Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Official DC Aquaman movie thread

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    is the movie good enough to sit thru the 2 hours plus? i love the character, but have yet the energy to sit thru a long screen time. i'm not that impressed to go and sit in the theaters.
    Well, I've done it twice already!

Don't listen to the negative reviewers... I feel like they are just grumpy that this is a *good* DC movie and not a part of the beloved MCU. There are some incredible action scenes throughout this movie, and very little in the way of filler.

I just wish that the DCEU started with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and (to a lesser extent) Man of Steel before moving into the team-based movies.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Well, I've done it twice already!

Don't listen to the negative reviewers... I feel like they are just grumpy that this is a *good* DC movie and not a part of the beloved MCU. There are some incredible action scenes throughout this movie, and very little in the way of filler.

I just wish that the DCEU started with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and (to a lesser extent) Man of Steel before moving into the team-based movies.
    I have to agree with you Ornclown, although I LOVE Justice League and generally DC Comics in general, Aquaman is truly special, but then I'm a pretty hardcore fan of the character, whether he be live action, animation, CGI, or LEGO. I have a natural affinity for aquatic or wintery themes, being an Aquarius, despite my starsign being an AIR sign instead of a WATER sign, which was a surprise for me, when I started getting a lot more into astrology.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That is awesome news indeed, I would love the sequel just as much as the original. Speaking of which, I assume the DVD will be released around April 2019, the average date for a DVD release is around four months after the cinematic release.
    It should get a home release around Easter. This may shock a lot of people but Easter is actually the #1 holiday for selling DVD/BR not Christmas. I learned this years ago when I was still in retail. In fact most studios know this so they plan ahead and release movies around the holidays because of this. I honestly can't wait for the release jst to see all the backstage stuff on how they did all the special effects. Despite all the CGI, the film actually uses tons of practical effects.

In case anyone is wondering, Aquaman officially became the highest grossing DCEU movie with $878+ million WW beating the former champ Batman vs. Superman's $873 million. I still can't believe people thought it was going to loose money just 6 months ago after SDCC. Fools!

Bonehead - I am disappointed your avatar is not Skeletor (given your screen name)
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It should get a home release around Easter. This may shock a lot of people but Easter is actually the #1 holiday for selling DVD/BR not Christmas. I learned this years ago when I was still in retail. In fact most studios know this so they plan ahead and release movies around the holidays because of this. I honestly can't wait for the release jst to see all the backstage stuff on how they did all the special effects. Despite all the CGI, the film actually uses tons of practical effects.

In case anyone is wondering, Aquaman officially became the highest grossing DCEU movie with $878+ million WW beating the former champ Batman vs. Superman's $873 million. I still can't believe people thought it was going to loose money just 6 months ago after SDCC. Fools!
    A book entitled The Art And Making Of Aquaman by Mike Avila has just been released, it looks awesome, and I just have to have it.

Aqua Art.jpg

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...8S0WXSO0&psc=1
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Loved it.

Now where’s my Queen Atlanna action figure?
    Love is to die.
    Love is to not die.
    Love is to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    A book entitled The Art And Making Of Aquaman by Mike Avila has just been released, it looks awesome, and I just have to have it.

Aqua Art.jpg

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...8S0WXSO0&psc=1
    Just got mine. It's beautiful, has a lot of nice reference art from the comics, and a nice forward by Jason Mamoa himself.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They actually did explain that. When they had their little hideout with the air bubble in the sunken ship, Mera (or Vulko) explained to Arthur that only the Atlanteans with Royal blood could breath both Air and Water. So basically that's what separates the nobles from the commoners.
    I have zero memory of that conversation. I must have zoned out! All I remember was them talking about that key and seeking the dessert, and I was trying to remember the name of Aquaman's mentor, but it still didn't stick with me. Thank you.

Carlo,

I think Aquaman is worth it. It's rare to see a dude as big as you on the screen. ha ha!
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I really enjoyed Aquaman but it's probably the last DC film I'll see at the cinema until Wonder Woman 1984 in June 2020 though. I'm still on the fence about Shazam and not fussed at all about Joker or Birds of Prey. I really want that Affleck Batman film with Deathstroke as the villain though so I hope that still happens.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I really enjoyed Aquaman but it's probably the last DC film I'll see at the cinema until Wonder Woman 1984 in June 2020 though. I'm still on the fence about Shazam and not fussed at all about Joker or Birds of Prey. I really want that Affleck Batman film with Deathstroke as the villain though so I hope that still happens.
    I'm still curious about Captain Marvel *ahem* Shazam... I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because it is the anti-dark knight. It seems to embody the lighter part of the DCU.

Personally, I would love for a Robin / Cyborg buddy-action flick with Deathstroke as the main villain. Something between Lethal Weapon, Tango & Cash, and Rush Hour...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I'm looking forward to seeing Shazam, from the trailers I love the camaraderie between Billy Batson/Shazam and Freddy Freeman. It will be like DC's version of a "buddy movie".

My wife and I saw this today and we loved it! I saw an undersea character that was practically CLAWFUL for all intents and purposes. This movie really makes you realize how awesome a properly done MOTU movie could be!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 29, 2019 at 12:06am.
    Odd Man Out

Widget
    Before seeing this film I have seen a lot of memes about it, I can't help but love as I see Maui(Moano) as the Aquaman.

