Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Movies Needing Live Action Versions

Disney Movies Needing Live Action Versions

With all the amazing and brilliant live action Disney movies based on beloved animated classics, I've compiled a list of animated movies which don't yet have a live action version but should. Of course, some of them are already in varying stages of production. Having studied comparative literature, I love different versions of stories (film and books) as well as different versions of favourite songs.

Here is the list (apologies if I've forgotten any movies):

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
    Pinocchio
    Bambi
    Peter Pan
    The Sword In The Stone
    The Aristocats
    Robin Hood
    The Rescuers
    The Fox And The Hound
    The Black Cauldron
    The Great Mouse Detective
    Oliver And Company
    The Little Mermaid
    Pocahontas
    Hunchback Of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Brother Bear
    Home On The Range
    Princess And The Frog
    Tangled
    Frozen

*If they remake Oliver And Company, they HAVE to bring back Bette Midler as the voice of Georgette singing Perfect Isn't Easy. Nobody could replace The Divine Miss M.

*I don't know if I could watch a live action Bambi, the original makes me sad enough as it is.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

No love for a live-action Fantasia or Treasure Planet?

From your list we know Mulan is coming and I think Lilo and Stitch as well. Not on your list but also in production Lady and the Tramp is also being updated.

Disney has licensed the entire Chronicles of Prydain book series for some form of live action adaption. I think a similar deal would be needed for The Rescuers (Margaret Sharp novels), Fox and the Hound (Daniel Maddox's depressing novel), and The Great Mouse Detective (Eve Titus' Basil of Baker Street novels). Tarzan could also have an issue - not from the novel as it's in the public domain but on trademarks that might need licensing for the character.

The love is there, but I always forget something when I make a list.

Fantasia would be very interesting, and I think I remember reading that there may be a live action version of one of the scenes from the movie, based on Night On Bald Mountain with the demon Chernobog.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I would hope Disney would have the sense to leave Fantasia alone.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

None. No further. These have all been, and will only continue to be, sub-par and unnecessary cash-grabs at best.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    None. No further. These have all been, and will only continue to be, sub-par and unnecessary cash-grabs at best.
    Agreed.

That is not an attack on you, Mikey. I just think the live action movies are completely unnecessary. I am definitely not their demographic (anymore).
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I completely disagree on all counts. The live action Disney movies have been amazing and very necessary in my opinion. Having talented stars like Emma Watson and Naomi Scott play beloved characters and to see and hear them sing is worth every accolade I could name. I hope they all get made and cherished for years to come, just like the animated versions.

I love the sequel to Fantasia, especially when Bette Midler and Angela Lansbury narrate a segment each.

We definitely need more Fantasia.

I meant no disrespect in my prior statement, and I mean no disrespect in asking: wouldn't you rather Disney create new material rather than endlessly rehash the past?

For instance. As much as I dislike the Maleficent movie, at least in that case they attempted something different, although still they could not help but retreat to the low-risk, familiar territory of existing IP. Even so, at least it offered something creatively new (even if bad) to the viewer. These other remakes? Not so much, if you ask me.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

I meant no disrespect in my prior statement, and I mean no disrespect in asking: wouldn't you rather Disney create new material rather than endlessly rehash the past?

For instance. As much as I dislike the Maleficent movie, at least in that case they attempted something different, although still they could not help but retreat to the low-risk, familiar territory of existing IP. Even so, at least it offered something creatively new (even if bad) to the viewer. These other remakes? Not so much, if you ask me.
    I agree 100%. I know in the past Mikey has taken criticism about his favorite movies to heart, which is I said it was not a personal attack (on my end). We had beef before and I did not want him to think I was targeting him unfairly.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I love the live action versions so I would want Disney to continue making them AS WELL AS making new stories. It's not unreasonable to wish for both. I love Maleficent and the sequel looks to be even better. Beauty And The Beast, Cinderella, and Aladdin have all been marvellous and as I said, it's awesome to hear the new actors magnificent singing and to collect the DVD's and CD soundtracks. The spellbinding performance of Helena Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother in Cinderella is reason enough to want more. Also, there's the brilliance of Dan Stevens beautiful song Evermore in Beauty And The Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    I would hope Disney would have the sense to leave Fantasia alone.
    Iirc Walt's original plan was that Fantasia would be constantly revisited and revised. Fantasia 2000 is all we got so far.

EDIT- I don't care if they remake or not, but in the cases of things like The Black Cauldron which is part of a larger work, I could see trying to remake as a longer form story on the cable or streaming channels without any other consideration being made.
    Last edited by Amentep; July 19, 2019 at 02:34pm.

I recall renting Fantasia when I was quite young and was quite disappointed with it. Haven't seen it since then...

Personally I don't care for the live action re-makes and would rather they did more originl new stories.

Having said that a live action Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet and Atlantis could be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    No I'm just read like 10 threads about the same subject....
    Different movies merit different threads, except this one for general and possible future releases. The other threads were for a specific movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the CGI animated Frozen franchise, but I would love a live action version just to have (hopefully) Melissa Benoist singing Let It Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Different movies merit different threads, except this one for general and possible future releases. The other threads were for a specific movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the CGI animated Frozen franchise, but I would love a live action version just to have (hopefully) Melissa Benoist singing Let It Go.
    Melissa Benoist and Val Kilmer will both be in the new Jay and Silent Bob movie playing Bluntman and Chronic. Not a fan of Kevin Smith's movies and I don't think that would be the type of movie you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Melissa Benoist and Val Kilmer will both be in the new Jay and Silent Bob movie playing Bluntman and Chronic. Not a fan of Kevin Smith's movies and I don't think that would be the type of movie you would like.
    I love Melissa and Val as actors and singers, but you're right this particular movie isn't my thing.

Mod Note: let’s continue to keep the discussion civil, gang! Stay on-topic and away from personal remarks. If you don’t like the topic, you do not have to post or even read it. I’ve cleaned up a few errant remarks already. Thank you!

As for me, I tend to like when these live action adaptations being something new. I had heard about the Bald Mountain movie, and I also read awhile back that the Chronicles of Prydain/Black Cauldron would be coming in a series. (I hope so!)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Agreed.

That is not an attack on you, Mikey. I just think the live action movies are completely unnecessary. I am definitely not their demographic (anymore).

The only thing in live action that would work would be a new adaptation of The Prydain books as a series as it would be less a remake of the 1985 animated Black Cauldron film and more of a faithful adaptation of all the books in one TV show, it could be a unique series.

Don't just boycott the new Little Mermaid film. Boycott all of Disney's live action remakes. That includes The Lion King and Lady and the Tramp. Because if you contribute to The Lion King being hit, you are not showing Disney anything other than you want more of this crap. Bad reviews won't mean a thing. Disney cares only about the bottom line and pure profit.

Can't we just re-issue the original films Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King with some updated remastered animation? as because they still hold up really good to this day, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King and three of them in my opinion are some of the best animated films of the 90s among others. We don't need an update, we don't need a live-action remake of Lion King which isn't even live-action, it's CGI. Sometimes like lion King or Beauty and the Beast, Disney can't strike the same lightning in a bottle twice.

I hope the people who saw the trailers to Lion King and didn't like what they saw then speak with your wallet, and if your tired of Disney's lazy halfassed cashgrab remakes of their classics, don't pay to see them and that's how you're gonna send your message. So if you are sick of this lazy crap as much as I am, do not pay to see any of their live action remakes and just contribute to diminishing returns.

I have yet to give them a single cent for these casghrab efforts and I will continue to do so. That is the only way they will consider stopping. Because if they keep making money, no matter how bad the word of mouth and reviews are, Disney will not give a damn and keep making them. And if any film of live-action bombs which has happened to Dumbo then Disney will be like "oh wow, i guess people are tired of this! i guess audiences doesn't want this!" and that's how your gonna send your message. Disney will look at the bottomline and it will fall, they will be like "oh wow i guess people are sick of this, let's do other projects and stuff even for Walt Disney animation Studios and Pixar".

I mean you are just gonna get live-action remakes of Pinocchio and all. it's going to happen, i guarantee it and all but eventually the bottom will completely fall out and they are just gonna get diminishing returns, because they are no longer about the ideals that Walt Disney built his company around. They are about greed, power and manipulation of your nostalgia no thanks to Iger. If not? That what is the point? There is no need for lazy live action Disney remakes and it is a shame that films like this get the pass and make millions. Like i said, eventually your just gonna get diminishing returns and soon the bottom will eventually fall.

I want the Disney that made the original and was a genuine trendsetter back in the good old days. Not the current version which is just pumping out reheated left overs from the past (the original Beauty Aladdin and Lion King are delicious and still are delicious), bad Pirates sequels with a upcoming reboot (please let this franchise die already and do something else), sequels to Cars and failed adaptations of parts of their park like Tomorrowland plus they screwed up Star Wars. I want them to do creative things like Zootopia, Wreck it Ralph, Pixar and some others. I am not going to give Disney a single cent this year except Toy Story 4 which earned my money and i'm gonna see it again when Lion King comes out to prove i'm tired of these lazy remakes.. I haven't once this entire year. No ticket for Dumbo. No ticket for Aladdin and no ticket for Lion King. and no ticket to Star Wars episode 9.

I didn't watch the new lion king movie, it just the same old stuff from beginning to end. The Lion King 2019 remake is an inferior abomination of cinema that is unnecessary shot for shot remake of the animated movie that doesn't need to exist in the first place. Just like all of these live action of Disney live action remakes of there animated films, they are repetitive and unnecessary. And I hope any one wanted this are going to regret it. Wake up and smell the coffee, it time we need to stop wasting out money on this corrupt power hungry cooperation and become the adults we should be. And i guaranteed if we all do that, these remakes will get diminishing returns and should all bomb and send Disney the message.

I am putting my money where my mouth is. If more people did the same Disney might actually stop making these lazy half assed live action remakes.
    I have no desire to see it but slavishly praising the live action Beauty and the Beast and not realizing it for the shameless cash grab that it is? hate that they are doing this. There's a reason why adapting classic fairytales into animation works best. These live action films have been mediocre to disastrous. Go see Toy Story 4 again (that movie earned my money as Toy Story at least is a franchise that Disney/Pixar built and still going it in a way i feel is more respectful than the remakes of the disney animated classics which are lazy and halfassed, it at least does a unique installment in the franchise), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Into the Ashes as those earn your money. I did saw both Crawl (again) and Toy Story 4 (again) last saturday to protest Lion King remake.

I'm telling you the bottom will completely fall and when they will bomb, it should send Disney the message.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; July 22, 2019 at 03:54pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I had no interest in the Lion King film as it seemed to be a retelling of the original in CGI...and I don't like the original film.

But everyone should just see the films that interest them (is there really another reason?)

There have been remakes almost as long as there has been cinema; so protesting them seems pointless to me. And there are plenty of good films that are remakes. Just see what you like and leave the rest, imo.

Also, I don't think there's much call to swipe at another user because they like different things. I personally think there have been 3 more Toy Story films than the world needed me. But I'm not going to argue people who enjoy them shouldn't see them.

Yes, let’s avoid making personal remarks. This is not the playground, and we’re better than that. (I hope.)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Lately, I'm not in the spirit to watch most of big budget movies since I'm finding them boring and unoriginal. Even Endgame.

Too many remakes are going to saturate the market and I'm not quite sure, but I don't think younger generations are considering their source cannon as the original animated one were to us and so many. I could understand "The Jungle Book", it was good and fine, but then all others are very repetive.

I may consider "The Black Cauldron" as some sort of Middle Earth epic saga redefined or "Treasure Planet" as a space swashbuckler adventure, but I do rather preferred the design and storytelling achieved in animation form.
    Sadly, I already know that one of my most cherished animated films is going to be adapted to live-action: "Lilo & Stich"
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    I had no interest in the Lion King film as it seemed to be a retelling of the original in CGI...and I don't like the original film.

But everyone should just see the films that interest them (is there really another reason?)

There have been remakes almost as long as there has been cinema; so protesting them seems pointless to me. And there are plenty of good films that are remakes. Just see what you like and leave the rest, imo.

Also, I don't think there's much call to swipe at another user because they like different things. I personally think there have been 3 more Toy Story films than the world needed me. But I'm not going to argue people who enjoy them shouldn't see them.
    Yes there are other exceptions in remakes like Scarface, Father of the Bride, The Blob, Hills Have Eyes etc. which are actually good but i dislike lazy halfassed ones like Elm Street, Disney's live action versions of Disney classics and more.

But i'm telling you the returns on these returns will diminish on these remakes and will send Disney the message once they start bombing and give Disney the right idea to cancel future remakes.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Sure, at some point the remakes will end. But if people want to see them while they're here, I have no issue with it. I'll see any that interest me and ignore the rest.

I'm really getting sick and tired of all the "boycott Disney" crap, the returns will not diminish and Disney will hopefully make many more live action versions because people do love them, and will buy the DVD's, CD soundtracks, and novelisations, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and will continue to support Disney and these wonderful live action movies just as much as their animated counterparts.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Sadly, I already know that one of my most cherished animated films is going to be adapted to live-action: "Lilo & Stich"
    Lilo & Stitch is my favourite movie and the idea of a live action remake is just a huge

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!