Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Collector's Choice done?

Heroic Warrior
    As per the latest Q&A:

5. WalkerBoh: It has been theorized that the William Stout collection is the last attempt to keep the Collector's Choice line alive. If this pre-order wave does not meet your sales goals, will Collector's Choice continue?

While the Collector's Choice line has certainly run a long time and covered the majority of characters in the MOTU Universe, the William Stout collection was more an effort to create figures of some of the most often requested characters in a way that works for everyone. Our follow up to this wave is the Collector's Choice Snake Mountain playset. Beyond that, who knows?!

Not a fan of the 'Beyond that, who knows?!' part...hopefully they're just playing coy and have another wave planned after that.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Heroic Master of Typos davidlogan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    As per the latest Q&A:

5. WalkerBoh: It has been theorized that the William Stout collection is the last attempt to keep the Collector's Choice line alive. If this pre-order wave does not meet your sales goals, will Collector's Choice continue?

While the Collector's Choice line has certainly run a long time and covered the majority of characters in the MOTU Universe, the William Stout collection was more an effort to create figures of some of the most often requested characters in a way that works for everyone. Our follow up to this wave is the Collector's Choice Snake Mountain playset. Beyond that, who knows?!

Not a fan of the 'Beyond that, who knows?!' part...hopefully they're just playing coy and have another wave planned after that.
    I wouldn't bet on it. I thought they were being coy about NA a few Q&A's back and look at it now.
    "..."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it. I thought they were being coy about NA a few Q&A's back and look at it now.
    Yeah...I suppose at this stage in the game having Snake Mountain as the final MOTUC piece would be a good way to wrap it all up.

Eh! Who am I kidding?? I don't want it to end!!!!!!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Heroic Warrior
    My speculation - for that's all it is - is that Snake Mountain has taken so much effort that the Classics figures have been put on hold. I reckon the Stout figures were selected and arranged long ago. I don't think it's over yet, but we need some better character selection - such as these and these - to invigorate the line and inspire buyers.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure too much should be read into the "Who knows?" comment. All of the recent interviews with Mondo and with Super7 make it pretty clear that these smaller licensees are holding out waiting for what Mattel does with the movie. They could decide to pull the license. They could not. Really it seems as if these companies don't know what the future holds.

So, neither a death knell for the line or "we're going to keep going." At least not yet.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    It's great Super7 is making Snake Mountain and I understand it takes a lot of resources. However, for me, since I am not getting Snake Mountain but am a fan of the Classics figures, it would be nice to get some reassurance that the line will continue after the movie wave. I guess we may need to wait until SDCC to get our answer.

After the current info, I think it’s safe to say that it’s not looking good. Hopefully Mattel will take it back and continue the line with better quality figures that don’t break straight out of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    After the current info, I think it’s safe to say that it’s not looking good. Hopefully Mattel will take it back and continue the line with better quality figures that don’t break straight out of the package.
    hear, hear! fragile collectables from a small business might be what some people are looking for but i've always preferred my motu in hunky, chunky, sturdy toy form!

Should I assume that with release of the new Mattel figures, Collector's Choice is over?
    If so, it is a complete waste, those figures aren't an update or replace the Classics.
    I hope Super7 maintains the license.

While I certainly hope they continue them, they certainly have had an amazing run. Sure, there are still characters folks want, but honestly we're getting to the bottom of the bucket in terms of who's left. Again I still hope it keeps going as there are still some characters I'd like to see but I'd also feel pretty good with what we all have even if they aren't. I mean finishing with Snake Mountain and movie characters is a pretty good end cap.

Plus we still have the powercon exclusives coming, so there are still some new figures on the horizon.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I think it would be pretty cool if Mattel went back to making MOTU Classics and Super 7 did TMNT, Conan, Toxie and Thundercats etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I think it would be pretty cool if Mattel went back to making MOTU Classics and Super 7 did TMNT, Conan, Toxie and Thundercats etc.
    Mattel isn't interested in the adult collector and we no longer have our champions there, that is very unlikely.

