At first glance, I found the toys ridiculous...their proportions were insanely over-the-top, they didn't sport the same articulation as the gold-standard G.I. Joes, and they reminded me of otherworldly wrestlers, wrestlers that had been jacked-up on steroid-and-adrenaline shakes. (lol) I just didn't appreciate them much at all. Somewhere in my subconscious, however, the impression was being made, and an imprint was emerging that I wasn't necessarily aware of. I did own a handful of them...I actually owned an original Rio Blast, and I guess that was only because he stood-out to me as a unique human character that didn't necessarily fit-in with the typical "sword-and-sorcery" MOTU mythos. I always had a thing for cyborgs, I guess, and he fit the bill pretty well, as it were, complete with hidden weapons galore that could easily take-out the occasional transplanted bad-guy figure I happened to be playing with. I also had the transforming Rokkon, probably because he was the closest thing MOTU had to a Transformer, and the humanoid Meteorb, and that's it. I did try to buy a Battle-Armor Skeletor once, but I didn't have enough money and had to leave the store without him. I didn't watch the cartoon show for but a handful of times, and I felt that it was stiff, goofy, and lacked the savagery some of the characters seemed to imply. So I guess He-Man and all that his name invokes was pretty-much a punchline to me, simply a footnote amongst all the great toy lines back in the day. Now my little brother, on the other hand, was a pretty big fan...he had several of the figures; he had He-Man and Skeleor, of course, Mer-man, Man-At-Arms, Beast-Man, Castle Grayskull, and the Battle Ram. He didn't have everything, but he loved the toys and the show for a time...and I used Castle Grayskull as a Cobra castle. (lol)

Flash-forward to 2001...at least I think it was 2001. It was whenever the commemorative series came out, and dumb-ol' nostalgia kicked-in, a sense of nostalgia for toys I didn't even own or necessarily like as a kid. But something was tugging at my interest...I had always wanted those dang "Battle-Armor" figures of He-man and Skeletor. I found them less ridiculous that the half-naked, loincloth-wearing regular versions. (lol) But I still didn't indulge. My wife later did admit she almost bought me a commemorative Battle-Armor Skeletor because of my sad, sappy story of when I tried to buy one as a kid... (lol)

Then the 2002 line dropped, along with the excellent cartoon. I dabbled a little...I just absolutely loved the new designs the Four Horsemen sculptors were doing. These great characters were seemingly finally being presented in their true forms that, to me, more acurrately reflected the concepts and ideas the original toys tried to invoke in my mind. They just looked so dynamic, detailed, and I was finally beginning to be truly intrigued by what MOTU was all about. And I guess it was around that time when I realized that these characters and their backstories were not-so-distantly related to all those "sword-and-sorcery" comics my dad would bring home and read with me and my brothers...Conan the Barbarian, Warlord, Kull the Conqueror, King Conan, Red Sonja, among others, along with the Conan movies, and others like The Beastmaster, Yor: Hunter from the Future, and so on, basically the adult versions of He-Man. In fact, I thought I had read somewhere that MOTU was originally supposed to be the movie toy line for Conan the Barbarian, but Mattel execs felt it was too violent and gory to be associated with, so it was reworked as He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. You all can correct me on that if I'm mistaken...

So finally, I was beginning to realize that MOTU had the same DNA, so to speak, as all of these great sci-fi/fantasy stories I loved...the muscular heroes and villains battling away at each other with cool-looking armor, ornate swords and shields, and perhaps some magical powers, in some cases. I finally got it. I even bought a smattering of 2002 figures and comics...I hung-on to the books, but I eventually sold the figures, having never opened them, unfortunately, as new Star Wars movies and recurring Transformers and G.I. Joe lines more-often commanded my attention and very limited budget...

So over the last fifteen years or so (I'm getting so old...*groan*) (lol), my toy collecting has had an ebb and flow to it, if you will, as probably is the case with most of you all...you get into a given line, get tired of it, sell some of it off for something new, then buy it all back, etc. Then 2008 rolled-around, and so did the Classics line. As much as I loved the 200x stuff, I liked that Mattel was going back to basics, as it were, designing new versions of old favorites that resembled the originals, yet there was improved sculpting, detailing, and a greater range of articulation. But I would learn that the line was to be a subscription-based line, something I was not familiar with nor able to support financially. A few years later, however, I did take advantage of a sale Mattycollector had on some of the core characters. I snagged He-Man himself, along with the main baddie Skeletor. I felt like that was a good place to start, a Father's Day gift from my wife and little girl...

Then the Classics characters started popping-up at Big Lots. People started going crazy, and I remember getting-in on the excitement. I was able to score several good ones myself...I found three Orkos/Prince Adams, two Snout-Spouts, Count Marzo, and Moss Man. I found Icarus, too, but I sold him some time later. But a friend online did sell me a Man-E-Faces, so I had the pretty respectable beginnings of a Classics collection, but I wasn't all-in, if you will...

Then one day, my little girl found my MOTU dvds, and she begged me to watch them. I had bought them in one of my fits of nostalgia...I also collect dvds and blu-rays, and I had found Seasons 1 and 2 of the cartoon, along with some "best of" episodes of the 2002 show, but I hadn't sat-down and really watched them with my full attention. It was wonderful...I discovered the simple charms of the old show, the quaint way the good guys were really good and the bad guys were...pretty-bad, but not completely deplorable. (lol) There was just this overwhelming sense of nostalgia for me that I wasn't prepared to experience...the show brought back memories of my little brother getting all of his MOTU toys for Christmas, of seeing all of the cool toys in the toy aisles in stores that I never fully appreciated, of playing with the toys, watching the show with my little brother, and remembering how popular it all was, even though it was all lost on me back then. It felt like something I would have and should have enjoyed as a kid, despite my toy snobbery. It was just such an odd and wonderful experience, enjoying the show through my little girl's eyes, along with my inner child that longs for the days when our heroes were truly good through and through, and were honorable, noble, dependable, merciful, and a shining role model for generations of kids to come. I finally got it, and I finally allowed myself to become a fan after so many missed and squandered opportunities to enjoy this wonderful mythos.

Now my little girl, of course, has since moved-on, as some little girls are apt to do, although somewhere hidden in her playroom, amongst the multiple Barbies, anthropomorphic animals and characters, stuffed toys, and dress-up costumes, there lies a handful of vintage loose and heavily-used and incomplete MOTU figures I had bought her, along with a modern Classics Orko and Prince Adam I had given her from my personal collection. (lol)

So once again, with the demise of the Classics line, and the emergence of Super 7's new figures, my interest in collecting MOTU has once again been piqued. Yet again I took advantage of a Mattycollector sale, where they seemed to be clearing-out what stock they have left. I simply thought He-Ro II and Darius looked like cool characters to have, never mind I didn't know a thing about them...I was always intrigued by the "Galactic Protectors" era of MOTU, and I was endlessly fascinated by the notion that He-Man and Teela would go on to have a son one day, and he would become the next protector of Eternia, battling his father's old nemesis, Skeletor, being held together by cybernetics and, perhaps, evil sorcery. These figures just once again reminded me how great this line is, and so I sought-out a few more...

I would go on to order my old favorite, Rio Blast, and a character I was only vaguely aware-of, which was Clamp-Champ. Once I got past his ridiculous name, (lol) I loved his back-story, how he had earned his silly nick-name because of his capturing skills in battle, and how he would go on to replace Man-At-Arms as King Randor's personal bodyguard after Duncan was forever lost to the Snakemen. It was just a hint of so much fascinating lore that I have yet to explore...

Now I ordered Rio Blast despite having read about all of the issues the figure supposedly had...I researched and researched it, because I thought he looked so cool and wanted it so bad, and the figure invoke all those great memories I had of having the original one. I guess I just wanted it to turn-out to be as cool a figure as it at least appeared to be, but I feared it would prove to be as bad as some collectors had implied, that I would have made a mistake and would simply have to sell it off as a disappointing loose/mint/complete specimen once I was infuriated over the reported issues. (lol) But surprisingly, I love it even in spite of said issues. I absolutely love this figure. I can't seem to put it down or quit posing it! The cool-factor completely cancels-out any of the issues collectors have denoted...I can get him to stand just fine. everything sems to stay plugged-in like it's supposed to, and the whole chest-flap issue that so many have seemed to complain about doesn't bother me in the least...it looks flush with the chest enough and simply isn't an issue to me. Is it a perfect figure? No, but the pros far outweigh any cons others have complained about. And so, in turn, this experience has excited me to the point that I want more of these great figures...I want all of the comics, the action figures, vehicles, and...when I can afford it, the various playsets, especially Castle Grayskull itself someday, and not because I need a new Cobra castle. (lol) I just can't get enough...I'm devouring everything I can get my hands-on, so to speak. I'm searching for the comics, watching the cartoon episodes, reading stuff online, and watching collectors videos and reviews constantly. Heck, I've even went back recently for my birthday and bought some of the old 200x figures. I had always wanted the original Trapjaw from the line, and he arrived in the mail the other day...he is so sick and epic, even more cool than I had anticipated. I also got Teela (she's just as awesome), and Fire Armor Skeletor, a figure I really liked when it originally came out but never got. These things are just insanely detailed and made so well. I also got Prince Adam, He-Man himself, and the basic Skeletor, but they've not come yet...

So there...sorry I've been so long-winded, I've just been so excited to join the fandom and share my thoughts and impressions of this journey I've been on. I am Raytor the Hunter, and I think I'm officially a MOTU fan. (It only took me some thirty-odd years...) (lol)
    Last edited by Raytor; November 8, 2017 at 01:11am.

On behalf of He-Man.org's admin, staff, and moderators, allow me to extend an official Hello and welcome to He-Man.org, Raytor!!

We're glad to have you join our site and we hope you have a fun time discussing Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power here.

Please be sure to read over the rules for posting and interacting on He-Man.org. And if you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a PM for more information.

If you want to buy and trade you will need to upgrade your account to have access to the Marketplace. Please click here and read the section entitled "What are the limitations for users with Gmail/AOL/Yahoo accounts?" for more information. For details on how the upgrading system works click here.

Hello, Raytor!! That was a great, interesting introduction!! It's so great to hear how the nostalgia and love of MOTU has effected you!! We have the best He-Fans and She-Ravers around and as always, we have great ongoing MOTU and POP discussions, so feel free to join in the conversation!!

Enjoy your time here and welcome!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Welcome aboard! That's really an awesome story.

Welcome to our humble club! enjoy your stay.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Thank you all for such kind words and the warm welcome! I've been collecting various toys for a little over twenty years now, I guess, and I had rarely witnessed a fandom as infectiously enthusiastic as the ones I had seen in the Powercon 2017 videos I had been watching online, along with various other individual collector videos. It all moved me and made me want to join in on the fun...and that's one of the initial impressions I've had in this particular community, that you all are just simply having fun, that Masters of the Universe is a fun property that no one is taking too seriously, as is the case with many others. I'm sure there exists the detractors, naysayers, and disenchanted critics, but I've yet to see very many of those so far ...just fans having fun, and I'd like to be a part of it. There just doesn't seem to be any criticisms about continuity, interpretations debated across forms of media, arguments about what's canon and what's not, and all the negative things that seem to turn me off from other properties that I've seen so many times before over the years. Thanks again for the welcome, and I look forward to indulging alot on these boards.

Welcome to the forums! That was a fantastic back story and thank you for sharing!
    I think a lot of people have that ebb and flow with MOTU, and come and leave and come back as new things come about then fade away. But it's super awesome that you are sharing it with your daughter and get to see it with a new vantage point through her eyes. That's awesome
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page