Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What qualifies as MOTU Classics # 300?

What qualifies as MOTU Classics # 300?

So this is a conversation that came up recently.
    What do YOU define as # 300 in the CC & CG lines that make up MOTU Classics?

Do you just go by just 7" figures?
    Or do you go by every item released?
    Or some sort of mix?

Is it by each packaged item released?
    or what's in the package (because we have things like 2 and 3-packs, and pack-in items)

Do you count each variant?
    Or just the first unique release?

Do side-kick pack-ins count? Or are they non-figures?

It's obviously a bit tricky as we have things like vehicles, and flight stands, as well as things like the DCUC vs MOTUC 2-packs where only one is a MOTU figure. Etc, etc.

So I'm looking for the popular opinion on what defines # 300 for MOTU Classics.
    I appreciate your input!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I count each item released, figures or vehicules and of course every variant, but I do not include stands though.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Heroic Warrior
    You say release, so I would say packaged item, whatever configuration it comes in.

If I had to choose a preferable milestone, I'd go with individual figure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think if you are stating it as the 300th "release," then it would include every item that has been released under the banner, including vehicles and weapons packs. I would say each release that included multiple items (like 2 or 3 figure packs, Kowl/Loo-Kee, vehicles that came with a figure, etc) would count as one release, regardless of the piece or figure count within it.

If you state it as 300th figure, then you shouldn't include beasts, vehicles, little pals or giants. It should just include the standard 7" figures, and in this case, each unique character would count as one. So, the Star Sisters and Fighting Foe Men would each count as 3, but Palace Guards, Horde Troopers, and Snake Men soldiers would each count as 1, despite different looks you can give them to make them each unique.

I will be very interested to see what, if any, kind of consensus you find on this, because it seems like there will be as many interpretations as there are releases in this line!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I count each item released, figures or vehicules and of course every variant, but I do not include stands though.
    How does packaging play into how you define all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    If I had to choose a preferable milestone, I'd go with individual figure.
    That's also up for debate, though... what size, type, etc? It can go a wide range on what qualifies as "individual figure"

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I will be very interested to see what, if any, kind of consensus you find on this, because it seems like there will be as many interpretations as there are releases in this line!
    You hit the nail on the head. That's where I'm also stuck. what qualifies as #300?
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Totally Dyslexic
    Normally i´m rather complicated myself but in this case i´d say every MOTUC item there is.

And i have to agree if it has to be more specific than every unique item. No re-releases and the package itself counts like the Rock Warriors or the Star Sisters counting as one package even tough there are multiple characters packaged.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I would have to call semantics on this. People won't say: "Oooh, Masters of The Universe Classics! That's that incredible toy line with 300-- ITEMS-- in it!" A milestone like that refers to the FIGURES involved. That would include each figure in every multi-pack and vehicle. And that would also mean that the Horde Trooper would be counted THREE times in this tally. :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

What qualifies as MOTU Classics # 300?

I think you have to count multipacks as one release. You can’t say Dawg-O-Tor is the 100th figure, for example.

You include releases with figures, and exclude releases without. So the Rotar with Skelcon can count, but the Wind Raider can’t. The weapons pack with Kowl can count, the weapons rack cannot.

This is going to cause an argument, but MOTUC and HMATMOTU are different lines with different names. Even if you call He-Man and the Masters of the Universe “MOTUC 2.0”, in keeping with the software version numbering metaphor, incrementing your major number usually indicates major structural changes that often break compatibility with earlier major versions, and that holds true here. HMATMOTU figures don’t count in the MOTUC tally any more than Thundercats Classics do.

If I may throw my opinion into the ring...

I've been working on my Unofficial MOTUC Collection Guide. (Shameless plug.) I've been giving each standalone MOTUC release a number, starting with King Grayskull at #001. Each subsequent release was given the next number in order, although there were a few things to note:

- The original "Spirit of King Grayskull" and "Bronze King Grayskull" were included as part of #001 and not given their own numbers. Chrome She-Ra was not given her own number either.
    - Regular Orko and color-change Orko shared the same number, as did regular He-Ro and SDCC He-Ro.
    - Two packs and multi-packs were only given one number, i.e., Roton and Skelcon both shared a number.
    - I included the Toys R Us MOTUC vs. DC two-packs in the sequence of releases. Each two-pack was given its own number.
    - I included Club Grayskull figures as part of MOTUC, not a separate line.
    - The only items I did not include in the numbering system were the two flight stands and the two wall-mount stands, as they weren't necessarily specific to MOTUC.
    - So each individual figure, 2-pack, 3-pack, vehicle, weapons pack, playset, beast, etc. all got their own number and counted as a single release. Basically, if it was released under the MOTUC banner, whatever came in a single package (box, blister, etc.) counted as a single number.

So, having said all that, I counted Stridor (the most recent MOTUC release I own) as #236. Chopper, Club Grayskull Spikor, and Dre-Elle/Uncle Montork will be #237-239. The soon-to-ship Club Grayskull figures (Sorceress, etc) and Collector's Choice figures (Karg, etc) will take us up to #247. The newly announced Club Grayskull figures (Fisto, etc) will take us up to #251. So, IMO, we're 49 releases away from MOTUC #300.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Any release that had the Masters of the Universe Classics logo on the package.

masters-of-the-universe-classics-logo_full.jpg

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    How does packaging play into how you define all of that?

I count every single item, for example star sisters are 3 items not only one, so package doesn't count so much.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I count every single item, for example star sisters are 3 items not only one, so package doesn't count so much.
    Yes, but if #300 fell on the Star Sisters, for instance, which of them is #300? Number by set is easier.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    If I may throw my opinion into the ring...

I've been working on my Unofficial MOTUC Collection Guide. (Shameless plug.) I've been giving each standalone MOTUC release a number, starting with King Grayskull at #001. Each subsequent release was given the next number in order, although there were a few things to note:

- The original "Spirit of King Grayskull" and "Bronze King Grayskull" were included as part of #001 and not given their own numbers. Chrome She-Ra was not given her own number either.
    - Regular Orko and color-change Orko shared the same number, as did regular He-Ro and SDCC He-Ro.
    - Two packs and multi-packs were only given one number, i.e., Roton and Skelcon both shared a number.
    - I included the Toys R Us MOTUC vs. DC two-packs in the sequence of releases. Each two-pack was given its own number.
    - I included Club Grayskull figures as part of MOTUC, not a separate line.
    - The only items I did not include in the numbering system were the two flight stands and the two wall-mount stands, as they weren't necessarily specific to MOTUC.
    - So each individual figure, 2-pack, 3-pack, vehicle, weapons pack, playset, beast, etc. all got their own number and counted as a single release. Basically, if it was released under the MOTUC banner, whatever came in a single package (box, blister, etc.) counted as a single number.

So, having said all that, I counted Stridor (the most recent MOTUC release I own) as #236. Chopper, Club Grayskull Spikor, and Dre-Elle/Uncle Montork will be #237-239. The soon-to-ship Club Grayskull figures (Sorceress, etc) and Collector's Choice figures (Karg, etc) will take us up to #247. The newly announced Club Grayskull figures (Fisto, etc) will take us up to #251. So, IMO, we're 49 releases away from MOTUC #300.
    I co-sign with this system.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Yes, but if #300 fell on the Star Sisters, for instance, which of them is #300? Number by set is easier.

I agree, it's easier counting per item released. Be it a single figure, set of figures, vehicle, play set, etc.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

There's a lot of great feedback thus far on what each of you feels qualifies as #300.

Thanks everyone, please keep it coming!
    I'd like to hear from as many of you as possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

That^

If it has "Masters of the Universe Classics" front and center on the packaging, and it was an official release or license of Mattel, then it was/is a MOTUC release in my book. Anything/everything else? Not. Specifically and ardently: absolutely not Club Grayskull.

As for numbering. Each such intentionally* distinct figure(s)+packaging combination counts as a #.
    That means, for instance:
    • +1 per package, regardless of the # of figures/vehicles contained within.
    • +1 per re-release and/or variant receiving distinguished packaging. So the original release of He-Man, and then the re-release with "Original" sticker, etc -- each is a +1. The same would apply, for instance, in cases where the packaging was the same, but the figure was intentionally different -- or -- it was intentionally differently packaged. For instance, each Queen Marlena variance in packaging is a +1 , each of the figure-variations of King Grayskull is a +1, etc.

* tl;dr: flukes don't count; or: to disclude things that are clear packaging and/or package-content errors and/or are within the bounds of minute per-run variances to what is an intentional member of the "exact same" release otherwise (qua "run of the factory" for any given specific release), etc.
    Last edited by The Timeless One; September 4, 2018 at 07:38pm.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

I would say whatever the 300th action figure produced is (I'm including variants, chases, etc., but not re-issues like when Mattel put out more Adoras with "THE ORIGINAL" burst on them or what-not).

I thought it was an easy answer until I realize there are so many options available. I would have said each sku or part number under MOTUC, but there are items like the stands or weapons pack that don't qualify as so IMHO.
    Also, I don't think that figures like Club Grayskull or Ultimate may be considered within the same line.

I think that the best opton would be each character, beast, vehicle and Castle Grayskull released under green brick design packaging. Even considering Horde Troopers 2-packs as 2 different figures.
    I wish it would be simplier.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

I take it 300 is coming soon? You mist have something in mind already if you are coming up on 300. For me I would keep it to figures. So yeah 300th figure would be neat. Would kind of anti climactic if 300 was something generic like a set of stands or a Stratos repaint.

I would expect 300 to be strategically planned out so it’s marketable as such.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Whatever #300 is, Club Grayskull doesn't count towards it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

You got that right!
    Last edited by Donimo; September 4, 2018 at 09:40pm.

Heroic Warrior
    LOVE this thread!!

I asked a question about the 300th figure in the Fan Q&A, so I'm stoked to see this topic!

As for what I think should count towards the 300th MOTUC, I say keep it as figures.

For instance:

3 packs like Fighting Foe Men = 3 figures as even Toy Guru back in the day said that they were counted as 3 SKU's, not one.

Pack-in figures like Imp and Kowl = These should be counted as a figure (IMHO), as much as Orko is counted as a figure. They're characters, so I think they should count.

Giants = Again, these are characters, so I think these should count in the number too.

Vehicles, playsets, weapons packs = I don't think these should be counted as they're not characters, but hey, just my opinion.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

I would say that each individual packaged item, originally released, counts as an entry.

For example, Roboto, with “The Original” on the packaging,doesn’t count as another new release.

Rokkon & Stonedar counts as one release.

Kowl & Loo-Kee counts as a release.

The weapons paks count as individual releases, as do the Grayskull stands, the snake mountain stands, etc.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I would say that each individual packaged item, originally released, counts as an entry.

For example, Roboto, with “The Original” on the packaging,doesn’t count as another new release.

Rokkon & Stonedar counts as one release.

Kowl & Loo-Kee counts as a release.

The weapons paks count as individual releases, as do the Grayskull stands, the snake mountain stands, etc.
    Would you count the original flight stands or the protective cases? Or the Keldor Power-Con sword?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    I take it 300 is coming soon? You mist have something in mind already if you are coming up on 300. For me I would keep it to figures. So yeah 300th figure would be neat. Would kind of anti climactic if 300 was something generic like a set of stands or a Stratos repaint.

I would expect 300 to be strategically planned out so it’s marketable as such.
    Oh yeah, totally agree with this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I would say whatever the 300th action figure produced is (I'm including variants, chases, etc., but not re-issues like when Mattel put out more Adoras with "THE ORIGINAL" burst on them or what-not).
    Yup, agree with this too.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Whatever #300 is, Club Grayskull doesn't count towards it.
    Before April, I would have probably agreed. But now there are two little problems with that tack.

Besides, getting to see Axel's linework for their (now aborted) Classics packaging cardback has confused me (and blurred the distinction between series) even more. If it had been that far along, then...

Probably would have owned some of it, too, if things hadn't skidded so sideways that weekend... *le sigh*

Guess I'll sit and wait and see how that wrinkle gets ironed out.

So for now, I'm solidly in the Wakko camp re: numbering.
    • HARMONY IS THE KEY LOVE IS THE LAW
    • Who weeps for Trolla? I DO.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

MOTUC ended with Matty. SUPER7s figures aren't even a fraction of the quality, so in my mind it won't hit 300 because its over. I'm sure I'm a minority in that thought.

Other than that, I think you have to count every variant and creature. You have to count the KG variants. The TRU Mer-man that's one. Star Sisters 1,2,3, counting from left to right. Same as the Powercon 3 packs. Stridor and NS count too, etc. Every single figure should be counted that was different on purpose, not the difference of like red eyes He-man, open hand Skelly, prob not flocked ears MM.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk