Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is MOTUís Window Closing?

Is MOTUís Window Closing?

I think Mattelís greatest chance to revive Masters of the Universe is with the children of the original fans. We would likely influence our children to be fans, due to our interest and love of Masters of the Universe.

Many of us that grew up on MOTU are now middle aged. Many of us have children and those children are quickly growing. I have a daughter that will soon be 12. She is already getting a teen mentality. Itís already too late to make her a fan. I have a son that will soon be nine.

So if Mattel were to make a fan, of MOTU, of my son, something has to happen quickly. If the movie and a new toy line doesnít happen in the next two to three years, it will be too late for him as well.

To me, if they donít make fans of our children, any future attempts will be total chance. I would think that the odds of reviving Masters of the Universe would be greatly increased with our children.

And yes, I know that we arenít all in the same boat. Some of us are a little younger, may not be married or even have children yet. But I would be willing to bet that a majority of fans, or former childhood fans, are all around middle age now.

Thatís also not to say that some of us havenít made fans of our children. Iíve given a few of my loose 200x figures to my son and he occasionally watches the cartoons, but itís not the same as it being all the rage with his peers, as it was with us.

Yes, my kids, are 31, 30, 27, and my baby is 22.

My Grandkids are 10, 5, 3, and 2 months, so for them it's not too late, but my 10 year old Granddaughter is already out of She-Ra. (I got her lot's of She-Ra classics, and watched the cartoon with her)

My son is eight and he has loved MOTU since he was about four or five. I cannot remember exactly, but I started him young. I do remember he got his first Transformer at two (Rescue Bots) and He-Man came a bit later. My daughter is five and she is completely in love with He-Man AND She-Ra. My kids have so many toys that we have to rotate them out by interest now and whenever the subject of putting He-Man away for a few weeks (so something else can come up) my daughter has a total melt down.

We do not watch a lot of TV, but they have seen some of the original MOTU and POP series and some of the 200X. Both kids seem to prefer the originals. We have a ton of the 200X line for them to play with because it is really not safe to allow children to play with the vintage toys (they break down over time). I recently gave my son my Matty Collector Grayskull to play with. I am grateful that we have the originals and 200X line, but it would be nice to have something new.

I have to say though that I am leery of anything new thanks to what current reboots look like (Thundercats UGH and of course the new She-Ra). I wish people from the 'Old Guard' were in charge of the reboots or had some say. I understand wanting to reboot something to appeal to a new generation, but I think some of these reboots appear to be pretty misguided. My children are completely horrified by the Thundercats reboot and have zero interest in the She-Ra one based on the art alone.

Mattel wasted a MOTU revival years ago. 200X spoiled it at retail and they focused instead on online exclusive sales, which now got handed off to an incompetent outlet making breakable toys and more broken promises because Mattel no longer saw any profit in the brand. That new She-Ra looks awful, either she's flat to appease a certain crowd, or a child hero to mimic anime, but it looks lazy and careless. Michael Bay doing the movie would only serve to keep me away, I hate every movie that loudmouth ego has ever made.

They killed Monster High by running out of ideas, softening the brand and rebooting it into a thing the fans hated and the new intended audience didn't care for.

DC has mostly dried up, they've done most of the characters, even the minor ones and really only have movie tie-in stuff with the DC movies not doing the greatest anymore.

Hot Wheels will endure but they're cheap toys that don't suffer any sales dip.

I guess Barbie stays strong enough, shame they sabotaged MH to keep Barbie going.

In the end if they do ever fall, I'd rather they just die and fade. I'd prefer it if they dn't end up a Hasbro brand, because every one of their brands would be killed off silently or changed into pure garbage as has happened with many companies Hasbro absorbed.

I feel like Mattel is running on fumes right now... they are coasting along with their big one-two-punch, i.e. Barbie and Hot Wheels, but are struggling with lines that should be selling like hotcakes... DC Universe for example.

Let's face it, MOTUC was aimed squarely at fans of the original toys/cartoons/mini-comics... and boy, did they ever zero in on that nostalgia button! The line has survived since 2008 purely because old-school fans refuse to let it die (and secondary market sellers buy a lot of the more desirable figures), although, with MOTUC "under new management", I feel it's closer now than ever to being finished. (Prices keep going up, while quality, availability, and customer service continues to drop.)

I would be willing to bet that there will NEVER be another line of MOTU figures as extensive as Classics ever. Period. Why? Because there just won't be the fanbase for it. Once we all start fading away, the next generations of fans will become thinner and thinner. Even if there is new media to promote it, a line like MOTUC is a tall mountain to aspire to beat.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

My son shows interest in Masters of the Universe. But there is nothing to fuel his fire. If a movie would finally come out, and a cartoon would follow, along with a new toy line, I know he would be all about MOTU.

At this point, I’m beginning to wonder if MOTU is a one hit wonder. Because as of right now, it’s still running on 80s gas, with us original fans. With maybe some exceptions, it’s not younger generations carrying the torch.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and Transformers now seem to be generational toys. It seems that they have established the ability to make come backs for new generations. Even G.I. Joe has a couple of movies. But the most popular property of the 80s has yet to do this. And if it doesn’t happen soon, it may never happen. Masters of the Universe could end up being a toy line of the past.

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    I wish that I actually had children to introduce the IP to. As it is, I'm just working with some of my twenty/thirtysomething friends, who are seeing vintage and new merch peppering the shelves at our favorite comic shop, who missed the original toyline and the TV shows in their original airings, loaning out DVDs and books alike, trading ideas, art, and headcanons. The interest is there, it's just a matter of connecting with the right people. And not a one of them have a problem with Trollans.

Life is good, I guess?
    • HARMONY IS THE KEY LOVE IS THE LAW
    • Who weeps for Trolla? I DO.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

My six-year-old daughter adores MOTU and PoP. We play with the MOTUC stuff often, and when I told her that Snake Mountain is coming, she literally squealed with delight. She uses the property as an avatar for her imagination; much of the time, she makes up her own adventures, stories, and personal takes on different characters. That said, she knows the inns and outs of the mythology quite well, and she has been overheard at school preaching the gospel of it. I know several young children who continue to harbor a love for the property from their days in my pre-K classroom. Still, the few converts I have managed to gather are not going to be enough to carry the franchise further into the future.

By the way, I am moving this to the forum for new media as it does not really belong and the other forum.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    She-Ra Netflix in November. MOTU movie in December 2019 (if it sticks). MOTU 40th anniversary in 2022 (whatever they decide to do for it).

There is so much more competition for kids (and adults) eyes and time these days plus deep in the digital world which we didn’t have mainstream in the past. Trends have changed even if Mattel bats it out of the park and does everything right with future releases. Just may never be the same as some have pointed out.

I have faith in Rob David in his newer station as Head of Development and Global Content of Boys and Girls at Mattel given his past writing track record but only he can do so much to work against other uncontrollable market forces.

Let me start off by saying there is no such a thing as a "window" anymore or it is not as important as it used to be. There may have been an ideal time to reboot the series but that was years ago. When Transformers, TMNT, and GI Joe all got remade is when He-Man should have also been rebooted. It should have been with that group of movies between 2005 and 2011. One of the reasons I feel we never got our movie was because smack right in the middle of that time frame was the global financial crisis and the great recession. Hollywood was in no position to take a risk on a movie like MOTU so they shelved the project until later. Now Hollywood is finally getting serious about making the movie but we are in this weird post ideal time frame where it is harder to justify on nostalgia alone. To get the movie made now it will have to be justified on its own merits, however this could be a good thing in the long run. It guarantees we won't just get a TMNT or GI Joe crapfest slapped together for nostalgia's sake. The movie will have to be genuinely good and if done right will make a ton of money.

Like I said there really is no such thing as "window" anymore. The window concept only applies to quick cash grab nostalgia movies that are usually pretty terrible. MOTU deserves a real movie and I think eventually we will get it.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Like I said there really is no such thing as "window" anymore. The window concept only applies to quick cash grab nostalgia movies that are usually pretty terrible. MOTU deserves a real movie and I think eventually we will get it.
    You mean, MOTU deserves another real movie.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Unfortunately the lack of decision (and interest) of Sony and the passive attitude of Mattel are seriously damaging the brand.

These lost ten years could be crucial for the future of the brand,MOTU is losing a gold time.You see Thor movies ,Guardians or the Aquaman trailer and think MOTU movie could easily create those fantastic images and atract the masses.
    Even shazam will get a movie ,a kid who shout a thing and become into a powerful man ,too many winks the fate is giving

Luckily there's a new She-Ra series and that will help to the brand .(I hope He-Man is part of the plan)
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 22, 2018 at 06:26pm.

Widget
    Here's hoping He-Man and Skeletor cameo in an episode or so of the new She-Ra.

