Thread: The 8 Back No Warranty/No SKU/ Free Text Club

Widget

The 8 Back No Warranty/No SKU/ Free Text Club

Since I'm new to the forum I thought it would be fun to start a first edition club. Feel free to post photos of your first edition No SKUs and discuss everything there is about these amazing first editions. After a long time searching the internet I've yet to see a single photo of No SKU Teela or Zodac 8 backs. I'm starting to wonder if they even exist. Here's my first entry in what I expect will be a long and difficult journey to get all 8. Below is my 8 back No SKU He Man from the Russell Branton collection. It's a 75 clear (70, 85 , 85). I can't wait to see what others are out there.

SKU? What does it mean?
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Widget
    SKU numbers are product code numbers . If you look at the back of the more common 8 back either with or without warranty you will see the SKU / product code below each of the 8 character images on the back of the card with a mini Bio. He Man for exmple will have "5040" listed below his character photo. The true rarest of the rare and true first editions are those lacking these SKUs in addition to being without warranty.

Hopefully others will post photos of the ones they have in their collection. From what I see online there don't appear to be a lot of these around and certainly very few in high AFA grade. My goal is to get all 8 non SKUs in high AFA grade at some point but it's going to be tough.

I recently contacted AFA and was told that they are now recognizing this distinction but did not do so as far back as 2007.
    Last edited by padreshane; August 1, 2018 at 10:33pm.

Widget
    I doubt that AFA 75 is counted as high AFA grade. But yes, true 1st release 8 Backs are very rare indeed.

Widget
    High grade is relative I guess. 75 for an 8 Back without warranty & non SKU is High Grade given that rarity . In fact, it might be the highest. I'm not sure you'll find a higher graded first issue He Man above 75 clear grade. I haven't found any evidence of it. There might be one or two but good luck finding it.

Widget

These are beautiful. You bought both from the Hake's auctions? Would love to see more examples!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    These are beautiful. You bought both from the Hake's auctions? Would love to see more examples!
    Thanks. I'm just getting into MOTU collecting. Yes both are from Hakes. I was the highest bidder on the He Man but 2nd highest on the Skeletor. I located the guy who won the Skeletor and acquired it a few moths back. Both are from the Russell Brandon Collection and there was no way I could have one without the other.

Both will remain united ! Looking back now I would have scooped up the Beast Man and Man At Arms which also went in the same auction . However at the time I never really set out to get so hooked on collecting. It's not easy tracking these down .

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Awesome ones buddy, very nice condition.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by padreshane View Post
    Thanks. I'm just getting into MOTU collecting. Yes both are from Hakes. I was the highest bidder on the He Man but 2nd highest on the Skeletor. I located the guy who won the Skeletor and acquired it a few moths back. Both are from the Russell Brandon Collection and there was no way I could have one without the other.

Both will remain united ! Looking back now I would have scooped up the Beast Man and Man At Arms which also went in the same auction . However at the time I never really set out to get so hooked on collecting. It's not easy tracking these down .
    Well, you're off to a great start! These first release 8 backs are so beautiful

Widget
    Say hello to the newest member of my Test Market Club : AFA 85 Clear. To my knowledge this is the cleanest known example.

Last edited by padreshane; November 11, 2018 at 02:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by padreshane View Post
    Say hello to the newest member of my Test Market Club : AFA 85 Clear. To my knowledge this is the cleanest known example.

https://i.imgur.com/Wj1ZvZo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hI8RCuW.jpg
    What a beautiful example. Looks absolutely brand new. Congratulations!

Widget
    Figured I would update my Test Market collection . I just added AFA 80 Clear Man At Arms and 75 Y Mer-Man.

- - - Updated - - -

The Man at Arms was part of the Russell Branton collection ,however, I acquired it recently from a third party. I'm still searching for a Test Market Stratos . If anyone is willing to part with one I'm very interested. I also added this first edition Zodac without warranty. Although it has SKU numbers on the back of the card I consider it a first edition as I've yet to find proof that a non SKU version exists.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Fantastic scores man !
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Really great scores! These are the holy grails for MOC figures, IMO

I love these. A glimpse into that early, almost mysterious era of Mattel's initial MOTU rollout.

Do you think ALL eight Wave One MOTU figures in the U.S.A. were originally packaged on these 8-back "No SKUs/No Warranty" cards? Were these sold at retail?
    MOTU FAN since 1982

@padreshane, those are beautiful.
    Congrats

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I would still like to see the back of the card for a blue beard Stratos. I assume it would be like the examples here, but I would like to see to know for sure. I have seen a couple of examples of gray beard Stratos on this card.

Last edited by Lich Leech; October 3, 2019 at 02:26pm.