MOTUC will never feel complete to me without the remaining NAs!

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    MOTUC will never feel complete to me without the remaining NAs!
    Spoken for God's honest TRUTH!!

I don't care who does it or how, but I want to finish the New Adventures lineup in MOTUC! It is a huge, glaring hole in the line!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Sadly I foresee Masters of the Universe Classics winding down with Super 7.

Heroic Warrior
    Again Brian said they're not done with MotU. He said SM is taking most of their attention right now.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Again Brian said they're not done with MotU. He said SM is taking most of their attention right now.
    I didn't say done...just winding down. That's two different things.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I suppose that Brian can say that if they produce any MOTU item, like those glasses that have years being offered, also T/shirts, MOTUSCLE, Reaction, etc... But Classics, I think it's done (I hope to be wrong)
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

I do think Classics (especially CC, which is all I really care about) May be in its last hurrah/throes.

I’m okay with this, though I’d love a few releases to squeak out over the next few years (and anticipate such with Power-Con and such), but I’d have loved to get a few key characters were still missing (Skeleteen, The Great Black Wizard, etc).

Now, if this is what happens, my biggest question is whether I’d want to throw my lot in with this new Origins Collection or stick with S7 and venture into the TMNT Classics. SDCC will be very interesting!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I sincerely hope Classics -- as in CC as we have it now, as in Classics proper *-- is not done or close to done. I hope it is not winding down, despite somewhat circumstantial evidence that it may be.

I have less than zero interest in any 5.5, any Origin collection, any Filmation-style, or any of the rest of the noise to what I consider the signal: Classics. I am interested in, and will continue to pay (vote with my wallet) for -- and only for -- Classics proper. With eager and enduring enthusiasm.

Sure, we're running on fumes from the perspective of mainline characters from various well-known canons of MOTU. But in my opinion, the way forward for Classics is both deeper dives into the canons, deeper dives into the concept figures never produced, as well as ... totally new character designs.

I will throw whatever manner of money at Classics in hopes that it will continue, as such.

Classics forever!

*well, CC apart from those figures which frustratingly veer into CG territory in execution. I swat those away with a vengeance; they don't even come out of their box before they're sent to the circular file sight unseen.
    Last edited by The Timeless One; June 13, 2019 at 12:56am.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

uggh, depressing. I don't want Classics to end for a variety of reasons, chief among them that I cling to the teeny shred of hope they could make my trusty Bubblor figure one day! So I want to keep it going forever somehow.

Buuuut, this Mattel announcement sounds like a death knell... i can't imagine them making figures and letting Super 7 ALSO make them. (Even though it would be smarter to do that, since, the more the merrier, really). Hasbro recently killed off their deal with the GI Joe Collector Club on the off chance theyd maybe make some more stuff before the new GI Joe movie that seems like it'll never happen. I can see Mattel doing the same.

In some ways its a relief since I don't have a lot of space left for either MOTUC (or the GI Joe classics from the Club they did that wrapped up earlier this year), but in other ways its super depressing.

I would not be inclined to buy a whole new line, either... but would pick up a couple here or there (Mer Man , especially) if somehow it didn't kill off Classics!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Jim View Post
    uggh, depressing. I don't want Classics to end for a variety of reasons, chief among them that I cling to the teeny shred of hope they could make my trusty Bubblor figure one day! So I want to keep it going forever somehow.

Buuuut, this Mattel announcement sounds like a death knell... i can't imagine them making figures and letting Super 7 ALSO make them. (Even though it would be smarter to do that, since, the more the merrier, really). Hasbro recently killed off their deal with the GI Joe Collector Club on the off chance theyd maybe make some more stuff before the new GI Joe movie that seems like it'll never happen. I can see Mattel doing the same.

In some ways its a relief since I don't have a lot of space left for either MOTUC (or the GI Joe classics from the Club they did that wrapped up earlier this year), but in other ways its super depressing.

I would not be inclined to buy a whole new line, either... but would pick up a couple here or there (Mer Man , especially) if somehow it didn't kill off Classics!

Oh, plus, I am actually going to Power Con this year, where I'd hoped to talk with Super 7 folks about ol' Bubblor But now, probably a moot point. (I was at SDCC the day after Bubblor was a runner-up in the CAC contest back in 2012, so I was able to talk with the 4 Horsemen about him then. That was fun! Ah, memories...)

Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    I sincerely hope Classics -- as in CC as we have it now, as in Classics proper *-- is not done or close to done. I hope it is not winding down, despite somewhat circumstantial evidence that it may be.

I have less than zero interest in any 5.5, any Origin collection, any Filmation-style, or any of the rest of the noise to what I consider the signal: Classics. I am interested in, and will continue to pay (vote with my wallet) for -- and only for -- Classics proper. With eager and enduring enthusiasm.

Sure, we're running on fumes from the perspective of mainline characters from various well-known canons of MOTU. But in my opinion, the way forward for Classics is both deeper dives into the canons, deeper dives into the concept figures never produced, as well as ... totally new character designs.

I will throw whatever manner of money at Classics in hopes that it will continue, as such.

Classics forever!

*well, CC apart from those figures which frustratingly veer into CG territory in execution. I swat those away with a vengeance; they don't even come out of their box before they're sent to the circular file sight unseen.
    Agree with this 100 percent

I'll continue to collect Classics for as long as new figures are released. And I really hope the rumored wave of Miro / Hunga / Lady Slither / Skeleteen becomes reality. But at the same time, if the line dies, I'll still be satisfied. What an awesome, deep-diving collection.

Honestly, at the risk of stepping on toes, I'm more excited about Super7 releasing characters outside the property in MOTUC style like they're doing with Conan and the Toxic Avenger. Adding these "compatible" figures to my MOTUC collection really excites me more than any further D- through Z-list MOTU characters, especially if (as rumored) Super7 has the ThunderCats license.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I'll continue to collect Classics for as long as new figures are released. And I really hope the rumored wave of Miro / Hunga / Lady Slither / Skeleteen becomes reality. But at the same time, if the line dies, I'll still be satisfied. What an awesome, deep-diving collection.

Honestly, at the risk of stepping on toes, I'm more excited about Super7 releasing characters outside the property in MOTUC style like they're doing with Conan and the Toxic Avenger. Adding these "compatible" figures to my MOTUC collection really excites me more than any further D- through Z-list MOTU characters, especially if (as rumored) Super7 has the ThunderCats license.

But why not both? I am really, really holding out hope that Miro/Hunga/Slither/Son-of-Skeletor find their way into a wave. But there are still SO many great figure opportunities in classics that I wish it could go on an on. Even if it was done as a character by character kickstarter-style campaign I'd pledge and pledge for almost everything. The idea that part-swap repaints with new heads like Great Black Wizard and Red Shadow won't get done hurts my feelings.

That said, I am also super eager for anything else offered in the Classics Aesthetic. Conan and Toxic Crusader were instant buys for me. I'm assuming the upcoming Turtles will also be right up my alley (I'm skipping the Voltron because it doesn't make sense to me at this scale - the pilots for the cats would have to be a millimeter tall or something).

But if Super 7 has the rights - and the desire - to resume Thundercats Classics, that will become a top priority for me. Heck, I'd even rebuy Lion-O and Panthro from Super 7 to make sure I got the rest of the team. I really, really hope that's a real thing that Super 7 wants to do. I will be terribly disappointed if S7 gets Thundercats and does only Reaction, Muscles and T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    But why not both?
    Don't get me wrong. If Classics continues and Super7 continues to produce other properties with the MOTUC aesthetic, I will gladly buy both. That would be the ideal scenario.

But, if asked which of the two I'm more excited about, at this point I'd have to say "other properties," especially if ThunderCats is in the mix. I'd rather have Cheetara on my shelf than Lady Slither. But I'll gladly take them both.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!