Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official DC Shazam movie thread

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Beers View Post
    I agree, this is the better “Captain Marvel” movie! I’m almost 50, so when ever I hear Captain Marvel, I think of the “Shazam!” character. I thought the Marvel version was entertaining, but underwhelming. Shazam was much more entertaining! A very good movie. I can’t understand why Captain Marvel hit a billion dollars for such an average film. Shazam is much better, but will be lucky to hit 800 million.
    With the lesser production cost compared to other DCEU movies, a 800 million BO will be so sweet for Warner.

I can't wait to see it in theaters.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Saw Shazam tonight and absolutely loved it!

There are so many things to like about this movie, but I will just say that, as origin stories go, this one does a great job of pacing considering the age of the character and the wealth of history he brings to the big screen.

This movie made me feel really happy, and glad that so many heavy concepts can be handled with panache when put in the hands of people who care.

I can't wait to see more of Shazam in the future... THIS is how DC Superhero movies ought to be!

Also, the mid-credit scene is so incredible... if you don't smile when you see it, then you aren't alive.
    See at least you don't have to throw snide at marvel about this being the best Captain Marvel movie....when will people stop It was a good movie but the only gripe (because I'm a comic book guy first) the villain should have been Black Adam not Dr. Sirvana. Mark Strong is a great actor but Sirvana was a small wimpy character oh well maybe in the sequel we'll see Black Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I saw Shazam this morning and I LOVED it too. It had the perfect blend of superheroism and lighthearted fun. I think Jack Dylan Grazer was PERFECT as Freddy Freeman and I liked the special role the other foster kids had in the story (without going into spoiler territory). Both Asher Angel & Zachary Levi amazingly personified the "man-child" aspects of the title character. Djimon Hounsou was great as the wizard who gives Billy Batson/Shazam his powers, & Mark Strong was greatly sinister as the supervillain Dr Sivana.
    I totally agree with you!

Marvel Studios gets tons of accolades for their casting choices, and rightfully so, but DC has shown that it does just as well. Look at the actors who have played some of the greatest roles in DC comicdom - both past and present - and you will have a hard time thinking of them as the wrong choices (most of the time... Ryan Reynolds notwithstanding...)

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Beers View Post
    I agree, this is the better “Captain Marvel” movie! I’m almost 50, so when ever I hear Captain Marvel, I think of the “Shazam!” character.
    YES! I told my brother that this character is the "O.G. Cap'n Marvel"

It always rubbed me the wrong way when DC decided to actually name him Shazam... that's like naming He-Man "By the Power of Grayskull."

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See at least you don't have to throw snide at marvel about this being the best Captain Marvel movie....when will people stop It was a good movie but the only gripe (because I'm a comic book guy first) the villain should have been Black Adam not Dr. Sirvana. Mark Strong is a great actor but Sirvana was a small wimpy character oh well maybe in the sequel we'll see Black Adam.
    Oh, of course not. I enjoy both Marvel and DC properties (and Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Valiant, etc.) and find it is much more fun when you can enjoy the strengths of each. I love the MCU Captain Marvel so much that I saw it three times on opening week, but that doesn't mean I love Shazam any less. They are both incredible films that carry rich histories that are so different, yet equally as fun.

As for Sivana, I think he was a good choice for a Shazam origin story. He was one of Captain Marvel's original super-villains and he is still a presence to this day.

The thing that was odd to me, was that they kind of combined Sivana and Black Adam's stories... I have to believe that Black Adam will make an appearance soon - if not in the sequel. After all, he is Captain Marvel's most recognizable nemesis...

It's a good time to be a comic, sci-fi, fantasy, nerd of the 70's and 80's.... as long as you can sit in the middle aisle.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

See at least you don't have to throw snide at marvel about this being the best Captain Marvel movie...
    I wasn't "throwing snide." I grew up calling Shazam by his original name -- Captain Marvel. So inevitably I can't help but compare the two 2019 Captain Marvel movies, and, IMHO, DC wins this match-up by a good bit. Shoot, even if the two characters didn't share a name, people would compare them to each other just because they came out close together from the two big rival comic brands. It's a rare instance of DC winning a match-up like this.

