Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavily MOTU inspired ... Funko DC Primal Age

Very excited for these. Not for everyone, I know, but hits all the right marks for me. Plan on getting these and the Savage World figs as well. Hope this line does well enough to expand further. Hoping for Marvel and other lines Comics, Cartoons, Games etc., to be picked up. I agree Warlord would be a great release too!
    Last edited by haled75; October 14, 2018 at 09:45pm.

I'm all in on these. They are just soooooo awesome. However, my car is in the shop right now and I'm scared it might be a lot of money for the repairs. If it turns out to be cheap repair cost, I'm going to celebrate by buying myself all the DC Primal Age stuff!

Pixel Dan said more stuff is coming, but I wonder what exactly? So, I'm going to speculate: We know Superman and the Flash are coming, and the cartoon intro showed Black Manta, so that's two good guys and one bad guy. If they are following MotU vintage wave ratios, then wave two will have 2-3 good guys and 3 bad guys with a vehicle or beast. SO, I'm thinking the third good guy might be Hawkgirl for another female OR John Stewart GL that will use the exact same body as the Hal Jordan GL with different head. The two bad guys might include another creature and perhaps a female, so Cheetah would count for both requirements, then the last bad guy should be Lex Luthor with cool armor/helmet.

For the beast, I'd like to re-use the Ace the Bathound mold, make it white, and sculpt a new mask and saddle for Krypto the Superdog. And then it'd be cool to have some type of vehicle for Lex Luthor, but based on magic and/or creatures to power it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I have had all 8 of these figures saved in my cart on Amazon for awhile now, and now four of them are already sold out lol. Oh well. Anyways I was reading their reviews and man they are getting some terrible feedback, mainly concerning quality and paint. At this point after reading and seeing what I have, I'm pretty relieved that I didn't preorder any of these guys.

Attachment 118363

Attachment 118364
    Last edited by depp76; November 17, 2018 at 10:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    I have had all 8 of these figures saved in my cart on Amazon for awhile now, and now four of them are already sold out lol. Oh well. Anyways I was reading their reviews and man they are getting some terrible feedback, mainly concerning quality and paint. At this point after reading and seeing what I have, I'm pretty relieved that I didn't preorder any of these guys
    Yikes, that’s a shame. I didn’t hear any negative feedback online about the Mortak Kombat figures so I wonder what’s happened since.

I received the Mr. Freeze and Wonder Woman today from Amazon. They both look great, but Freeze had a popped-off left leg, and the right leg seems very tight. I heard they made changes to the hips so they wouldn't be loose, but think they went a little overboard.

Heroic Warrior
    The paint issues, frankly, I canít see in the pictures provided. Thereís going to be overspray. If perfection matters, wait until January 1st when Target gets these in.

The legs worry me but not them popping off. Iím not a MOC collector and have no problem reattaching them. I like that they pop off as itís kind of a safety feature that can be an alternative to breaking under certain pressure.

Iíve seen tons of Panthros where the leg snapped and one Batman. That terrifies me and is why I plan to open everything at once on Monday and test it so I can see if I need replacements.

Widget
    I preorded the entire set the first day the pre-orders were open. Three the figures ended up being backordered even though I was one of the first in line to do the pre-orders.
    So I got the first wave of the figures yesterday, rides and bat cave, and had to send them all back but one rides and two figures. As a MOC collector I dread when companyís issue amazon exclusives. Amazon just doesnít seem to care about packaging or collectors, and all the figures seem as if they were just thrown into a box So when they arrived they were super damaged. One of the characters bubble was coming off the back of the card, another backing board was folded completely in half. Corners bend. Boxes torn. Super bummed.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinghell73 View Post
    I preorded the entire set the first day the pre-orders were open. Three the figures ended up being backordered even though I was one of the first in line to do the pre-orders.
    So I got the first wave of the figures yesterday, rides and bat cave, and had to send them all back but one rides and two figures. As a MOC collector I dread when companyís issue amazon exclusives. Amazon just doesnít seem to care about packaging or collectors, and all the figures seem as if they were just thrown into a box So when they arrived they were super damaged. One of the characters bubble was coming off the back of the card, another backing board was folded completely in half. Corners bend. Boxes torn. Super bummed.
    Target will get these at brick and mortar January 1st.

No clue if itís an identical release or not but youíll at least get your pick then.

Batman arrived Saturday! I'm putting together a full review, but in short, I like the figure. There are a few things I would personally have preferred be done a little differently, but he's pretty cool as is. I do think not including an axe was a missed opportunity, as then the main guy in this line would have his version of the full complement of weapons as the main guy in the line that inspired it. Would have been a nice little homage in addition to all the other homages in this line.
    Sorry to hear about the QC issues. I was lucky and had none with my Batman, but I still have Wonder Woman on the way. Hopefully my luck will hold as I continue getting these!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Batman arrived Saturday! I'm putting together a full review, but in short, I like the figure. There are a few things I would personally have preferred be done a little differently, but he's pretty cool as is. I do think not including an axe was a missed opportunity, as then the main guy in this line would have his version of the full complement of weapons as the main guy in the line that inspired it. Would have been a nice little homage in addition to all the other homages in this line.
    Sorry to hear about the QC issues. I was lucky and had none with my Batman, but I still have Wonder Woman on the way. Hopefully my luck will hold as I continue getting these!
    I look forward to your review. I agree that Batman should have had an axe. It would have very cool if the axe blades were in the shape of batwings!
    I might get a few of these for Christmas, but the QC issues others have stated have me worried. I read all the reviews on Amazon and am not hopeful. I still really, really want that Batcave!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I got Batman, Joker, Wonder Woman, Mr. Freeze, Ace, and the Joker Beast today. The belt to Ace's saddle was broken in package. The Batman figure had a noticeable chip in the paint on his forehead. He also can't sit on Ace without being secured with a clear rubber band. Freeze's shield snapped the first time I tried to put it on his wrist. Most of them have minor paint issues. If I decide to get anymore, I'll be waiting for them to show up at retail where I can see them before I buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I look forward to your review. I agree that Batman should have had an axe. It would have very cool if the axe blades were in the shape of batwings!
    I might get a few of these for Christmas, but the QC issues others have stated have me worried. I read all the reviews on Amazon and am not hopeful. I still really, really want that Batcave!
    It really does look like a QC crapshoot. Hopefully this is just a case of it seeming worse than it is because the people who've gotten figures with issues are more likely to post a review than those who haven't, and the actual issues aren't that widespread. At least Amazon is good about replacing broken products, so exchanges shouldn't be too much hassle. (Assuming they still have them in stock, anyway. Looks like several are already backordered.)

The thing that's really bugging me about the bat-axe is that I know I have an axe around here somewhere with batwing, or batwing-esque, shaped blades, but even with a gun to my head I couldn't tell you where it is! I'm waiting to take the photos for my review until I find it, since I want to include a couple of shots of him holding it. Hopefully it'll turn up in the next couple of days.

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Really love the idea of these, but after seeing reports of the quality I'm glad that I didn't get any of them....
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Heroic Warrior
    The lead designer posted to Facebook that the retail release in January (and Wave 2 and TCats reorders and all Savage World going forward) will have stronger plastic in the crotch.

Kinda wondering if the disappearance of Aquaman, Scarecrow, Green Lantern, and King Shark from Amazon isnít tied to that.

I stopped by Gamestop earlier today and picked up some of the Savage World Horror (Michael Meyers, Jason, Freddy) and a set of the ThunderCats. Sadly, no Primal Age yet...

All of the joints on the figures function very well... and they look fantastic together with my vintage styled Super7 MOTU and SW Mortal Kombat figs.

I asked the clerk when they got the ThunderCats in and he said they just arrived this week... could these be the updated wave? Either way, I'm impressed with the ones I got. Now, I still have not received my BBTS order of ThunderCats, so those will go to my MOC collection.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Glad to hear there going to revise these things. I really would like to get them, their just an awesome idea, and look great too! But the QC issues have scared me off of picking them up right now.
    Last edited by haled75; November 24, 2018 at 02:44pm.

Today I got a package from Amazon with my Primal Age figures inside!

Good news: Batman is a great figure! Very cool take on the popular DC icon. His leg joints do feel a little wonky (definitely not as sturdy as the MK line...) and his shield did not have enough glue on it, but that was an easy fix. I agree about the Bat-Axe... total missed opportunity. Heck, I would have been fine without the sword if he had a massive BATtle axe.

Bad news: Wonder Woman.... both legs fell off when I took her out of the package
    As I write this, she is resting on my "operating table" with super glue in her joints... I thought about returning her, but it wouldn't be worth the trouble seeing as how I got her from Amazon for ten bucks... I like her outfit, and her cape... her sword and lasso are really cool too. It's just those darned leg joints.

I haven't opened any of the others yet, but I'm hoping for better luck.

Based on these two, I can definitely feel a lower standard of quality compared to the Mortal Kombat line (so far, the MK figures are the best Savage World offerings)... I can man-handle my Liu Kang, Scorpion, Katana, et. al. with absolutely no worry of breakage. Even the ThunderCats and Horror figures feel more solid than the Primal Age.

I love the idea behind it, and especially the price. I hope that that the QC improves, because I would love for this line to continue to expand!

Heroic Warrior
    When you say your Wonder Woman legs fell off... They snap right back on, right?

Superglue feels a bit extreme. Iím hoping they do her kangaroo mount from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    When you say your Wonder Woman legs fell off... They snap right back on, right?

Superglue feels a bit extreme. I’m hoping they do her kangaroo mount from the comics.
    No, there was no way to snap them back into place...

The plastic assembly ring that connects to the post in the torso is made way too thin. It was broken almost instantly...

Here is a crude drawing of how it is assembled and the way mine was broken:

funko assembly.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    No, there was no way to snap them back into place...

The plastic assembly ring that connects to the post in the torso is made way too thin. It was broken almost instantly...

Here is a crude drawing of how it is assembled and the way mine was broken:

funko assembly.jpg
    Yikes, that really sucks! My Wonder Woman arrived a few days ago, and her right leg fell off straight out of the package, but thankfully, it wasn't broken. It just doesn't want to stay attached. It stays on well enough for her to stand, but any attempt to move it makes it fall right off. It looks as if the ball isn't popping all the way into the socket, but I don't want to us much force pushing it into place because of all the issues with breakage people have had.
    The only MK figure I have is Raiden, and he definitely does feel sturdier than these. I've had good luck so far, but it sucks seeing people get broken figures. They really need to get this under control.

This is one of the reasons that I RARELY buy female figures anymore. They are always dainty and more fragile than thier bulkier male companions. More articulation means more breakable parts.

Also, with the average figure costing 20+ bucks, I would rather 'invest' in a more durable figure that's likely to endure.

Yep....I'm a Plastic Sexist.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; November 26, 2018 at 11:27pm.
    Odd Man Out

My review of Batman is up. I never did find that damn bat-themed axe I wanted to use for him in the photos, but now that I went ahead and posted the review, I'm sure it'll turn up any day now.

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Freeze arrived yesterday. No QC issues at all, thankfully. I was surprised at the number of accessories he has. He looks much cooler in-hand than in photos, for sure. My only gripes with him are that his helmet falls off far too easily, and he can't use his shield while he's wearing the gauntlet. (The clip is too small to go above it, and it wouldn't make sense to have it on his sword arm.)

I just ordered King Shark, as he is showing as back in stock soon. Hopefully my good luck with the QC on these figures will continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    My review of Batman is up. I never did find that damn bat-themed axe I wanted to use for him in the photos, but now that I went ahead and posted the review, I'm sure it'll turn up any day now.

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Freeze arrived yesterday. No QC issues at all, thankfully. I was surprised at the number of accessories he has. He looks much cooler in-hand than in photos, for sure. My only gripes with him are that his helmet falls off far too easily, and he can't use his shield while he's wearing the gauntlet. (The clip is too small to go above it, and it wouldn't make sense to have it on his sword arm.)

I just ordered King Shark, as he is showing as back in stock soon. Hopefully my good luck with the QC on these figures will continue!
    I really like the way that Freeze turned out! They really leaned more toward the "Primal" on his design... (although, he could easily have been called Captain Cold, as well...)

I'm looking forward to Aquaman too... he really looks like a character that would have appeared in the Galaxy Warriors / Warlord series!

Aquaman really does look straight out of one of the old Remco lines! He's particularly well-suited for this sort of makeover, it's just a hop away from his '90s look. Really hoping Funko gets the QC under control so we can get a few more waves of this line. I'm dying to see Primal Age figures of people like Ra's al Ghul and Black Adam.

Have you seen this?

It's really cool!!

I love the old-school animation done in the style of the Super Friends!