Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 139

Thread: New THUNDERCATS show on cartoon network

  1. #101
    Widget
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by ksharpe View Post
    this is the most self serving, morally skewed, political bs i've heard in a while. wow. So the morals in the toon'---Playing by the rules , Do unto others, respecting people, fessing up when you do something wrong, dont steal , ....etc, etc and ETC.... are somehow proclaimed singularly by the left. Wow just Wow.

    Silly me , here i was thinking those messages were for everyone.
    Thank you. As I stated, I believe the messages of He-Man and other franchises of the 80s promote "centrist" messages -- universal messages of good will, compassion and selflessness. As well as important life lessons, like the harm posed by substance abuse.


    I see that you are a new member to the forum so I first want to say welcome.
    Thank you.

    I'm intrigued by your posts as I do believe there is merit in a number of things you've stated
    Thank you.

    but I'm also a little confused and was wondering if you would clarify some things. Your political comments come off as "right winged" (as you put it) but you express a strong desire to one day work on the MOTU property in some way which has always had a fan base that is more "left winged" due to the messages that are promoted through the story in the cartoons and the backstories of the characters.
    I strongly disagree. As already explained, I believe that the messages espoused by the franchise and at its root are fundamentally good. I think stealing is wrong. I think all children should have a chance to learn that. I do not think anyone is entitled to the property or earnings of another, so if you really squinted you could say that kind of message is right leaning. However, if I was to be frank and truthful with you. I am a centrist, and much of my morality is fundamentally built upon the teachings of these shows. My own past is rather grim, I came from an abusive home and had no father. So in many ways the underlying moral teachings (not just the end of episode talks) are largely responsible for shaping who I am and my own values.

    I know you started out by saying you are "a little disillusioned" so I don't know to what extent you're referring? Are you thinking that MOTU is "right winged?"
    I think it is a property for children and it, along with other franchises targeting children, should not be used to explore sexual themes, undermine their fundamental identity as their mind develops or push propaganda upon developing minds. As I believe this is not only irresponsible, but it is dangerous.

    You also mention working in the creative industry for over 16 years where it is well known to be EXTREMELY left leaning. So my curiosity has me wondering how you've managed for so long and wanting to hear more?
    Because it has only been within the last six or seven years that things have become radical and people have been hired and/or fired based on their political views rather than the content or quality of their work. I believe this kind of, almost cult-like, tribalism is damaging a number of prominent properties on a deep level and is ultimately going to be responsible for the destruction of two major industries we are all deeply involved or invested in.

    I personally don't think it has anything to do with politics
    Then you are wrong and it would be wise to listen to people who do know, rather than forming opinion on idealistic perceptions of what might be. I know four individuals who have been exited from their career (two of whom have been working more than 30 years) based purely on having the wrong political ideas; ideas which they have maintained for most of their lives and do not impact the content of their work.

    but instead has more to do with age and viewpoint when discussing this new cartoon. This creator is part of what I call the "Pokemon generation", who grew up in a time where the quality of cartoons was very poor and many lacked a story at all. This created a generation of kids with little to no attention spans and a reliance upon fast paced visual stimulation to keep them interested.
    You are not incorrect, but nor do you understand the scope or political climate of the current industry and how those who do not bandwagon are attacked. Lower attention spans is a severe problem, but the key to overcoming that is not pandering to the 6 second window, but rather employing storytellers capable of telling captivating stories that CAN hold the attention span. If you cannot strike awe or wonder in an audience within that window, then your cause is lost but that is not difficult. Look at the new series of Samurai Jack we released, it did astounding well and stayed true to its roots. There is no excuse for the drop in quality, except for the nepotism and personal/political motives of those clearing these series.

    It's not their fault though, they are simply a product of their time and don't know any better. They are happy with less substance and more flash. So for those of us that grew up in a time that valued more substance to our stories...our time has unfortunately passed now that this generation are the ones producing new media content.
    Yes, you are correct. But there are MANY creators hungry to for chance that have been blacklisted, condemned to youtube, and kept out of the industry. This is a serious problem for the future of this industry. You cannot refuse to produce quality works, then claim there are no successful works or tried and true storytelling methods will not work.