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    They could reboot this. My son is seeing these characters and getting super hyped about many of them (lately, it's scare glow, grizzlor, wrap trap, and hordak, but skeletor is also a consistent fave), to the point that I'm making him a binder full of "model sheets" so he has references for drawing. I think a lot of kids aged 4-9 could be really into this.

But they'd have to invest and be willing to do as TMNT has done -- keep it going. Not every iteration will be to everyone's liking, but it's going to take doing something *like* what folks have done with TMNT to reboot this. Push the toys, push the movies, push the cartoons, keep pushing. Re-invigorate / reboot every five to seven years if needed. Learn from past mistakes. MotU started as a revolutionary brand, then became reactionary. The NA relaunch changed the vibe too much - As a 7 year old, I didn't recognize it as the He-man I loved from age 2-6. The 2002 launch suffered from time slot problems (I could rarely catch an episode) and a mismanaged toyline (it was difficult to find anything in stores except he-man and skeletor variants).

...not holding my breath, though. Mattel is a fairly conservative toy company and have been playing it safe for a long time, and getting their butts kicked in the licensing and marketing game. Hasbro is just killing it, comparatively.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

The window has already closed for 2,200 Mattel employees. It’s very sad news but not surprising when we consider the company’s mismanagement. I’m optimistic the new CEO can turn Mattel around. He has stated he wants to concentrate on Mattel’s core ips.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    The window has already closed for 2,200 Mattel employees. It’s very sad news but not surprising when we consider the company’s mismanagement. I’m optimistic the new CEO can turn Mattel around. He has stated he wants to concentrate on Mattel’s core ips.
    Yep! Polly Pocket is back!!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, at SDCC Mattel said they will launch a new toy line (in stores, not online) for the new She-Ra show on Netflix, as well as put out a "collectors" line based on the old show from the 80es. They also hinted at the possibility of doing more vintage-inspired MOTU toys in the same interview. Although I am not sure how that would work with the deal they have with S7. I guess we'll see.

https://youtu.be/eRZzimC7tKU

Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    Well, at SDCC Mattel said they will launch a new toy line (in stores, not online) for the new She-Ra show on Netflix, as well as put out a "collectors" line based on the old show from the 80es. They also hinted at the possibility of doing more vintage-inspired MOTU toys in the same interview. Although I am not sure how that would work with the deal they have with S7. I guess we'll see.

https://youtu.be/eRZzimC7tKU
    If I am not mistaken, and I could be, I believe S7 said at the time of acquisition of Classics that they had to handle the PoP line separately...
    Perhaps we know why now.
    I know Target has their retro toy lines, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, and games.
    Perhaps Mattel will rerelease vintage figures as the "collector" lines, or it will be the 1/6 dolls...

Edit:
    MOTU proper may be the "live action"
    PoP will be animated.
    If both do well in their perspective format, it would not surprise me that each gets a shot at the other media.
    I do believe She-Ra Dreamworks will set the platform for a MOTU series.
    I mean, I don't think it was just an "exercise" that one of the animators did a She-Ra & He-Man style sketch...
    Last edited by Stratos*Major; July 27, 2018 at 10:05am.

Best figure for kids

My 4 year old is in MOTU big time right now form me playing DVDís for him. What do yíall think is the best figure for him to play with? As mentioned above vintage break down overtime, are classics and Filmation a little more durable ? I am buying him a combination of vintage, classics and some Filmation.

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipNSC7 View Post
    My 4 year old is in MOTU big time right now form me playing DVDís for him. What do yíall think is the best figure for him to play with? As mentioned above vintage break down overtime, are classics and Filmation a little more durable ? I am buying him a combination of vintage, classics and some Filmation.
    My vintage (1980s) figures are holding up better than my 2000s figures. 2002 Castle grayskull is more durable than 1980s grayskull. Muscle figures have worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting thread, that brings up a lot of great points. I'm not sure why MOTU hasn't really caught on with a modern audience. The '80's figures were obviously iconic & classic, but the original line (from roughly 1982 - 1987) seems to be the last time the MOTU franchise was truly successful.

I liked the 200X line, but for reasons that have already been gone over, that line did not do well & didn't last that long.

I never collected the online-only MOTUC line, due to being more of collector of toys found in stores. Though I have definitely bought some toys online (typically SW toys I can't find in stores), I never liked the idea of exclusively collecting an entire line by buying the toys online-only. Hence, I never got into these.

As far as the window closing re: getting kids interested (or re-interested) in the franchise, I feel that ship has already sailed. It seems obvious that most of the MOTU fans out there these days are adults (like me) who were kids when the original Vintage MOTU line was out in the '80's. I don't have children myself, but do understand that some kids are into the toys these days, probably due to being introduced to the toys by their parents - i.e., adult fans like the ones on this board. However, how much are kids really into MOTU these days?! I suspect not that much.

What can be done to change things here?! Because, obviously, if the franchise is to continue successfully - something has to breathe "new life" into MOTU. The most obvious answer is a decent new movie, which is already in the planning stages - and, IIRC, should be coming out in late 2019. If a new film comes out, is true to the original franchise while still being "fresh", I feel it can appeal to old & new fans alike. And, maybe a new toyline can come out of this.

They definitely need to take a different approach than what was seen in the '87 film. Though I didn't think that was too bad, I didn't like that the characters looked so much different than the figures/animated show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    Interesting. I'm not a huge She-ra fan, but I'm glad to hear that the toys will return because of the new Netflix series - and that, in connection to this, more vintage-inspired MOTU toys may come out. Hopefully the MOTU toys will be in stores (not online-only) as well.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; July 27, 2018 at 09:45pm.

Is MOTUís Window Closing?

Iím not saying this to be provocative or incendiary, but I think the window has closed, and itís been slammed shut again and again by the fandom. If something doesnít fit exactly what certain subsets if the fandom want, they shout it down in the meanest of ways. Just look at the reaction to the new She-Ra. These people canít just say ďnot for me, but I hope it catches on!Ē Or ďI donít have children so I donít get it, but Iím excited to see MOTU/POP alive!Ē No, they have to be as mean and nasty as possible, in an active and sustained manner. So why would anyone even bother investing the effort and expense? I would love nothing more than to be wrong, but I sincerely think the future of MOTU is expensive boutique toys for over-40s with disposable income.
    Last edited by hadley; July 28, 2018 at 09:38am.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    My 9 yr old daughter got pretty excited about those She-Ra/Monster High mashups and wants all 4 pictured (She-Ra, Catra, Evil-Lyn & Teela). Unfortunately they're coming out too late to pique the interest of my 12 yr old daughter. And that's if they're even coming out.

None of my daughters are interested in the new She-Ra cartoon or the old. They have always viewed the entire "He-Man property" as "Daddy's thing". I have been able to convert them to Voltron with the new show on Netflix and to Star Wars will all the recent movies and cartoons so it's very likely we'll all watch the new Princesses of Power show together (although I'm not at all impressed with the visuals thus far).

Masks, tees, and novelty items are fun and indicate some support of a license but at the end of the day, I view all as disposable and don't hold my interest like action figures do.

I am hopeful that Mattel and Mega Brand will continue to give us more Mega Construx mini figures and hopefully playsets, vehicles, etc. for MOTU and POP. I''ll buy them all.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I’m not saying this to be provocative or incendiary, but I think the window has closed, and it’s been slammed shut again and again by the fandom. If something doesn’t fit exactly what certain subsets if the fandom want, they shout it down in the meanest of ways. Just look at the reaction to the new She-Ra. These people can’t just say “not for me, but I hope it catches on!” Or “I don’t have children so I don’t get it, but I’m excited to see MOTU/POP alive!” No, they have to be as mean and nasty as possible, in an active and sustained manner. So why would anyone even bother investing the effort and expense? I would love nothing more than to be wrong, but I sincerely think the future of MOTU is expensive boutique toys for over-40s with disposable income.
    I respectfully disagree with this statement. The people attacking She-Ra on different social media sites are not MOTU / PoP fans. They are reactionaries in a larger cultural war between SJW's (Social Justice Warriors / 3rd wave feminism) and more conservative elements in society. The sustained nastiness is a spillover of what happened after GamerGate. Even since GamerGate these reactionaries have been invading other Fandoms to continue to push their agenda. Affected Fandoms include Ghostbusters, Wonder Woman, Star Wars, Kim Possible, and now She-Ra /PoP. A property like PoP was bound to attract the ire of the GamerGate crowd most of whom are in their 20s or 30s. These people are not PoP fans through, She-Ra was before their time. They are only using She-Ra to continue the GamerGate narrative that SJWs are ruining popular culture.

There were some legitimate fan complaints about the Teela Battle suit concept art a while back. I don't think the rejection of the battle suit harmed the franchise though. Proof that the current batch of She-Ra haters are not MOTU / PoP fans is than none of them even knew about the battle suit. If they were fans they would know about the battle suit debate that happened earlier in the year.

@inthe80s so glad u put that link becaise I was all, WTH, is gamergate...
    God, I am getting old.