Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Heavily MOTU inspired ... Funko DC Primal Age

Has anyone seen series 2 at Target?
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

"Heavily inspired by MOTU" is an exact phrase to describe these DC Primal Age figures, even the cardback exploding rocks and sky is very much vintage MOTU.

I have no plans in getting these but after stumbling a complete set (apparently wave2 and 5 figures and 1 beast) on a local comicbook and collective shop here, I can't resist getting them.

Superman
    Krypto the Superdog
    The Flash
    Lex Luthor
    Bizarro
    Black Manta

These are nice visually but I haven't open one.

Need to track down at least Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman and The Joker from wave 1. But I'm not hoping much.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; April 14, 2019 at 12:19pm.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I received all of series 2 from BBTS last week. The quality of the figures so far (I've opened Black Manta and Bizarro) feels even better than series 1. The paintwork is cleaner and the plastic feels more solid. They do have less accessories, however, and I've noticed that Bizarro's cape isn't removable unlike the first series figures.

It seems like Funko has put a lot of effort into these, so hopefully that means a third series will be in the works. Series 1 seems to have sold very well at target, so hopefully series 2 has the same level of success.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Now that the impulse subsides,i think I shouldn't have get these because it distorted by limited collection.

Still nice though, looks good besides vintage motu.... hoping to get also some savage world thundercats and super7 heman and skeletor, if that happens i might collect these scale too

I got tired of looking and just ordered wave 2 from Amazon. Same price anyway. They do look amazing, though. Krypto really reminds me of Ghost from Game of Thrones, and I'm in a Game of Thrones kind of vibe right now with the new season.

I'm hoping for a wave three announcement maybe at SDCC.

For those who might be interested here is a quick review of Black Manta: https://www.actionfigurebarbecue.com...anta-from.html

This guy has an incredible design! I love the helmet an the barnacles on his suit.

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Has anyone put a Classics figure on one of these mounts? how do they measure up?
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    Has anyone put a Classics figure on one of these mounts? how do they measure up?
    Nope because mine still in box.

But I can tell you that Krypto and Battle Cat is almost the same size.

I'm collecting DC Primal Age for their strong similarity to vintage MOTU...and because they are beautiful and full of details, in my opinion.
    Black Manta seems a steampunk scuba diving warrior, it's my favorite, together with Scarecrow & King Shark!
    I opened only one figure, the Joker.. the hands are very hard, it's impossible to fit the weapon without the risk of breaking the hand. Seems made in resin.
    Now I get the Joker Beast and I would like to put a vintage MOTU on it, for example Skeletor :-)
    primal-age.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vanalon; April 21, 2019 at 04:54am.

The quality got a lot better. I'm surprised Dan did not make mention of the decrease of accessories with wave 2. But still, these rock!

Yeah, the accessory drop is strange. Series 1 felt loaded! Glad the quality is better, though.

"We have a Ram-Man!"

no lobo yet?
    fraggin disgraceful neglectin the main man like this!
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

My son is getting a bunch of these for his Birthday. Hope they are play quality!

Quote Originally Posted by vanalon View Post
    I'm collecting DC Primal Age for their strong similarity to vintage MOTU...and because they are beautiful and full of details, in my opinion.
    Black Manta seems a steampunk scuba diving warrior, it's my favorite, together with Scarecrow & King Shark!
    I opened only one figure, the Joker.. the hands are very hard, it's impossible to fit the weapon without the risk of breaking the hand. Seems made in resin.
    Now I get the Joker Beast and I would like to put a vintage MOTU on it, for example Skeletor :-)
    primal-age.jpg
    Nice set.

I finally try to put some bad guy on the saddle/throne of the Joker Beast… who fits better in your opinion?
    For me the winner is King Hiss!
    hordak.jpg king-hiss.jpg skeletor.jpg
    Last edited by vanalon; April 21, 2019 at 12:37pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    My complete series 2 is supposed to arrive in the mail today from BBTS. I'm pretty excited top open these up and check them out. Here's hoping they sell well and Funko announces a series 3 soon.
    Hope you enjoyed them. Mine are great!

The buzz I’m hearing is that Mattel had a master DC license and Primal Age exploited a loophole that ****** off Mattel. (Mattel’s license covered all scales, collector and kid oriented, comics and TV and film.) The loophole with Primal Age was that they were original designs, not comics, TV, OR film.

