Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel Dan's 2018 Toy Fair walk-through with Super7

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    If they are going to presell figures, then they need to keep as close as possible to what was presented during the Presale - the color change on tri-klops shouldn't have happened. If they didn't presale these then that would never have been an issue. You can't take money from people and make such a big decision and expect no backlash or even the loss of customers. I feel like they want the freedom to change these to their liking even at the last second but they really shouldn't have that type of freedom if they are going to presale - presale holds them accountable to what they presented during the presale
    Quoted for truth.

I think that is an unforgivable mistake! I am super angry about that issue! I just plain hate the neongreen and I did not buy that green when the presale went live!
    Re-release Dino-Riders sculpted by the Four Horsemen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xetheus View Post
    Absolutely....so any "mistake" that shows off to the keen collector's eye won't be acknowledged since what we will be shown in the future is probably 99 % of what we will receive.

What's more...did I get that right? The factory uses different peg lengths? So one Teela will look alright while the next one looks even worse because the necks of the pegs are longer on one figure than on the other? What kind of bull is that?

I just hope that I will receive a figure with short necks and nor medium pegs? That is something that should never have happened!!!

That drives me absolute nuts right now. There is no way I can fix my figure because of this peg situation? How can you still use two sizes of pegs when you KNOW the hips have to be as tight as possible?

That is a variant right there and everyone will want the one with short pegs!

I dunno what to say!!!
    Neck?! I didn't hear anything about the neck, but the hip peg thing? Ouch. Did they run out of small and have to use medium then? Or?!

Maybe there'll be one or two showing up with the long peg. The super articulated variant for extreme posing possibilities!

With any luck ( assuming no-one knows how many were produced ) the number of Teelas with child-bearing hips shall be at a minimum, ensuring fewer returned purchases...

I think that is an unforgivable mistake! I am super angry about that issue!
    You seem to be angry a lot. I'm looking at your posts from the past few years and you have a long history of seemingly being upset about numerous things. Plus you often post angry or eye rolling faces, or post sarcastic remarks, or post border-line insulting comments. That's not working to your benefit.

I'm not saying your frustration about some things isn't justified. And I understand that your comments are born out of your passion for MOTU. But ultimately, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    They started looking more and more plain and out of sync. To see a beast like Mantenna in my hand look so amazing then pull out Madam Razz, it is a stark difference.
    I've talked about this before. Razz and a few other figures that were more Filmation'esque were pre-Super7. So we already had a mix of aesthetics in Classics.

Over the past couple of years, I had been noticing that trend of departing from the purpose of MOTUC, and it had been kind of annoying.
    What purpose, though?
    Because the only things I'm aware of in particular is that CC is supposed to be about letting fans help to decide what characters came out next. And CG is about the release of Filmation variants of previously released figures.
    I don't recall anything stating that a specific design aesthetic was supposed to exist in Collector's Choice. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall that.

Even Val has insinuated that the terrible $35 Hawke figure, Granita, and the Fisher Price Dylamug is the direction that those figures are headed in. The 4H and Brian apparently want it this way.
    Fisher-Price Dylamug? I saw the prototype in person and thought it was amazing. It definitely did not look like a toddler's toy to me, or to the fans who were there with me at Super7's store who were raving over the figure.

Regardless, I think the poll results I'll be posting this week where fans voted about things like aesthetics should offer up some interesting discussion.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Sounds good to me. I hope I get the small leg pegs!

Anyone know where to buy the first 3 reaction motu series?
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Sounds good to me. I hope I get the small leg pegs!

Anyone know where to buy the first 3 reaction motu series?
    Nope you're getting the Pirate Teela and Hawke with two small peg legs
    So Glad Super7 has the Thundercats Lic. Looking forward to all they have to offer.

It'll be interesting to see who gets figures with medium pegs and who gets them with small, from the sounds of it the medium ones should be few and far between, although any versions of the figures we've seen so far all seem to have the medium ones.

I appreciate Brian and Dan taking the time to do this Q&A. Not sure if it was him being sick or not, but I agree with some that Brian did seem a little defeated in the interview. There are valid criticisms, but often I feel like the complaints start out ok but quickly turn vitriolic and hyperbole takes over and soon everything is the worst thing ever and a piece of trash that should be thrown into a lava pit. I know if I was in his shoes, it would affect me.

At any rate....I understand the perspective he has on changing the color on Tri-Klops, but I definitely don't agree with the decision. I know I don't have the figure yet to put side by side the original Tri-Klops, but I know that the green on the Classics Tri-Klops and the darker green that was originally intended are not that similar. They are definitely different enough to have been a sufficient variation from the original. I know Brian's perspective is that something has to be sufficiently different to be re-released, but he may not understand that to us, the Filmation design is definitely sufficient variation, and most importantly, we want them to look how they did on the TV screen, and don't need big color changes. If they make Mekaneck, are they going to make him purple instead of blue? Will Shadow Weaver be yellow? I know these are dramatic examples, but to me that's how dramatic the change in Tri-Klops was.

I'm not sure how to feel about not showing prototypes. I have said in the past maybe they (meaning whoever was making the toys at the time) should possibly not show prototypes since it seems to only disappoint people when they see the final product. There were many variations from prototype to plastic figure during Mattel's run as well. So, I could understand witholding them to not create these false expectations. But on the other hand, I would hate to not get to see the Four Horsemen's work.

Regarding holding off showing new stuff, again I understand his reasoning, but honestly, a certain segment is going to complain about any decision made. I think most of the fans would have preferred to see something new this weekend. But, I suppose we only have to wait a few more weeks when they close the current pre-order.

I'm still rooting for them to succeed, and am very excited to finally be getting my first set of figures in a few days. Hopefully we can start getting things on a fine-tuned schedule and all the messiness of the past couple months can be left behind.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Great video, and great answers by Brian Flynn despite laryngitis! I hope I get decent leg pegs and face paint apps. I think if my copies of wave 1 look as good as on the shelf at Toy Fair, I will be pleased.

I don't have major issues with the thigh gap, because I usually put the females in a wide legged stance anyway so that they don't tower over the male figures. Poor Glimmer is practically doing a split!

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    But ultimately, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
    Debatable

xkcd.com/357/

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    I've talked about this before. Razz and a few other figures that were more Filmation'esque were pre-Super7. So we already had a mix of aesthetics in Classics.
    I think you may have misread our good friend. I took him to mean that he was viewing Razz as sort of the beginning of a decline, even pre-Super7 (Not that the mix of aesthetics didn't exist, simply that a decline had already begun and now continues). That is, it isn't a pro/against Super7 thing, but an "over time, I see this decline," thing.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

I was surprised to see my question picked and even more surprised no one had previously expressed interest in prints of Jason Edmiston's card art for the ReAction line! I would love to get my hands on nice 18 x 24 prints of the forthcoming Scareglow, Evil-Lyn and Faker art... and I haven't even seen them yet (just basing this off of how happy I was with Zodac and Tri-Klops from the earlier waves).

All in all, I am happy with Brian's explanation of things and agree that they should wait until product is further along before showing what is coming.

Heroic Warrior
    My biggest concern on the pegs is getting a figure with 2 different sizes. I spotted on the first images Hawke had one good hip and one bad, and that makes sense. This stuff happens a lot actually with running changes even with big toy lines. But it's still a bummer.

I'm also a part of the MotU fanbase and i'm collecting MotU stuff since 1999. So Super 7 also gets my money. And i'm happy with what i get for my money. So, there are collectors outside who actually like what Super 7 are doing. I even like the decision which Brian made about the colour on Tri-Klops armor. Even the decision not to show the 4HM prototypes. We all know how great those prototypes look and we all know (since day 1 of the MotU Classics and even the 200X line) that the final toy will NEVER look exactly the same! The final produced figures will always look different. Do you guys really forgot about the last 15 years of MotU showing up on the shelves of all the Comic Cons and Toy Fairs? There is nothing new in the first presentation and final production of an action figure these days. Still the same as it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Yeah, the figure quality has gone down and the price almost doubled. If S7 feels deflated, imagine how the consumers and collectors feel. They keep making missteps in how they are handling the line. Instead of feeling deflated, they should be motivated to step up their game.
    This.

Super7 had to know that the wide hips and inconsistent paint apps on Teela were going to cause backlash. And it's valid backlash.

I'm trying to dial back my criticism of Super7 (what's the point, they are what they are), but their handling of this line has not been quite as good as some people in this thread and others keep maintaining. There were problems and delays with the Ultimates. There were serious problems with the PowerCon figures. There are problems and even more delays with Wave 1 (despite Super7 flying over to China to inspect them; and it doesn't matter whose fault the leg peg issue is, the fact is that customers are paying for these figures regardless). Super7 has produced a LOT of figures when you add it up and none of them have really been quite what fans should be getting for $35 each.

And remember, this is the company now selling you Hawke for $35! Who signed off on that super-sized head?

As I said, they are trying. But the results aren't there.

And they still aren't great at communication. I won't beat this horse any more here, but they shouldn't treat information like they are the CIA.
    Last edited by jscott991; February 19, 2018 at 12:05pm.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

As much as I want to support Super 7 and stay positive I can’t help but feel a little let down about the explanation about the hips and the change in colour of Tri-clops.

Don’t get me wrong I think Brian is great and I’m grateful for everything him and Suoer 7 are doing with MOTU. BUT there was no real apology about the fact that we are being sent out expensive figures that have been assembled incorrectly. I seriously doubt there are many figures with the correct short pegs as they clearly couldnt find a correctly assembled Hawke figure to display at Toy Fair.

As for Tri-Clops. I am a filmation fan and only collect the filmation based characters. This was probably the one and only time Tri-Clops had the chance of a true filmation release. This was not a time to make him some kind of colour variant. Especially after the pre order had closed and with no communication with the people who paid for that figure.

I hope this is taken as fair criticism and not seen as bashing or being crazy negative? I always try to champion Super 7 and I still want to support the lines

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Can someone please explain. So the TriClops colour was changed because it was too similar to the one people already had on thier selves, and he wondered why people would buy the same. That’s a great point if the line wasn’t preorder only and all the purchases were done by people buying the similar figure for their shelves.

So the order window was closed and they sold x amount. Somewhere during production the colour changed to not be so similar because the want more people to purchase it. When are we going to be able to purchase it knowing it won’t be similar?
    Right... His reasoning is counter to logic. More likely, he wanted to change it, so he did. He also admitted that they should have told us, and didn't. (And this plays into the later reveals for the next wave - I suppose this is a good call -- if you aren't willing to get ahead of these kinds of things, then don't advertise things that you intend to change for reasons other than fixes).

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    I can tell you the crew over at Super 7 are all very genuinely saddened by the online backlash and one of them used the word "deflated" about how they felt after the reaction to the Lulu Berg pics. Criticisms of the product (many valid) aside, they are fans at Super 7 making toys for other fans, and they are very invested in making a good product and really care. They were proud of the figures and it undoubtedly stung. No 2 ways about it, you couldn't be at their booth yesterday and not get that disapointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    I hope Brian doesn’t take the feedback too much to heart. I definitely picked up a feeling of slight defeat or frustration on his part.
    I hope he does take it to heart! When he continually make changes to something people have already paid for without telling them, he deserves to feel defeated if they don't like it. He made the wrong call! If not by changing things then in declining to inform the people whose money he's using to produce these figures. Just like in morality, shame is a motivator not to do the same thing again. But it follows also that when we get figures we love, we need to say so, because encouragement is also a motivator.

Brian has admitted that there were mistakes in both the way he's handled changes and that there have been factory errors. When you mess up, you deserve to feel it. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not -- S7 still a company, providing a product, and relating to customers (when they choose to answer their emails). Professionals will take criticism and turn it into a better product.

But also: these criticisms have been limited to three products, right? Hawke, Teela, and Tri-Klops. He should be able to take that to heart and still look at the rest and say "okay, great here, but *clearly* these others fell short," and have some notions on how to improve both consumer satisfaction and the overall quality of the figures."

I used to really like Brian's manner. That is fading as he abuses my good will, over and over. He says he understands why people are upset, and YET, he and Super 7 have done the same thing over and over: Ram-Man's armor, non-resealable packaging, Tri-Klops's armor, and female figure hip pins. Three decisions made without advance notice (Why, oh WHY would he not get ahead of these things? At least for Tri-Klops?) and one (what seems to be) factory error. And I'm sorry, the sculpt for CG Teela's head might be fine, but her likeness to the source material isn't commensurate to the likeness of any figure yet made. Every prior figure has had a better likeness to the source material. So maybe it's a "good head," but it's the worst likeness thus far. I understand that the fine details of Teela's face are difficult to get right at a small scale, but I also hear in this something a bit similar to "females are harder to animate," since other figures have been done so well.

I still think Brian is likable, I still like some *other* S7 products, but I've already ceased buying CC (although in full disclosure not solely because of these issues, but it was in combination with them), and I'm really nervous now about what the next wave is going to look like. I come away from this interview more or less unsatisfied with his answers, and less hopeful than before, excepting that I can hope I'll get a Teela with short pegs, and not medium pegs.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

This Walk-through reminds me of the old ones with Toy Guru. What happened to him btw (don't see him on forums anymore)?

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    This.

Super7 had to know that the wide hips and inconsistent paint apps on Teela were going to cause backlash. And it's valid backlash.

I'm trying to dial back my criticism of Super7 (what's the point, they are what they are), but their handling of this line has not been quite as good as some people in this thread and others keep maintaining. There were problems and delays with the Ultimates. There were serious problems with the PowerCon figures. There are problems and even more delays with Wave 1 (despite Super7 flying over to China to inspect them; and it doesn't matter whose fault the leg peg issue is, the fact is that customers are paying for these figures regardless). Super7 has produced a LOT of figures when you add it up and none of them have really been quite what fans should be getting for $35 each.

And remember, this is the company now selling you Hawke for $35! Who signed off on that super-sized head?

As I said, they are trying. But the results aren't there.

And they still aren't great at communication. I won't beat this horse any more here, but they shouldn't treat information like they are the CIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansync View Post
    As much as I want to support Super 7 and stay positive I can’t help but feel a little let down about the explanation about the hips and the change in colour of Tri-clops.

Don’t get me wrong I think Brian is great and I’m grateful for everything him and Suoer 7 are doing with MOTU. BUT there was no real apology about the fact that we are being sent out expensive figures that have been assembled incorrectly. I seriously doubt there are many figures with the correct short pegs as they clearly couldnt find a correctly assembled Hawke figure to display at Toy Fair.

As for Tri-Clops. I am a filmation fan and only collect the filmation based characters. This was probably the one and only time Tri-Clops had the chance of a true filmation release. This was not a time to make him some kind of colour variant. Especially after the pre order had closed and with no communication with the people who paid for that figure.

I hope this is taken as fair criticism and not seen as bashing or being crazy negative? I always try to champion Super 7 and I still want to support the lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    Right... His reasoning is counter to logic. More likely, he wanted to change it, so he did. He also admitted that they should have told us, and didn't. (And this plays into the later reveals for the next wave - I suppose this is a good call -- if you aren't willing to get ahead of these kinds of things, then don't advertise things that you intend to change for reasons other than fixes).

I hope he does take it to heart! When he continually make changes to something people have already paid for without telling them, he deserves to feel defeated if they don't like it. He made the wrong call! If not by changing things then in declining to inform the people whose money he's using to produce these figures. Just like in morality, shame is a motivator not to do the same thing again. But it follows also that when we get figures we love, we need to say so, because encouragement is also a motivator.

Brian has admitted that there were mistakes in both the way he's handled changes and that there have been factory errors. When you mess up, you deserve to feel it. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not -- S7 still a company, providing a product, and relating to customers (when they choose to answer their emails). Professionals will take criticism and turn it into a better product.

But also: these criticisms have been limited to three products, right? Hawke, Teela, and Tri-Klops. He should be able to take that to heart and still look at the rest and say "okay, great here, but *clearly* these others fell short," and have some notions on how to improve both consumer satisfaction and the overall quality of the figures."

I used to really like Brian's manner. That is fading as he abuses my good will, over and over. He says he understands why people are upset, and YET, he and Super 7 have done the same thing over and over: Ram-Man's armor, non-resealable packaging, Tri-Klops's armor, and female figure hip pins. Three decisions made without advance notice (Why, oh WHY would he not get ahead of these things? At least for Tri-Klops?) and one (what seems to be) factory error. And I'm sorry, the sculpt for CG Teela's head might be fine, but her likeness to the source material isn't commensurate to the likeness of any figure yet made. Every prior figure has had a better likeness to the source material. So maybe it's a "good head," but it's the worst likeness thus far. I understand that the fine details of Teela's face are difficult to get right at a small scale, but I also hear in this something a bit similar to "females are harder to animate," since other figures have been done so well.