    Noodle Arm Animators are a dime a dozen, they are art ally hacks, but they are art ally hacks with lots of other art ally hack friends. This gives them the illusion of success, which they can sell and cash in upon. Their social media is always very active, lots of support, but never for the quality of their work but rather for more mutual handshaking.

    They determine the weight, quality and substance of another person's opinion based upon their social weigh. And as many artists, skilled artists, are reclusive they do not enjoy having a social media presence. And so, when the networks ask a guy and he doesn't know of someone else, that is typical a risk they won't take. But most of these guys, they don't know anyone outside of their little circle of handshakes. Its gatekeeping of the highest regard.

    Its a problem that only audiences standing up and being vocal is going to solve. If there is not push back (and to a lesser extent, redirection), its just a matter of time before this comes apart. I once heard two lets call them "professionals" criticizing the lack of representation in Loony Tunes cartoons, but when asked to name 10 characters from the franchise, they could not name more than 6. Adding insult to injury, in the complaint filed, they spelled the series Loony Toons. And these are the current so-called "Queens" of the animation industry.

    I will be online again to reply further in a few days, no more than a week. I hope this, albeit cynical, explanation has helped shed a little more light on the current state of things.
    Last edited by Mister E; May 22, 2018 at 05:22am.

  2. #102
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,266
    We may be headed toward some reminders and such if we can’t keep the political discussion out of this, gang. That’s what the Tar Swamp is for.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  3. #103
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    4,113
    I think this thread is quite interesting (and very telling), but not really for reasons most posting here would like. I'm out.
    Last edited by Krueger; May 22, 2018 at 11:04am.

  4. #104
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,092
    Trash. No thanks, I will stick with the original and the reboot from a few years back. Hooooooooooooo!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The ratio of dislikes to likes tho. Yikes.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qi41rHz4ps
    The guy has a samurai boy bun, this is all you have to know about this bloke. Sweet Mother of Mary - LOL!
    Last edited by IceyCat; May 22, 2018 at 03:38pm.

  5. #105
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    brave and bold felt like it WAS done with lots of respect, toward the campiness of the old adam west show. while still treating the characters like they where supposed to act and look. no radical design or personality changes.
    yes, there was more comedy added, but that was because that was how adam west batman did it....

    there is no precedence for that with thundercats. it's just copying current trends.
    Yes, Batman the Brave and the Bold was made with mad respect for the silver-age Batman comics and even the mid-1970's Bat books. The show is so well done that WB has yet to create a new show that can compare to its brilliance. The writing, voice acting, animation, character designs, music, and production value are unmatched. I love this show.



    This new ThunderCats series, however, is not paying any kind of homage to the original toon and, in fact, seems like it is just using the license to gain viewership.

    Time will tell how well it is actually received... but, if it causes any hiccups or delays in the Funko TC line, I'm going to be really upset. I don't care if they want to market collectibles based on this new show, but personally, I prefer my ThunderCats with a pinch of MOTU thrown in (ala Funko's Savage World), NOT as a combination of Wallace and Gromit...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  6. #106
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    6,530
    I'm keeping an open mind but I'm not really impressed tbh.

    The "Thundercats" don't even resemble cats (I know the original versions didn't much either) but these just look plain awful.

    Plus I'm not a fan of these dumbed down cartoons either, Steven Universe and Adventure time - WTH are they even all about anyway? The few times I've come across them I found them unfunny, full of *** messages and they just gave me a headache. On a plus, they are colourful and the art is nice in some places

    ​However I will reserve complete judgment for the new TCats until I see a few episodes. So far I think I'm liking the She-Ra reboot a bit more, but I am prepared to be bitterly disappointed
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

  7. #107
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,685
    A lot of shows try to look like Steven Universe, but Steven Universe's ratings aren't even what they used to be. They have worse ratings now than 2011 Thundercats when it was cancelled.

  8. #108
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    720
    Last I remember the 2011 Thundercats had good rating but was cancelled because of bad toy sales and being on CN didn't help. Because lets face it, CN is a horrible place for action and/or story driven shows.

  9. #109
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,266
    I liked Adventure Time quite a bit, but none of these other shows have ever done anything for me.