I'm a died-in-the-wool DC Comics fan since childhood, but I absolutely love the Marvel movies and think that they have, at almost every turn, bested DC at the live-action movie game. I wish this wasn't the case, but it's true, and kudos to Marvel for that. I own every single MCU movie on blu-ray and hope this universe continues for many more years. Having said that, there are times when DC has done things right. Wonder Woman would be a top-10 Marvel movie if she was in that universe, Aquaman was a solid effort, and, as I said before, Shazam! is the better Captain Marvel movie.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I totally agree with you!

Marvel Studios gets tons of accolades for their casting choices, and rightfully so, but DC has shown that it does just as well. Look at the actors who have played some of the greatest roles in DC comicdom - both past and present - and you will have a hard time thinking of them as the wrong choices (most of the time... Ryan Reynolds notwithstanding...)

YES! I told my brother that this character is the "O.G. Cap'n Marvel"

It always rubbed me the wrong way when DC decided to actually name him Shazam... that's like naming He-Man "By the Power of Grayskull."

Oh, of course not. I enjoy both Marvel and DC properties (and Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Valiant, etc.) and find it is much more fun when you can enjoy the strengths of each. I love the MCU Captain Marvel so much that I saw it three times on opening week, but that doesn't mean I love Shazam any less. They are both incredible films that carry rich histories that are so different, yet equally as fun.

As for Sivana, I think he was a good choice for a Shazam origin story. He was one of Captain Marvel's original super-villains and he is still a presence to this day.

The thing that was odd to me, was that they kind of combined Sivana and Black Adam's stories... I have to believe that Black Adam will make an appearance soon - if not in the sequel. After all, he is Captain Marvel's most recognizable nemesis...

It's a good time to be a comic, sci-fi, fantasy, nerd of the 70's and 80's.... as long as you can sit in the middle aisle.
    True there is that I can remember when DC rules the roost and Marvel's movies were bad I admitted it it was FACT see overall DC has some good ones but overall they are not as good as Marvel's FACT

I wanted them both to be awesome but for whatever reason they didn't that's something most fans do nowadays is pick a side I only had one side (and still do) ALL I bet that most movies goers wouldn't know characters like Magnus Robot Fighter,Turok,Dr. Solar etc. that's fine I just don't like being told about something that the other parties have no clue about....It was a fun to see

Mr. Mind!

Also the lunchroom with

Superman
    is great I only wish it was

Henry Cavill
    Last edited by Megalodon; April 7, 2019 at 07:16pm.

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. A little more family oriented for my taste with some cliche things you could see coming a mile away but still very entertaining. Lots of humor that really worked and great action.

My biggest complaints:
    Djimon Hounsou is one of my favorite actors in film. But he looked ridiculous to me in this movie. He looked like a younger guy wearing an old man fake beard. They could have found someone with a little more natural age for the part IMO but it wasn't a huge deal or anything.

The second and biggest thing was:

What mother has her child for 3 years and then just abandons them at the fair? If she were strung out on drugs then maybe it would have been believable. This was more unbelievable than any of the superhero aspects of the movie to me.

One question I'm left unable to answer is:

Do all the kids still have the power to transform? Did he give them powers permanently or was that a one time thing?
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

but the only gripe (because I'm a comic book guy first) the villain should have been Black Adam not Dr. Sirvana. Mark Strong is a great actor but Sirvana was a small wimpy character oh well maybe in the sequel we'll see Black Adam.
    They decided to keep Black Adam separate - supposedly will film next year.

Sivana in this is pretty much a direct lift from Geoff Johns' modern relaunch (as, indeed, much of this story does).

[

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post

Sivana in this is pretty much a direct lift from Geoff Johns' modern relaunch (as, indeed, much of this story does).

[
    Well then why was the end credit scene

Mr. Mind and he looked great!
    ?

And to this day being a middle aged man that liked BOTH (And alot of other properties) I can't see these "Pick a side" I only had ONE side...I guess that's how it is today...sad

Yeah, Black Adam will have to make an appearance at some point... I'm sure that is who many fans would like to see go up against Captain Marvel next.

I think it would be cool to let Sivana and his new cohort make evil plans together while Black Adam and Cap duke it out in the sequel...

