Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 121

Thread: What qualifies as MOTU Classics # 300?

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    housewares
    Posts
    3,145
    My criteria:

    1) Gotta have the classics logo. I know there are people who count Club Grayskull, or He-man and the Masters of the Universe, or "Classics 2.0", but to me if it doesn't have the classics logo, it isn't classics.
    2) I would then count named/titled items and named variants. For example, He-Man and Battle Armour He-Man count as 2, but Moss-Man with flocked ears and without flocked ears count as 1, all the He-Ro variants count as 1.
    3) If a character came with alternate heads or extra heads were made for them, it's a bit of a case by case situation:
    Kronis/Trap-Jaw... to me that's 2.
    General Sundar came with 3 extra Horde Trooper type heads... I got extra Troopers and consider then somewhat unique, so I would count them for a total of 5 Horde Trooper (those 3, regular, battle damaged).
    I don't count all of the extra heads in the head pack as separate characters.
    I would count palace guards as 4
    4) I would count named pack ins individually (kowl, Prince Adam, etc), but hover robots as 1
    5) I would not count rereleases that didn't have a meaningful change (e.g. rereleasing things with the original sticker).
    Last edited by ash; September 5, 2018 at 12:11am.

  2. #27
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,476
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    1) Gotta have the classics logo. I know there are people who count Club Grayskull, or He-man and the Masters of the Universe, or "Classics 2.0", but to me if it doesn't have the classics logo, it isn't classics.
    Well... there is this.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    MOTUC ended with Matty. SUPER7s figures aren't even a fraction of the quality, so in my mind it won't hit 300 because its over. I'm sure I'm a minority in that thought.

    Other than that, I think you have to count every variant and creature. You have to count the KG variants. The TRU Mer-man that's one. Star Sisters 1,2,3, counting from left to right. Same as the Powercon 3 packs. Stridor and NS count too, etc. Every single figure should be counted that was different on purpose, not the difference of like red eyes He-man, open hand Skelly, prob not flocked ears MM.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Super7 product doesn't count, but include Stridor? Um....

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  4. #29
    Mix 'n' Match Monger wallbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    1,856
    How far are we from potentially hitting 300?
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

    dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

  5. #30
    Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Ohohohohohoho! (In my shortsighted haste, I certainly failed to notice that little detail... and apparently, so did everyone else!

    You did that on purpose, dincha? And cue the cries of "NOT FRONT N CENTER, DUDN'T COUNT" in 3... 2...
    • HARMONY IS THE KEY LOVE IS THE LAW
    • Who weeps for Trolla? I DO.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

  6. #31
    Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,468
    My opinion: Each release counts as 1. Even if there are multiple characters because I look at the item as a set. So if it's the Star Sisters, it is still 1 because without each figure included it is not a complete set. Same with Troopers, Guards, etc. This comes from my MOC/MIB mentality. It makes counting easier for me.
    I will say specific items that were not available to everyone like the large blow up sword, Imp's SDCC treasure chest, Keldor's swords, ect, should not count as they were special items, limited to those who attended the convention. However, if an item was/is a convention exclusive and was available after for purchase or before for pre-order, it counts.
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edback-Thread!

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    housewares
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    Ohohohohohoho! (In my shortsighted haste, I certainly failed to notice that little detail... and apparently, so did everyone else!

    You did that on purpose, dincha? And cue the cries of "NOT FRONT N CENTER, DUDN'T COUNT" in 3... 2...
    1....

    This thread started out as a question of "how would you count". In my opinion, that logo is just an attempt to retcon the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe figures into Classics. Show me a similar logo on the first 7 figures released by Mattel. If they were meant to be the same line, I'd think the first figures in the line would be branded at least remotely the same way. Since they weren't, I personally wouldn't count them together with the Masters of the Universe Classics, because it's both a different logo AND the main brand logo on the package is still He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. If some people want to treat them as the same line, good for them.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior felgekarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sheffield, UK.
    Posts
    1,209
    I would still say you count each individual release rather than figure but not the grayskull stuff, when we get 300 releases in that line we can celebrate that as well.

  9. #34
    Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    713

    What qualifies as MOTU Classics # 300?

    Each non “club Grayskull” packaged release containing a 7” figure or oversized figure. Note that this includes Roton, Talon Fighter, and Battle Ram but not Castle Grayskull. 2 & 3 packs count as 1.

    Different iterations of the same character count, but not re-releases nor variants (sdcc Orko and moss man don’t count as separate).

    Edit: yeah basically what Wakko said except club Grayskull is its own thing.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Streamside; September 5, 2018 at 09:15am.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

  10. #35
    Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Yes, but if #300 fell on the Star Sisters, for instance, which of them is #300? Number by set is easier.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    But when you have in hands jet sled and sky high you only count 1 item ?

    The last year powercon pack with prince adam stratos and trap jaw is 1 item for you ?

    That is the reason that I cannot consider 1 packed item is 1 item if that is a multipack.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

    >>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

    $$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

  11. #36
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,374
    Thinking more about this, I think if you were to say multi-packs were counted as 1 item, then I suppose whatever this celebratory item would be could be monikered something like "300th Release!" with the burst logo, which would cover the bases- it's the 300th item released for MOTUC, but isn't specific to figure, vehicle, playset, whatever. Haven't we surpassed this milestone already though, if EVERYTHING were to be counted?

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior Greenskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    If I may throw my opinion into the ring...

    I've been working on my Unofficial MOTUC Collection Guide. (Shameless plug.) I've been giving each standalone MOTUC release a number, starting with King Grayskull at #001. Each subsequent release was given the next number in order, although there were a few things to note:

    - The original "Spirit of King Grayskull" and "Bronze King Grayskull" were included as part of #001 and not given their own numbers. Chrome She-Ra was not given her own number either.
    - Regular Orko and color-change Orko shared the same number, as did regular He-Ro and SDCC He-Ro.
    - Two packs and multi-packs were only given one number, i.e., Roton and Skelcon both shared a number.
    - I included the Toys R Us MOTUC vs. DC two-packs in the sequence of releases. Each two-pack was given its own number.
    - I included Club Grayskull figures as part of MOTUC, not a separate line.
    - The only items I did not include in the numbering system were the two flight stands and the two wall-mount stands, as they weren't necessarily specific to MOTUC.
    - So each individual figure, 2-pack, 3-pack, vehicle, weapons pack, playset, beast, etc. all got their own number and counted as a single release. Basically, if it was released under the MOTUC banner, whatever came in a single package (box, blister, etc.) counted as a single number.

    So, having said all that, I counted Stridor (the most recent MOTUC release I own) as #236. Chopper, Club Grayskull Spikor, and Dre-Elle/Uncle Montork will be #237-239. The soon-to-ship Club Grayskull figures (Sorceress, etc) and Collector's Choice figures (Karg, etc) will take us up to #247. The newly announced Club Grayskull figures (Fisto, etc) will take us up to #251. So, IMO, we're 49 releases away from MOTUC #300.
    I would have to agree with Wakko.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

    Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

  13. #38
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,374
    What Wakko spelled out makes the most sense!

  14. #39
    Court Magician NeilJam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    39
    As others have asked, #300 what? Semantics are important, a measurement without units is meaningless. 300th item? figure? character? Each could incur different rules for inclusion/exclusion. For 300th character each head might count, but superfluous heads without bodies can't be counted if you're looking for how many figures have been made.

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Nianotreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Posts
    752
    Curious as to why #300 is of interest? (never mind, just saw Abaddon said they asked it in a Q&A) I did start something a while back upto 130ish which doesnt help with the answer of #300 but could give different opinions over "what is a 'item'"

    My key to this is If you count everything that was released as a single entity Snakemen soldiers were #100 if you dont count beasts then remove 1 place for each beast eg (purple text) Battle Cat/Shadow Beast/Panthor/SwiftWind/Griffyn/Granymyr (-6) = Eternos Palace Randor is #100. But then you not feel variants count so remove 22 places = Mantenna #100. You could also add a place for 2-packs, on my list counted as 1 but Palace Guards are either 2 (2 bodies) or 4 (4 heads) though Cringer is listed as his own figure with Queen M. anyway using this system you can at least work out who/what #100 was in your eyes

    100.png
    Last edited by Nianotreve; September 5, 2018 at 09:50am.
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,733
    If the eventual plan is to do a celebratory "300th" release/figure, it's going to be very hard to convince everyone that it is, in fact, worthy of the "300th" marker.

    Basically, I think there are only two ways to do it:
    - Celebrate the release of the 300th figure, based on actual figures released. (This would include all regular figures and their variants, giants, beasts/steeds, and smaller named figures like Loo-Kee and Kowl, but exclude things like Kobra Khan's pet, vehicles and playsets.) So releases like the Star Sisters would count as 3.
    - Celebrate the release of the 300th item, based on package count. To me, this is the easiest way to go. Ask yourself, "How many individual purchases would a collector have to make in order to have a complete MOTUC collection?" (Exceptions would be impossible rarities like Bronze King Grayskull and non-packaged items like Treasure Chest Imp and Keldor's sword.)

    The biggest monkey wrench in either of the above approaches is whether Club Grayskull qualifies as part of the count. I think it does, but understand why others think it doesn't. One strong argument as to why I think it should count is the fact that some Club Grayskull figures have come with non-FILMation accessories — like Tri-Klops' cardback sword — that are clearly meant to go to a MOTUC figure.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

  17. #42
    Widget lancepeirce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    If I may throw my opinion into the ring...

    I've been working on my Unofficial MOTUC Collection Guide. (Shameless plug.) I've been giving each standalone MOTUC release a number, starting with King Grayskull at #001. Each subsequent release was given the next number in order, although there were a few things to note:

    - The original "Spirit of King Grayskull" and "Bronze King Grayskull" were included as part of #001 and not given their own numbers. Chrome She-Ra was not given her own number either.
    - Regular Orko and color-change Orko shared the same number, as did regular He-Ro and SDCC He-Ro.
    - Two packs and multi-packs were only given one number, i.e., Roton and Skelcon both shared a number.
    - I included the Toys R Us MOTUC vs. DC two-packs in the sequence of releases. Each two-pack was given its own number.
    - I included Club Grayskull figures as part of MOTUC, not a separate line.
    - The only items I did not include in the numbering system were the two flight stands and the two wall-mount stands, as they weren't necessarily specific to MOTUC.
    - So each individual figure, 2-pack, 3-pack, vehicle, weapons pack, playset, beast, etc. all got their own number and counted as a single release. Basically, if it was released under the MOTUC banner, whatever came in a single package (box, blister, etc.) counted as a single number.

    So, having said all that, I counted Stridor (the most recent MOTUC release I own) as #236. Chopper, Club Grayskull Spikor, and Dre-Elle/Uncle Montork will be #237-239. The soon-to-ship Club Grayskull figures (Sorceress, etc) and Collector's Choice figures (Karg, etc) will take us up to #247. The newly announced Club Grayskull figures (Fisto, etc) will take us up to #251. So, IMO, we're 49 releases away from MOTUC #300.
    This makes sense to me.
    LTS

    Top 5 Wish-list= Lady Slither, Mallek, Kothos, Gladiator,Complete NA

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Super7 product doesn't count, but include Stridor? Um....

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Well if you paid attention, I said MOTUC ended with Matty to me so it wouldn't hit 300. But clearly they are counting super7, as to my advice on how to count would include Stridor. Don't act like reading comprehension is hard, just to act snarky.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior Seril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    999
    Personally I'd count all CC and CG figures. I also count all individual figures, pack in figures included. Pretty much any named character. So Kowl, Orko, Imp, Broom, etc... are all figures to me. Star Sisters count as three. I don't count Kobra Kahn's or Fangor's little snake buddies since they really don't have names and wouldn't have a bio of any sort. Both Kowls are different figures. Re-releases are not since they're the same.

    Just my opinion on it.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

    One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

    www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

  20. #45
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,476
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    1....

    This thread started out as a question of "how would you count". In my opinion, that logo is just an attempt to retcon the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe figures into Classics. Show me a similar logo on the first 7 figures released by Mattel. If they were meant to be the same line, I'd think the first figures in the line would be branded at least remotely the same way. Since they weren't, I personally wouldn't count them together with the Masters of the Universe Classics, because it's both a different logo AND the main brand logo on the package is still He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. If some people want to treat them as the same line, good for them.
    I understand your passion about your stance, but there's really no's reason to hold onto that position any more. Obviously you can if you want! But IMO, it's time to accept, even if it's begrudgingly.


    • The logo is there now
    • The CG line was first introduced to us as Classics 2.0
    • MOTUC kept the previous packaging but added the CC subtitle to help show that it was a sister product to CG
    • Brandon at Mattel, Eric at the 4H, and Super7 all agree CG is a part of Classics, despite the difference in packaging
    • many fans always felt or have accepted that CG is part of MOTUC

    When it's all added up, CC and CG are all part of the same master line.
    So I feel CG should be considered by everyone when determining one's # 300. But if people still don't, they don't have to. Like you said, the point of the thread is how the individual defines # 300.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I understand your passion about your stance, but there's really no's reason to hold onto that position any more. Obviously you can if you want! But IMO, it's time to accept, even if it's begrudgingly.


