Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can 'they' really spy on us...and if so, why isn't anything being done about it?

Master of New Adventures!

Can 'they' really spy on us...and if so, why isn't anything being done about it?

So every once is a while one of these articles comes up that says 'they' can spy on us through our iPhones and computers. Okay, sounds like a Lifetime movie to me. Yeah, I know. A blinking red light on my camera is a red flag. But you gotta think if 'they' can do this they're more sophisticated than that. Heck, the Nanny Cam hidden in a Teddy bear on the fireplace mantle doesn't have a blinking light when it's on. Oh, wait...that's from a Lifetime movie. (If you think there's a theme here and that I like cheesy Lifetime movies, then you're right. )

But nowadays, who knows? Maybe some of you do. What I do know is that I wouldn't be a fan of anyone watching everything I do. But I guess the genie's out of the bottle and there's not much we can do about it.

Even worse, I can't help but have the feeling that there's someone sitting in a garage in Bakersfield who has all the data on every website we've ever surfed to. And I've got a hunch none of us are good with that.

Am I overreacting or is it finally 1984? I guess if everyone in this thread ends up with a .22 in the back of their neck then we've got our answer. Or if this thread never gets posted then I'll know our Other forum mods dedset13 and uki are on 'their' payroll. Just joking... Well, half-joking.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 21, 2019 at 08:43pm.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    There are 300 plus million Americans, so if someone is able to listen in, it's unlikely you'd be one of the unlucky ones. Search history and all that stuff is probably stored somewhere. It's alarming and unsettling, but the numbers game probably works in one's favor as long as you're not of interest.
    Last edited by The All American; February 21, 2019 at 08:58pm.

Are "they" listening? Yes. Are they listening to me or you? No. Please, there are people out there doing things to warrant such surveillance. A couple guys blogging about toys aren't really what they are looking for.

Dedset13: Command Code Epsilon Alpha Omega 1138. The jig is up!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    So every once is a while one of these articles comes up that says 'they' can spy on us through our iPhones and computers. Okay, sounds like a Lifetime movie to me. Yeah, I know. A blinking red light on my camera is a red flag. But you gotta think if 'they' can do this they're more sophisticated than that. Heck, the Nanny Cam hidden in a Teddy bear on the fireplace mantle doesn't have a blinking light when it's on. Oh, wait...that's from a Lifetime movie. (If you think there's a theme here and that I like cheesy Lifetime movies, then you're right. )

But nowadays, who knows? Maybe some of you do. What I do know is that I wouldn't be a fan of anyone watching everything I do. But I guess the genie's out of the bottle and there's not much we can do about it.

Even worse, I can't help but have the feeling that there's someone sitting in a garage in Bakersfield who has all the data on every website we've ever surfed to. And I've got a hunch none of us are good with that.

Am I overreacting or is it finally 1984? I guess if everyone in this thread ends up with a .22 in the back of their neck then we've got our answer. Or if this thread never gets posted then I'll know our Other forum mods dedset13 and uki are on 'their' payroll. Just joking... Well, half-joking.
    Yes, but "they" isn't the government, it's actually Facebook, Google, etc. As I understand it, if you have the Facebook app on your phone it actually records your calls and turns them into transcripts (you can access this if you download your facebook data). Creepy.

Heroic Warrior
    That's the fever talking Mr. O.

Just take some medicine and go to bed. You'll be ok. And all of your worries will be gone.

But seriously. It doesn't seem fair or right. "listen" in on the masses to catch one or two that are suspicious.

what gets me a tad riled is when they someone goes off the deep end and afterwards they say well we were following him for years. AND YET YOU DID NOTHING?!?!?!?!

They can and do spy on us. Didn't Snowden tell us that? The problem is no one cares anymore. They willingly allow it to be done. We put everything out there and we do not care who has access to it. People buy these stupid devices to put into their homes that are basically modern day wire taps. I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said: "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Here is one of my favorite memes - LOL:

peoplein-thesixties-better-not-say-that-or-the-governmentwill-wiretap-24983486.png
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Yes, but "they" isn't the government, it's actually Facebook, Google, etc. As I understand it, if you have the Facebook app on your phone it actually records your calls and turns them into transcripts (you can access this if you download your facebook data). Creepy.
    I completely agree. The government doesn't care about what most of us do day to day but big advertising does! Information gets sold everyday. It's just not so much spying as trying to figure out how to get you to buy a new juicer or a home weight system.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    My wife and I noticed a few years ago that ďtheyĒ do indeed ďspyĒ on us. We were talking face to face about something random and within minutes we started seeing ads on various sites on the internet. So, Iím not sure how much the government spies on us, but our iPhone microphone definitely picks up our conversations even when talking face to face. They pick up on keywords and all of a sudden you start seeing ads on Facebook and other sites trying to get you to buy exact objects you previously talked about ONLY in person. Creepy!!

Now, as research/a game we will blurt out random words or items to buy just to see if ads starting showing up online. My guess would be about 75% if the time it works. Yikes!!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the meme!! And so true.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    My wife and I noticed a few years ago that “they” do indeed “spy” on us. We were talking face to face about something random and within minutes we started seeing ads on various sites on the internet. So, I’m not sure how much the government spies on us, but our iPhone microphone definitely picks up our conversations even when talking face to face. They pick up on keywords and all of a sudden you start seeing ads on Facebook and other sites trying to get you to buy exact objects you previously talked about ONLY in person. Creepy!!
    A couple of nights ago I ran into a friend of mine I hadn't seen for quite some time. We stood and talked for nearly 30 minutes. That night when I got home and opened Facebook on my phone the very first thing I saw was a post he'd made a couple of days earlier. I believe while we were talking so were our phones.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

I get that, AA. But part of my point is that if they are storing stuff and someone rises to a position of power or is running for elective office, couldn't that 'surfing information' be used to influence them?

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    There are 300 plus million Americans, so if someone is able to listen in, it's unlikely you'd be one of the unlucky ones. Search history and all that stuff is probably stored somewhere. It's alarming and unsettling, but the numbers game probably works in one's favor as long as you're not of interest.
    - - - Updated - - -

Of course you're right. That wasn't my point. My point is, can they use information on important or soon-to-be-important people to influence them?

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Are "they" listening? Yes. Are they listening to me or you? No. Please, there are people out there doing things to warrant such surveillance. A couple guys blogging about toys aren't really what they are looking for.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

ROFL!!!!! Hilarious...or is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. So can those private corporations influence important people with data those people don't want made public?

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

It's been my experience that sometimes -- and certainly not always or even often, but sometimes -- there's a thin line between paranoia and reality. The day Richard Nixon's White House guards started wearing gold braid epaulets should have been a red flag for America.

Btw, I never take anything stronger than Advil and even that only on rare occasions. As for going to bed, sleep is for wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    That's the fever talking Mr. O.

Just take some medicine and go to bed. You'll be ok. And all of your worries will be gone.

But seriously. It doesn't seem fair or right. "listen" in on the masses to catch one or two that are suspicious.

what gets me a tad riled is when they someone goes off the deep end and afterwards they say well we were following him for years. AND YET YOU DID NOTHING?!?!?!?!
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Now I'm REALLY scared!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the meme, Icey. If I can only get them to help me figure out how to reset my TV's clock after a power outage then I'd be okay with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    They can and do spy on us. Didn't Snowden tell us that? The problem is no one cares anymore. They willingly allow it to be done. We put everything out there and we do not care who has access to it. People buy these stupid devices to put into their homes that are basically modern day wire taps. I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said: "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Here is one of my favorite memes - LOL:

peoplein-thesixties-better-not-say-that-or-the-governmentwill-wiretap-24983486.png
    - - - Updated - - -

I agree, Dice. But it's just that it possibly starts out that way and grows. We all know Lord Acton's quote about power. Maybe Congress is afraid to act? Heck, I don't want to start sounding like Mel Gibson in CONSPIRACY THEORY, but it seems something's going on here. Just something in the wind. How long before 'they' go from being satisfied with marketing information to using that information to influence the powerful? I don't see much oversight out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I completely agree. The government doesn't care about what most of us do day to day but big advertising does! Information gets sold everyday. It's just not so much spying as trying to figure out how to get you to buy a new juicer or a home weight system.
    - - - Updated - - -

Now that's scary, Dice.

