Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Super7 wave 1 CC & CG arrival thread...

Heroic Warrior
    “The point is, these figures have major flaws by comparison to Mattel's releases. That is categorical and undeniable. Whether one finds cause to be unhappy or gleeful about it is not my concern. What I question is why someone chooses to ignore the obvious flaws and act like everything is all peaches and cream”

Me thinks you’re forgetting the MULTIPLE ISSUES with numerous figures from Mattel, some of which involved changes from the prototypes to the final figure.

Double Trouble or NA Skeletor, Anyone?

Also, Hsss was one of the first figures Mattel put out in MOTUC, AND HE HAD FRIGGIN’ reverse shoulders that I can’t remember if Mattel ever really copped to screwing up and they did BUPKISS to try and make it right.

The “obvious flaws” to you are, in some instances, a matter of opinion.

The only real issue I see with the CC figures I got is that Hawke looks to have different leg pegs, but as she’s going to go on a shelf by Stratos, not the end of the world.

Yeah, having QC issues for a figure run sucks, but you must have selective amnesia to forget how many goofs and screwups Mattel had over the years to dump on Super7 so hard, from the major to the minor that I’d be willing to bet probably cost as much over the course of a few figures if not more than the Super 7 Wave 1 has.
    Last edited by Capt_Piett; February 27, 2018 at 04:26pm.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    What I see as major QC issues...
    Roboto's chest shattering and decomposing
    Snout Spouts trunk cracking
    Green Goddess's Pelvis blowing out
    Angella's eyes looking in 2 different directions (derp)

I don't put a loose torso joint or a couple spots where the paint wasn't perfect as anything as bad as these.

Poor design choices:
    Frosta - using gray instead of white
    Frosta - translucent hair
    Frosta... Poor thing.
    Puffy armor - Hydron and Seahawk, ugh
    Reversed shoulders and arms

I agree that no figure should break. And it would be good to know when a figure is no longer meant to have a head or parts swapping option. I do think Super7 has been making marked improvements with each release. I wouldn't put these in the same quality category as the Power Con releases.

Stuff like a loose joint here and there or a sloppy paint app here and there, not great, but not unforgivable for the big picture. I collect MP and 3P Transformers too and stuff like loose or tight joints happen, so do sloppy paint apps. It's not consistent but it does happen from time to time.

Is the current product perfect? No. Is it good? Yes. I feel that Super7 is listening and doing their best to continue to make improvements and I think their product is way better than Mattel in the final 2-3 years.
    Just to chime in here jzachery is right. and what we also need to remember is any of the QC issues took place during production and and assembly Most likely after Brian left The factory in China because if he was there He wouldn't allow fingerprints in the paint on the figures , He wouldn't have let them Assemble Tri-Klops head parts while both sections were still freshly wet with paint. He wouldn't allow mixed peg lengths on the same figure or two right arms to be used on the same figure etc.

Super7 prides themselves on their product and the Factory Let super7 down bigtime. because These were QC issues that could have easily been avoided. The Factory owner knew what Brian signed off on and they didn't do it right. Mattels factory pulld this crap too with fingerprints in wet paint, poor paint apps and swapped limbs. Unless you stand over them from Concept to packaging You can't see what they are doing. I'm sure Brian has a list of things he will be addressing with his factorys owner.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    6. Hawke: So bad that I won't even display her. I don't like her face...I don't like her lack of detailing, and I especially don't like that I got one long and one short peg in the hips. She's awkward looking at every angle and almost single-handedly ruined me for MOTUC. (She was the first one I opened in this shipment and I almost stopped because I was disgusted). The worst MOTUC figure to date IMO.

Hawke: 0 out of 10.
    Every picture I've seen backs this opinion up. Originally, when Wave 1 was announced, this was the only figure I wanted. It's disappointing how this figure evolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I'm sure Brian has a list of things he will be addressing with his factorys owner.
    I'm sure too. But that isn't going to get us another CG Teela or CC Hawke. Those figures are what they are forever, and people paid for them.

I get giving Super7 future chances. But I think too many people are willing to gloss over the fact that the ship has sailed now for some figures. This isn't like letting a pizza place get its feet wet before deciding never to order again. We will NEVER be able to buy a Filmation Teela or Hawke for this line again.
    Last edited by jscott991; February 27, 2018 at 04:56pm.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Just got this response from Super 7 about Tri-Klops:

Hey *****,

The visor on Tri-Klops is not intended to move. We understand it was a popular feature with this character but that was not something we were able to include.

Best,

Super7 Customer Care

This is a very disappointing response. Not a smart move imo for Super 7.

Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post

Hey *****,

The visor on Tri-Klops is not intended to move. We understand it was a popular feature with this character but that was not something we were able to include.

Best,

Super7 Customer Care

That's odd. I don't think that's the actual answer. I suspect we will hear more about this.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Heroic Warrior sandrockgundam04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    That's odd. I don't think that's the actual answer. I suspect we will hear more about this.
    Yeah, very odd indeed because it does in fact rotate. If it truly ISN'T meant to rotate it would explain why it was so much trouble to get moving.

Heroic Warrior
    Just replied to this on the other thread, but I'll repeat here that that answer rings totally false. Do they intend to release Man-E-Faces with only one face, I wonder? Mekaneck with no way to extend his head?

Quote Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
    Just replied to this on the other thread, but I'll repeat here that that answer rings totally false. Do they intend to release Man-E-Faces with only one face, I wonder? Mekaneck with no way to extend his head?
    Yeah especially since Reaction Mekaneck is going to have an extendable neck. I think clearly they don't want to refund or "fix" the problem so it's just easier to say it was never meant to rotate. Even though, every single Tri-Klops figure has had that feature and they molded the visor as a separate piece. Why not just save money and mold the whole head as one piece and paint it? They had to paint the straps around the face green anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by sandrockgundam04 View Post
    Yeah, very odd indeed because it does in fact rotate. If it truly ISN'T meant to rotate it would explain why it was so much trouble to get moving.
    Also if it wasn't meant to rotate why was the visor tooled as two separate sections instead of the head and visor as one solid piece.

Besides I can't see the Horsemen sculpting Tri-Klops without his only feature added
    Last edited by mjw41; February 27, 2018 at 06:58pm.

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

Heroic Warrior sandrockgundam04's Avatar
    I tagged Brian on a post on IG asking him for clarification on the visor, hopefully he responds.

Heroic Warrior
    It sounds like the sort of answer you get from a customer service individual who doesn’t really understand what you’re talking about like we got from time to time with Matty.

It makes absolutely no sense that he wasn’t intended to ship with the visor rotateable, because that has to be the absolute easiest “action feature” to include with a figure EVER.

Nor does it make sense that people have been able to make it rotate with a little bit of elbow grease, as if it was only intended to be one non-rotatable piece why wouldn’t they have sculpted it as one piece when it is clearly done as 2?
    Good Traders:

I got my Filmation MOTU figures and they look very nice...

Man at Arm's looks fantastic but the unpainted laser gun is the only bad thing from it.

Teela is awesome and I will get rid of my Ultimate Teela that doesn't look like the real deal. It will be for sale soon...

Tried Clops looks good but the figure is not as muscular as the original 5.5 inch figure...

Hordak and Imp... Both look spectacular... Wow very impressed by Hordak.... Is just like the cartoon character...

I cancelled today my pre order from the big badtoystore since I got these figures first from Super 7.

I'm excited by the next figures to come...

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel has a lot of issues

Shorting folks Fisto
    Black plastic
    Stinkor reversed forearms to make it pop
    Glued NA skeletor armor
    Cracking Roboto
    The whole filmation motuc hordak
    White dust on figures
    Red screen of doom
    Fast sell outs
    First edition skeletor not being able grip havoc staff
    The jitsu head
    Scareglow coming without castle gretskull key
    The diaper trunks on the females
    Puffy armor
    Chase figures that appear randomly
    Deep eye on angella, spikor
    Frosta total disaster
    Scott promising the early review samples of orko were corrected in production with the blue on the ears. But we’re NOT
    Stray glue from sloppy application to headdresses etc
    To much forehead on sorceress
    Last edited by degra; February 27, 2018 at 07:36pm.

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Yeah, and we took them to task for each and every one of those things, too! LOL! It's not like we're "picking on poor Super7", you know?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Mattel has a lot of issues

Shorting folks Fisto
    Black plastic
    Stinkor reversed forearms to make it pop
    Glued NA skeletor armor
    Cracking Roboto
    The whole filmation motuc hordak
    White dust on figures
    Red screen of doom
    Fast sell outs
    First edition skeletor not being able grip havoc staff
    The jitsu head
    Scareglow coming without castle gretskull key
    The diaper trunks on the females
    Puffy armor
    Chase figures that appear randomly
    Deep eye on angella, spikor
    Frosta total disaster
    Scott promising the early review samples of orko were corrected in production with the blue on the ears. But we’re NOT
    Stray glue from sloppy application to headdresses etc
    To much forehead on sorceress
    Are you saying it’s okay for your second wife to cheat on you because your first wife did to?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Yeah, and we took them to task for each and every one of those things, too! LOL! It's not like we're "picking on poor Super7", you know?
    That’s just it; Criticism where it’s due is one thing.

But some people are acting as if Mattel NEVER made a mistake and every figure was absolutely perfect, so how dare Super7 ship figures that had issues.
    Good Traders:

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    That’s just it; Criticism where it’s due is one thing.

But some people are acting as if Mattel NEVER made a mistake and every figure was absolutely perfect, so how dare Super7 ship figures that had issues.
    Three of the eight Super7 Wave 1 figures shipped with serious issues.

That's worthy of criticism.

People now have to make their own decision on what that means for Wave 2. I think they improve and learn. But if someone doesn't want to give them $35 a figure again, that's perfectly reasonable.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Court Magician
    I received my figures. They mostly look pretty great, although they are still un-opened. I have some concerns about my Teela. It appears the lower part of her breastplate is bent. I don't know how pliable this piece is or should I ask for a replacement. What do you guys think?20180227_165757.jpg20180227_165728.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post

Hey *****,

Best,

Super7 Customer Care

..... and I can only laugh at this point

This is just getting ridiculous. "not intended to move?'" I call shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by LordJameson View Post
    I received my figures. They mostly look pretty great, although they are still un-opened. I have some concerns about my Teela. It appears the lower part of her breastplate is bent. I don't know how pliable this piece is or should I ask for a replacement. What do you guys think?20180227_165757.jpg20180227_165728.jpg
    I would think if you used a blow dryer on that, it might go back into it's original position. I don't have mine in hand yet though, so I don't know how thick that plastic actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJameson View Post
    It's soft rubber and pliable from Toy Bro's review. If it doesn't look torn it will be fine

Heroic Warrior
    I agree. She will be fine - and her face is very well done!

Has anybody tried to put Club Grayskull Hordak's head on the SDCC Classics Hordak body?

Heroic Warrior
    But these are designed to be opened and then closed again. So he can open it and fix it and close it again.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

My order of CC figures arrived today!

So my detailed critique posts shall begin with Hawke.

Why? As a character/figure-design, I was the least interested in her from the go, but open to be impressed once I had her in-hand.

Overall? I am glad I have the figure, and there are many positives, although of course I have some constructive criticisms to bring up.

Hawke Critique
    Fang-Or | Lodar | Quakke
    Let me start out by saying that if I was a MOC collector, (which I'm not) I'd probably be rather upset? So, lets get some points of criticism out of the way first. I mean all my criticism with the most constructive and open-to-discussion spirit.

In-Package Criticism
    • The loose extra head: Her extra head is in a little baggie, loose within the packaging. That is, not seated like her weapons are within the inner plastic packaging. I adjudge this as a moderate criticism only from these perspectives: A) I am not aware of any other MOTUC accessories that were intentionally free within the packaging like this (as in: there isn't any sculpted part meant to seat it)? Not the end of the world, just inconsistent, at worst? B)To a MOC collector, I imagine this might be annoying, regardless of whether it is consistent with the line otherwise?
    • Reversed left forearm: As packaged, her left forearm was backward on its bicep swivel. The wing was rotated on the wrist as you'd expect (facing out), but for a MOC display, this would make it look like her arm was assembled backward, back of the elbow facing forward. Indeed, I feared that I had a case of some misassembly before I opened her. Thankfully, once loose, I was able to just swivel her arm back into proper alignment, and do the same for the wing. So, purely an in-package criticism. For me, inconsequential because I was able to remedy it once she was loose. For a MOC collector, this might have been much worse news?
    • Fleshtone on shoulders: As others have pointed out before, the painted fleshtone of her shoulders is saliently off from her arms. This just looks a little weird. I'm used to painted colors not quite matching plastic-cast colors, and I afford for a degree of difference in this toy line and others, but Hawke's case here is pretty bad, imo. Not anything that ruins the figure, just something that can't be unseen, even from in the package, heh.
    • Plastic housing loose from card: Doesn't bother me any, as I rip open packages, but I suppose if I was a MOC collector, I'd be peeved to find that the upper right part of the clear plastic housing was loose from -- not glued down to -- the card. Like to the point that I could reach in and wiggle my finger within the plastic part without distressing anything otherwise. Again, means nothing to me, but worth pointing out?

In-Package Praise
    • Very consistent look: To my eyes, the packaging looks very consistent with the rest of the MOTUC/CC line. Details like the lightning down the sides, font choice, size, etc -- all seem to line up. I could be a little off compared to a discerning MOC collector, but putting a MOC Mattel figure alongside a MOC CC figure from Super7, I see nothing to complain about, consistency wise. So, well done there, Super7! The only break from the past that's obvious to me is the card back, but here I turn to my additional personal positives...
    • Bios return!: Yes! Well-written, fun to read, and cool new lore. Thank you, Super7, for bringing this back to the card backs. Bigger and better than before, as well!
    • Character art! YES! I really like the bigger, better character art included on the back of the cards now. My highest praise for this move!

Now, that might have seemed out-of-balance negative. For a MOC collecter, I suppose it might be. But I play with, pose my figures. So, let's turn to that! Like before, I'd like to get some constructive criticisms out of the way first.

In-Hand Criticism
    • Head too low on neck: There's been much talk of this, so I won't dwell here. Yes, her head looks weird, perhaps too big at first, disproportionate. Sadly, I find it rather striking, in fact. However, again as others have said before, I find that getting her head to sit a notch higher on her neck largely solves the problem. To me, her head then looks proportionate, her chin not so close to her chest, etc. So, this can be easily remedied, in my book. Not a huge deal?
    • Noticeably short: I'm in the camp of those who dislike her shorter proportion. Even with her head raised on its peg a notch, Hawke is noticeably shorter than previous MOTUC ladies. At more than just the head. At the shoulders, even. To my eyes, it is rather obvious. Not a deal-breaker, but definitely a criticism I have to make. Or rather, a question I must ask: Why was she made shorter, like proportionally shorter? Was it an oversight, or on purpose? I guess my mind would be at rest if I knew either way. And, yes, I get that there were some anomalies along the way under Mattel (example: Glimmer), but overall, the ladies were all essentially the same size before, right?
    • Large copyright info on thigh: There's a rather large and obvious block of copyright, etc text sculpted down the inner-back of her left thigh. Not a deal-breaker, but it is rather unsightly to my eyes. I'm not aware of any prior MOTUC figures that did it this way? Not a deal-breaker, as you can't see it from the front, and I don't display my figures facing backward. But, worth pointing out nonetheless?
    • Left ankle joint stuck: It was stuck in a can't stand, pointed-down position. I had to use liberal heat to unstick it. Not too awful, but worth noting?

In-Hand ... Remark
    • Ratcheted joints: I could take it or leave it, but the ratcheted joints return. I first observed these on the Power-Con 2017 figures. I can see reasons to like this change, reasons to dislike this change. So, there's that.

In-Hand Praise
    • Plastic: No complaints, and in fact, I like it. Vastly improved over the Power-Con set, imho. Parts of her armor/clothing feel rubbery, but they are form-fit and fixed in place, so, not a problem. No problems getting her to hold her accessories (as against the fiasco I experienced with the Power-Con set previously).
    • Articulation! Overall, I am really happy with the revised articulation aspects.
      • Hinged wrists: Is this proof that she was originally meant for the Club Grayskull line, or can we expect all females to have the hinged wrists in CC going forward? In any case, I'm not going to complain about this welcome addition to Hawke's articulation. Well done!
      • Upper torso twist: In principle, I have nothing but applause for this change to the female bucks/sculpts. So much better than the waist twist (which was much more ruinous to the female figures' silhouette, imo). In practice, it looks great, and turns/twists just fine. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a ball joint in there, and thereby allow actual rock back and forth in addition to the side-to-side twist, as it wiggles back and forth, but doesn't stay; it always returns to center, as such. In any case, this change is overall a serious win, in my book. Thank you, Super7! You have my enduring applause for this move. I hope it keeps with future female figures, where possible.
      • Smaller elbow, knee pegs: I personally love this change. It breaks up the mold much less than the old, larger pegs. This is particularly a plus on the more slender, female figures, imo, and Hawke is a perfect example, if you ask me. Some have claimed this feels fragile, but I don't observe that at all. With those ratchets in there now, these new joints feel crisp and good to me. Win!
      • Ankle swivel, hidden pegs: The foot articulation is a vast improvement over certain prior MOTUC figures, imo. I'm very happy to see she has the same, hidden-pin and in-foot swivel design at the ankle as I first observed with the Power-Con 2017 set. Works and looks much better than functionally similar articulation we'd seen before, such as with BG Evil-Lyn (whose extra articulated points cut into the design), and far superior -- looks-wise? -- to what I've seen in the CG figures, as well? For the win, Super7!
      • Peg-holes in bottom of feet: I'm pleased to see them return, for they were lacking in the Power-Con 2017 set.
    • Sculpt: Overall, I'm a big fan of the sculpt of this figure, and what seems to be revised sculpting patterns for the females going forward? As seen on Hawke, yes, she's simple and rather CG-ish, at first glance. That's not what I mean. I mean the way the pelvis and hips are done (vs. the oft-maligned designs Mattel used, as such). As blends with new articulation (see above), the way certain things are hidden and yet improved... better/extra articulation without breaking up the sculpt. As for details... where Hawke has them, she has them. The lines up her sternum area, the detail in the wings, her helmet/head-dress, her hair, and her accessories are all quite pleasingly Classics-like. I admit I was very skeptical about the look of Hawke in photos, as such. But closely examining her, and in total, I am fine with accepting her as a Classics-style figure, sculpt-wise (she's on, par, detail-wise, with say, Shokoti, who also had a rather simplistic base design to start from). No qualms. Moreover, I really, really like Hawke's ankle, hip and bust-swivel executions, sculpt-wise. Super7 gets my highest praise here!
    • Paint: Very clean. Yes, a bit simplistic by what I take to be Classics-standard, but apart from that, very good. Where there's paint, my Hawke is very crisp, very good overall. My one knock on the paint is what I mentioned before about the shoulders not matching the arms, which is a color-match thing, and one I'm willing to overlook (despite how it cannot be unseen, ha) given the rest.

Edit: Hip/Thigh Pegs -- I must have lucked out, as Hawke's hips seem just fine. They are in keeping with the silhouette of the pelvis, don't look to be stuck out in any, and generally, are just fine to my eyes.

TL;DR / Overall:

I'm very happy with Hawke. I have my criticisms, yes, but the positives I observe about this figure, in-hand, far outweigh the negatives.

In terms of how sculpt and articulation intersect each other, I hope she is representative of how they're going to do female figures in the future (regarding the torso-twist, her pelvis/thigh sculpt and articulation).

As for the negatives, I feel with some explanation, I can be put to rest about some (height difference), whereas with others (head/neck), I hope/believe Super7 can improve upon them by wave 2, should they choose to do so. Others are just trivial packaging foibles.

As for her simplistic sculpt and paint. I mean, for a figure based on her Filmation-look, I can't fault this execution much. There isn't much to Classicize about her, sculpt-wise, given her source material/design. Paint-wise? I have some qualms, sure. But the figure gets so much else right, I'm willing to overlook that, personally.

For a figure I was fully prepared to send off to eBay, just out of disinterest in the character, Super7's overall execution of Hawke ultimately won me over.

8/10

*applause for Super7*

Edit: FWIW, I understand the remarks and perspectives of those who are unhappy with Hawke, to an extent. Partially, I agree with other critiques out there, but don't find them as problematic. Partially, I think they got worse draws from the hip-peg lottery, etc? Trust me, I would have been the first to damn Hawke and/or Super7 for Hawke if I felt they deserved it. As I get to in detail above, as I observe, I see no cause whatsoever to damn either. Rather, I applaud the overall execution, while point out what I think are some valid criticisms of varying substance and seriousness.
    Last edited by The Timeless One; February 28, 2018 at 01:45am.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor