Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bow in MOTUC discussion

Black Bow in MOTUC discussion

Who's with me???

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Who's with me???
    Let's get the Masters of Diversity Classics sub-line rolling with a wish-list:

Black Bow
    Asian Evil-Lyn
    Italian Skeletor
    White-washed Jitsu

....no?

I am prefering caucasian Netossa, Afro She-Ra and for sure Purple Kowl

Works for me. He's still the Bow in this new cartoon, which is a new take.

And on that note, let's be careful here, everyone. If this thread smells even remotely of racism, it's getting shut down by the mods. We don't put up with that ******** here.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I'll wait and see how Bow is depicted on netflix before giving this a "yeah" or "nay."
    But if he is a strong character with good development and traits -- and the show is as good as i hope it will be -- then heck yeah!

I’m gonna be That Guy and say I want Dakon, Garn and Rana first.
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Who's with me???
    I don't know if Super 7 will incorporate the new PoP series' designs into Classics, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a 6" version of this new Bow. I think his design is clever and would make for a good-looking figure. I'd like to see the improved wrist articulation for better posing options than we had with the original Bow figure.

And, as an aside, I'd rather see new animated series Bow get a figure ahead of Catra- only because I'm still waiting (and have waited for ten years now, ha ha!) for a 6" version of the Classic Toy Catra

I don't like the designs of the characters at all. They look like little kids in a cosplay contest, and omg why is glimmer so heavy looking? ThankfullI don't get Netflix so I don't have to watch this at all. I think this cartoons artists renderings are ruining beloved characters we grew up with from the Filmation cartoon and the MOTUC's toyline.

Happy for those looking forward to it but this is not my cup of tea.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Nothing wrong with mixing it up. I really liked the Zodak in 200X.
    That's a very good point. There was some fan push back at first on Zodak, but then he became a fan favorite.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's a very good point. There was some fan push back at first on Zodak, but then he became a fan favorite.
    Even I admit when the reboot came along in 2002 I was a little like "What now?!", but it had less to do with race and more to do with the fact that they "de-spaced" my favorite guy and took the "Cosmic" out of his "Enforcer", ha ha! But when they ended up making him such a major force to be reckoned with, and had him go up against King Hiss and the Snakemen, and later strong enough to go up against He-Man himself, I applauded the fact that they finally gave Zodak a purpose in the MOTU world, instead of just not knowing what to really do with him (as evidenced by the card backs switching him to an Evil Cosmic Enforcer rather randomly!).

So while I prefer my Zodac/k a little more spacey, I think overall changing his skin color in 200X actually resulted in a very badass-looking action figure and NECA bust!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Nothing wrong with mixing it up. I really liked the Zodak in 200X.
    Zodac was such a non-factor during the Vintage line that I don't think that people didn't care that he would be changed as much. Not like say, changing Fisto.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Zodac was such a non-factor during the Vintage line that I don't think that people didn't care that he would be changed as much. Not like say, changing Fisto.
    That still has no bearing on if fans end up loving this new Bow or not. Most either will, or they won't.

Like I said in the other thread, so long as they don't have Bow running around making fart jokes they can make him any color they want! My biggest fear with this new She-Ra wasn't that they were going to make this one heavier or that one a different race, it was that it was going to feature the sort of toilet humor and doo-doo gags that seem to permeate a lot of animated series these days!
    If Bow steps in Kowl's mess on his way to the Fright Zone, I'm out!

Heroic Warrior

Black Bow in MOTUC discussion

Where are the new designs?

Edit: googled them and found them

I am really excited for this show! Bow looks awesome and I like that everyone seems a bit younger. I’m a huge Archie comics fan too and I have zero problems with the casting in Riverdale. What matters more is that the personalities are there. Diversity is a good thing people.
    Last edited by yeahthatsme1973; July 16, 2018 at 10:59pm.

I'd be in for a black Bow. Toss an extra head with a mustache in as a nod to the old school stache and most people would probably get behind it.
    Don't look now but Beast Man is judging your life choices.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I wonder what Bow would have looked like if they had given him some sort of goatee. Might have been cool.

As I have said in other threads, the re-imagined characters from the new She-ra show look very young to me. And I'm not a big fan of the anime-style either...

Apart from that I like the ethnicity change for Bow. More diversity is a good thing. By the way, I wish we also had LGBT characters in MOTU/ POP.

Do we know if a new POP toy line is planned to match the new show?
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle, Sharella
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I’m gonna be That Guy and say I want Dakon, Garn and Rana first.
    ^^^^^
    This
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

No to "Black" Bow...I am too attached to the ginger "Errol Flynn" archetype.

I'll take ANY character resigned to fit in classics... I just want more figures to buy
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Yup, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    The point, for me, it's not the race or skin color of the characters, but the drastic change to well established characters. Let's see: I liked Zodak a lot, he quicly became one of my favorites, but on its own merits (he was badass and strong enough to match He-Man evenly), but that's a special case because the original Zodac was rarely seen, we never saw his face without a helmet... and at the end Classics canon established they were 2 separate characters.

On the other hand, why change Bow? No problem with a main character being Afro, Latino, Indian, Caucasian, Asian, etc. The problem is the unnecessary drastic change. For example, I wouldn't like a Caucasian Clamp-Champ nor a read head Jitsu or a brunette Catra (which we are getting as well, also adding "mutant" aspects). Well, that's my very personal opinion, I like characters just as they are.
    Last edited by man-at-work; July 17, 2018 at 10:53am.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Seeing as how Bow's skin pigmentation had no affect on how his character has been portrayed in past stories, I'm all for it. There's nothing essential in his character or powers to him looking caucasian. And seeing as how caucasian features are over-represented in our media, I'm good with this.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

I'm not a fan of gender swapping or race swapping a previously established character. It's just lazy. If diversity is such a big concern, then they can easily create new characters for people to fall in love with instead of changing the look of an older one. In Zodak's case, it was easy, because his name was spelled differently, so he wasn't THE Zodac, from the original MOTU. Zodak was one of my favorite characters in the 200x cartoon, but in no way did I associate him with the original character.

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I'm not a fan of gender swapping or race swapping a previously established character. It's just lazy. If diversity is such a big concern, then they can easily create new characters for people to fall in love with instead of changing the look of an older one.
    Exactly. They could have given a more prominent role to Netossa, or said "the old Bow has retired and gave his weapons to his younger black cousin" or something like that. I don't like when they alter existing characters (like the whole "Duncan and Fisto are brothers" thing).

Now shut up and give us an Italian Skeletor already! xD
    Last edited by Kobra Khan; July 18, 2018 at 05:22am.
    Pasta la vista, baby!

NA in MOTUC, 10 more to go! Artilla, Butthead, Hoove, Kayo, Lizorr, Nocturna, Sagitar, Spinwit, Staghorn, Vizar.