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    ... some cliche things you could see coming a mile away but still very entertaining. Lots of humor that really worked and great action.

My biggest complaints:
    Djimon Hounsou is one of my favorite actors in film. But he looked ridiculous to me in this movie. He looked like a younger guy wearing an old man fake beard. They could have found someone with a little more natural age for the part IMO but it wasn't a huge deal or anything.
    I hear you on the predictability but sometimes that just means the story telling did it's job setting events to make sense. I get the impression that with Billy being a young teen the film may have been geared more towards that age group, rightfully so. That may be were some of that predictability comes from too.

I completely agree with you on Hounsou. I've loved him since I saw him in Gladiator but his character's portrayal may have been the only weak point in the film. It's wasn't a problem in the writing but either they should have put more work in to making him look old rather than someone in a Santa beard, or cast someone older. His on screen time was important but brief so it's just a it pick for me.

I saw it. I thought it was entertaining for the first viewing. But this doesn't strike me as a movie that I will want to see multiple times. I thought the biggest glaring problem with this movie was that Billy and Sahazam didn't act anything at all even remotely close to being the same person. I thought it fell into the same trap as Tom Hanks in Big and other similar movies where an adult actor is playing a kid in an adult body and they act WAY too young, far younger and more immature than the age of the child they are portraying. I could argue that the villain was extremely one dimensional but in a movie that is sort of a parody of super hero movies it works.
    Last edited by FAKER II; April 9, 2019 at 09:23am.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...up-25m-1199992

"The kid-friendly Shazam! easily topped the weekend box office with $53.5 million from 4,217 cinemas in a second consecutive win for DC's superhero stable following Aquaman. Including previous sneaks, the movie's early North American total stands at $56.8 million.

Overseas, the $100 million movie is likewise off to a strong start, earning $102 million from 79 markets for a global weekend haul of $155.5 million. China led with $30.9 million; however, the film saw a steep drop on Saturday, suggesting weak word of mouth.

While it may not have broken any records in its opening, Shazam!'s overall performance no doubt launches a new franchise for New Line and DC.

The pic, buoyed by glowing reviews and an A CinemaScore, was powered by younger moviegoers. More than half of the audience was under the age of 25, including nearly a third under age 17, according to PostTrak. By way of comparison, 46 percent of those turning out to see Captain Marvel on opening weekend were under 25. Males made up 65 percent of ticket buyers for Shazam!, which is rated PG-13."

So, for a film that cost roughly $100 million to make, an opening weekend global haul of $155 million is very good even no records were broken. However, as the article stated, it had a $30 million opening weekend in China where it was second to an unfortunately named Chinese production called P-Storm (that made $39 million). Also, the positive critical and viewer reviews made the film perform slightly past the initial opening weekend projection of $45 million domestic.

We'll have to wait to see if Shazam's second weekend box office will be hindered somewhat by the Game of Thrones season opener on Sunday and to a lesser extent Hellboy...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I saw it. I thought it was entertaining for the first viewing. But this doesn't strike me as a movie that I will want to see multiple times.
    I can see what you mean with this.

Although, because of the setting, it might become something of a quirky Holiday Season movie... something along the lines of Gremlins and Die Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I thought the biggest glaring problem with this movie was that Billy and Sahazam didn't act anything at all even remotely close to being the same person. I thought it fell into the same trap as Tom Hanks in Big and other similar movies where an adult actor is playing a kid in an adult body and they act WAY too young, far younger and more immature than the age of the child they are portraying. I could argue that the villain was extremely one dimensional but in a movie that is sort of a parody of super hero movies it works.
    It's funny that you mention this...

Did anyone else notice the "Big" reference during the showdown with Sivana, stepping on the piano keys?

Regarding Billy vs Shazam! in how they act, I think the difference is intentional.

As presented in the film, Billy is overserious and hasn't really acted like a kid due to a need to keep looking for his mom. The superpowers I think are a carthsis for him, and he forgets his serious day to day and actually has fun. YMMV.

Did anyone else notice the "Big" reference during the showdown with Sivana, stepping on the piano keys?
    Absolutely, and that got one of the biggest laughs from me -- the "plink plink plink" sounds as Sivana menacingly approached Shazam.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Absolutely, and that got one of the biggest laughs from me -- the "plink plink plink" sounds as Sivana menacingly approached Shazam.
    Yes!

It's the little moments like these that separate this movie from the darker DC films.

Another part during this same scene that I loved: "I'm Batman!" *tosses Batman toy* "Get him Batman!"

Heroic Warrior

Sivana in this is pretty much a direct lift from Geoff Johns' modern relaunch (as, indeed, much of this story does).[
    Not really. John's version was a character who could see magic an was getting eaten alive by it till he was the shriveled old man like the traditional Sivanna… Movie version can fly, shoot lightning and has all the powers of Shazam... In the comic Sivanna and Black Adam teamed up in that origin... in this one they kind of merged them. Not to mention the motivations behind Sivanna's search for power was completely different.

Yeah, Black Adam will have to make an appearance at some point... I'm sure that is who many fans would like to see go up against Captain Marvel next.

I think it would be cool to let Sivana and his new cohort make evil plans together while Black Adam and Cap duke it out in the sequel...
    Honestly... I'm a little afraid that Powering up Sivanna like that may have neutered Black Adam's 'cool' factor. I mean... 'an evil Shazam' isn't bringing anything new to the table now... I'm glad he had a powerful villain to punch and can understand the power up... but I really wish that he would have gotten DIFFERENT powers. Something from the deadly sins or something that differentiated them a bit...

Also, as much as I LOOOOOVED Levi's performance... and the movie in general... They really didn't do a service to the Wisdom of Solomon. Not sure how they could have done that without ruining a lot of my other favorite parts of the show... but I would like to see ALL of his aspects showing up.

I remembered Sivana was being shrivelled, but really remembered him as having powers too. Guess my memory cheats.

Since they're doing a black adam solo film, it seems likely to me they're going to treat him as an anti-hero rather than out-and-out villain for Shazam to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Also, as much as I LOOOOOVED Levi's performance... and the movie in general... They really didn't do a service to the Wisdom of Solomon. Not sure how they could have done that without ruining a lot of my other favorite parts of the show... but I would like to see ALL of his aspects showing up.
    So I'm not all that familiar with the character but is using the "wisdom" something he has to focus to do? If so it could be explained that he doesn't even realize he has that power.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

I remembered Sivana was being shrivelled, but really remembered him as having powers too. Guess my memory cheats.

Since they're doing a black adam solo film, it seems likely to me they're going to treat him as an anti-hero rather than out-and-out villain for Shazam to fight.
    I love Black Adam, but he's absolutely the wrong character to be the first villain.

When you introduce a character to a new audience, you want that character to be unique and stand out. The last thing you want to do is have his villain be a "dark mirror" of the protagonist. You use Black Adam down the line to add depth to the hero, to show how things could have turned with different choices. But you need to establish exactly who Shazam is before you can introduce Adam.

Like how the Donner films used a very human villain in the 1st movie and then the Kryptonians in the 2nd. Or how you wouldn't ever want to have Venom be Spider-Man's first villain before you've even established who Spider-Man is.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I love Black Adam, but he's absolutely the wrong character to be the first villain.

When you introduce a character to a new audience, you want that character to be unique and stand out. The last thing you want to do is have his villain be a "dark mirror" of the protagonist. You use Black Adam down the line to add depth to the hero, to show how things could have turned with different choices. But you need to establish exactly who Shazam is before you can introduce Adam.

Like how the Donner films used a very human villain in the 1st movie and then the Kryptonians in the 2nd. Or how you wouldn't ever want to have Venom be Spider-Man's first villain before you've even established who Spider-Man is.
    I didn't have fault with Sivana but he should not have been a jacked up version more like the Luthor to Billy's Superman...You could have even thrown his annoying kids in the mix as well....

I'm not sure the world is ready for Georgia and Sivana Jr.

But you'd could use them, Magnificus and Beautia in a sequel. I could see them all working to position Black Adam and Billy against each other, separating the Marvel Family (Shazam Family?), etc.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    So I'm not all that familiar with the character but is using the "wisdom" something he has to focus to do? If so it could be explained that he doesn't even realize he has that power.

