Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is it too late to get in the game?

Widget
    This is a very expensive hobby as I just started last month! And you thought you were too late. I'm not a completist so I have the luxury of cherry picking the ones I really want and don't mind paying extra. For example, I'm only looking for the collection during the Mini Comic era which consists of only 10 figures. Granted they ranged from $40-$100, I set aside $2,000 which sounds nuts but I have all that I want (Castle Grayskull included!) and I'm over the moon. If I subscribed, I would have ultimately spent way more and have a bunch of stuff I don't want sitting in boxes in the attic.

I also started way too late.
    It's almost impossible now to collect all the main characters from the classics line. The castle Grayskull classics looks gorgeous but nowhere to be found and if you do, it costs as much as a small used car.

Hence I'm very happy Mattel is making a new line, MOTU origins. This time I won't miss any of those, hopefully we'll get a massive castle Grayskull for those as well
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

It's far too late. At least if you want A list or some certain characters.
    I tried to get back into it a few months ago and got over a dozen figures but sold them all off as my favourite characters are to expensive and the buck body still has issues and a lot of the figures I got were poorly engineered so I sold them all.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Depends on how much money you intend to invest on this. If you have a big budget, it's never too late However, if you want to keep budget at a reasonable amount, yes, it's far too late. With the "virtually" announced end of Classics (I know, I know, nothing said officially, that's why I said "virtually"), I tried to get some previously issued characters, but I had the rule to try not to pay more than $100 for 1 action figure, including shipping. I was able to get what I considered essential to fill in the gaps of my collection, but those were just like 7 figures, and they were not any of those super sought-after characters.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    I also started way too late.
    It's almost impossible now to collect all the main characters from the classics line. The castle Grayskull classics looks gorgeous but nowhere to be found and if you do, it costs as much as a small used car.

Hence I'm very happy Mattel is making a new line, MOTU origins. This time I won't miss any of those, hopefully we'll get a massive castle Grayskull for those as well
    Honestly, if they just change the throne... they can rerelease the MOTUC Castle for Origins. I've found the castle looks even better and even more massive when next to a 5" figure then it does a 6" one

I wouldn’t say it’s too late as long as you are prepared to pay 35-100 dollars for a figure. If you’re patient you will definitely find a bargain now and then. It’s a great line and definitely worth getting in to!

Court Magician
    this is interesting topic.

remembering when i got into classics they just released Tri clops and even then i felt like i was getting in "too late" haha

cant imagine tryin to tap into the classic line now in 2019 for the 1st time, however as many stated, its soooooooooooooo worth the price of admission. If i had the money and the nostalgic love, then hell yeah id drop $350 for fisto in hearbeat. cuz he's worth it. knowing not everyone has the expendable $, but if you do, then go for it and enjoy the heck out of the toys.
    always look at from this perspective, some cats go out drinking/clubbing and drop $500+ in one night and ****/eat it all away. you spend $200 on scareglow and he's glowing in your life for the rest of your life(hopefully lol)

personally play with the classics toys, and sometimes play HARD, and all the roughing around wit the figures reminds me of how well built they are and totally worth the high price tag in that respects too

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post

always look at from this perspective, some cats go out drinking/clubbing and drop $500+ in one night and ****/eat it all away. you spend $200 on scareglow and he's glowing in your life for the rest of your life(hopefully lol)
    Yep! That's the way I look at it too!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

We only have one life, and life is short, maybe you might die tomorow. Don't waste time worrying about what people think or about money you spend. You want MOTUC, buy MOTUC and enjoy it, like we enjoyed it.

This is obviously a very subjective topic but it's an important one that will unfortunately go nowhere. Much of this will just be me venting so please bare with me.

I started collecting MOTUC in 2013 and I consider myself not just late in the game but "extremely late" in the game since it started 5 years prior. I missed out on many, many figures that I'll never get to own now because for some reason, they go for way more than they're worth on the secondary market. I've never been and will never be okay with that but I've come to accept the fact that I'll probably never complete my collection. Now, understand that I'm a huge MOTU fan, like you all are, and have been for over 30 years, just like many of you. I nearly had every figure, vehicle, beast and playset as a kid and I took good care of my collection (before it was thrown out). It was my favorite collection back then and it's my favorite collection today but... not in the same way. Online sales have ruined the toy market and that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. The problem, is many people choose to ignore that fact. I've said this many times, "online sales are good for companies, not for consumers". But Palazzolor, I've been shopping online for years and have never had a problem. Yeah, me neither. It's not the point of things arriving at your doorstep in a timely manner or not, it's the point of control and what online sellers have over you. Who's in control? It's not you and its certainly not me. Because there is only one way to get Classics Fisto, people that I've labeled years ago called "gotta have its" will come out of the woodwork and say that paying the astronomical price those sellers are asking for him is worth it. Fisto, for example, is going for more than each of my two car payments...for a 6-inch action figure? Yeah, he's awesome, don't get me wrong. He's probably one of the best in the collection but that still does not justify gouging people like that. And yes, I know the story behind Fisto. It still doesn't justify that stupid price. It's all about control. Battle Armor He-man...he's going for about $100, plus shipping sometimes. You might be able to find him for $80. Seriously? These figures should have been in retail stores as well as online, from the beginning. The toy companies say they could have never done that. Really, because there happens to be enough fans to have a whole MOTU convention and that's not even ALL the fans. Okay , I'm done now.

To answer the question though... it's never too late to start collecting MOTUC figures but you can most certainly be too late to get them at semi-reasonable prices. I collect 6-inch action figures so I also collect Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series as well. Those $20 prices aren't real good either but they're the best there is right now and you can actually get sales on those if you hit it at the right time.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    To answer the question though... it's never too late to start collecting MOTUC figures but you can most certainly be too late to get them at semi-reasonable prices. I collect 6-inch action figures so I also collect Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series as well. Those $20 prices aren't real good either but they're the best there is right now and you can actually get sales on those if you hit it at the right time.
    I know how you feel. It's expensive but these figures were created by fans (Four Horsemen) for fans. You see the love and attention put into them. That's what makes it all the more special. Mattel probably didn't make much money off of this line so i'ts not like corporate are ripping off consumers. Prices are crazy but you must know that you will get your money back if you sell so the price argument is moot. You're never going to see these figures in a garage sale. That's for damn sure given they were limited and subscription only. Oh I'm sure that your cars are going to depreciate waay faster than these figures Buy Fisto and take a bunch of pics. Sell him for a few extra bucks in a year. I just know that there aren't many out there on the used market. I'm never letting go of mine that's for sure. Why would I?

My guess is that the next adult iteration of MOTU may go the way of seamless body TBleague type figures. who knows? I'm not gonna miss out on it next time!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimikrakra View Post
    We only have one life, and life is short, maybe you might die tomorow. Don't waste time worrying about what people think or about money you spend. You want MOTUC, buy MOTUC and enjoy it, like we enjoyed it.
    Nicely said!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.