    (Just to tag on to one of the tangents created here, I looooved Batman: The Brave and the Bold. In fact, we have the Wii game, and Hermione adores playing it.)

    I won't say I will not give this show a chance. The style is not what I would've chosen, but then, TC is not one of my favorite properties. I think it's pretty nifty, and I bought the whole Mattel line - just to have more figures for my MOTUC to interact with! - but nevertheless, I may give it a watch. I'm sure it won't be my particular cup of tea, but it could be some silly fun. I would certainly be upset if MOTU or Star Wars were taken in this direction, and I am only very cautiously holding out hope for the next iteration of TMNT - another weirdly different, yet likely more respectful variation on a popular property compared to this. (Of course, some will argue that Star Wars has already been robbed from its fans, but I'm not going to argue that point; it's a fruitless venture.

    In the end, the reasons I will likely not end up being a fan of this show are not because it is a vastly different take on the original idea or that it might cater to a sesne of social justice (gasp! Not social justice!), but because it will probably cater to the lowest common denominator with fart/burp/poop jokes and nonsense stupidity.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  10. #110
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Pit of Misery. Dilly dilly.
    Posts
    6,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    In the end, the reasons I will likely not end up being a fan of this show are not because it is a vastly different take on the original idea or that it might cater to a sesne of social justice (gasp! Not social justice!), but because it will probably cater to the lowest common denominator with fart/burp/poop jokes and nonsense stupidity.
    i would like to think social justice, and social justice warriors are two different things and it's best not to confuse the two groups .

    I am not holding out for the new tmnt either. it will be 11 minute segments (god forbid people have long attention spans)....and will also most likely focus on comedy. it's also borrowing from other series. which is never a good sign on originality and respect for the tmnt franchise.

    this will make TWO tmnt series that I just couldn't stomach. the last one was good in it's first season, and fell VASTLY downard in quality form there on out.

  11. #111
    Heroic Warrior Triklops 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eternos
    Posts
    4,254
    Oh come on, this is not directed to the older fans but is for the new generations/millenials (ugh, I know we had the best childhood cartoons). I will not watch it but its cool they're expanding the TC franchise to something new and fresh. Having said that, I'd be more vocal for a proper live action series and new comics, something based on the recent MOTU cross over would be great!
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

  12. #112
    Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    Steven Universe?? maybe... looks kinda like that i think..
    thats what I thought too ah would be nice if it reaches new audience
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

    http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

    Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

  13. #113
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I'm keeping an open mind but I'm not really impressed tbh.

    The "Thundercats" don't even resemble cats (I know the original versions didn't much either) but these just look plain awful.

    Plus I'm not a fan of these dumbed down cartoons either, Steven Universe and Adventure time - WTH are they even all about anyway? The few times I've come across them I found them unfunny, full of *** messages and they just gave me a headache. On a plus, they are colourful and the art is nice in some places

    ​However I will reserve complete judgment for the new TCats until I see a few episodes. So far I think I'm liking the She-Ra reboot a bit more, but I am prepared to be bitterly disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I liked Adventure Time quite a bit, but none of these other shows have ever done anything for me.

    (Just to tag on to one of the tangents created here, I looooved Batman: The Brave and the Bold. In fact, we have the Wii game, and Hermione adores playing it.)

    I won't say I will not give this show a chance. The style is not what I would've chosen, but then, TC is not one of my favorite properties. I think it's pretty nifty, and I bought the whole Mattel line - just to have more figures for my MOTUC to interact with! - but nevertheless, I may give it a watch. I'm sure it won't be my particular cup of tea, but it could be some silly fun. I would certainly be upset if MOTU or Star Wars were taken in this direction, and I am only very cautiously holding out hope for the next iteration of TMNT - another weirdly different, yet likely more respectful variation on a popular property compared to this. (Of course, some will argue that Star Wars has already been robbed from its fans, but I'm not going to argue that point; it's a fruitless venture.

    In the end, the reasons I will likely not end up being a fan of this show are not because it is a vastly different take on the original idea or that it might cater to a sesne of social justice (gasp! Not social justice!), but because it will probably cater to the lowest common denominator with fart/burp/poop jokes and nonsense stupidity.
    What about Regular Show? that's a fun satrical show in the tradition of Rocko's Modern Life with 80s and 90s pop culture references only adults who grew up in those eras would know about. And how about Rick and Morty which is Adultswim's finest show?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  14. #114
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I'm keeping an open mind but I'm not really impressed tbh.

    The "Thundercats" don't even resemble cats (I know the original versions didn't much either) but these just look plain awful.

    Plus I'm not a fan of these dumbed down cartoons either, Steven Universe and Adventure time - WTH are they even all about anyway? The few times I've come across them I found them unfunny, full of *** messages and they just gave me a headache. On a plus, they are colourful and the art is nice in some places

    ​However I will reserve complete judgment for the new TCats until I see a few episodes. So far I think I'm liking the She-Ra reboot a bit more, but I am prepared to be bitterly disappointed
    I had an open mind for the g.i. joe movie. After I seen it i closed my mind right away.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    Oh come on, this is not directed to the older fans but is for the new generations/millenials (ugh, I know we had the best childhood cartoons). I will not watch it but its cool they're expanding the TC franchise to something new and fresh. Having said that, I'd be more vocal for a proper live action series and new comics, something based on the recent MOTU cross over would be great!
    Think the biggest problem is the talentless art.

  15. #115
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,266
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What about Regular Show? that's a fun satrical show in the tradition of Rocko's Modern Life with 80s and 90s pop culture references only adults who grew up in those eras would know about. And how about Rick and Morty which is Adultswim's finest show?
    Okay, you got me, because I had totally forgotten how much I like Rick and Morty. (Regular Show is/was kinda fun, too, but I never really watched it much.) We only have Netflix at the house, so I practically never see most shows, but R&M caught my attention last fall, and my buddy Mr. Boat and I watch it when we hang out together (which is rare, even though he lives 30 seconds away).

    And bless you for mentioning RML.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  16. #116
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,676
    The first two episodes were silently dumped to the Cartoon Network site this week.

  17. #117
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,176
    Sooooooooo, yeah.... ThunderCats Roar... huh
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  18. #118
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    352
    Well that killed my childhood .

  19. #119
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    4,113
    Can't find them anywhere.

  20. #120
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,622
    A commercial on Cartoon Network this morning says it starts airing in February.
    It looks like total garbage, but I also recognize I'm not the audience it's aimed for.
    I'm just happy MOTU isn't suffering this particular fate animation-wise, LOL!

  21. #121
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,470
    It's trash and the animation is horrible.
    But sadly this type of animation and cartoon is popular....hopefully it can lead to a more serious cartoon with quality animation.
    As much as I dislike the cartoon at least it's doing somehting to try and keep interest in the franchise and bring in new fans.

  22. #122
    Heroic Warrior
    chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    8,360
    That's really horrible looking. The animation is just…sigh. I know I'm not the target audience but wow they're really dumbing down cartoons now…
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  23. #123
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    That's really horrible looking. The animation is just…sigh. I know I'm not the target audience but wow they're really dumbing down cartoons now…
    The worst part of this is the fact that it's supposed to be a parody of the original show (complete with the same music and titles) that pays homage to the source... but, instead it just drags the work of the original artists, writers and animators right through the mud.

    It can't decide whether it wants to be Ren & Stimpy, Spongebob Squarepants, or Teen Titans GO!... which is unfortunate, because for many children watching Cartoon Network, this is their first exposure to ThunderCats.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  24. #124
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,022
    It honestly looks like they took their visual style from Kablam!, but without the charm Henry, June, and Mr. Foot had.

    The "Meet the Cats" promo didn't really tell us much about the characters. And if the 2011 reboot had trouble finding a toy line, I don't see this one managing too at all.

    If I see it, I'll give it a shot, because anything is possible, but this just seem like Cartoon Network missed their shot.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  25. #125
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,622
    I feel like they missed the mark going for this Garfield-eyes style of animation not just on this property, but with the crappy reboot of Ben10 and one of the more recent Scooby Doo series as well. "There's a lot to unpack here" as the kids say these days with what they've shown us of the new ThunderCats, but I think mostly I'm offended by the style of animation that- as someone above already noted- seems to be a "dumbing down" oversimplification style of art that just really isn't up my alley at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •