Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Injustice VS. The Master of The Universe comic book discussion

Heroic Warrior
    The Preview of Injustice vs Masters of the Universe #5 is here, provided by Syfy Wire! Skeletor's ingenious manipulations and plans, are finally revealed! What Superman is going to do now? Is he going to join forces with He-Man and Batman and their allies? Also the fight that personally i waited for: Darkseid vs Skeletor powered by Shazam's magic!!!! It's also great to see Tim Seeley remembering that both Skeletor and Evil-Lyn are among the most powerful necromancers in the Universe! This issue wii be available on Wednesday, November 28th.

Link on Syfy.com

Last edited by granamyr80; November 22, 2018 at 03:49pm.

Keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Finally got the first 4 issues. Was excited that this thread had 9 pages, but only around a total of 1 actually reviews the comics. So anyway...

The premise: I had no real idea what this whole Injustice or Injustice 2 stuff was about and ultimately retailers also shied upon ordering, but it was summarized well in one page in #1 and I played along as the story went. Very easy to grasp.

Story: This is another epic storyline, fitting of a DC/MOTU crossover. The stakes are very high. Having Injustice Superman and Darkseid as main villains is mind-blowing.

Script: Tim Seeley is wonderful. The characters are true to form. The universe makes sense. The plot is easy to follow. The Thundercats series being in canon is awesome. Glad that all of the characters were used for epic battle royals. My only nitpicks are that the MOTU characters speak a bit like earthlings (Orko saying "Jeez"), but I let it pass. And I feel like I've read a couple of tropes from previous MOTU stories (DC heroes recruit the Masters for help, Skeletor working his way back up, Grayskull besieged, villain gets ultimate power, a new secret of Grayskull, battle royals, etc.)

Art: In some cases, I am blown away by some of the scenes from Freddie E. Williams II, but other times I am taken back by the ugliness of many faces . I like the action scenes and how he fits so many characters in the background. He-Man's armors are OK, but the various Injustice costume designs (I guess that's Jim Lee/art direction/design is at fault) turn me off. (But that's a problem with modern comics- too many costume changes instead of classic looks.) The coloring is too murky and the shadowing is distracting. An eraser would have been great to clean up the squiggly lines. But that's my tastes, raised on classic comics and art. I love clean lines.

Fun: I really dig this series and recommend it. Buy it, just don't ooh and ahh about the previews or speculate about DLC.

Heroic Warrior
    Something that i forgot to add. Last Monday DC released February's solicitations, and there is not any new MOTU related title. So for now, the next issue, issue #6, that will be released at January 2019 (not December 2018), will be the last of the current mini series, without a new MOTU series replacing it. Tim Seeley hinted in a previous interview that may there be room for a sequel, but remains to be seen.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    Finally got the first 4 issues. Was excited that this thread had 9 pages, but only around a total of 1 actually reviews the comics. So anyway...

Fun: I really dig this series and recommend it. Buy it, just don't ooh and ahh about the previews or speculate about DLC.
    Thanks for the feedback! There are separate Talkback threads for each issue in this forum where you will find more of that nature from other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Something that i forgot to add. Last Monday DC released February's solicitations, and there is not any new MOTU related title. So for now, the next issue, issue #6, that will be released at January 2019 (not December 2018), will be the last of the current mini series, without a new MOTU series replacing it. Tim Seeley hinted in a previous interview that may there be room for a sequel, but remains to be seen.
    Despite Tim’s enthusiasm, I venture to guess if they do decide to do more we won’t hear anything until around SDCC 2019 in July at the earliest and April 2020 or July 2020 at the latest. Or nothing until a movie tie-in. It’s less about making money and more about keeping the brand alive.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    Despite Tim’s enthusiasm, I venture to guess if they do decide to do more we won’t hear anything until around SDCC 2019 in July at the earliest and April 2020 or July 2020 at the latest. Or nothing until a movie tie-in. It’s less about making money and more about keeping the brand alive.
    I guess that depends on DC and Mattel. Tim said that he would love to write MOTU for ever. He has some plans for a future new mini series. The question is if DC and Mattel are willing to continue.

Tim said that he would love to write MOTU for ever. He has some plans for a future new mini series.
    I'd rather have a MOTU mini series show up every once in a while than have nothing at all. Even the occasional 1-shot would be something.
    Odd Man Out

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'd rather have a MOTU mini series show up every once in a while than have nothing at all. Even the occasional 1-shot would be something.
    The thing is, that like we've seen with previous Eternity War and then later mini-series. There needs to be a proper full-year commitment to get MOTU its own comic.