I finally got to see this last night. It was ****ing awesome! I love how much comic book craziness was crammed into it, and the nearly two and a half hour runtime flew by. They had to cover so much ground in this movie, it could very easily have wound up as an incomprehensible mess. They even fit in a scene of Aquaman riding a giant seahorse!

Also, I just love that the most successful DCEU film is Aquaman. If you'd told someone that a few years ago, or even a couple of months ago, they would've thought you were nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Also, I just love that the most successful DCEU film is Aquaman. If you'd told someone that a few years ago, or even a couple of months ago, they would've thought you were nuts!
    It's a weirdo yeah , honestly Aquaman deserves to be in the pantheon of the 1 billions $ club comic book movies of all times, but no its just right, it earned for all the hard work and it's so well deserved for cast & crew (shame for the awards seasons, too late just maybe the cast not being totally black??? plus not being in the abc/disney squad? yeah wahtever lmao); it was Bvs and Justice League instead that should have been 1.5 billions the first and 2.0 billions the latter.
    I mean It's at the top of the DCEU just for some bad marketing strategies of its predecessors, because apart form MOS, the planned Snyder 5-movie cinematic event never had the chance to be told properly, all of that previous strategy did not worked so well at the box office and with critics as well.

See Wonder Woman 1984 will do way more than the first and maybe surpass but then will come Aquaman2 and the story goes on. I see a bright future for Dc on Film. They'l keep doing great Comic book movies and entertain as they always done since 78 Reeve's Superman without being constrained by the shared universe formula.

It will be interesting to see if Shazam is gonna win over (sad ) Larson's Captain Marvel this year,
    which capt Marvel you pefer?
    Last edited by Triklops 1; January 29, 2019 at 07:20pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "LET THE POWER RETURNS....!"

Jeez, the Shazam! movie is just a couple of months away, isn't it? I keep forgetting it's coming out so soon! Anyway, my preference is for the Billy Batson version, who is the "real" Captain Marvel in my mind. I get why DC finally made the name change official, but I don't think I'll ever get used to calling him Shazam!

I've got nothing against the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel, but I've never warmed to her. The movie trailers haven't done anything to get me interested, either. I usually enjoy the Marvel movies, but this one's just not grabbing me. I'm sure I'll watch it eventually, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Ain't it crazy!!??

Earlier tonight, I was telling one of my Civilian friends how Warner Bros doesn't currently know how to handle BATMAN and SUPERMAN, which should be surefire, smash hits. And yet, WONDER WOMAN and AQUAMAN, which were far riskier properties, both turned out fantastic!! The worm has turned!

Personally, I think getting all the effects right was a HUGE part of AQUAMAN's success, meaning that a MOTU movie with characters and backgrounds that look completely otherworldy could be mind blowing.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 29, 2019 at 12:33pm.
    Odd Man Out

I have to say the next few DC movies are going to be awesome, Shazam (2019), Birds Of Prey (2020), and Wonder Woman 1984 (2020), I can't wait! I also can't wait for Aquaman to be released on DVD.

is the movie good enough to sit thru the 2 hours plus? i love the character, but have yet the energy to sit thru a long screen time. i'm not that impressed to go and sit in the theaters.
    Sorry it took me so long to reply carlo because in spite of all the praise its getting here....no. No it's not good enough to sit through for 2+ hours (feels more like 4+)

The film has a video-game like plot, and does nothing to develop its title character. I didn't know much about Aquaman beyond what I'd seen in the JL cartoon, and I still don't know much about him. He's in all the scenes, but it's just shirtless Jason Mamoa acting the tough guy. His "romance" with Mera is developed so late in the movie it's like the screenwriters forgot it was on their to-do list. The casting is really weird (Why are Kidman and Dafoe in this..??) and the designs are all over the place. Even the music is all over the place. It's weird and long and probably exactly like the comics they are putting out these days, which is to say, not very good.

How anyone could spend money to see this three times is beyond me (no offense). I realize it's better than most of the other DC superhero films of late (except Wonder Woman) but it still fails to make you care about any of the characters (except maybe his father) and has a glut of CGI nonsense going on.

Mamoa should have been Lobo. The guy can't act and at least that character is closer to his actual persona. I'd say see it if you're bored and want to kill some time.

I have to say the next few DC movies are going to be awesome
    I have really low expectations. Shazam might be alright, just because it seems like it is going to focus a little more on character development than Aquaman, but still...I look back on the Burton Batman films with more and more fondness every passing year. There was real artistry and focus to those films.

Hopefully Wonder Woman 1984 manages to be as good as the first film. I didn't love the first film but it was a solid movie.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; March 4, 2019 at 03:15pm.

Personally, I LOVE ALL the DC COMICS movies, and Aquaman so far is my favourite, it will be released on DVD/Blu-Ray on April 16 which I will definitely buy and watch many more times. I could never lose interest in this movie, and the sequel will be released in cinemas on December 16 2022. I also look forward to seeing Shazam on April 5.

Yeah, this movie hit a very special note with me and it's easily one of my all-time favorite movies. I just have so much fun with it, it's a beautiful movie, and I absolutely ADORE things having to do with the ocean, especially if they embrace sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I actually got a 4K tv and player just for this specific movie's upcoming release.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa