Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    You are asking for a miracle that no being, no matter how powerful, could possibly fulfill.

As for the movie, I saw it tonight. It was pretty good. Not one of the best MCU films, but still very entertaining. It was a flood of 90s nostalgia, especially the music. I LOVED Stan Lee's cameo in this and the reference that happens in it. I also enjoyed
    One can dream right?

Note to self. Need to schedule when i can finally watch this in theaters.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Saw it yesterday morning and I actually REALLY liked it. I went in with low expectations but I came out fully entertained. Despite my personal thoughts on Larson, I thought she was excellent. I even enjoyed the major things they changed. It was a fresh change that I actually enjoyed. Even the Skrull stuff I enjoyed and this is coming from a hardcore FF fan.

I only really had a few pet peeves that bothered me. First, I kept thing throughout the movie why didn't Fury use the beeper when Loki attacked NY? It just seemed so ludicrous that the MCU would leave such a huge plot hole. Granted I know WHY, since they didn't plan on a CM movie back then, but I thought it would be addressed somewhere in the movie. Second, I dodn't remember anywhere in the film where she or anyone else calls Carol "Captain Marvel." I figured at the end Carol or the little girl would throw out a line like "call me..." While the 90's jokes were funny, I thought they kinda got worse as the movie went on. I kept hearing people asking others why they were laughing. The jokes were missed by a large portion of the audience in my theater.

I'd also like to say how much I enjoyed Jude Law and Jackson in this. I thought both was great. Lee Pace needed more screen time IMO. He's such a great actor that I wanted more out of him.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I saw the movie yesterday and while definitely not perfect, I thought it was a good movie. It has the problems of an origin movie (a lot of backstory info needed to be relayed within a 2 hour time constraint along with plot/character development/etc.) but was still entertaining. I thought they overdid the 90's song infusions (just like Suicide Squad) and the Captain Marvel fight scene at the beginning of movie was hard to follow. But those gripes aside, I enjoyed the movie.

The switch of having the Skrulls as empathetic individuals rather than conqueror villains as they are always portrayed in the comics was a surprise to me. I wonder how they will follow through on this in future MCU movies (or if they even will). The Kree have always been portrayed as arrogant who look upon humans as inferior and not worthy of respectful recognition so that part was in line with the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead
    First, I kept thing throughout the movie why didn't Fury use the beeper when Loki attacked NY? It just seemed so ludicrous that the MCU would leave such a huge plot hole.
    Well, it's not really a plot hole. Nick Fury was always confident that The Avengers could handle the alien invasion. He even said so in the first movie when the world council ordered him to launch the nuclear missile at New York City. He chose to ignore the order because he felt that the Avengers could hold the aliens and Loki back.

Captain Marvel pager is a last resort call for help as Captain Marvel implies when she gives it to Nick Fury.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well, it's not really a plot hole. Nick Fury was always confident that The Avengers could handle the alien invasion. He even said so in the first movie when the world council ordered him to launch the nuclear missile at New York City. He chose to ignore the order because he felt that the Avengers could hold the aliens and Loki back.

Captain Marvel pager is a last resort call for help as Captain Marvel implies when she gives it to Nick Fury.
    I'll respectfully disagree with you. Considering the circumstances they faced as the portal widen, and Fury not knowing the whereabouts of Banner and Thor at that point in the movie, it's ludicrous that he wouldn't use. For all he knew Thor was Hulk both were dead after being flung from the helicarrier. It's still a plot hole or let's say it's a Marvel No-Prize.

Also my friend pointed out something:

Fury says he can't eat toast when cut diagonally, yet in AOU he's seen cutting a sandwich diagonally. Now granted toast and sandwiches aren't identical but it makes you think.

Skrull Fury in AOU???

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I have a feeling this might be Marvel Studios's first box office flop just like Pixar had their first one being Good Dinosaur was.
    That'd be a "nope!":https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...obally-1193585

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Saw it yesterday morning and I actually REALLY liked it. I went in with low expectations but I came out fully entertained. Despite my personal thoughts on Larson, I thought she was excellent. I even enjoyed the major things they changed. It was a fresh change that I actually enjoyed. Even the Skrull stuff I enjoyed and this is coming from a hardcore FF fan.

I only really had a few pet peeves that bothered me. First, I kept thing throughout the movie why didn't Fury use the beeper when Loki attacked NY? It just seemed so ludicrous that the MCU would leave such a huge plot hole. Granted I know WHY, since they didn't plan on a CM movie back then, but I thought it would be addressed somewhere in the movie. Second, I dodn't remember anywhere in the film where she or anyone else calls Carol "Captain Marvel." I figured at the end Carol or the little girl would throw out a line like "call me..." While the 90's jokes were funny, I thought they kinda got worse as the movie went on. I kept hearing people asking others why they were laughing. The jokes were missed by a large portion of the audience in my theater.

I'd also like to say how much I enjoyed Jude Law and Jackson in this. I thought both was great. Lee Pace needed more screen time IMO. He's such a great actor that I wanted more out of him.
    You know how many people on youtube etc. that are "reviewers" that had/have know idea who Carol Danvers was and didn't actually spend 5-10 minutes googling it? And yes she is that strong look at the books or when she was on the Avengers cartoon as Ms. Marvel she was kicking ass...fact!

People just do not like Brie Larson and wanted Emily Blunt (Get over it already!) so because of that along with other things they got the pitchforks and torches out and wanted to roast her...

Let me she was: Ms.Marvel/Binary/Warbird/Captain Marvel and I knew that but guess what happened when I googled it? FACTS! And no feminist movement here I think there was more of that in Wonder Woman then Captain Marvel...but I digress people only see what they want to see...

My only MINOR gripes would be:

They Changed Mar-Vel to a female
    and

they had the skrulls as the "good guys"
    cool thing is we se

Monica Rambeau maybe Photon in the future?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by HarryCanyon
    I have a feeling this might be Marvel Studios's first box office flop just like Pixar had their first one being Good Dinosaur was.
    See it's people like him that have to throw fuel on the fire....Wow!
    Last edited by Megalodon; March 10, 2019 at 06:44pm.

Oh, I thought this was a thread about the real Captain Marvel movie coming out next month!
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I'll respectfully disagree with you. Considering the circumstances they faced as the portal widen, and Fury not knowing the whereabouts of Banner and Thor at that point in the movie, it's ludicrous that he wouldn't use. For all he knew Thor was Hulk both were dead after being flung from the helicarrier.

Except for that fact that Fury was communicating with Tony Stark during the battle and, by that extent, with the other members of the team. Fury was the one who tipped off Tony Stark about the incoming nuclear missile. And we know that the Avengers were communicating amongst each other via their ear pieces. So Fury would have been aware of the presence of Thor and Hulk on the battlefield, especially since they were watching news coverage of the event on the Helicarrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead
    It's still a plot hole or let's say it's a Marvel No-Prize.
    That's fine if you wish to believe that. But the video below (starting at 1:14) shows that Nick Fury felt the Avengers could contain the situation on their own...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Except for that fact that Fury was communicating with Tony Stark during the battle and, by that extent, with the other members of the team.
    I'm talking about the time before Thor and Banner show up and all 6 of them come together. At that point Fury was faced with the point that he had 2 humans, Cap, and Iron Man to face of against an entire alien invasion led by an Asguardian god. It's still ludicrous.

That's fine if you wish to believe that. But the video below (starting at 1:14) shows that Nick Fury felt the Avengers could contain the situation on their own...
    Well what would he say at that point? What was his alternative? He clearly said that to try to convince the council members not to kill the millions of innocents in NY. Do you think Fury would say "OK. Kill millions. I'm cool with that. Screw the Avengers." That would be completely out of character. If you wanna believe it makes sense, fine. I don't and I'll leave it at that.

Saw the movie. Enjoyed it. They streamline a number of things from the 40+ years of history so that she has a lot od the pros/cons of the comic character even though it doesn't come about the same way.

for example, she ends up with memory loss and years on earth taken away from her, but neither how they happened in the comics

I saw it and liked it a lot. Carol and Fury have a nice chemistry, Talos was great, Marie and Monica Rambeau were cool, and Carol's powers are awesome--but

if she's empowered by an Infinity Stone, then she's not really that much of a game changer against someone wielding all six stones, is she? I mean she's not any more than Wanda was, not that we fully tapped in to Wanda's potential either. Good thing we know Carol survived the snap by the end of this movie! I'd guess that's just luck though, not because CM was too powerful for the snap.

That said, I felt that the approach to this origin was kind of more involved and complicated than it could have been. If Carol is a lot like Steve Rogers, then her life before she was changed got way less screen time and attention than Rogers’ did. This was like starting Captain America with him working for the HYDRA-controlled SHIELD in Winter Soldier, but also suffering from the same amnesia as Bucky did. I got that the basic idea was pretty similar to Rogers’ “I can do this all day” moment, but there’s no single thing as iconic as that working here. Maybe the shots of her always getting up? That felt like it was invented in the editing room to unify the theme in the absence of a scene. They gave us very little of her bond with Mar-Vell as well. This is being called an origin movie but to me it resembled a sequel that recaps highlights of the origin story instead. We were told more than shown that Mar-Vell and Carol's bond was important. The mystery box approach meant we got only the briefest insights into Mar-Vell's motives which helped inform Carol's (a dressed up generic fight to stop the fighting). Compared to the scenes for Dr. Erskine in Captain America, or even Yinsen in the first Iron Man, Mar-Vell was underdeveloped, probably because we don’t have context for what motivates an alien vs humans scientist suffering in a war. I hope a sequel can remedy that because nothing was ruined here, it just felt short-changed.

We also got glimpses of Carol's father and brother, but I never caught why they were such non-entities in her search for her past. Was there a line explaining they’d died before she moved in with the Rambeaus? I assume, as in the comics, beloved brother is dead and her dad was a jerk who drove her away. Seeing a family isn't essential to every hero of course. It was important to Tony Stark and T'Challa, but I don't recall ever seeing Steve Rogers' or Bruce Banners' parents in the MCU. However, since we DID see flashes of the Danvers in the puzzle of Carol's past, I’d have liked more closure. As it is now, the ambiguity led to some confusion, I found. My friend thought not only was the father dismissive of Carol but the brother was probably a bad guy too (and this for her explained why Carol didn't seek out what happened to him), while my impression was Carol idolized her big brother and then became to Monica what he had been to her. I don’t want to put male characters at the center of Carol’s identity, but it felt like a lot got left on the cutting room floor. Given that I thought they didn’t do enough with Mar-Vell, maybe the Danvers had to be cut down so that they didn’t crowd out Mar-Vell.

Also, I own a cat, but I think Goose has been way overhyped. He's not a scene-stealer for me, not like say Rocket Raccoon. He was great in the scenes that were given to him though.

I admit I was disappointed by the Kree war elements of the movie. Lee Pace's Ronan really has been wasted. I was hoping for a bigger show down, and hope we’ll still get one in a sequel because there are more dots to connect between this and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm curious if a Silver Surfer origin movie will

better establish the Skrull's more powerful empire before whatever catastrophe destroyed their planet and made them into refugee scavengers (Galactus?)
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Watched it yesterday and thought it was a pretty good movie. My main complaints all stem from changes they made and 1 major thing that really bothers me. I'd still recommend people see it in theaters unless you're a hardcore fan of the original story line.

They did enough in my mind to somewhat justify some of the "feminism" talk surrounding the movie. If it hadn't been pointed out before hand and you didn't know the story from the comics you wouldn't notice it at all though.

My thoughts with spoilers:

Brie Larson IMO didn't do that great of a job. She maintains the same face for nearly 75% of the movie. I think of actors really portraying emotion through expression and hers didn't really do it for me. There were times were the rest of her body did a better job expressing emotion than her closed mouth, semi smirk, with non-eye contact, facial expression did. Some of her lines came off kinda lame to me, like she herself could have done a better job with a few more takes. I can safely say she's one of my least favorite castings in a Marvel movie so far. Was she awful? No. She just didn't have that appeal. Maybe it's because where with most of the other Marvel characters, we see them open up emotionally and at their worst, while she's a closed book emotionally. And it doesn't help that all of hardships she's faced in life come from outside (men) sources.

Fury does NOT live up to his name in this movie. He plays some other character that's overly relaxed in a situation where he meets aliens and travels into outer space all in a span of a few days. How he lost his eye is silly. For the character he played, he played it well though. He was not my cup of tea.

I'd already heard, and watching confirmed, that she was going to be the most powerful Avenger. I don't mind full powered characters but wonder why she gets full power while others do not. At first I thought, hey this isn't so bad. She has energy blast and flight and a degree of superhuman strength. That's cool. But then she flies through a giant spaceship destroying it in the process and comes out the other side none the worse. I'm scared (for myself) that she's going to ruin Endgame by playing too big of a role. I wish she were a better fit for the team rather than being a stand alone.

This movie ruined my theory for what was to come after endgame I'm OK with that though.

Also, this movie, for me, was the least humorous Marvel movie I've seen. I had a really old guy that laughed liked Dracula the entire movie that thought different. I got more tickled at him laughing so hard at some of the lame humor because he was the only one in the entire packed theater laughing. Blockbuster?!?! Ahh, ahh, ahh!! Flannel is grunge?!? Ahh, ahh, ahhhh!!!!
    Last edited by Dice; March 11, 2019 at 09:17am.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

Heroic Warrior
    So, why alienate more than half your viewers with poisonous BS Femenist talk if it's hardly in the movie?

something isn't adding up here, unless disney has completely lost it's miggles.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    So, why alienate more than half your viewers with poisonous BS Femenist talk if it's hardly in the movie?

Or people on the Internet are reading what they want to see in statements being made to fit preconceived notions they have.

Controversy causes people to talk.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

There wasn't really any feminism in the movie as much as reverse male bashing.

She's a little girl and crashes her go cart. Dad yells at her and berates her. Reality stone! Activate! Dad's are actually highly protective of their little girls. Many would be more worried for her safety and whether or not she was hurt than would yell at her.

She's a really young girl on beach and someone pushes her down in the sand. Reality Stone! Activate! Some little boy's tail would have gotten blistered to high heck and back either by their own mother or father. I don't know of this movie reality where little girls are knocked around and everyone is OK with that.

Playing middle school level baseball and pitcher tries to bean her IN THE HEAD. Realit...never mind, holy freaking heck would have gone down. Most coaches I know would have run onto that mound and pulled their OWN player while chewing his butt. At the very least the umpire would have thrown that kid out of the game.

And man, are Air Force guys a-holes. Wait, I know a lot of Air Force guys and they aren't like that at all.

So yeah, in Captain Marvel's reality many men/boys are pretty sorry individuals.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

Heroic Warrior
    wouldn't male bashing count as feminism? that's pretty much all it is these days. and pretty much all feigbusters did.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Except I would argue none of those are male bashing since they're not done by the only males in the film. What they represent are characters who tried to keep Carol from achieving what she wanted, and she ignored them and kept things moving.

Fury, Colson and some spoiler types represent positive male types.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    Except I would argue none of those are male bashing
    What would you call that then? I mean it seems to be a running theme in her life.

Couldn't there have been scenes where someone that tries to keep her from her achievements is female? Was there a reason only males were used? The Air Force guys were portrayed as kinda awful. The boy in the baseball game doesn't like a girl playing so he tries to hurt her? And all the people in charge just let this crummy stuff happen to her?

To me, one male doing the dishes isn't enough to balance the negativity out.

Except I would argue none of those are male bashing since they're not done by the only males in the film. What they represent are characters who tried to keep Carol from achieving what she wanted, and she ignored them and kept things moving.

Fury, Colson and some spoiler types represent positive male types.
    Right, it's not a zero sum game where females can only be empowered by depowering males. I feel like people insisting that's what it is are just trying to delegitimize the empowerment without even thinking about it. The guys in the movie are not all bad, and in fact not all the women are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Couldn't there have been scenes where someone that tries to keep her from her achievements is female?
    They did though. In fact

By having Benning appear as the Supreme Intelligence they immediately stepped away from an easy patriarchy villain. Instead it was an oppressive authority who reappropriates the likeness of one's own values just to manipulate them. Then of course Minerva was pretty solidly wicked and hated Vers just for existing.

I don't think the movie, in the scenes presented, actually villainized Carol's father either. His one scene wasn't even about him so much as to show she'd always been striving to do more than she was told she could or should do. That's not automatically as binary as dad=bad, just that it fit a pattern she was resisting. He could be bad, but the movie really doesn't give enough to support that it's making him out that way.

As far as the pilot and the kid at the baseball game, that stuff happens in the real world and no one does anything. Getting shoved down in kids' sports is a pretty universal image, I'd think that should have been something for even guys to relate to rather than complain. We also didn't see fall out from any of those encounters, so you don't know that no one didn't speak up for her ever. It was about the psychological oppression though, so showing that would only mess up the point (and plenty of memories work that way, I don't see how it's bad to show it here since it was all in her memory).
    Last edited by gbagok; March 11, 2019 at 12:22pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

You don't have to bash every male in the world to be considered "male bashing". And as I said before it wasn't really "male bashing" but reverse male bashing.

"By having Benning appear as the Supreme Intelligence"...wasn't the supreme intelligence to appear as someone you most respect, amdire, or adoration for? Technically Benning's character was as Mar-Vell, not the supreme intelligence. And Minerva's big thing she did to Carol was "not hang out with her".

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    As far as the pilot and the kid at the baseball game, that stuff happens in the real world and no one does anything.
    Where the heck do you live that stuff like this happens and no one does anything about it? And if you were there to witness why didn't YOU do anything about it?

You don't have to bash every male in the world to be considered "male bashing". And as I said before it wasn't really "male bashing" but reverse male bashing.
    What the heck is "reverse male bashing"? And yes it does have to bash every male in the world to be "male bashing," otherwise it's just depicting one or a few bad apples.

RE Benning,

you're splitting hairs to ignore that for the Supreme Intelligence to use the face of a woman, the imagery undermines the whole notion that the villain here is a gender. Minerva did more than not hang out with her in the end. It was made clear she didn't like Carol and relished trying to hurt her when the were on opposite sides. That's acting against our heroine, sorry it wasn't enough for you.

Where the heck do you live that stuff like this happens and no one does anything about it? And if you were there to witness why didn't YOU do anything about it?
    Where the heck do you live that you don't hear or read about this stuff from people who were there and experienced it? How deep is YOUR head in the sand?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    You know how many people on youtube etc. that are "reviewers" that had/have know idea who Carol Danvers was and didn't actually spend 5-10 minutes googling it? And yes she is that strong look at the books or when she was on the Avengers cartoon as Ms. Marvel she was kicking ass...fact!

People just do not like Brie Larson and wanted Emily Blunt (Get over it already!) so because of that along with other things they got the pitchforks and torches out and wanted to roast her...

Let me she was: Ms.Marvel/Binary/Warbird/Captain Marvel and I knew that but guess what happened when I googled it? FACTS! And no feminist movement here I think there was more of that in Wonder Woman then Captain Marvel...but I digress people only see what they want to see...

My only MINOR gripes would be: and cool thing is we se

- - - Updated - - -

See it's people like him that have to throw fuel on the fire....Wow!
    I don't think everyone who wasn't wowed by the film is simply peeved that Blunt wasn't cast. It's the first I have heard of Emily being mentioned and I wasn't wowed by the movie. Not to say it was bad by any means but after seeing it I went back through he reviews to see what I thought of the reviews after the fact. Many of the negative reviews (by critics) had to do with Larson's acting. Like many critics I just didn't think she was all that good. The movie itself was ok but I had no idea about the Emily Blunt controversy going in. I know Larson won an oscar so clearly she can act, I just don't think she was the right fit for the role.

What the heck is "reverse male bashing"? And yes it does have to bash every male in the world to be "male bashing," otherwise it's just depicting one or a few bad apples.
    Reverse male bashing, at least my definition of it is when rather than make a man look stupid or weak, you make them look bad for victimizing someone weaker than them.

So, you're saying I can put down a handful women as weak or stupid. I can stereotype a few of them as being evil or manipulative. But as long as I also include a few decent females in my story, I haven't done them a disservice?

No one here said the "villain was a gender". All that was said is that yes, some men are made to look bad in this movie. Their misdeeds towards the main character is what drives her to overcome. Rather than personal self obstacles other Marvel characters have faced in their movies, all of Carol's strongest memories are of males mistreating her. Your sprinkles of female bad guys trying to hurt her didn't seem to mean anything to Carol when she was overcoming her restraints.

Where the heck do you live that you don't hear or read about this stuff from people who were there and experienced it? How deep is YOUR head in the sand?
    I've literally seen things happen the way I describe them. I've seen parents spank kids for doing exactly what was done in some of these scenes. I've seen umpires throw kids out of games and coaches chew kids out. Parents in the stands would have been in an uproar. But it's OK if you want to answer my question with a question if you've never experienced anything like this or stood up for someone when they were being wronged.

Send me a link though, so I can read about a girl having a ball thrown at her head in a kids baseball game where no one did anything. Because I apparently I live in a place where people don't allow that kind of crap to happen.

Or people on the Internet are reading what they want to see in statements being made to fit preconceived notions they have.
    This ^^^^^^^