Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What is Man-at-arms building?

Not a whole lot to report, but did get a little more work done. I completed a couple of molds and tested them out. These are the exhaust port and the menacing teeth of the Attak Trak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

completing this will really appeal to Classics collectors... Can't wait for it to be completed.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I tried matching the color of the original tread. It actually turned out pretty good. I really think if I had to settle on a color, I'd be fine with it. Here are some comparison pictures of the original tread and the new version.

Last edited by manowar; November 13, 2020 at 02:09am.

WOW, that new thread is absolutely AMAZING..! Really seeing it now, for the first time, how much more detailed, and realistic, the sculpted suspension system is..!
    I assume that the rubber band is, in fact, a rubber band, and not part of the sculpt..?

This project looks better and better with every single update..!
    Leech sucks..!

Yes, the ribbed black band is rubber and separate from the tread. I'm still working that out it should be easy, but it's a little bit harder than I assumed it would be. I'll work on it until its perfect

I tried to take the details from the original tread and work them into something that at least looks functional.

Last edited by manowar; November 13, 2020 at 02:19am.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    Yes, the ribbed black band is rubber and separate from the tread. I'm still working that out it should be easy, but it's a little bit harder than I assumed it would be. I'll work on it until its perfect

I tried to take the details from the original tread and work them into something that at least looks functional.

You are making a fantastic work man! I hope to see very soon the finished attack track!
    Follow me and my creations on Facebook:
    search Orsogranito GraniteBear !

I tried matching the color of the original tread. It actually turned out pretty good. I really think if I had to settle on a color, I'd be fine with it. Here are some comparison pictures of the original tread and the new version. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...44a1ca45ac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e609d16018.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...dca122ce20.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...deb8ba9a9d.jpg
    Very cool...

wonderful thread, congratulation

Any news about this great project?

Wow. This is the most ambitious projects I've seen here.
    Check out my Etsy page for items ready to ship.
    Contact BadVermin for all your custom projects and repaints.

I also was wondering if there is an update.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

I am currently working on something that will hopefully make creating this a little bit easier. Once that's done, and if it works out as expected, I'll definitely have more updates

I am currently working on something that will hopefully make creating this a little bit easier. Once that's done, and if it works out as expected, I'll definitely have more updates

One new trick I'm trying is printing out negatives of the molds and filling them with silicon. It has saved me a ton of time and headache.

IMG_1811.jpg

You have to print each item twice, but it makes it easy to make molds and make reproductions of the molds if they tear. Make.

That is awesome news, I kinda have bad thoughts that the project is Unfortunatey abandoned will what all is happening in our lives now.

Nothing was abandoned, just taking longer since the world was put on hold

Another piece of the puzzle. I made this shaker table for helping to eliminate voids and trapped air in the castings. I'll be testing some of the molds soon to see how they turned out

I really hope that works, but I don't think a "shake table" is the right tool for the job. That will make the bubbles rise but it won't remove them.

Ideally you want a paint pressure pot converted to be used for resin. If you are planning on making these in "large" numbers I highly recommend owning at least two tanks, I have both 2.5 and 5 gallon pressure tanks.

A 2.5 pressure tank is less than $100 and it will only take you about 10 min to change the fittings.

California Air Tools sells a large 5-gallon tank already set up for resin casting, it's $250 (if you pick it up at the store). The larger size means you can cast many more items at a time versus the 2.5 gallon.

Put a liner or something in the bottom of the tank to catch spills.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    I really hope that works, but I don't think a "shake table" is the right tool for the job. That will make the bubbles rise but it won't remove them.

Ideally you want a paint pressure pot converted to be used for resin. If you are planning on making these in "large" numbers I highly recommend owning at least two tanks, I have both 2.5 and 5 gallon pressure tanks.

A 2.5 pressure tank is less than $100 and it will only take you about 10 min to change the fittings.

California Air Tools sells a large 5-gallon tank already set up for resin casting, it's $250 (if you pick it up at the store). The larger size means you can cast many more items at a time versus the 2.5 gallon.

Put a liner or something in the bottom of the tank to catch spills.
    Oh, I have that covered I plan to use a 2 tier assault. I noticed some of the larger parts were getting trapped air pockets. I'm going to add additional vents to help alleviate them, but I hope the shaker helps the resin flow into those areas as I pour or use a syringe to inject. Then into a pressure pot to cure. I have a few flexible parts, that, even under pressure still sometimes end up with large bubbles. The mixed resin is pretty thick even before it starts to gel. So I'm hoping the shaker helps with those as well.

Last edited by manowar; July 1, 2021 at 04:06pm.

So....things worked out pretty good. Since this is my first pour for some of the molds, I didn't use some of the pins and I had to guess at the amount of resin, and took some notes. This is the end result.

WOW..!

From what I can see the details look SUPER crisp and clear..! I'd say your method is working as close to perfection as possible..!
    Leech sucks..!

So....things worked out pretty good. Since this is my first pour for some of the molds, I didn't use some of the pins and I had to guess at the amount of resin, and took some notes. This is the end result. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...020566c7a8.jpg

This will be awesome piece for MOTUC.

WOW! I can't wait to see a complete Attack Track! Please go ahead!!!

Did a little bit more testing, there's a few issues that I need to address, but, I think it was successful the color is just a bit too red compared to the original toy. I think I need to add just a little more yellow. I'm also going to do a little bit of research into another resin. The resin I'm testing now takes 16 hours to cure. It's a nice impact resistant resin, but I'm going to test another one that has similar characteristics, but doesn't take as long to cure.

16 HOURS? I use 325 Smooth-On resin. It's designed to be colored and cures in about 15 minutes.

If you are ever in the Mpls area, hit me up. I purchased two 55-gallon barrels of the stuff and will never be able to use it all.

Why would you buy 2 barrels of 325 you have enough to make a full size statue of yourself