Thread: Seeking Help - Removing 200x Figure Torso

Widget

Seeking Help - Removing 200x Figure Torso

Hi there - has anyone tried removing or swapping the torso (upper body, including arms / hands) of a 200x figure before? what would be the best way to do so?

i tried heating and boiling it but it just wont split. Each time i try to remove the torso from the waist, the figure breaks at the waist joint. is there a way to remove it compassionately so he Man doesn't get broken?

thanks!

I've tried this various ways but it has always ended up with me breaking the waist off and prying the figure open from there. Most 200X figures have spring-loaded waist features that require the body to be firmly glued together. I've had limited success by hammering a mini screwdriver up through the crotch seam (ouch!) and splitting the waist, then working my way up into the torso from there. But they have white waist plugs that usually have to be cut so you can just break them in half anyway. Repairing the waist afterwards is usually my method.
    "If my father were alive, I could make him proud!"

Jin Saotome's Dangerous Toys!

Widget
    Thanks so much Master Jedi Jin. Someday i'll finally outbid everyone to own a piece of your wonderful art.

Can you share some guidance on a good way to repair the waist after? I've been using thick ABS rods with epoxy but it doesn't allow for any movement, although the seams at the waist is nicely flushed with the torso. thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by cocomon View Post
    Thanks so much Master Jedi Jin. Someday i'll finally outbid everyone to own a piece of your wonderful art.

Can you share some guidance on a good way to repair the waist after? I've been using thick ABS rods with epoxy but it doesn't allow for any movement, although the seams at the waist is nicely flushed with the torso. thanks buddy
    I'd be interested to know how to repair the waist as well. My Beast Man snapped in half when I was a kid and he's being held together with super glue at the moment.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

I was able to split a 200x He-Man and a 200X Skeletor to make a custom Keldor 20 years ago. Boiling water and lots of patience going back and forth to weaken the glue allowed me to split the figure. There was some minor damage to the torsos that I repaired with sculpy after the fact. Start at the neck and work your way out and down. The more you open things up, the faster it goes, but be patient.

Good luck!
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotFool View Post
    I was able to split a 200x He-Man and a 200X Skeletor to make a custom Keldor 20 years ago. Boiling water and lots of patience going back and forth to weaken the glue allowed me to split the figure. There was some minor damage to the torsos that I repaired with sculpy after the fact. Start at the neck and work your way out and down. The more you open things up, the faster it goes, but be patient.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice! I may try this with Beast Man. He's already snapped in half, so I'm okay with experimenting, haha. I might get his torso open and glue in a washer and screws to keep his waist rotation. Unfortunately can't find anything like sculpy in the big art stores in the country I'm in right now (or I could wait and just fix him when I get home, lol).
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Afterlife07 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I may try this with Beast Man. He's already snapped in half, so I'm okay with experimenting, haha. I might get his torso open and glue in a washer and screws to keep his waist rotation. Unfortunately can't find anything like sculpy in the big art stores in the country I'm in right now (or I could wait and just fix him when I get home, lol).
    Well, I pulled out my old customs and either itís separated over time, or I didnít close the seam as much as I thought I did. Still, itís possible to separate the chest, as you can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!