Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official DC Shazam movie thread

Official DC Shazam movie thread

Also revealed at SDCC 2018, the official SHAZAM! movie trailer!

I'm still on the fence about this one... it seems like Warner Bros. is going out of their way to make this more comical and lighthearted. It feels really forced at this point, but who knows? it may turn out pretty good. Shazam is an awesome character, and he deserves a great movie...

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I personally like how they capture the character and the overall atmosphere for this. Shazam is really lighthearted all around, and they are right on track for this one. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I'll go and see it.

Heroic Warrior
    I've seen the trailer and reactions to the trailer last night.

First of all he's Captain Marvel me. It is the wizard who is known as Shazam.

I'm not a fan of what they've turned DC Captain Marvel into and because of that I'm not the biggest fan of it. Because the movie will reflect said changes.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I've seen the trailer and reactions to the trailer last night.

First of all he's Captain Marvel me. It is the wizard who is known as Shazam.

I'm not a fan of what they've turned DC Captain Marvel into and because of that I'm not the biggest fan of it. Because the movie will reflect said changes.
    I understand not being happy about it. I have mixed feelings, too. But I understand why. DC has limitations on how they can use that name (i.e. in a title of a comic or movie) due to Marvel's character of the same name. And with Marvel's film based on their Captain Marvel character coming out a month or so before hand, it would just create a lot of confusion for those not familiar with the two characters having the same name.

I don't really follow the comics, but I was aware of the name change when it was rebooted. I'm curious how he can even introduce himself to anyone (be it in the newer comics or this movie) since him saying "Shazam" makes him transform.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The trailer looks...interesting. I'm not a really huge fan of adults portraying children trapped in adult bodies because it is very rarely performed convincingly and in a natural manner. The only successful one that springs to my mind is Tom Hanks in Big while all the horrible ones just flood in (13 Going on 30, Freaky Friday, Dream A Little Dream, Like Father Like Son, 18 Again!, Vice Versa…). I also am distracted by Zachary Levi's muscle suit looking way too fake.

That being said, while it looks like this will be an average film so far, I am open to being pleasantly surprised by this film.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I understand not being happy about it. I have mixed feelings, too. But I understand why. DC has limitations on how they can use that name (i.e. in a title of a comic or movie) due to Marvel's character of the same name. And with Marvel's film based on their Captain Marvel character coming out a month or so before hand, it would just create a lot of confusion for those not familiar with the two characters having the same name.

I don't really follow the comics, but I was aware of the name change when it was rebooted. I'm curious how he can even introduce himself to anyone (be it in the newer comics or this movie) since him saying "Shazam" makes him transform.
    He can still say his name without transforming / reverting. When he actually wants to transform, he has to say SHAZAM! with conviction and intent, meaning he has to convince himself and the gods of the Rock of Eternity that he is needed to do good. On a similar note, his other powers have to be used with intent as well - his lighting bolts for example.

Also, for those who may not know, the name "Shazam" is actually an acronym for Solomon - Hercules - Atlas - Zeus - Achilles - and Mercury.
    Last edited by Ornclown; July 22, 2018 at 04:31pm.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Agreed. I'm not crazy about the name change either-- I still refer to him as Captain Marvel, and likely always will-- but I totally get why they did it. there are a couple of nitpicks I have, such as a few elements of the costume design, and the underwhelming transformation, but I think this looks great! I'm a bit let down that Mark Strong is Sivana, though, since that dashes the small, rather silly, hope I still had that we might see him reprise his role as Sinestro once they do more Green Lantern movies. People can say what they like about the GL movie, but he was an awesome Sinestro!

I have zero clue who Shazam is, but I watched the trailer with my son and we thought it was cute. I am a sucker for Zachary Levi though. He just keeps getting better with age.

Heroic Warrior
    He had the same problem when he was Captain Marvel.

and with each Greek God came an ability/attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    He can still say his name without transforming / reverting. When he actually wants to transform, he has to say SHAZAM! with conviction and intent, meaning he has to convince himself and the gods of the Rock of Eternity that he is needed to do good. On a similar note, his other powers have to be used with intent as well - his lighting bolts for example.

Also, for those who may not know, the name "Shazam" is actually an acronym for Solomon - Hercules - Atlas - Zeus - Achilles - and Mercury.
    - - - Updated - - -

The big red cheese. The worlds mightiest mortal.

What you saw in the trailer is pretty much his comic book origin.

DC sued and won over the company that made (the now) Shazam saying he was to close to Superman. The company went under a bit later and DC ended up buying the rights to the character.

His nemesis is Black Adam. Black Adam was the first to wield the power of the wizard but went bad. If I remember back in the olden day of comics Black Adam got his powers from a different set of gods. Same with Freddy Freeman and Billy's Sister.

The Wizard Shazam resides at the Rock of Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I have zero clue who Shazam is, but I watched the trailer with my son and we thought it was cute. I am a sucker for Zachary Levi though. He just keeps getting better with age.
    Last edited by midor; July 22, 2018 at 08:16pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Looks entertaining to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I also am distracted by Zachary Levi's muscle suit looking way too fake.

That being said, while it looks like this will be an average film so far, I am open to being pleasantly surprised by this film.
    Overall I liked the trailer. The suit was the only thing that bothered me as well. Just looks like it's inflated.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    He had the same problem when he was Captain Marvel.

and with each Greek God came an ability/attribute.

- - - Updated - - -

The big red cheese. The worlds mightiest mortal.

What you saw in the trailer is pretty much his comic book origin.

DC sued and won over the company that made (the now) Shazam saying he was to close to Superman. The company went under a bit later and DC ended up buying the rights to the character.

His nemesis is Black Adam. Black Adam was the first to wield the power of the wizard but went bad. If I remember back in the olden day of comics Black Adam got his powers from a different set of gods. Same with Freddy Freeman and Billy's Sister.

The Wizard Shazam resides at the Rock of Eternity.
    A crash course to Shazam background. Nice.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I also am distracted by Zachary Levi's muscle suit looking way too fake.
    That is the one thing that stands out a bit too much in a bad way. It looks more like a really good cosplay that you would see at a convention, but still not quite "real" enough to work in a movie.

I still otherwise like what I'm seeing with this, so I plan to go see this when it comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Agreed. I'm not crazy about the name change either-- I still refer to him as Captain Marvel, and likely always will-- but I totally get why they did it. there are a couple of nitpicks I have, such as a few elements of the costume design, and the underwhelming transformation, but I think this looks great! I'm a bit let down that Mark Strong is Sivana, though, since that dashes the small, rather silly, hope I still had that we might see him reprise his role as Sinestro once they do more Green Lantern movies. People can say what they like about the GL movie, but he was an awesome Sinestro!
    Sinestro and most of the other Green Lantern Corp were very well done. It was just everything else that didn't work too well.

Most of the DCEU movies have been too dark and joyless for my liking, so I was hoping they could find a good, light tone for this character. I think the trailer looks great! I just hope the whole movie can pull this off.

I this’ll be a fun romp; we’re looking forward to it.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I started watching this show on Amazon Prime that discusses the dawn of comics, really good stuff. Any way, they talked about Captain Marvel/Shazam. It is a pretty fascinating show if anyone is interested. I will have to look up the name, but it starts with Supes (of course). So far it is a pretty interesting little history of our heroes.

I think it was a solid trailer. That's great! sound like a fun journey I'll give it a chance
    Its "Big" that meets "Superman" sorta like, cool.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "LET THE POWER RETURNS....!"

I thought it looked like fun. I'm not the biggest Shazam/Captain Marvel fan around though. I didn't really rankle at the name change as I saw why they did it. I doubt it will come up in more than an oblique way in the film, but I never really liked how everybody always wanted the character to fight Superman. Given their respective portrayals in the comics, I didn't really see why they should want to fight to begin with, nor really care which of the two is stronger. I figured any meeting between the two of them would be a couple of big guys high-fiving each other and saying "Bro" and "Dude" a lot while their respective villains each face-palmed and said "Oh no, another one." Of course, I thought that about Superman and Batman too and everybody seems to want them to beat the bejesus out of each other too.

As far as the movie itself goes, I think it will either be a great change of pace, or much like Green Lantern, I might like it but nearly everybody else will think it is bad. I didn't really have any problem with the actor or the suit. I have always sort of pictured Cap/Shazam as Patrick Warburton, but I think he's a bit old for that role now.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post

As far as the movie itself goes, I think it will either be a great change of pace, or much like Green Lantern, I might like it but nearly everybody else will think it is bad. I didn't really have any problem with the actor or the suit. I have always sort of pictured Cap/Shazam as Patrick Warburton, but I think he's a bit old for that role now.
    Warburton would've made a great Captain Marvel a few years ago! I liked him as the Tick, too.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I don't know much about Shazam other than he was a late wave Super Powers figure I never had, and a little on the Captain Marvel name controversy. I think he has similar powers to Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I started watching this show on Amazon Prime that discusses the dawn of comics, really good stuff. Any way, they talked about Captain Marvel/Shazam. It is a pretty fascinating show if anyone is interested. I will have to look up the name, but it starts with Supes (of course). So far it is a pretty interesting little history of our heroes.
    Would be interested in the name of that documentary!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I don't know much about Shazam other than he was a late wave Super Powers figure I never had, and a little on the Captain Marvel name controversy. I think he has similar powers to Superman.
    Originally, the character was sort of an "alternate company equivalent" for Superman. In a lot of ways they are similar, both being archetypes of the "flying brick" - a super strong character who also can fly and move really fast. So similar were the two characters, in fact, that DC comics successfully sued Fawcett Comics, the original publisher of SHAZAM, and then bought the rights to it after Fawcett went out of business. For a number of years he was the Superman-Analogue of an alternate Earth in the DCU, and then after the Crisis on Infinite Earths was folded into the main DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    Most of the DCEU movies have been too dark and joyless for my liking, so I was hoping they could find a good, light tone for this character. I think the trailer looks great! I just hope the whole movie can pull this off.
    Do you think DCEU has took the wrong lessons from Dark Knight trilogy, Watchmen and V For Vendetta as much as the comics of the 90s took the wrong lessons from Katsuhiro Otomo, Alan Moore, Frank Miller etc.?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Do you think DCEU has took the wrong lessons from Dark Knight trilogy, Watchmen and V For Vendetta as much as the comics of the 90s took the wrong lessons from Katsuhiro Otomo, Alan Moore, Frank Miller etc.?
    Miller, et. al. made a lot of money during their time - of course DC was eager to re-create that success. Of course some of this is trying to put lightning in a bottle. It worked because the conditions were right - but you cannot force it. Some of this stuff doesn't really follow a formula, and trying to put one on it only ends up disappointing people.

I have always sort of pictured Cap/Shazam as Ptrick Warburton, but I think he's a bit old for that role now.
    Warburton was my pick for Captain Marvel for many years, too! I also thought Bruce Campbell would have made a great Captain Marvel back in the '90s.

Originally, the character was sort of an "alternate company equivalent" for Superman. In a lot of ways they are similar, both being archetypes of the "flying brick" - a super strong character who also can fly and move really fast. So similar were the two characters, in fact, that DC comics successfully sued Fawcett Comics, the original publisher of SHAZAM, and then bought the rights to it after Fawcett went out of business. For a number of years he was the Superman-Analogue of an alternate Earth in the DCU, and then after the Crisis on Infinite Earths was folded into the main DC universe.
    To add to this, it's interesting to note that Captain Marvel comics actually outsold Superman for years in the 1940s. He had all the appeal of Superman himself, and the child wish fulfillment on top that really made the character irresistible to kids. Many of the iconic elements of the Superman comics (superpowered animal sidekicks, a bald mad scientist nemesis, a family of superheroes with the same powers) all originated in Captain Marvel comics well before they ever appeared in those featuring Superman. It's ironic that, as much as Captain Marvel began his life as a take-off on Superman, Superman himself wound up drawing quite a lot from Captain Marvel.