Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavily MOTU inspired ... Funko DC Primal Age

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Have you seen this?

It's really cool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOm5VLkHtHU

I love the old-school animation done in the style of the Super Friends!
    And we know that Target wave 1 has an extra figure (not Superman) and “something else” according to Facebook comments by O’Brien, the designer at Funko. And wave 2 was in production a few weeks ago.

Probably safe to assume Superman, Flash, and Black Manta from that video all have figures planned.

Have you seen this?

It's really cool!!

I love the old-school animation done in the style of the Super Friends!
    I had not, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing that. Now I want a full series. Seeing most of the League assembled at the end really makes me want to see a Primal Age version of Martian Manhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    And we know that Target wave 1 has an extra figure (not Superman) and “something else” according to Facebook comments by O’Brien, the designer at Funko.
    Nice, I hadn't heard about that! Have they indicated whether or not it's a unique character? I'm inclined to think it might be just a repainted Batman or something along those lines, but who knows?

- - - Updated - - -

Joker arrived yesterday, just got around to opening him. Again, no QC problems at all, so my luck with these is holding. (The card itself was hopelessly mangled, though. I didn't care because I open all my stuff, but I was pretty amazed to see a brand new figure arriving with the package in such a state.) The axe is very difficult to get into either of his hands, though. They really need to start using a slightly more flexible plastic for the hands. I'm not crazy about the figure's design, though, which is why it took me so long to order him to begin with. I feel like they could have done a lot more with it. Making the Joker another barbarian warrior seems rather lazy, honestly. He'd be better suited to a mad sorcerer makeover, or something along those lines. (A sorcerer is something this barbarian line is sorely missing, come to think of it.) Anyway, Aquaman and Scarecrow are due to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully they'll fare as well from a QC standpoint!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    I had not, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing that. Now I want a full series. Seeing most of the League assembled at the end really makes me want to see a Primal Age version of Martian Manhunter.

Nice, I hadn't heard about that! Have they indicated whether or not it's a unique character? I'm inclined to think it might be just a repainted Batman or something along those lines, but who knows?

- - - Updated - - -

Joker arrived yesterday, just got around to opening him. Again, no QC problems at all, so my luck with these is holding. (The card itself was hopelessly mangled, though. I didn't care because I open all my stuff, but I was pretty amazed to see a brand new figure arriving with the package in such a state.) The axe is very difficult to get into either of his hands, though. They really need to start using a slightly more flexible plastic for the hands. I'm not crazy about the figure's design, though, which is why it took me so long to order him to begin with. I feel like they could have done a lot more with it. Making the Joker another barbarian warrior seems rather lazy, honestly. He'd be better suited to a mad sorcerer makeover, or something along those lines. (A sorcerer is something this barbarian line is sorely missing, come to think of it.) Anyway, Aquaman and Scarecrow are due to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully they'll fare as well from a QC standpoint!
    Reis just said that it ISN'T Superman and was vague about "something else" being in the target wave. Presumably a vehicle but I suppose a mini playset might fit the bill.

ALSO, UPDATE: I saw somebody post on Facebook that folks at Funko are livid because the prototypes from the factory used different plastics and were sturdier. And a designer was urging his friend (who shared this anonymously) to send photos to Funko's feedback e-mail so they could have a TON of proof to take to the factory that produced the first wave (and implied the "improvements" may largely be a different factory with different plastics). This guy said the people at Funko felt really betrayed by a bait and switch by the factory, which made higher quality prototypes. (It would be interesting if this factory did the Vintage MOTU given the similar release timeline.)

https://www.funko.com/contact-us

That's extremely interesting, COBRALA.

I hope this means that things are going to be seriously looked into, switched around, and any forthcoming figures are rock solid. I thought it was awfully strange that such thick and chunky figures ( with very little articulation ) were having so many QC issues.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 7, 2018 at 01:59am.
    Odd Man Out

Reis just said that it ISN'T Superman and was vague about "something else" being in the target wave. Presumably a vehicle but I suppose a mini playset might fit the bill.

ALSO, UPDATE: I saw somebody post on Facebook that folks at Funko are livid because the prototypes from the factory used different plastics and were sturdier. And a designer was urging his friend (who shared this anonymously) to send photos to Funko's feedback e-mail so they could have a TON of proof to take to the factory that produced the first wave (and implied the "improvements" may largely be a different factory with different plastics). This guy said the people at Funko felt really betrayed by a bait and switch by the factory, which made higher quality prototypes. (It would be interesting if this factory did the Vintage MOTU given the similar release timeline.)

https://www.funko.com/contact-us
    If this is true, then it would explain a lot about what's been happening...