Flash forward to 2020. DC is no longer doing a master license with anybody because they want more retail visibility for their brands. (Nickelodeon is similarly splitting up TMNT which is why Playmates does kids, Super7 gets online collector, NECA gets retail collector, etc. Wouldn’t be surprised by Funko Savage World TMNTs.)

Spinmasters gets kids toys. McFarlane gets collector figures but only 6-12 inch.

So anyway, speculation I’m seeing is that Mezco will get DC and Thundercats for its 4 inch 5 Points line, added to the Hanna Barbera lineup. DC on the same base bucks as Space Ghost and Birdman.

And Funko probably WILL do more 5.5” DC but they’ll be the Super Friends lineup in comic/cartoon costumes. Only possible after Mattel’s license wraps.

I think Funko has more problems with Thundercats because of the QC problems and lack of demand for reorders. They’d probably need to scrap wave 2 and rerelease wave 1 figures WITH wave 2 as multipacks, maybe as a convention set. I’m guessing we might see a heroes 4 pack and, if that sells well, further releases. The new cartoon’s reaction and falling off the map hurt wave 2 as well, I think.

Primal Age probably did take a hit from the initial QC but the Target deal (and better QC on that line) helped and there’s a built in reset button to bring in new collectors by doing comics/cartoon versions once Mattel’s license wraps up.

Thundercats doesn’t have the same reset button prospects now that the QC issues are sorted except maybe as a multipack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Hope you enjoyed them. Mine are great!

The buzz I’m hearing is that Mattel had a master DC license and Primal Age exploited a loophole that ****** off Mattel. (Mattel’s license covered all scales, collector and kid oriented, comics and TV and film.) The loophole with Primal Age was that they were original designs, not comics, TV, OR film.

Flash forward to 2020. DC is no longer doing a master license with anybody because they want more retail visibility for their brands. (Nickelodeon is similarly splitting up TMNT which is why Playmates does kids, Super7 gets online collector, NECA gets retail collector, etc. Wouldn’t be surprised by Funko Savage World TMNTs.)

Spinmasters gets kids toys. McFarlane gets collector figures but only 6-12 inch.

So anyway, speculation I’m seeing is that Mezco will get DC and Thundercats for its 4 inch 5 Points line, added to the Hanna Barbera lineup. DC on the same base bucks as Space Ghost and Birdman.

And Funko probably WILL do more 5.5” DC but they’ll be the Super Friends lineup in comic/cartoon costumes. Only possible after Mattel’s license wraps.

I think Funko has more problems with Thundercats because of the QC problems and lack of demand for reorders. They’d probably need to scrap wave 2 and rerelease wave 1 figures WITH wave 2 as multipacks, maybe as a convention set. I’m guessing we might see a heroes 4 pack and, if that sells well, further releases. The new cartoon’s reaction and falling off the map hurt wave 2 as well, I think.

Primal Age probably did take a hit from the initial QC but the Target deal (and better QC on that line) helped and there’s a built in reset button to bring in new collectors by doing comics/cartoon versions once Mattel’s license wraps up.

Thundercats doesn’t have the same reset button prospects now that the QC issues are sorted except maybe as a multipack.
    Sooooo. Based on all that I am hoping for the continuation of the Primal Age designed-DC figures. I really do not want the comics/cartoon versions. If Funko ends the Primal Age when the Mattel licence expires in favor in favor of comics/cartoon designs that would suck for me.

That said, I do appreciate what we got already so I'm happy.

I'm really quite glad that the DC license is loosening up and that the TMNT license is no longer solely in Playmates' grasp. I'm concerned that no one is going to be releasing a good line to continue the long Mattel run of DC Superheroes/DCUC/ DC Signature Series/ DC Multiverse but maybe McFarlane or DC Collectibles will surprise us?

I'm definitely OK with Funko expanding the DC license but I still want more Primal Age. I think the unique take on them is what is helping them sell and not just the fact that they're 5.5 inch DC characters. The concept is fun and tempting to both DC fans and MOTU collectors.

"We have a Ram-Man!"

I'm really quite glad that the DC license is loosening up and that the TMNT license is no longer solely in Playmates' grasp. I'm concerned that no one is going to be releasing a good line to continue the long Mattel run of DC Superheroes/DCUC/ DC Signature Series/ DC Multiverse but maybe McFarlane or DC Collectibles will surprise us?

I'm definitely OK with Funko expanding the DC license but I still want more Primal Age. I think the unique take on them is what is helping them sell and not just the fact that they're 5.5 inch DC characters. The concept is fun and tempting to both DC fans and MOTU collectors.
    Exactly. I speculate that a standard comics/cartoon design of the 5.5 inch-MotU proportions would not sell as well as the Primal Age versions.

I think the unique take on them is what is helping them sell and not just the fact that they're 5.5 inch DC characters. The concept is fun and tempting to both DC fans and MOTU collectors.
    Have to agree on this.

Heroic Warrior

I agree but it may be that what we’d get would be secondary characters in Primal Age form packed alongside the mainstays in comics form.

I actually had kind of a funny thought a few months ago that maybe Primal Age would benefit drawing from more takes anyway.

Everybody I talk to wants a Supergirl as a She-Ra type. But maybe that would work BETTER if they took more cues from Bombshells Supergirl. (With a Primal Age style Superman emblem. Red skirt, maybe.) But the high boots, strapless bustier top, and girdle emblem work better with MOTU style IMHO.

I don’t think anyone has noted this but I see a lot of CW and JWS Flash in Primal Age Flash. The two red tones including red boots. The lightning bolt ears.

Aquaman was based on 90s Aquaman (which gave away the “lost 80s toy property” gag/hoax if you stopped to think about it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Exactly. I speculate that a standard comics/cartoon design of the 5.5 inch-MotU proportions would not sell as well as the Primal Age versions.
    I think it would diversify a bit and it’s either that or Jungle Attack Batman and Double Mace Superman and Arctic Camo Wonder Woman In later waves. (I might be down for those but I think the RETAIL health would be better mixing in classic DC assortments. Maybe we could even get a second comic that goes all “Crisis on Earth-Primal” with a JLA/JLPA team-up. They could probably cut the cost down from $10 for all new comics to the $5 Walmart comics if the backups were all time and earth travel classics.

EDIT: One key advantage to the comics license is that Funko basically CAN’T DO Warlord, Amethyst, Shining Knight, Arak, etc. right now because the license rests on them “deforming”/“adapting” the costume into Barbarian style.

Although I HAVE joked they should do a Green Arrow who is 90% just a Warlord figure in 3 shades of green with a yellow beard as a riff on how people always said the two looked alike in the comics.
    Last edited by Cobrala; April 24, 2019 at 01:31am.

OK, I guess a mixture of the two designs would be fine, as long as Primal Age continues.

Anyway, here is my hope for a Wave 3:

Green Arrow
    Hyena Men (an army builder)
    Steel
    Gorilla Grodd
    Sinestro (re-color GL w/ new head)
    Robin
    Hawkgirl
    Soloman Grundy

For beast: A giant bat with a saddle called the Batwing. Perhaps the wings could fold and removable helmet.
    I'm also hoping for a Lex Luthor chariot.

OK, I guess a mixture of the two designs would be fine, as long as Primal Age continues.

Anyway, here is my hope for a Wave 3:

Green Arrow
    Hyena Men (an army builder)
    Steel
    Gorilla Grodd
    Sinestro (re-color GL w/ new head)
    Robin
    Hawkgirl
    Soloman Grundy

For beast: A giant bat with a saddle called the Batwing. Perhaps the wings could fold and removable helmet.
    I'm also hoping for a Lex Luthor chariot.
    The Giant Bat could be a great new beast!
    I would like to see more warrior women:
    -Harley Quinn with her own beast... a giant hyaena called GRIN!
    -Poison Ivy
    -Catwoman
    -...and Hawkman

Quote Originally Posted by vanalon View Post
    The Giant Bat could be a great new beast!
    I would like to see more warrior women:
    -Harley Quinn with her own beast... a giant hyaena called GRIN!
    -Poison Ivy
    -Catwoman
    -...and Hawkman
    Yeah, I like to see more warrior women as well.

As to the giant bat, it'd be cool if it was made to be able to hang upside down in the Batcave, perhaps in front of the red banner. It would be similar to how the Talon Fighter could attach to Castle Grayskull. The giant bat (I'd like to call it Batwing), should also be able to perch on top of the Batcave.

But a beast for Harley is fantastic!

Yeah, I like to see more warrior women as well.

As to the giant bat, it'd be cool if it was made to be able to hang upside down in the Batcave, perhaps in front of the red banner. It would be similar to how the Talon Fighter could attach to Castle Grayskull. The giant bat (I'd like to call it Batwing), should also be able to perch on top of the Batcave.

But a beast for Harley is fantastic!
    Great idea!!! Imagine a branch shaped as a L, placed on top the BatCave where you can hang the bat. It could have legs or claws made like a hook so you can hang it!