Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar

Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

I grew up watching and loving the Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon. The same goes for the Filmation She-Ra: Princess of Power cartoon. I still love it, but my heart for Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power always remained with the toys first and foremost. To me, the incredible detail in those figures and corresponding art (Earl Norem, William George, etc...) made the property so stunning. It's why I love the Four Horsemen's treatment of Masters of the Universe Classics starting back in 2008. Improved versions for the modern day. A dream line that still continues (albeit in less production). Filmation rights were acquired, as they should have, and some of the great missing cartoon aspects were introduced in MOTUC.

However, as we hit today, I'm starting to get Filmation fatigue. Half of the Four Horsemen Masters of the Universe releases are Club Filmation. It seems the planned vintage 5.75" style are mostly Filmation versions. It's getting boring to me.

Don't get me wrong, I get that Club Filmation sells better apparently (at least for now as the bigger named variants are out there). These are heavy hitters never made in this style before. Many folks want them. But I can't get around that Filmation style is a more bland, boring, muted, repetitive, and childish Masters of the Universe to me. And now it's seemingly invaded the toy side which never really happened before. I don't feel the need for all this Filmation overload, and it's dulling my enthusiasm. I'd rather see unreleased characters or new MOTUC (like the amazing Fangor). I'd rather see new characters in the vintage 5.75" style.

No. We've never had Filmation characters or versions of He-man, Skeletor, The Horde.

I was quite frankly getting burnt out the last few years of Classics with straight vintage rehashes.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I used to but then I drank a glass of milk and I'm okay now.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I used to but then I drank a glass of milk and I'm okay now.
    Ya, Lou Scheimer 100-proof is pretty strong stuff.

I do agree with you. For the 5.75 line, I much prefer new characters instead of Filmation versions of figures we already have. I am okay with their inclusion, since that seems to be what most collectors want. This will bring new life into an old line. I just hope we get a good mix of both Filmation and new characters. For the Classics lines, I just wish they would keep CC and CG separate. I would prefer if they stopped including CG styled figures in CC.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

I will say that the Classics versions of the characters have become my favorite incarnations of them. I was die hard Filmation, but now I consider the Classics versions to be the default.

I definitely am becoming less and less in favor of Filmation, especially since Super 7 is kind of botching them. Not really excited about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I will say that the Classics versions of the characters have become my favorite incarnations of them. I was die hard Filmation, but now I consider the Classics versions to be the default.

I definitely am becoming less and less in favor of Filmation, especially since Super 7 is kind of botching them. Not really excited about the future.
    They are mostly botching the females. So maybe only the sorceress will be a hot mess.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Bring on more Filmation! At this point I am pretty much done with the regular line. We’ve had every possible figure coming out and I personally don’t need any C-list obscure character like cook Allen or some rando guy who appeared on one mini comic page. Filmation is what I could never have as a kid and I will continue buying it as long as they make more figures. Can’t wait for Filmation Adam, Adora and She-ra!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I actually love the Filmation figures because those are the characters I watched as a kid while I was collecting the vintage figures. I think they are a great addition to the MOTU toy line. I will say this though...they are overpriced. The Filmation figures shouldn't be priced the same as the classics. There's obviously a difference in tooling and the cost should reflect that. They are very plain and simple just as the cartoon featured them. That's my only gripe and it should be the gripe of everyone else.

Heroic Warrior
    No for me.

Apart from the scattering of Filmation figures in the Mattel released Classics and the recent CG, I feel that Filmation has been under represented over the years. There are so many incarnations of MOTU at the moment and none of them, with the exception PCS, are Filmation.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, especially when six out of eight figures per wave are Filmation.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

YES

I need some 200X and i will be happy. I love Filmation too, but I love 200X way more.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    nope, there hasn't been enough Filmation figs made for fatigue to set in.

Well, I didn't order the He-man/Skeletor wave when they were available. Money was tight, but I should have ordered them --seeing what the aftermarket prices are for those figures are now, heh.

Without those, there's little reason for me to get pumped up and order any of these.

Also, I never bothered to order figures like Batros, Shakotti, Masque, Lizard Man, Etc. I mean they were on Walmart.com on clearance, but I just couldn't bring myself to pick any of them up. I did pick up Plundar, but I kind of felt like it was a waste of $17 or whatever. He just never really got me super excited for some reason.

Not really fatigued, so much as I have just accepted that it's not going to happen with these. I took more of an interest in the 12 inch figures. I like them a lot. They are very unique as far as MOTU figures go.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

I think the area that has me "fatigued" is when I saw (and continue to see) the Filmation style figures being planned in the 5.5" scale. I just don't think those figures look particularly good (and certainly not $20 good!). I'd prefer the 5.5" line to steer more towards characters we never got in the '80s... He-Ro, Eldor, entirely new characters, etc. I don't mind Filmation in Club Grayskull and I'm fine if that line continues on... but I'd prefer not to keep getting Filmation jammed into other areas, like the neo-classic 5.5" stuff. It's like "Oh cool. Here's Man-At-Arms. Again. But an inch or so shorter and with way less articulation or accessories." Or, as others have said, into Collector's Choice. You want to give me Filmation-created characters like Icer, Fang Man, etc as a 6" figure and I'm cool with that. If you keep cranking out Hawk/Deloras and Dylamugs and Granitas that initially have popped out of the cartoon but don't actually match up with the Classic aesthetic (and only have added detail after customer outcry requests it), that's going to lose my business.

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
    yes

i need some 200x and i will be happy. I love filmation too, but i love 200x way more.
    thiiiiiiiissssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm enjoying the FILMation fun!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I don't feel the need for all this Filmation overload, and it's dulling my enthusiasm. I'd rather see unreleased characters or new MOTUC (like the amazing Fangor). I'd rather see new characters in the vintage 5.75" style.

I didn't order Collector's Choice Wave 1 as I was only interested in Hawke. Wave 2 Collector's Choice I ordered the full set plus multiple extras except for Wrap Trap who I have no interest in and plan to trade or sell him. Without plenty of Filmation I'd have no interest at all in Collector's Choice. While Filmation appears I'm happy to support Collector's Choice but if they only released them as part of Club Grayskull to make way for a more diverse selection in CC I'd be happy with that too.

Aside from Karg, my only real interest is Filmation characters. I might consider the POP She-Ra and Catra variants too that we are missing to complete the vintage line in Classics. So without Filmation I'd be done with collecting MOTU.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely no filmation fatigue. How ridiculous. Besides they outsell CC

The vintage toy lines and the filmation cartoons are the most recognizable motu properties out there and for thirty years filmation was neglected. No vintage figures. No animated figures in motuc. It wasn’t til 2016 we finally got them. And the line has just barely gotten started. Still plenty of characters to do as figures. I think it’s selfish that after ten years of Classics people are whining about really just one year so far of filmation. Booooo

There’s still a lot to get to

Fisto
    Ram man
    Kobra khan
    Stratos
    Whiplash
    Two bad
    Modulok
    Multi bot
    Spikor
    Webstor
    Adam
    Roboto
    Jitsu
    Buzz off
    Mekaneck
    Mantenna
    Leech
    Grizzzlor
    Shadow weaver
    Catra
    Entrapta
    Catra cat form
    Glimmer
    Perfuma
    Bow
    Angela
    Mermista
    Light hope
    Last edited by degra; March 13, 2018 at 06:00pm.

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

As far as the MOTUC figures go, nope, I'm happy with this line. I only wish that every figure was 100% Filmation accurate since the line started underneath Mattel's watch.

As for the vintage line, I would rather see new characters than Filmation variants. For me, He-Ro and Eldor are definitely the crown jewels in the relaunch so far.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    I try to stay positive about it. But I've really been burnt out on it for years, since nearly all the POP ladies we received were almost entirely Filmation. Notable exceptions being Mermista, NA She-Ra, and Light Hope. The rest felt very much phoned-in to me, and very little effort made with those designs. Nobody really squawked much back then, but now we're reaping the fruits of that with figures like Hawke. People are wondering how such a stripped-down design got into Classics...well, Mattel did it for years!

My favorite figures are ones like Draego-Man and Fang-Or. If I'm shelling out this much money, I want some tooling for my cash. If things start looking too much like I'm paying forty bucks for a Funko POP figure, I'm out. More cash should result in more tooling.

So far, I've been a completist. But I find that I put the Filmation figures into a box and don't look at them much again.
    Last edited by Salamandra; March 13, 2018 at 06:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Besides they outsell CC
    LOL - according to whom? What official bulletin did I miss? Then why did their price increase by 75%?

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Fatigue? Lol. No. In the 5.5” line I would like to see a good balance of filmation and characters we didn’t originally get.

Just preordered wave 2 of CG. Looking forward to more.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    LOL - according to whom? What official bulletin did I miss? Then why did their price increase by 75%?
    Val said it

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely not fatigued, but I would like more variety. To me MOTUC celebrates all eras and representations of the characters, so it should have a solid mix done in the classics style. Then, CG can be straight Filmation. The only "burn out" really is just from Filmation taking up half the CC slots as well I suppose.

It would be near impossible to burn me out on anything MOTU, so long as they get the QC dialed in.