Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is MOTUís Window Closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Netflix She-Ra is AMAZING and deserves to be a huge success.
    I respectfully disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

At this point, it doesn't seem like the producers have any connection to He-Man's world... they are distinctly separate as of now.
    The way I see it this a good thing. Nobody around here is going to want to see a fat Teela or any other politically correct redesign. SHE-RA may be going through a revival but it is more of a mockery than anything. The best case scenario is some of the newer She-ra fans pull up the original series and learn about He-Man that way. Most young people under 16 know that He-Man "exists" from the internet memes and such but they don't know much about him. Some point down the road after Netflix She-Ra runs its course there will be a lot of new demand for He-Man.

I've kind of stopped caring about a new He-Man movie or show, because all indications are that it would be a virtually unrecognizable butchery of the property given recent trends. The only potential silver lining to a successful mainstream reboot would be additional media and products aimed at the true, loyal, hardcore fans, kind of like what happened with those terrible Transformers movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I've kind of stopped caring about a new He-Man movie or show, because all indications are that it would be a virtually unrecognizable butchery of the property given recent trends.
    Agree totally.

I don't want to get into a whole "Agenda / PC / SJW / Diversity" thing, but I think any reboot would be so drastically different that it just as well be a completely new franchise. It would be like a 1950s Rock-N-Roll Purist trying to enjoy the music of Daft Punk or Ghost.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 13, 2018 at 02:38am.
    Odd Man Out

I disagree, any reboot for MOTU and POP could only be a positive thing and add richness and diversity to the mythos, and thanks for not rehashing the completely annoying "agenda/SJW" rubbish applied to a wonderful series that promotes diversity as a positive phenomenon. There should be more shows like this that seek to break down barriers of discrimination and be inclusive of all kinds of people.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I don't think it's possible that MOTU will ever be AS big as we remember it being in the '80s, but it's certainly not doing so bad here in 2018. Think about it- we haven't had an animated series since 2002/2003, the last live action movie was in 1987... and yet look at all the various collectibles and merch that is currently available. We keep getting comic book series, various companies have the license to do action figures, vinyl figures, 12" figures that look like pieces of art, some rather quite expensive statues, poster subscriptions, the series of Dark Horse art books, there's a Snake Mountain on the way specifically for a line that is now 10 years old. And Power-Con is still a thing.
    Like what they've done with it or not, that ol' spin-off series called PoP is now taking center stage via Netflix/Dreamworks and so all those characters in that particular pocket of MOTU-dom are getting new life.
    I don't think we're ever going to get an entire section of Target dedicated to new MOTU product the way we would see a "He-Man section" at Child World or TRU back in the '80s, but overall the brand doesn't seem to be doing too shabby at the moment.
    It's certainly not all death knells like it felt like when the NECA "staction" line dried up before the Faker/Kobra Khan two-pack was pulled at the last minute. And I remember when Mattel showed off prototypes for Sorceress, Clamp Champ, and sketches of She-Ra at that "oh what could have been" Toy Fair or whatever event that was. Now THAT felt like MOTU's window had entirely closed... and here we are now over a decade later and most of our wallets can't keep up with collecting every single MOTU product produced today.
    Last edited by zodak74; December 13, 2018 at 10:20am.

Heroic Warrior
    All good points, zodak74. Several observations:

I know what you mean about it being a while since MOTU was in the public eye, prior to the last several years. As you said, the last time was really when the 2002/2003 line was out. I was a fan & did collect what I could find of these. Unfortunately, this line never caught on & they were typically quite tough to track down @ retail; I never even saw the Evil Lyn/Snake-men Wave at the tail end of the line. When the later Stacion line came out, I considered collecting them - but, since I didn't like the more fragile statue-aspect of these, passed on them.

I am a big fan of the recent Dark Horse MOTU collections of the Art/character/mini-comic books, after years of 0 new material being released. Great that this is happening, and the quality of these books is unsurpassed. Fantastic material & a great presentation, especially of the previously released comics (mini comics & newspaper comics). Being a fan of the MOTU franchise since the '80's - these very nostalgic books (that mainly focus on the classic '80's material) are much appreciated.

That being said, I am disappointed that the MOTU Classics action figure line isn't cheaper. These are somewhat more than I can afford, which is why I'm not collecting them. However, I completely understand the reasoning for the higher cost (i.e., online only & a niche property); and, I'm very happy that the line is around & that people are enjoying these. And, these figures/vehicles look great - even if they are out of my price range - LOL.

My hope is that the forthcoming MOTU film does huge business @ the box office, and that this results in MOTU becoming at least slightly more mainstream. I would definitely be onboard with a new line of quality figures (hopefully sold @ retail) that would be based on the '80's characters, but at least slightly less expensive than the MOTU Classics.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; December 13, 2018 at 11:41pm.

It's kind of a weird situation.

Yes, there are tons and tons of MOTU products out there, but it is still a very niche line that appeals mostly to only hardcore fans. It's not like TARGET and WALMART are full of MOTU merchandise. It's kind of ironic. There may be even more merchandise to buy than there was in the 80s, yet the bulk of it is pretty expensive, it's not kid-collector friendly, and the general public has no idea that it exists.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 14, 2018 at 12:34am.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    It's kind of a weird situation.

Yes, there are tons and tons of MOTU products out there, but it is still a very niche line that appeals mostly to only hardcore fans. It's not like TARGET and WALMART are full of MOTU merchandise. It's kind of ironic. There may even be more merchandise to buy than there was in the 80s, yet the bulk of it is pretty expensive, it's not kid-collector friendly, and the general public has no idea that it exists.
    Absolutely correct. Other than some of the FUNKO MOTU figures which I've seen @ some of the Big Box stores (and which I don't collect), there isn't a lot of product on store shelves. It's mainly online-only.

I miss the '80's. Here's an interesting article about the heyday of TRU; what's especially interesting are the large section of MOTU toys (towards the top of the page):

https://www.retrojunk.com/article/sh...tage-toys-r-us

I found those same two pictures of MOTU toys many years ago and I saved them to look at every now and then. They're the best pictures out there of the way a MOTU display should always look. I so wish they'd bring them back to the stores.

Heroic Warrior
    I think there are definitely factors to consider.

If you ARE targeting kids whose parents watched MOTU, youíre targeting the kids of people who got into MOTU late and/or people who had kids in their 30s, which id demographically DIFFERENT than people who had kids in their 20s.

I donít know how much this thinking is useful for the core premise but it probably does factor into values, maybe?

In some ways, I think the Mike Young series DID cater to the kinds of people who would have kids younger. More assertive, action-oriented, a bit more macho. Battle Cat and Orko and Sorceress especially were hardened up, de-glammed.

Maybe a contemporary revival would go the other way. Target people who know MOTU from memes or who liked vintage Orko and Battlecat. Maybe a bit more Bowie, more of that old synth music score style.

Doesnít mean less action but maybe a bit less brutal and more funny.

If you look at the DuckTales revival and such, I think youíd do well to cast a lot of comedians even if the show has a lot serious going on. Iíve said before: Will Friedle as Adam, Joel McHale as He-Man, James Urbaniak (Doc Venture) as Skeletor, Chris Parnell as Man-at-Arms, Aziz Ansari as Orko.

Frankly, I think the Mr. Rogers and Bob Ross revivals do kinda suggest that you want that Mr. Rogers Filmation He-Man. Warm, steady presence.

In general, Iím not sure what worked or didnít work about the She-Ra revival applies. There is a tendency to age down female protags to desexualize them. Whereas I feel like young men are something the culture is a bit more tired of given the various stereotypes of young men. Male protags have aged up both in response to some people tired of adolescent masculinity and older male actors like RDJ having resurgences. Even the less mature types like Chris Prattís Starlord started out mid-30s and Ant-Man is pushing 50.

You can, within the current climate and not bucking trends (which is always possible), make Adam a little kid (which I think risks Shazam comparison) or go the other route and make him 25-35.

I might honestly look at the CW live action for an ensemble template. A bunch of friends, in on the secret, providing tech support. Make He-Man more of a group effort. That plus soapy plots lets you manage the action budget easier.

Heck, I think the ďnormal kidsĒ cartoons and ďsitting around talking about stuffĒ you see is about managing budget. Doesnít mean no action but better that the action be good and sparse than shoe-horned in and poorly animated.

COBRA, your posts always fascinate the hell out of me. You really bring a lot of perspective to this.

This topic is so fascinating to me that I've even been looking up potential plastic substitutes, and even different ways of making plastic. Apparently, it can also be made from soy beans. Who knew??
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 19, 2018 at 06:52pm.
    Odd Man Out