I think the Funko Panthro figure has actually been recalled... my BBTS versions still haven't shipped, and he is actually going up in price on Amazon/eBay...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Gotcha. At least we don't have to wait long to find out!

Very interesting! If that's what happened, I hope they do take their business to another factory. Extremely scummy move on the factory's part if they truly did such a thing.

I think the Funko Panthro figure has actually been recalled... my BBTS versions still haven't shipped, and he is actually going up in price on Amazon/eBay...

I wasn't aware BBTS still wasn't shipping Panthro! I dropped him from my pre-order after I found one at Gamestop a month or so back, so the other three arrived a couple of weeks ago on their own.

I'm very happy that I didn't pre-order LION-O and PANTHRO.

I can't wait to hear what FUNKO has to say about this. I have to assume they will continue the lines, and part of that will mean doing better versions of previously made figures. At least I hope that's what happens!

That crappy factory really needs to be blackballed.

Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 8, 2018 at 08:14pm.
    Odd Man Out

Well, I reckon my good luck couldn't continue forever. Aquaman and Scarecrow arrived today, and my first real QC fiasco with this line snuck into the house alongside them. Scarecrow was fine, and is actually the sturdiest-feeling of all the Primal Age figures I have, but Aquaman lost BOTH legs the moment I lifted him out of the package! It sucks because he was one of the three I most wanted from this line. Like, why couldn't the Joker's legs fall off instead? Anyway, about to hit Amazon up for an exchange.

Heroic Warrior
    So... My King Shark was only a LITTLE stiff and took some tense repositioning to balance.

And my GL and Aquaman are duds.

BUT: Scarecrow is pretty great. Feels comparable to Mortal Kombat and Zorn.

I’m thinking the issue (aside from grips on ball joints, which I dislike) is with the gang molding the factory chose for the crotch pieces.

The crotches should always be a hard, opaque plastic. But on Aquaman, Panthro, etc. they made it from the same chewy vinyl as the bodies and in Panthro’s case maybe even his super-soft nunchuck plastic. On GL, they gangmolded the crotch with his translucent weapons.

But on Scarecrow, I think his crotch post ring was gangmolded with his hard plastic shield. And it’s hands down THE BEST Primal Age figure IMHO.

I had to return my GL for credit (they let me keep my Aquaman) but the GL snaps cleanly enough that you could probably remove the crotch pieces, take measurements, and 3D model or recast the ring to make a replacement.

EDIT: I’ll note that the crotch post is essentially a sloped coat hanger shape separate piece of plastic from the torso. Its center is a ring that was hand assembled onto a post inside the crotch before the crotch was glued together and it has two downward sloping ball joint posts. It’s clearly meant to be a separate piece cast in a more rugged material than the torso but the factory was clearly gangmolding it with random other parts or accessories from the figure, in Panthro’s case likely his soft nunchuck plastic and in GL’s case his translucent accessories. The whole point of it being a separate piece HAD to be for it to be more durable and the factory cheaped out.
    Last edited by Cobrala; December 8, 2018 at 06:37pm.

I was having similar thoughts after getting a good look at the crotch's inner assembly (boy, don't read THAT quote out of context!) after Aquaman fell apart, and noticing, as I mentioned above, that Scarecrow felt sturdier than most of the others. If they're producing the leg assembly on the same sprue as some of the softer parts, that would indeed cause all of the problems, and explain why certain figures seem to suffer from them far more than others. It's the same reason so many action figure lines have issues with droopy weapons or really stiff capes.

The funny thing is, the hands on these figures are the stiffest I've ever encountered. If they'd use that plastic, the leg assemblies would probably be fine!

At least Amazon is coming through with no issues on replacing Aquaman, as expected. They told me to keep the broken figure, and they've already shipped a replacement, which should arrive Monday. Hopefully I'll have better luck with this one. I'll boil the legs before moving them if they actually stay intact that long!

- - - Updated - - -

Thankfully, even a broken figure can still be a source of fun!

Heroic Warrior
    I've been mulling over what to do. I was allowed to keep my broken Skeletor (BBTS) and Aquaman (Amazon).

I have big plans for Skeletor's remaining parts since I read up on how to transplant the S7 head to a vintage body. (It uses different connectors.) That's a gamechanger for the broken S7 figures out there. I've got a ragged vintage figure on the way and I'm eyeing my old Prince Adam as a donor for a possible custom.

I did heat up the surviving Skeletor leg and it loosened up so I'll be sure to do the same on the replacement.

I'm on the fence about what to do with Aquaman.

The head and arms should fit on a Zorn, SW Horor or Mortal Kombat body, which are FINE figures. I keep thinking of picking up a $5 clearance Liu Kang and doing a Ninja Aquaman variant.

As an aside, you can do a pretty great He-Man update out of a mix of these parts. Zorn torso and arms. Leatherface legs. If you're willing to wreck some stuff, the SW leg connector from an old figure could be applied to an actual MOTU crotch or the upcoming TCats Wave 2 Jackalman. There's something I find twistedly amusing about doing a custom Savage World He-Man.

A SW He-Man custom is a delightfully subversive idea! Aquaman's head would work fairly well For a King He-Man custom. I was thinking about just having his head on a pike as an accessory for the eventual Black Manta figure, but now I'm not sure!

Heroic Warrior
    A SW He-Man custom is a delightfully subversive idea! Aquaman's head would work fairly well For a King He-Man custom. I was thinking about just having his head on a pike as an accessory for the eventual Black Manta figure, but now I'm not sure!
    You might be able to pull off a Liu Kang head with some hair sculpting. And if you’re up for sculpting a belt, maybe a Green Lantern crotch would work.

So the new wave that we saw at Toy Fair last weekend is pretty good, but I think I predicted it fairly well: Superman, Flash, Krypto, Bizarro, Lex Luthor, Black Manta. I noticed the amount of weapons per figure dropped, and Luthor has none! It's interesting that Superman, Bizarro, and Luthor all have the mace hand. If their is a trend where a lot of these figures are representing vintage MotU characters, then I would think that Superman is like Fisto and Luthor is like Jitsu, but with Bizarro as like Faker. Also, this wave is FINALLY re-using parts. I'm a big fan of creative re-use of parts and it bugged me the first wave had no re-use.

I am bummed there was no vehicle shown. I was hoping for some type of Lex-mobile or something that is based on a green-crystal like magic power.

For future waves, I am hoping for more re-use. So, they could easily do a Reverse Flash (Flash body, new colors, new head). A Sinestro AND a John Stewart (both use GL body & weapons w/ new heads). Perhaps a Hawkgirl (Wonder Woman arms & legs w/ new body, head, weapons). I also think a Catwoman, Cheetah, Poison Ivy, and Harley Queen. Maybe Green Arrow, Robin/Nightwing, Cyborg, Dr. Fate, Etrigan, Bane, Zatanna, Killer Croc, Steel, Man-Bat. And for an army builder: Those Hyena-Men! I've seen the Hyena-Men in the cartoon intro AND many times in the comic. I'm sure they are coming.

But I also am concerned that this is it. There was a big push in the beginning with that weird "find" that Pixel Dan did on his channel, the animated intro, and special endcap at Target with a tee shirt and lunch box. But when Pixel Dan interviewed the guy from Funko at Toyfair, the Funko guy stated he had no information about future waves. You would think he would at least say "yes, more is coming but I can't say what it is!" but he did not. I bet the fact there were many breakages from the Amazon early orders it might have killed it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

That's been my worry, too. I hope there's more beyond wave 2. I love these things, especially now that the breakage issues have been corrected!

I'm kind of worried about this too although, too be fair, we haven't yet received the second series.

It does look like a lot of effort was put into this line though. Add in the tie-in comic book and collaboration with DC, cartoon intro, merchandise, the Target push, and the presence of a giant playset and this seems like something that is intended to have some legs. I really wish Funko would have at least acknowledged that there are further plans for the line. They often tend to be a company with a lot of "one and done" lines. Hopefully since DC has been so involved in this they'll keep it going. It seems to have sold well at Target.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I'm kind of worried about this too although, too be fair, we haven't yet received the second series.

It does look like a lot of effort was put into this line though. Add in the tie-in comic book and collaboration with DC, cartoon intro, merchandise, the Target push, and the presence of a giant playset and this seems like something that is intended to have some legs. I really wish Funko would have at least acknowledged that there are further plans for the line. They often tend to be a company with a lot of "one and done" lines. Hopefully since DC has been so involved in this they'll keep it going. It seems to have sold well at Target.
    I’m hoping with Mattel’s license expiring and McFarlane getting, explicitly, 6-12” collectibles, Funko can do classic comics 5.5s in 2020.

Part of the deal with Primal Age was that Funko couldn’t use any established comics or movie designs. It was kind of a loophole in Mattel’s license that allowed original designs. But for those wondering about the mace hands and such, Funko apparently couldn’t let it look too much like any design that ever appeared in a comic.

So maybe in 2020, we can get Amethyst, Warlord, Arak, etc. but maybe also 5.5” Super Powers/Super Friends. It’d be fun to have next to Primal Age.

Speaking of that tie-in comic, my local Target still hasn't gotten any copies. It's starting to look like I won't be able to read it unless they release a digital version or something. My Target has done a pretty lousy job with this line in general. The endcap that supposed to be devoted to it just has two pegs of figures, empty spots where the lunchbox and comic are supposed to be, and a bunch of Fortnite crap taking up the rest of the space.

I ordered the Target-exclusive Batman repaint as a birthday gift for myself, and it arrived today. I had felt all along that the Silver Age-style blue & gray color scheme was better suited to the Primal Age premise, but in-hand, I think I like this version better! I'm really wanting to see some different color combinations, and it's making me wish I could grab a few more to do some repaints and part swaps. QC-wise, he's pretty much identical to the original Amazon release. But then, Batman was one of the two that seemed to have no widespread issues from that run. The only potential difference is that the plastic used for his arms seemed as if it might be slightly softer, as his sword slides in either hand with nowhere near as much trouble as most of these figures. I'm not convinced that wasn't just in my mind, though.

I got my black and grey Batman the other day, too. He really does look very cool and makes for a nice exclusive.

I've seen pics of a few folks already having figures from Series 2 in hand. Hopefully they'll ship from etailers soon!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I got my black and grey Batman the other day, too. He really does look very cool and makes for a nice exclusive.

I've seen pics of a few folks already having figures from Series 2 in hand. Hopefully they'll ship from etailers soon!
    Does anyone know if Series 2 will be at Target? Or are they solely online?

BTW: My Target moved pegs from the end-cap to the main DC area in the aisle. It seems that they sold fairly well. I'm hoping this line will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Does anyone know if Series 2 will be at Target? Or are they solely online?

BTW: My Target moved pegs from the end-cap to the main DC area in the aisle. It seems that they sold fairly well. I'm hoping this line will continue.
    I haven't seen confirmation anywhere that Target will carry series two, but I'm assuming so. It seems to have sold very well at my local one too, they have a different mix of figures on the pegs every time I go there. They seem to be cycling through cases on a weekly basis.

Series two's Black Manta arrived today! I only pre-ordered one figure from the second series just in case Amazon's batch suffered from the QC issues the first run of series one had. I'm happy to report that Manta is rock solid! He's every bit as sturdy as the Target figures, as well as any Savage World figure prior to the Thundercats set. He's very cool, and has a good bit more detail in his sculpt than most figures in this line, with lots of little barnacles clustered at various spots on his body. He holds his swords pretty well, and I haven't had the problem with them sliding out of his hands that certain other figures have. I'm quite pleased with him overall. Time to get the other four!

I haven't seen confirmation anywhere that Target will carry series two, but I'm assuming so. It seems to have sold very well at my local one too, they have a different mix of figures on the pegs every time I go there. They seem to be cycling through cases on a weekly basis.

https://i.imgur.com/ZKGCFjw.jpg
    Series two's Black Manta arrived today! I only pre-ordered one figure from the second series just in case Amazon's batch suffered from the QC issues the first run of series one had. I'm happy to report that Manta is rock solid! He's every bit as sturdy as the Target figures, as well as any Savage World figure prior to the Thundercats set. He's very cool, and has a good bit more detail in his sculpt than most figures in this line, with lots of little barnacles clustered at various spots on his body. He holds his swords pretty well, and I haven't had the problem with them sliding out of his hands that certain other figures have. I'm quite pleased with him overall. Time to get the other four!
    Thanks for the heads up. I always prefer buying figures at a store than online, there is just something about the hunt and the satisfaction about finding what I wanted. But I guess I'll buy them from Amazon. I'm glad your Black Manta is good! I'll order the full line tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I always prefer buying figures at a store than online, there is just something about the hunt and the satisfaction about finding what I wanted. But I guess I'll buy them from Amazon. I'm glad your Black Manta is good! I'll order the full line tomorrow.
    I pefer buying something in a store too, but unfortunately, that's usually not feasible in my area. This line was a nice exception, as I was able to pick up several in-store once Target started carrying it. I hope they do wind up getting the second series, too!

My complete series 2 is supposed to arrive in the mail today from BBTS. I'm pretty excited top open these up and check them out. Here's hoping they sell well and Funko announces a series 3 soon.

"We have a Ram-Man!"