A couple of nights ago I ran into a friend of mine I hadn't seen for quite some time. We stood and talked for nearly 30 minutes. That night when I got home and opened Facebook on my phone the very first thing I saw was a post he'd made a couple of days earlier. I believe while we were talking so were our phones.

Court Magician
    No. Sure the technology exists to monitor individuals, but en masse... Why? Setting aside the ludicrous idea that any shadowy organisation could be well-oiled enough to spy on everyone in the world both efficiently and entirely secretly when ad suggestions based on internet searches are still so primitive every vegetarian recipe I look up is full of ads for KFC, what would be the point? Recording everyone all the time would be an enormous undertaking, particularly if you want to keep it quiet, and the amount of data produced would be colossal - far more than you could usefully process with either automatic routines or actual people. Who would want do that? What for?

Data mining for advertising purposes makes sense in a business way - it's relatively easy for an automated routine to decide what is relevant (keywords you've actually typed into an actual search engine) and it has a set purpose - to sell you stuff. It gets reasonably specific, reasonably useful information with very little effort.

Picking up keywords from your phone mic is nonsense. Ignoring the lousy quality, the distance or layers of clothing between your mouth and the device when you're not actually on it, and how limited voice recognition is anyway, how would any algorithm pick a specific keyword out of an entire general conversation? It's an absolutely rubbish way to find out what someone might be interested in buying. Inefficient, resource-heavy, and produces low-quality data. It sounds like a handy excuse to smooth things over with the spouse, though; drop "buttplug" into casual conversation and maybe they won't investigate your search history when those special ads start popping up...

You could make a case for monitoring based on national security or whatever, but tapping every single phone and computer would not be the first step in that process; the data would simply be too much to handle. Specific people identified through other means, yes; everybody, no.

I'm all for a conspiracy theory that makes sense, but swallowing something like this requires special levels of gullibility, paranoia, or belief in your own interesting-ness.
    "Showtunes and booze, kids - that's what keeps me happy."

Not 'everyone'. Just up-and-coming politicians and business leaders could be enough. Just saying'...

As for my own interesting-ness, hey, I'm just a writer for children's television. I'm far from worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ipsissimus_clay View Post
    No. Sure the technology exists to monitor individuals, but en masse... Why? Setting aside the ludicrous idea that any shadowy organisation could be well-oiled enough to spy on everyone in the world both efficiently and entirely secretly when ad suggestions based on internet searches are still so primitive every vegetarian recipe I look up is full of ads for KFC, what would be the point? Recording everyone all the time would be an enormous undertaking, particularly if you want to keep it quiet, and the amount of data produced would be colossal - far more than you could usefully process with either automatic routines or actual people. Who would want do that? What for?

Data mining for advertising purposes makes sense in a business way - it's relatively easy for an automated routine to decide what is relevant (keywords you've actually typed into an actual search engine) and it has a set purpose - to sell you stuff. It gets reasonably specific, reasonably useful information with very little effort.

Picking up keywords from your phone mic is nonsense. Ignoring the lousy quality, the distance or layers of clothing between your mouth and the device when you're not actually on it, and how limited voice recognition is anyway, how would any algorithm pick a specific keyword out of an entire general conversation? It's an absolutely rubbish way to find out what someone might be interested in buying. Inefficient, resource-heavy, and produces low-quality data. It sounds like a handy excuse to smooth things over with the spouse, though; drop "buttplug" into casual conversation and maybe they won't investigate your search history when those special ads start popping up...

You could make a case for monitoring based on national security or whatever, but tapping every single phone and computer would not be the first step in that process; the data would simply be too much to handle. Specific people identified through other means, yes; everybody, no.

I'm all for a conspiracy theory that makes sense, but swallowing something like this requires special levels of gullibility, paranoia, or belief in your own interesting-ness.

Exactly. So can those private corporations influence important people with data those people don't want made public?
    Yes my friend, and they have been doing that long before electronic surveillance existed.

As another’s tanker mentioned, most people invite such eaves dropping into their homes with modern electronics. I don’t know if just having a microphone in a mobile phone is enough (without a warrant) but if you have Siri, Google Home or some similar device than you threw privacy out the window a long time ago. (That is the editorial you, not you personally Olesker). Also, for some reason people today want to publicly post every minuet of their lives. Social media is something I’ll never understand nor subscribe to. Yes corporations are and have always been listening. Big brother will listen when he feels he needs to. I’m not justifying any of this but assume as much going forward. Information is money and corporations crave all the data they can to take your money. Don’t worry about big brother, trust me he has bigger fish to fry.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said.

As long as You’re not consorting with high end criminals no one is monitoring you. Most of that monitoring occurs once you have been identified as being involved with someone of interest on a federal level. If you are a convicted felon then take a tip from me, watch what you post on social media. If you have a record they are watching your social media, at least in NYC they are. I’d imaging most major cities have a similar detail. However even this detail can only see public photos, they do not have access to your private photos without a warrant. If you post something publicly that is a crime they can get a warrant and then gain access to your private page.

Apologies Olesker, if I came off as snarky in my earlier post. My sardonic NYC Irish tongue doesn't always read in print as intended.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; February 22, 2019 at 11:04pm.

My wife and I noticed a few years ago that “they” do indeed “spy” on us. We were talking face to face about something random and within minutes we started seeing ads on various sites on the internet. So, I’m not sure how much the government spies on us, but our iPhone microphone definitely picks up our conversations even when talking face to face. They pick up on keywords and all of a sudden you start seeing ads on Facebook and other sites trying to get you to buy exact objects you previously talked about ONLY in person. Creepy!!

Now, as research/a game we will blurt out random words or items to buy just to see if ads starting showing up online. My guess would be about 75% if the time it works. Yikes!!
    Yeah it’s very creepy and intrusive.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

I get a notification this morning that the batteries in my keyboard are low. As soon as I log on to he-man.org a pop-up appears for Duracell batteries. Geez...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you're right, MJOLNIR. It's been my experience that you almost always are.

Our home is loaded with tech, thanks to my techy wife. Alexa-everywhere is our latest addition. Same with SHIPT delivery service from our grocery store. They already have all our wants and needs recorded and they seem to know when we're running low.

The positive side of this coin is that I can't imagine living without Siri. I'll be driving along and she'll gently say, "In a mile take the right two lanes." Then, softly, "Take the next exit and continue north." If it was Kim in the car she's bellow, "GET OVER TO THE RIGHT! YOU'RE GONNA MISS THE EXIT!!!" What I really like is getting into extended conversations with Siri. She often has a pithy comeback. A couple of years ago I was in a discussion with Kim about Siri and Kim blurted, "Siri's stupid!" I cautioned her not to ever say that again. I swear this is the truth: for the next six months Siri gave her incorrect driving directions. I've frequently told Kim that if Siri could cook then she (Kim) would be in trouble. Of course she got me back by having the Siri-voice on her phone sound like this buff, Thunder-Down-Under Aussie. Turnabout is fair play.

I guess at some point one just needs to go with the flow in our new tech world. I know I'm a dinosaur because I can remember when phones were black, hard a cord, couldn't compute the 1949 GNP of Brazil and went ding-a-ling instead of playing the Nebraska football fight song every time the phone rings. Such is life.

Edit: Don't worry about sounding snarky. I'm married to a County Cork Irish Angel. I often say I'm IBM -- Irish By Marriage. My love for all who are and all things Irish runs deep. The Quiet Man is our favorite movie. I guess that about says it all.

Yes my friend, and they have been doing that long before electronic surveillance existed.

As another’s tanker mentioned, most people invite such eaves dropping into their homes with modern electronics. I don’t know if just having a microphone in a mobile phone is enough (without a warrant) but if you have Siri, Google Home or some similar device than you threw privacy out the window a long time ago. (That is the editorial you, not you personally Olesker). Also, for some reason people today want to publicly post every minuet of their lives. Social media is something I’ll never understand nor subscribe to. Yes corporations are and have always been listening. Big brother will listen when he feels he needs to. I’m not justifying any of this but assume as much going forward. Information is money and corporations crave all the data they can to take your money. Don’t worry about big brother, trust me he has bigger fish to fry.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said.

As long as You’re not consorting with high end criminals no one is monitoring you. Most of that monitoring occurs once you have been identified as being involved with someone of interest on a federal level. If you are a convicted felon then take a tip from me, watch what you post on social media. If you have a record they are watching your social media, at least in NYC they are. I’d imaging most major cities have a similar detail. However even this detail can only see public photos, they do not have access to your private photos without a warrant. If you post something publicly that is a crime they can get a warrant and then gain access to your private page.

Apologies Olesker, if I came off as snarky in my earlier post. My sardonic NYC Irish tongue doesn't always read in print as intended.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 23, 2019 at 02:07pm.

Ha! My phone will pick up my voice for talk-to-text from 20 feet away. My television activated my brother's "Siri" during a football game. That phone mic is more sensitive than you think and is always listening for your activation phrase. Advertising is a multi-million dollar business. People pay huge amounts for e-mail lists. Apps like Facebook are constantly looking for ways to stay relevant. The programs "learn". What all things did you agree to when you gave it access to your phone when you signed up? There are instructions on how to turn off Facebook's access to your phone's mic for both Apple and Android. Why would you need to? If they aren't part of Siri or Hey google, why would they need access?

In the case of me and my friend, we both gave Facebook access to our GPS location. It's not hard to thnik that they have a program that tracks when you're close to a "friend" and acts accordingly.

I get a notification this morning that the batteries in my keyboard are low. As soon as I log on to he-man.org a pop-up appears for Duracell batteries. Geez...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you're right, MJOLNIR. It's been my experience that you almost always are.

Our home is loaded with tech, thanks to my techy wife. Alexa-everywhere is our latest addition. Same with SHIPT delivery service from our grocery store. They already have all our wants and needs recorded and they seem to know when we're running low.

The positive side of this coin is that I can't imagine living without Siri. I'll be driving along and she'll gently say, "In a mile take the right two lanes." Then, softly, "Take the next exit and continue north." If it was Kim in the car she's bellow, "GET OVER TO THE RIGHT! YOU'RE GONNA MISS THE EXIT!!!" What I really like is getting into extended conversations with Siri. She often has a pithy comeback. A couple of years ago I was in a discussion with Kim about Siri and Kim blurted, "Siri's stupid!" I cautioned her not to ever say that again. I swear this is the truth: for the next six months Siri gave her incorrect driving directions. I've frequently told Kim that if Siri could cook then she (Kim) would be in trouble. Of course she got me back by having the Siri-voice on her phone sound like this buff, Thunder-Down-Under Aussie. Turnabout is fair play.

I guess at some point one just needs to go with the flow in our new tech world. I know I'm a dinosaur because I can remember when phones were black, hard a cord, couldn't compute the 1949 GNP of Brazil and went ding-a-ling instead of playing the Nebraska football fight song every time the phone rings. Such is life.

Edit: Don't worry about sounding snarky. I'm married to a County Cork Irish Angel. I often say I'm IBM -- Irish By Marriage. My love for all who are and all things Irish runs deep. The Quiet Man is our favorite movie. I guess that about says it all.
    Slainte brother!

My father’s family is from Sligo. My mother’s family left under no so great of circumstances in the early 1900s, so we sort of lost that trail. My wife’s family left after her great great grandfather killed a man who was poaching on his land. All too late he realized it was a local earl and they fellow “had the right to hunt on his land.” Without a word to anyone they packed up and fled to America.

Yeah if you have all of that tech in your home rest assured they are listening but I think the “they” is most likely Amazon etc. Other than an Smart phone and a WiFi router I won’t have any of it in my house. My house will be the Galactica of homes. No smart tech.

Without goin ginto Tar Swamp territory, I think I would be more concerned about large publicly traded businesses having that intel about me than the G men. G men need a warrant. Amazon is like the devil, you have to invite them in.

Alexa is always listening. Always.

Americans are surely concerned about their privacy. If this is the case and there is even tacit invasion of it because we don't read all the fine print, not even talking about illegal invasion, it begs the question "Why aren't elected officials doing anything about it? And of course the leads to the next question: "Who wields the true power in our country and why? If Hillary and the Pentagon were hacked, doesn't it stand to reason that every person in Congress could be hacked and that all of their 'secret surfing' could be utilized to the advantage of the true power brokers?

Geez, I'm sounding more and more like Mel Gibson in CONSPIRACY THEORY by the moment.

Ha! My phone will pick up my voice for talk-to-text from 20 feet away. My television activated my brother's "Siri" during a football game. That phone mic is more sensitive than you think and is always listening for your activation phrase. Advertising is a multi-million dollar business. People pay huge amounts for e-mail lists. Apps like Facebook are constantly looking for ways to stay relevant. The programs "learn". What all things did you agree to when you gave it access to your phone when you signed up? There are instructions on how to turn off Facebook's access to your phone's mic for both Apple and Android. Why would you need to? If they aren't part of Siri or Hey google, why would they need access?

In the case of me and my friend, we both gave Facebook access to our GPS location. It's not hard to thnik that they have a program that tracks when you're close to a "friend" and acts accordingly.
    - - - Updated - - -

SlŠinte agad-sa!

Slainte brother!

My father’s family is from Sligo. My mother’s family left under no so great of circumstances in the early 1900s, so we sort of lost that trail. My wife’s family left after her great great grandfather killed a man who was poaching on his land. All too late he realized it was a local earl and they fellow “had the right to hunt on his land.” Without a word to anyone they packed up and fled to America.

Yeah if you have all of that tech in your home rest assured they are listening but I think the “they” is most likely Amazon etc. Other than an Smart phone and a WiFi router I won’t have any of it in my house. My house will be the Galactica of homes. No smart tech.

Without goin ginto Tar Swamp territory, I think I would be more concerned about large publicly traded businesses having that intel about me than the G men. G men need a warrant. Amazon is like the devil, you have to invite them in.

Alexa is always listening. Always.

There's a whole lot of data floating around out there on all of us. Every time I watch CSI or something like that, when we are meant to think "Oh, good. The found all that information on the killer" I always wonder if that same kind of data is available on me. And of course it is. It's just a matter of who has access and can they turn it into something useful. On one hand, I would really hate to be the guy tasked with watching some people. "Dear Lord, not more old lady porn. What is wrong with this guy?" On the other hand, there are probably algorithms that search for certain searches, terms, etc. and do generate watchlists.

I don't know how much privacy is left, or how much of what you do "they" actually care about - but its theoretically very frightening indeed.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

At the end of the day my feeling is this: who cares what I do? I don't participate in any illegal activities. I don't do anything that I would consider embarrassing. The things I do in private are the same things most all of us do in private. I'm not that interesting at the end of the day.

If any big company really wants anything from me it's my money. They want me to spend it on their product. That's about it.

Yeah most “spying” that I’ve noticed revolves around ads and big companies wanting our business. They listen to us through the microphones on our cell phones and pay attention to our websites visited in order to generate online ads they deem most suited to our tastes in hopes of making a sale.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; February 27, 2019 at 09:21pm.

Yeah, that's what we know about...

Yeah most “spying” that I’ve notice revolves around ads and big companies wanting our business. They listen to us the the microphones on our cell phones and pay to attention to websites visited in order to generate online ads they deem most suited to ours tastes in hopes of making a sale.

Call me a fluffer nutter, but I think it is crazy how many people are OK with being spied on by ANYONE. Who cares if you do not do anything wrong, spying on people is WRONG.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"