Not that I'm aware of. It depends on the writer. They've had a lot of difficulty since the 80's trying to balance that 'child-like enthusiasm' with the all knowing wisdom. It's a really tough trick to do... most of the time Solomon is whispering advice in the back of his head while he's doing stuff but that's a little too much Dr.Fate/Nabu for my tastes.. but I'd still like something. The closest we got was the very end fight where he gets a bit clever, but it wasn't really called out.

I disagree.

I think when you're introducing the world to a character you need to have his ICONIC villains there. Sivanna was good as a classic Shazam villain... but Black Adam is more iconic. Superman/Luthor, Batman/Joker, Spider-man Green Goblin, Daredevil/Kingpin You need to jump in with both feet and show off what made your characters world known in the first place. Besides, they kind of STILL did the 'Dark Mirror' concept in this movie and it was still awesome.

I really think that was the biggest problem with Green Lantern. Parallax is LAME. They bet all the marbles on setting up Sinestro for a sequel.... and then didn't have a sequel. Mark Strong was the best part of that movie and if he had been the Villain with the yellow ring it would have been much better. For that matter most of the DCEU has been about setting up future stuff and not focusing on the current thing. Justice League should have NEVER used Steppenwolf. He's a lame character... and honestly when I watched it he just felt like Darkseid without the eye beams. Right down to the stony face... If they had colored him differently or changed his name in the reshoots, the movie would have played just as well... if not better.

In this day and age (or really ANY) you can't COUNT on sequels. Come out with your A-game or don't come out at all...

I disagree.

I think when you're introducing the world to a character you need to have his ICONIC villains there. Sivanna was good as a classic Shazam villain... but Black Adam is more iconic. Superman/Luthor, Batman/Joker, Spider-man Green Goblin, Daredevil/Kingpin You need to jump in with both feet and show off what made your characters world known in the first place. Besides, they kind of STILL did the 'Dark Mirror' concept in this movie and it was still awesome.

I really think that was the biggest problem with Green Lantern. Parallax is LAME. They bet all the marbles on setting up Sinestro for a sequel.... and then didn't have a sequel. Mark Strong was the best part of that movie and if he had been the Villain with the yellow ring it would have been much better. For that matter most of the DCEU has been about setting up future stuff and not focusing on the current thing. Justice League should have NEVER used Steppenwolf. He's a lame character... and honestly when I watched it he just felt like Darkseid without the eye beams. Right down to the stony face... If they had colored him differently or changed his name in the reshoots, the movie would have played just as well... if not better.

In this day and age (or really ANY) you can't COUNT on sequels. Come out with your A-game or don't come out at all...
    Disagree. Dr. Sivana has historically been Shazam's main and most important villain.

Captain Marvel and Dr. Sivana were introduced together in 1939 and have a long and frequent history. Black Adam came around 6 years later, appeared just that one time in the Fawcett comics (and died!) and wasn't seen again until DC resurrected the character more than 30 years later in the 1970s.

Dr. Sivana is Captain Marvel's "Lex Luthor". Black Adam is closer to being his "Bizarro".

This has historically been one of the greatest conundrums for the writers who pen Captain Marvel... on one hand, you have an altruistic boy who turns into a superman with all the powers of the gods - including the wisdom of Solomon... but, on the other hand, it's that very lack of wisdom and child-like attitude that help Captain Marvel stand apart from similar superheroes.

I much prefer the dichotomy between Billy Batson and Captain Marvel when they exhibit the other's demeanor... i.e. Billy the brave and Captain Marvel the inexperienced.

Disagree. Dr. Sivana has historically been Shazam's main and most important villain.

Captain Marvel and Dr. Sivana were introduced together in 1939 and have a long and frequent history. Black Adam came around 6 years later, appeared just that one time in the Fawcett comics (and died!) and wasn't seen again until DC resurrected the character more than 30 years later in the 1970s.

Dr. Sivana is Captain Marvel's "Lex Luthor". Black Adam is closer to being his "Bizarro".
    I agree with this.

Black Adam may be Captain Marvel's most recognizable villain, but Dr. Sivana and even Mr. Mind are much more prominent arch-nemeses.

And this contrast has worked so well for so long because it resembles the brain vs. brawn, or experience vs. innocence that create the best stories.... not just a slug-fest between two super-powered beings.