Thread: Question about eBay duties/taxes/charges on purchasing out-of-country

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Question about eBay duties/taxes/charges on purchasing out-of-country

So I'm thinking of buying an item on eBay from Japan between $40-$60, but this part concerns me:

Import duties, taxes and charges that are not included in the item price or shipping charges are buyer's responsibility.
    Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior bidding/buying.
    These charges are normally collected by the delivering freight (shipping) company or when you pick the item up - do not confuse them for additional shipping charges.

Has anyone here bought internationally on ebay before? I'd like to make my purchase, but I'm wary of how much more $ these duties/taxes/charges could be.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    If youlive in the US you usually dont pay duty at all unless its a very expensive Item

I have stuff sent as a gift to Europe (and marked low value such as say 10$) , that usually helps (even huge items)
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    If youlive in the US you usually dont pay duty at all unless its a very expensive Item

I have stuff sent as a gift to Europe (and marked low value such as say 10$) , that usually helps (even huge items)

Yeah, I'm in the U.S. I was hoping this potential "extra stuff" was nothing exorbitant! lol
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I once bought a CD from Japan (Miss Murgatroid's Through Alien Empires) and one from The Netherlands (Miss Murgatroid's Methyl Ethyl Key Tones) - both are collections of accordion music, I didn't really pay attention to duties/tax at the time, but I do remember neither purchase was particularly expensive, maybe between $20-$30 all up.

Yes, I freely admit I collect accordion music. Even my sister gives me grief about that.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Just wanted to tack on here that I did get my book a while back, and no, I did not have to pay any extra duties/taxes/charge on it. Yay!