I would still like to see the back of the card for a blue beard Stratos. I assume it would be like the examples here, but I would like to see to know for sure. I have seen a couple of examples of gray beard Stratos on this card.

I have a family photo from Christmas Day 1982 featuring a ripped-open 8-back card clearly visible on the living room floor - it's fuzzy a picture, but distinct enough to see that it was the more common 3rd version with the Warranty. Given all your research for the blog, do you have any educated guesses as to the time period that these NO SKU/No Warranty 8-backs were circulated? Or are they a true mystery? I know you've talked about receiving your first figures for your birthday...any recollection what type of 8-backs those were? Hahaha
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    I have a family photo from Christmas Day 1982 featuring a ripped-open 8-back card clearly visible on the living room floor - it's fuzzy a picture, but distinct enough to see that it was the more common 3rd version with the Warranty. Given all your research for the blog, do you have any educated guesses as to the time period that these NO SKU/No Warranty 8-backs were circulated? Or are they a true mystery? I know you've talked about receiving your first figures for your birthday...any recollection what type of 8-backs those were? Hahaha
    Hmm, good questions. I don't know for sure what types of 8 backs I got as a kid (my birthday was in the fall). I do know that both my He-Man and Skeletor were very early versions, with all the characteristics of "first release" figures.

I believe MOTU arrived in stores March 1982. It may have been a matter of 3-4 months between each cardback type. A good way to track the types is to look at the "G" code on the back, at the bottom of the card. The very first cards don't have it. There is an 8 digit number on the bottom of the card - XXXX-0910-GX. The first four digits are the SKU number, the "G" is I believe a batch number. First cards have no G number, so I call them G0. Subsequent ones are G1, G2, G3, etc. G0 are the cards with no warranty and no description or SKU under the character names. G1 adds the description/SKU, and G2 adds the warranty number. Beyond that you start getting into 1983 and 1984 release figures. So my educated guess is 3-4 months between G0, G1, and G2, just based on the time frame before you start getting 1983 minicomics and/or the 12 back cards.

You can track the G codes all the way through to late releases. They also appear on Malaysia, Mexico and other releases.

Hmm, good questions. I don't know for sure what types of 8 backs I got as a kid (my birthday was in the fall). I do know that both my He-Man and Skeletor were very early versions, with all the characteristics of "first release" figures.

I believe MOTU arrived in stores March 1982. It may have been a matter of 3-4 months between each cardback type. A good way to track the types is to look at the "G" code on the back, at the bottom of the card. The very first cards don't have it. There is an 8 digit number on the bottom of the card - XXXX-0910-GX. The first four digits are the SKU number, the "G" is I believe a batch number. First cards have no G number, so I call them G0. Subsequent ones are G1, G2, G3, etc. G0 are the cards with no warranty and no description or SKU under the character names. G1 adds the description/SKU, and G2 adds the warranty number. Beyond that you start getting into 1983 and 1984 release figures. So my educated guess is 3-4 months between G0, G1, and G2, just based on the time frame before you start getting 1983 minicomics and/or the 12 back cards.

You can track the G codes all the way through to late releases. They also appear on Malaysia, Mexico and other releases.
    "G0" is an easier designation, that's for sure! I have a 12-back Skeletor that's a G3 (or fourth edition) and a G7 He-man, but nothing as rarified as those early 8-backs. The 3-4 month time span between re-issues makes sense. And then there's the matter of Teela, Mer-Man, Stratos, and Zodac arriving later in '82 - no surprise there are few examples on "G0" cards.

As far as the elusive Blue Beard Stratos "G0" cardback, wouldn't it be great if the Errol McCarthy artwork had a blue beard as well!!??
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    "G0" is an easier designation, that's for sure! I have a 12-back Skeletor that's a G3 (or fourth edition) and a G7 He-man, but nothing as rarified as those early 8-backs. The 3-4 month time span between re-issues makes sense. And then there's the matter of Teela, Mer-Man, Stratos, and Zodac arriving later in '82 - no surprise there are few examples on "G0" cards.

As far as the elusive Blue Beard Stratos "G0" cardback, wouldn't it be great if the Errol McCarthy artwork had a blue beard as well!!??
    I guess "Test Market" is the term that is more often used, which apparently is based on people speaking with former Mattel employees about it. But G0 helps me order my files better

I'm wondering if perhaps Teela and Zodac came late enough that G1 is the earliest card for them?

Re: cardback art - I couldn't resist doing a quick mockup of that.

Hahahaha - very nice! Wouldn't that make for a valuable cardback!

It'll be interesting to see what Pixel Dan and the Dark Horse team unearthed while putting together their ambitious MOTU Toy Guide - assuming they get as deep as the vintage cardbacks/figure variants.
    MOTU FAN since 1982