Or if they make mini-series, then a crossover with another brand that can help with the appeal to sell. Thundercats was a great 80s-brands-meet type of thing, and pairing He-Man with Superman (of any incarnation) is propably easier in the house of DC.

One-shot issue is what would work for He-Man as an added bonus on top of a running comic. Going to use previous DC 2012-2016 as an example. Whilst there was monthly comic coming out, we could get Origin one shot issues.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    Surprised I haven't gotten a ping from Silver Moon about this yet (they know what I like!)...

I'll have them put me down for a copy of the inevitable trade paperback.

Hmmm. Forget about a video game crossover or cameo appearance for just a moment; I wonder if Boon and NetherRealm would ever consider procuring the license and just making a straight-up MotU fighting game?

I'd play it.
    YES! There are an over abundance of interesting designs and power sets. Goddess, if only...

God, I hate the insane megalomaniac pretending to be Superman... Has there been any indication that He-Man remembers the other Supermen he's met? I'm just curious.

Attachment 118557
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    God, I hate the insane megalomaniac pretending to be Superman... Has there been any indication that He-Man remembers the other Supermen he's met? I'm just curious.
    Im sure. Its cannon.
    But he is not like the fake weak copy skelator made in that series. This Superman is strong.

I like He-man in the suit he had.
    Last edited by Baba1983; November 28, 2018 at 12:03am.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Has there been any indication that He-Man remembers the other Supermen he's met? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Baba1983 View Post

Im sure. Its cannon.
    Except not this canon.

Those are 2 different canons.

The Thundercats and Injustice crossover series are not set in same canon as "Eternity War".

From 80s version, since Superman met He-Man, both have gotten rebooted and remade 2-4 times so they won't remember that time either.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

In these long-lived, multi-decade, multi-creator franchises, "canon" really isn't a useful frame through which to interpret the world. I've seen one hard reboot for He-Man and one for She-Ra, and a couple other soft and permeable membranes separating for example the Filmation version and the Minicomics version and the NA version, you know? They're kind of meant to be the same character, even though there's some really clear differences once you go poking around a bit. I wasn't sure about the Injustice crossover, but somehow it struck me as cute to imagine He-Man meeting the evil Nazi-esque Regime Superman and going "hey, this guy isn't either of the Supermen I met before!"

But also of course, the post-Flashpoint Superman had a lot of pre-Crisis history implied in his backstory, so excepting the fact that he doesn't remember meeting He-Man in the Bronze Age, there's no reason he couldn't have remembered it, and I think the current mainstream Superman has a lot of those memories in his extremely vague backstory too. Thus, my thing about permeable, mutable histories, rather than the kind of decisive hard break reboot that happened with for example the post-Crisis Superman. Except, that's not true either, that also wasn't a hard reboot.

Ah, I'm getting too into it. The point is, I want He-Man and Bronze Age Superman to team up and beat the heck out of the Injustice Superman.

It’s a fascinating topic to me. They are my two favorite characters. The most powerful man with magic, versus the most powerful man in strength. (Sorta).
    I would love to see such a team up.
    Last edited by Baba1983; November 28, 2018 at 08:49pm.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I've seen one hard reboot for He-Man and one for She-Ra, and a couple other soft and permeable membranes separating for example the Filmation version and the Minicomics version and the NA version, you know?
    Along those lines many fans look at them.

Funny enough, in the Minicomics themselves, there are clearly differing canons. Which is just the nature of the world of Eternia expanding and evolving. First 4 minicomics by Mattel are different from next seven by DC. And then onwards change yet again.

Heroic Warrior
    Issue 5 was great. Spread the word to fellow He-Fans. Get all 6 issues or wait for the trade. But don't miss it. If you missed previous DC stuff, get it or wait for the Omnibus.

I'd like DC to do mini-series or one-shots with no gaps (or maybe 1-2 month gaps). The gap between ThunderCats and Injustice was too long and I was getting worried. I believe the time has passed for DC to do another ongoing like they did with issues 1-19 and then 1-17 with Eternia War. Even if they do stuff like the original 1-8 digital comics, where minor characters are featured, I would be happy.

IMHO the main epic story has been wrapped up since the last issue of Eternia War, although a one-shot showing that future would be fine. If DC wants to do future crossovers with this current canon, fine. However I'd like to explore other characters and different parts of Eternia next time.

Heroic Warrior
    Graphicpolicy provided us an exclusive Preview of the final issue of the Injustice vs Masters of the Universe mini series!!!. So here it is Injustice vs Masters of the Universe #6:

Link:
    https://graphicpolicy.com/2018/12/27...he-universe-6/

The title of this last issue is "The King of Castle Grayskull"!!! Ah the memories from the mini comic!!! Will a powerless Adam help an almost god like powered Injustice Superman, who wields every great power in the Multiverse, to change the history of the Injusice timeline? Are Superman's intentions pure, after all the crimes he commited, to save himself and his world? And what role Shazam's power has to play in all this? Find out the upcoming Wednesday 01/02/2019, in this last chapter of this epic adventure!

So this is it basically

With Mattel ending a strategic partnership with Dc Comics, now we can only hope the next cross over event will be with Marvel or some other known publisher, just imagine Avengers vs Masters! He-Man vs Thor! Man At arms vs Iron Man!!

Its been a good journey indeed, this and the Thundercats mini series are some of my favorites.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    So this is it basically

With Mattel ending a strategic partnership with Dc Comics, now we can only hope the next cross over event will be with Marvel or some other known publisher, just imagine Avengers vs Masters! He-Man vs Thor! Man At arms vs Iron Man!!

Its been a good journey indeed, this and the Thundercats mini series are some of my favorites.
    I find it extremely unlikely that Marvel will deal with MOTU, since Mattel broke with Disney too a couple of years ago. But i can see Mattel working with smaller companies like Dark Horse, Image or Dynamite, in order to pubblish more MOTU comics. Of course this depends, IF Mattel is willing to create more MOTU comics.

But i can see Mattel working with smaller companies like Dark Horse, Image or Dynamite, in order to publish more MOTU comics. Of course this depends, IF Mattel is willing to create more MOTU comics.
    Personally, I'd rather see Dark Horse or Dynamite handling MOTU. Marvel are too uppity and snobby to do crossovers with DC anymore, so they can just stick with all their own characters plus Star Wars.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Personally, I'd rather see Dark Horse or Dynamite handling MOTU. Marvel are too uppity and snobby to do crossovers with DC anymore, so they can just stick with all their own characters plus Star Wars.
    I agree with you. I believe also that Dark Horse or Dynamite, can put more MOTU comics on regular basis.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    So this is it basically

Ouch! Just now read the article on the break-up and DC giving their license to another toy company. Looking back it appears their partnership with Mattel started in 2007. I'm sure Mattel has made separate contracts with DC to have He-Man comics made...but let's be real, if there is any bad blood over this, Mattel is for sure going to another comic company (probably Dark Horse given their past/present partnership). Rob David will still be at the helm behind the scenes as the architect so no problem there. They could be losing out on DC exclusive talent (writers/artists) and marketing arm to increase readership in comparison.

Graphicpolicy provided us an exclusive Preview of the final issue of the Injustice vs Masters of the Universe mini series!!!. So here it is Injustice vs Masters of the Universe #6:

Link:
    https://graphicpolicy.com/2018/12/27...he-universe-6/

https://i0.wp.com/graphicpolicy.com/...g?w=1720&ssl=1

https://i1.wp.com/graphicpolicy.com/...6%2C1024&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/graphicpolicy.com/...6%2C1024&ssl=1

The title of this last issue is "The King of Castle Grayskull"!!! Ah the memories from the mini comic!!! Will a powerless Adam help an almost god like powered Injustice Superman, who wields every great power in the Multiverse, to change the history of the Injusice timeline? Are Superman's intentions pure, after all the crimes he commited, to save himself and his world? And what role Shazam's power has to play in all this? Find out the upcoming Wednesday 01/02/2019, in this last chapter of this epic adventure!
    This series is one of the best ever...
    The only small flaw (nitpicking actually) i see in it is that when the power of grayskull was taken by Darkseid, He Man turned Adam yet Battle Cat does not reverted to Cringer... Pointing it out for future stories cohesiveness.

Anyway, He Man and Superman(albeit the injustice version) and with the Power of Shazam being an end factor, makes me just awe and wow...... love the last panel with Zodac and Metron.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    He-Man usually defeats Superman in their crossovers, and that gives me a warm feeling :-)

I am glad MOTU will be elsewhere now. It's time for a different take.

I believe DC did all they could do. Each story was EPIC and breach boundaries. The entire DC run truly made me happy although I have general problems with modern comics, MOTU included.

So I guess this means we won't get a proper sequel. I was rather looking forward to a "Red Horde" story.
    I am Imp's number one fan.