Thread: Snake Men staffs

Heroic Warrior

Snake Men staffs

So as shown in the MYP cartoon King Hsss used his staff to perform magic feats. Whatís the opinion on the Snake Men staffs the other Snake Men carry are they all magical or only a certain few of them?

Until I see someone other than King Hiss do something magical with one of their Staffs, I'm afraid I will have to defer an answer on this :^).

The Snake Men we've seen wielding staffs generally have something else going on in their day-to-day war-mongering, likely more brutal and effective than casting spells (venom-coated prehensile tongue, gorgon power, etc). I'd like to think that the staffs indicate some sort of rank in Hiss' vast army, but that doesn't really seem to scan either, considering Terroar has a staff, and Gr'Asp does not.

My opinion is: I have no idea! [^D

I thought the staff went with Gr'Asp, not Terroar?
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

It certainly can be wielded by Lord Gr'Asp (The Fwoosh Review makes this observation, too), but the Original Errol McCarthy proposed Card Back art shows the Whiplash-headed guy (now famously known as Terroar) with a Staff, while the Sssqueeze-headed, Clawful-clawed one (Gr'Asp, of course) just has the King Hiss replica Shield.

For me the staff is a symbol of their rank in the army. Ssssqueeze being the lowest ranked one because of style of staff and with Kobra Kahn, Lord Gr’asp and the other snake men not ranked because they don’t have one

Honestly it was a cheap accessory for Mattel to constantly reuse with MOTUC's snakemen.

Only King Hssss should have wielded a staff as he was also a magic user. You never saw any of the others with a staff in the MYP cartoon, Only King Hsss carried one.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

Well most of the vintage snake carried those silly staves so the cheap reuse has heritage.

I only have King Hssss holding a staff on my shelf. And itís Rattlorís red and gold one because it looks the coolest.

There is nothing concrete in canon, but some possibilities could be: 1) The Snakemen all have a staff because each one can use magic of a sort. 2) The staff is given to certain members so King Hsss can use magic through them or give it out. 3) The other staves are given out as status symbols in the ranks. 4) King Hsss uses the staff as a communication tool to other Snakemen. 5) Endless possibilities etcetera......
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

i totally agree with you on this Bride4u, really only king hiss should have one, as he is a magic user. Buttttttt, we also know why all the originally snake men got them in the line, because of the parts reuse Mattel used so often, same as why all horde members have crossbows nowadays. So my solution to this is that to better diverisfy their weaponary rather then having the standard bottom to the staff, add an over that would fit over it, with things like axe blades, spear tips, long bladed knives, that way its more then just a staff its actually a weapon. When i did my Early Concept Rattlor custom, one thing i wanted to do to make him more barbaric was to give him that type of weapoanry, so i cut the bottom of an extra staff i had and put a ep king randor spear tip. Then, coming out of the snakes mouth, had a scythe type blade that i had extending out.
    early concept rattlor.jpg
    early concept rattlor1.jpg
    I think it looks great and getting more creative with the accessories with the snake men is so worth it. In reality there is not much else to give them, in regards to looking back in past media and figures, tung lashor got his crossbow, kobra khan got his gun, Squeeze snake thing is not even a staff, to be perfectly blunt i really have no idea what it is. The only weapon i can think of that they havent gotten, and it came out after the figure was release was a large snake sword that Rattlor had in the DC comics Eternity War series, looks similar to the one that was released with the Snakemen 2 pack, but bigger and a little different.

The other thing that bothered me was that the snake staff snake had a rattle at the end of its tail. im sure the original designers of the staffs choose that as it is the most recogniziable tail to a snake, but to our purposes, its really only applicable to Rattlor and Streatch Nekkkk at this point.

To further trick out certain staffs, i was thinking of using one of the red snakes that come out of Snake Face in the mouth of his staff to show it could generate gorgon power with it as well. For Tung lashors I would want a extra long snake tongue prob from from some other toyline to represent a a whip like appendage that could be used in combat. Terroars some similates sound waves coming out or maybe a tuning fork on the bottom of the staff, Lord Grasps, a claw like weapon, Fangors a wrench, Snake man at arms a mace. Just my thought on it People can get creative with it.

Very Cool, facet! I had seen You mention Your customized Snake Staff (in some other Thread, I think?), so nice to see it in action! And Your "Concept" Rattlor/Strettch-Nek? is Awesome! :^D

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Squeeze snake thing is not even a staff, to be perfectly blunt i really have no idea what it is.
    It's a gun, isn't it? In the Vintage line, he aimed the head (which had a barrel sticking out the mouth) by grasping it around the neck, and then its tail coiled up his arm. Of course, SSSqueeze's Card-Back back in the day referred to it as a "Pet Snake"(!), so make of that what You will. In Masters Classics, that whole "firearm" thing sort of got lost in the re-design, it became much more staff-like (though still way off the mark), and the thing in its mouth became an actual forked tongue. Though I am still disbelieving that it could ever be considered a "Pet", LoL.
    Last edited by Snake_Man; January 19, 2018 at 07:33pm.
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Honestly it was a cheap accessory for Mattel to constantly reuse with MOTUC's snakemen.

Only King Hssss should have wielded a staff as he was also a magic user. You never saw any of the others with a staff in the MYP cartoon, Only King Hsss carried one.
    yes, and it bothered me that they all had staves back then...and it bothers me now. BUT I cannot bring myself not to display my MOTUC without them. I have Rattlor & Snake Face standing behind on either side of King Hiss, holding theirs in such a way that it looks like a nice snake banner display behind King Hiss's head, but the rest kinda hold them awkwardly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Well most of the vintage snake carried those silly staves so the cheap reuse has heritage.

I only have King Hssss holding a staff on my shelf. And itís Rattlorís red and gold one because it looks the coolest.
    I wish I could bring myself to limit it to just him. I do like the way I have the two held behind him, but I'd love to just ditch the rest...but man I cannot bring myself to not display an accessory if the figure has a free hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    Very Cool, facet! I had seen You mention Your customized Snake Staff (in some other Thread, I think?), so nice to see it in action! And Your "Concept" Rattlor/Strettch-Nek? is Awesome! :^D

It's a gun, isn't it? In the Vintage line, he aimed the head (which had a barrel sticking out the mouth) by grasping it around the neck, and then its tail coiled up his arm. Of course, SSSqueeze's Card-Back back in the day referred to it as a "Pet Snake"(!), so make of that what You will. In Masters Classics, that whole "firearm" thing sort of got lost in the re-design, it became much more staff-like (though still way off the mark), and the thing in its mouth became an actual forked tongue. Though I am still disbelieving that it could ever be considered a "Pet", LoL.
    I feel like it's "tounge" looks like a dart. I see it as a snake themed poisonous dart launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post

The vintage one was definitely a gun. It had a barrel coming out of the mouth with gas relief holes on the sides. The gimmick was the fact he needed such an outlandish handle. The new one missed the details of the gun barrel totally.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

image.jpeg
    I thought that looked like a tongue, it's does look like a gun barrel

that's really cool to see. I never saw the vintage one IRL. I'm still happy with the "tongue as poisonous dart" launcher idea I had about it.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    that's really cool to see. I never saw the vintage one IRL. I'm still happy with the "tongue as poisonous dart" launcher idea I had about it.
    That IS a cool new concept for MoTUC SSSqueeze's re-designed weapon. (I just wish he held it better!)

Thanks for sharing Your idea! :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"