I still think Brian is likable, I still like some *other* S7 products, but I've already ceased buying CC (although in full disclosure not solely because of these issues, but it was in combination with them), and I'm really nervous now about what the next wave is going to look like. I come away from this interview more or less unsatisfied with his answers, and less hopeful than before, excepting that I can hope I'll get a Teela with short pegs, and not medium pegs.

I absolutely agree here, although Val hates me now since I am nothing, but negative

Look Val, no rolling eyes this time

I am not a negative person, but things that went bad have to be named here or elsewhere for Super 7 to become aware of, to improve their product and therefore to succeed and for the customer to get the product she / he paid for!
    Re-release Dino-Riders sculpted by the Four Horsemen!!!

One thing that struck me as weird about this interview. Why would people want a book of cardback art? Can't you just keep the cards when you get the figure, even if you're not a moc person?
    Also, even though the Triklops color change thing doesn't bother me, I do think it's strange to pick that one figure when other filmation figures have the same color schemes as the regular Motuc but they were left alone.
    Last edited by He-Kal; February 19, 2018 at 12:42pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    This Walk-through reminds me of the old ones with Toy Guru. What happened to him btw (don't see him on forums anymore)?
    He's working at Entertainment Earth running their Biff Bang Pow lines. Saw him Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    He's working at Entertainment Earth running their Biff Bang Pow lines. Saw him Saturday!
    Thanks for that update. I was wondering what he was up to also. Last I knew he was at Jakks Pacific but then went somewhere else but didn't know where.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    I think you may have misread our good friend. I took him to mean that he was viewing Razz as sort of the beginning of a decline, even pre-Super7 (Not that the mix of aesthetics didn't exist, simply that a decline had already begun and now continues). That is, it isn't a pro/against Super7 thing, but an "over time, I see this decline," thing.
    To use your own term: Debatable.

hee hee

What some fans feel is a decline, others like or are fine with. And I'm talking about things like aesthetics and character choice. We're at that point in this almost-ten-year-old-line where there's rarely a clear voice for what the majority of the Classics' customer base wants to see.

I think we're all going to be doing a lot of agreeing to disagree for future Classics product.

I absolutely agree here, although Val hates me now since I am nothing, but negative
    Why do you think I hate you? I don't hate or dislike you at all.

Instead, I feel you'd be benefiting yourself to be more constructive, and I want you to be heard. That goes for anyone who feels and posts in a fashion similar to your own.

In my experience, angry comments driven by passion are often ignored. But polite, constructive feedback backed by good data almost always works better for having one's voice be heard and also considered, at least when it comes to commercial product like toys or comics.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

All this talk in this thread griping of QC and the price were paying for these figures now reminds me...I was cleaning up stuff in my collection the other day and found an invoice for the Original Motuc Skeletor from Digital River (remember them? ) in 2009 that showed the figure was $20. Gotta love inflation!

All this talk in this thread griping of QC and the price were paying for these figures now reminds me...I was cleaning up stuff in my collection the other day and found an invoice for the Original Motuc Skeletor from Digital River (remember them? ) in 2009 that showed the figure was $20. Gotta love inflation!
    Didn't CG Skeletor sell for $20 in 2016?
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    Didn't CG Skeletor sell for $20 in 2016?
    Hmmm, not sure-I thought it was like $25 to $30

- - - Updated - - -

Was just going back through and looking at the pics of the figures and I see why people are complaining now.
    Hawke's head and hips are waaay to big. And, the Sorceress...... Her face looks like she's dehydrated or needs to eat a cheeseburgerSorceress.jpg
    Other than that the figures seem ok..

Hmmm, not sure-I thought it was like $25 to $30
    It was $20 for subscribers, and a bit more, I think $25, on Matty. But, I think they were giving way more of a discount than what truly made them anywhere near profitable (as Toy Guru mentioned after he left - he was quite surprised they knocked them down to $20). It was pretty unrealistic that they were selling them at $20 at the time, and I believe quality suffered as a result, and also set up unreasonable expectations of what the price should be now.