    • The logo is there now
    • The CG line was first introduced to us as Classics 2.0
    • MOTUC kept the previous packaging but added the CC subtitle to help show that it was a sister product to CG
    • Brandon at Mattel, Eric at the 4H, and Super7 all agree CG is a part of Classics, despite the difference in packaging
    • many fans always felt or have accepted that CG is part of MOTUC

    When it's all added up, CC and CG are all part of the same master line.
    So I feel CG should be considered by everyone when determining one's # 300. But if people still don't, they don't have to. Like you said, the point of the thread is how the individual defines # 300.
    All valid points, Val, but they're still different! Different boxes, different names, different styles... If they were really meant to have been the same they just would have carried on releasing figures in Classics packaging, not made a big deal of the Filmation look.

    As for the original question, I think the easiest answer is '300 Classics figures'. Otherwise you have to count three weapons packs, the weapons rack, and even several types of figure stands. Would Point Dread, Talon Fighter and Ugly Teela be one, two or three? Best to keep it simple.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  22. #47
    Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I understand your passion about your stance, but there's really no's reason to hold onto that position any more..
    You articulate great reasons why you think otherwise, Val, but if this thread about individual opinions, let’s not tell people that their opinions are unwarranted.

    I can simply offer counterpoints, for the sake of argument, to easily come up with reasons:

    • The logo wasn’t always there.
    • The CG line was first introduced to us as Classics 2.0, which denotes a departure from Classics 1.0
    • MOTUC kept the previous packaging into collector’s choice, but CG uses new packaging and a new logo.
    • Brandon at Mattel, Eric at the 4H, and Super7 do not dictate how these products are received by collectors.
    • many fans always felt or have accepted that CG is distinct from classics.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior jackstatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    885
    If you are counting figures released you count all unique versions of an individual figure, i.e. He-Man and Battle Armor He-Man are both counted but you do not count the DCvMoTU 2 pack or "The Original" Blurb He-Man, you do include beasts but do not include vehicles or play sets 3 Packs like the star sisters or fighting foe men count as 3 figures but a 3 pack like Vykron only counts as 1. Troop Builders are 1 figure. You do not count variants of color or minor production change Like Clear Orko or SDCC He-Ro are not counted as a separate figure. (Variants, production changes and re-releases are not new figures in any way shape or form) I am hesitant to count the ultimate versions as new figures because (except for ram man) they all come with a significant amount more items, enough to make them new figures, but all of the items have for the most part been previously released. (Original Toy Faker head may be enough to make him a new figure)

    What I would count, and is easier to fine tune, would be items released.

    In this manner you count all items that received a release in 1 package, this includes sub lines, vehicles, weapon packs, play sets. But not re-releases or variants, those can get a foot note but are not a new release, even if the change is cosmetic or slightly altering the mold or whatever. I WOULD consider the DCvMoTU releases as their own sub line and thus get an item release number, same with Club Grayskull, The Ultimates, the 30th Anniversary, etc etc etc. Marlena, Vykron, He-Ro, Orko do not get 2 item release counts since those are simply variants. "The Original" re-releases do not get an item release count number because they are re-releases in the same line in the same packaging. This can get foot notes.

    Thats just how I would do it, some here seem to have very similar methodology to this, others not so much. Obviously some won't agree with this, some will consider every item released as its own thing. Some won't consider CG as part of the CC banner while others don't consider Super 7 as official MoTUC. (I do)

    Interesting to see how this goes or what it's for. Or if its just a conversational piece.

    Hopefully this line continues past 300 items released
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

    I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Well if you paid attention, I said MOTUC ended with Matty to me so it wouldn't hit 300. But clearly they are counting super7, as to my advice on how to count would include Stridor. Don't act like reading comprehension is hard, just to act snarky.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    So salty

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

    Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    But when you have in hands jet sled and sky high you only count 1 item ?

    The last year powercon pack with prince adam stratos and trap jaw is 1 item for you ?

    That is the reason that I cannot consider 1 packed item is 1 item if that is a multipack.
    That's correct :-)

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  25. #50
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    You articulate great reasons why you think otherwise, Val, but if this thread about individual opinions, let’s not tell people that their opinions are unwarranted.
    I never said anything about opinions and lack of justification. If you're going to paraphrase, Jacob, I humbly request you do it more accurately. Contrary to what some people out there believe (not including you), I really am not here to rain on anyone's parade.


    No one has to change their opinion that CG is not part of Classics, and I feel I made that clear. But CG is officially considered part of Classics and will be considered as part of whatever factor(s) constitutes # 300, in case anyone wants to alter their stance. No one has to, but it's food for thought.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •