Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

The website is kind of great:

https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/

To me, the best thing about Captain (Ms) Marvel was when Rogue drained her powers. I have zero interest in the character without the Rogue connection.

I'm also disappointed because there are numerous female Marvel heroes I prefer who never had a chance to shine in film, Storm and Rogue being the top two, but I'd much rather see a She-Ra movie than Captain Marvel.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    The website is kind of great:

https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/
    OMG! I think that this is one of the greatest websites ever!!

Totally takes me back to when I was surfing the world-wide-web on Netscape and webcrawler, lol!

Seeing the Captain Marvel website instantly brought the old sound of my modem connecting to the 'net flooding back to me! (Welcome! You've got mail!)

Children of the late 90's / 2000's need not apply...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Initial critic reactions to the Captain Marvel movie, as expected, are overwhelmingly positive. The review embargo won't be lifted until early next week but critics were still able to post their impressions via social accounts and almost all loved it:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...ns-1203143894/

“Captain Marvel” is soaring following advanced press screenings on Tuesday.

Reactions from early showings have hit Twitter, and audiences are keen on Marvel’s first female-led standalone movie.

Critics are praising Brie Larson’s performance as Carol Danvers, the nostalgic ’90s setting, and the cosmic sci-fi elements. Goose, Danvers’ cat, is also getting a lot of attention from audiences. According to Kayti Burt from Den of Geek, “Cat people will love this movie.” Burt added that “the MCU feels more complete now.”

Entertainment Weekly’s Devan Coggan tweeted, “‘Captain Marvel’ is pure joy. I cannot wait for the generation of little girls who will grow up with Carol Danvers as a hero.” Others called Larson an “unstoppable force.”

Set in the ’90s, “Captain Marvel” serves as a prequel to the rest of the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Jim Vejvoda from IGN says the movie has “just enough ’90s nostalgia without overdoing it.” The soundtrack and supporting cast, which includes Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, and Lashana Lynch, have also received praise.

I am excited to see this film next Saturday in IMAX and experience what it will add to the overall MCU mosaic...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Got tickets to check it out the weekend it comes out. After experiencing the highs of Into The Spiderverse and Aquaman, I've got fingers crossed that this one is just as fun and exciting to watch. I'm pretty much over the super gloom and doom of some of the other superhero flicks at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    To me, the best thing about Captain (Ms) Marvel was when Rogue drained her powers. I have zero interest in the character without the Rogue connection.

I'm also disappointed because there are numerous female Marvel heroes I prefer who never had a chance to shine in film, Storm and Rogue being the top two, but I'd much rather see a She-Ra movie than Captain Marvel.
    I’d love a Rogue or Storm film. Particularly a film where Rogue and Wolverine tear through Genosha. Not really interested in the Captain Marvel film.

I was on the fence on seeing this. But my daughter wants to and now I am all in. She's not a big superhero fan, so for her to want to see it is a big deal.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

In all honesty, I'm more excited for this than End Game.

It will be really interesting how Carol gets integrated into the current MCU timeline when this is (reportedly) taking place in the 90's...

I love the Marvel Cosmic Universe, and I'm so happy to see the franchise branch out from Earth. Hopefully, after Avengers 4, we can have a cool-down period where the focus returns to solo hero flicks for a while.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I made a video of the figures, and some stuff about the controversy surrounding the movie:
    (It's a good take, I'm a positive guy)

Heroic Warrior
    Have no desire to watch this SJW propaganda film,my interest was minimal before Brie Larson started with her male bashing no thank

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Yeah, I thought Brie was a bad choice for the role even before she started with her various speeches, etc. Should have be Charlize Theron.

The Skrull make-up and the cat look cool, but the trailers make the movie seem kinda blah. I will probably stream it down the road.

It really is a shame that these actors cannot keep their opinions to themselves. I understand they are entitled to them, and even have the right to share them, but it just ruins entire franchises for me. I do not want to know the political leanings of someone who plays pretend for a living and who is completely out of touch with the reality MOST people face.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly I’m having a hard time even imagining captain marvel sharing a scene with Iron man or Captain America I really hope her presence doesn’t ruin Endgame

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    I heard a rumor there are two cuts of End Game. One if Cpt Marvel does well, and one if she isn't as popular as they were hoping. One cut having more of her, and one cut having less. I doubt it's true, but you never know with Disney. But I see where you are coming from, Skeletor68. Hopefully the writing doesn't pander to her either. In Infinity War, the scene where they made Black Panther's sister (Shuri?) seem smarter than Bruce Banner and Tony Stark regarding Vision... I had to roll my eyes. They don't need to tear down existing A-list heroes to build up new D-list characters.

Then after End Game, Rogue can put Brie Larson into a coma for the rest of the MCU. Flying, super strong Rogue with the '90s suit. Please Feige!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I heard a rumor there are two cuts of End Game. One if Cpt Marvel does well, and one if she isn't as popular as they were hoping. One cut having more of her, and one cut having less. I doubt it's true, but you never know with Disney. But I see where you are coming from, Skeletor68. Hopefully the writing doesn't pander to her either. In Infinity War, the scene where they made Black Panther's sister (Shuri?) seem smarter than Bruce Banner and Tony Stark regarding Vision... I had to roll my eyes. They don't need to tear down existing A-list heroes to build up new D-list characters.

Then after End Game, Rogue can put Brie Larson into a coma for the rest of the MCU. Flying, super strong Rogue with the '90s suit. Please Feige!!!
    that, and his sisters line of 'oh joy, another white boy to experiment on'.... can you imagine if that line was reversed?

It's rather sad that Marvel is willing to let ten years of goodwill, and the one universe EVERYONE is literally trying to copy, go down the toilet all because of agenda.

but, at least we can all agree there is a clear agenda with THIS one at least, right?
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post

Huh, that makes sense. They did that with Return of the Jedi, they filmed all of Ackbars scenes with Madine incase Ackbar tested poorly during scerening. I suspect that’s why we got a Madine figure, they had to go into to production on both to have them ready in time. Like super bowl tee shirts.

My concern is throwing a cosmic heavy hitter into End Game at this stage. I’ll trust the Russo bros but it feels cheap, very- dylithium crystals resolution to the conflict. You don’t change pitchers in the ninth inning of a perfect game.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; March 2, 2019 at 10:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Huh, that makes sense. They did that with Return of the Jedi, they filmed all of Ackbars scenes with Madine incase Ackbar tested poorly during scerening. I suspect thatís why we got a Madine figure, they had to go into to production on both to have them ready in time. Like super bowl tee shirts.

My concern is throwing a cosmic heavy hitter into End Game at this stage. Iíll trust the Russo bros but it feels cheap, very- dylithium crystals resolution to the conflict. You donít change pitchers in the ninth inning of a perfect game.
    I'm going to go to the theaters expecting another good Marvel film. I've tried not to look at all the negative Brie Larson crap she's put out there but I also will but weary if the film seems to have an agenda.

I personally can't believe they would build up these main Avengers characters for years only to bring in another character at the last second that overshadows everyone else with power that they've purposely held back from the other characters "movie versions". If they do, it'll be a tragic end to a great series. They'd be sweeping the legs out from under any future MCU films.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm going to go to the theaters expecting another good Marvel film. I've tried not to look at all the negative Brie Larson crap she's put out there but I also will but weary if the film seems to have an agenda.

I personally can't believe they would build up these main Avengers characters for years only to bring in another character at the last second that overshadows everyone else with power that they've purposely held back from the other characters "movie versions". If they do, it'll be a tragic end to a great series. They'd be sweeping the legs out from under any future MCU films.
    I 100% agree with this. The Avengers do NOT need to be bailed out by Captain Marvel. Dr. Strange saw one outcome that would change the tide and he saw Tony in that outcome or he would have never handed over the stone.

I am all for girl power, but this whole 'The Future is Female,' 'The Force is Female,' 'The (insert whatever here) is Female' feels forced and I feel like I am being pandered to not empowered.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I 100% agree with this. The Avengers do NOT need to be bailed out by Captain Marvel. Dr. Strange saw one outcome that would change the tide and he saw Tony in that outcome or he would have never handed over the stone.

I am all for girl power, but this whole 'The Future is Female,' 'The Force is Female,' 'The (insert whatever here) is Female' feels forced and I feel like I am being pandered to not empowered.
    You pretty much summed up how I feel about the film and all the "controversy." I was never happy with the Brie Larson casting. I think this is probably the first time I feel the MCU really "missed the boat."

I am seeing it this weekend but I am passing on premiere night, which I never do for MCU films. I want to like this but from what I've heard they really screwed with her origin and changed a ton. I'm hoping the supporting cast save this movie.

I have a feeling this might be Marvel Studios's first box office flop just like Pixar had their first one being Good Dinosaur was.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I have a feeling this might be Marvel Studios's first box office flop just like Pixar had their first one being Good Dinosaur was.
    I think this movie is going to be fine. You'll have some people that will see the movie and only see the preconceived "agenda" very negatively because it IS actually there. But other than that, it will be a good movie with a great overall cast.

MY complaint will stem from what I'm already reading in the reviews. And that is they're going to make her full (or even more than full) power. This goes against what they've done with almost every other Marvel character in the MCU. If you're going to put a cap on the power of the other characters to "make it more realistic" then why introduce a character with power far beyond all of the others?

I'm anticipating seeing a good movie but walking out disappointed.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    So basically, you hope they don't do to the Marvel franchise what they already did to Star Wars.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    So basically, you hope they don't do to the Marvel franchise what they already did to Star Wars.
    Pretty much but this would be more like Rey coming in and immediately crushing star destroyers with the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    There's ZERO chance this will flop. It might not get "rave" reviews but it's going to sell a ton of tickets. It's got mass appeal if you think about it. MCU fans will see this just cause it ties into A4 and the overall MCU. Then of course you'll get the people who are going to see it just cause it's a "female character." The cold hard truth is we saw the same thing with Black Panther. It happens in today's world. For the record, Black Panther though is an excellent film.
    Last edited by Bonehead; March 7, 2019 at 09:33pm.

Hell, I'm even going and I've been on record of slamming this type of film. Of course, I'm PURELY going to see how this "piece" fits in to the over-all puzzle, but as mentioned, every one has their reason. Due to that alone it'll make money. They always find some way to get you in there.