Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian tv series **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I am so bummed, I just wrote this long reply to this thread and the board ate it Basically the reason why Disney is so hell bent on getting rid of the original, iconic characters is because Lucas retained the rights to them. This is why Galaxy's Edge featured none of the original characters (and is tanking and being retooled) and why they chose not to use Boba or Jenga.
    Yeah I make a habit of copying what I wrote so when it happens, which is more often than not, I can just re paste it.

Many are wondering if this is repurposed from that Boba film that was rumored and scrapped leading up to Solo’d release and subsequent disaster. Wasn’t a fan of Jango really, or much of the prequelles. Boba would have been cool, they could have show some of the EU stuff where he crawled out of the Pit. But if memory serves me Boba just wore Mandalorian armor but wasn’t actually Mandalorian, if I have that right, and assuming that canon has not been altered. I’m reaching back to the early late 80s early 90s stuff but God knows that his deal is these days.

Agree with you about that the, park. Shame. I’ve been following some YouTube channels who stated that their intel was that the park was originally going to be OT in its inception but Iger changed it, and removed a lot of it. In the park’s defense I have not been, and like many will most likely never go. Shame really. It could have been so cool.

The first episode was intriguing and it left me wanting to see how the story goes. I like how they brought back that early Mandalorian myth from before Filoni’sClone Wars iteration of the culture (which I also really liked). In this series the Mandalorians feels more like Conan’s people, more barbaric tight knit and culture. I really, like that. It brings back a lot of the mystique of their tribe that we kind of got with Boba.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; November 13, 2019 at 11:08pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    and why they chose not to use Boba or Jenga.
    That is a shame since I love Jenga Fett! I enjoyed a great deal of fun with that game!

As far as the show itself, I thought it was very good and look forward to future episodes...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    That is a shame since I love Jenga Fett! I enjoyed a great deal of fun with that game!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U6hv8eX6wS.../JengaFett.jpg

As far as the show itself, I thought it was very good and look forward to future episodes...
    I also really liked Jango. He was one of the best parts of AOTC.

I thought the same when I read it
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    But if memory serves me Boba just wore Mandalorian armor but wasn’t actually Mandalorian, if I have that right, and assuming that canon has not been altered. I’m reaching back to the early late 80s early 90s stuff but God knows that his deal is these days.
    Your memory is failing you.

Boba is technically Mandalorian. He's an unaltered clone of Jango Fett, and Jango is Mandalorian so....yes, Boba is Mandalorian...in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

Boba is technically Mandalorian. He's an unaltered clone of Jango Fett, and Jango is Mandalorian so....yes, Boba is Mandalorian...in a way.
    I think he's referring to the 3 part novel series about Boba Fett where they somewhat explored his past. If I remember correctly that part of the story was told through a third person but it's been a really long time since I read them as well.

A lot of us prefer the novels and comics as canon rather than the crap pile Lucas chose to put out later.
    We cant pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnt work. - Pete Buttigieg

The first episode was really good. Great to see OT aliens, the Kubaz was especially was a treat as I don't think we've seen one on screen since ANH.
    Another thing I loved was the screen wipes. Makes me realize just how much the new films are missing them and how much they add to the SW feel.
    If I had one nitpick it would be the short runtime.
    Looking forward to more.

Many are wondering if this is repurposed from that Boba film that was rumored and scrapped leading up to Solo’d release and subsequent disaster.
    I dont think any of this has been repurposed from the shelved Boba Fett film. That was written by Simon Kinberg where as The Mandalorian is Jon Favreau's baby from pitch to completion, which he says he'd started thinking about as soon as he heard about the Disney buy out.

I am so bummed, I just wrote this long reply to this thread and the board ate it Basically the reason why Disney is so hell bent on getting rid of the original, iconic characters is because Lucas retained the rights to them. This is why Galaxy's Edge featured none of the original characters (and is tanking and being retooled) and why they chose not to use Boba or Jenga.
    That is absolute not true what so ever. Lucas did not retain the rights to anything. Disney owns them lock stock and barrel.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I think he's referring to the 3 part novel series about Boba Fett where they somewhat explored his past. If I remember correctly that part of the story was told through a third person but it's been a really long time since I read them as well.

A lot of us prefer the novels and comics as canon rather than the crap pile Lucas chose to put out later.
    Sorry guys, yeah I should have been more specific. Per the pequlles Bonehead is correct. I was thinking about a lot of the EU stuff that was spawning in the 90s that built up the hype to the Phantom Menace. But I guess all that is moot at this point. I do appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    The first episode was really good. Great to see OT aliens, the Kubaz was especially was a treat as I don't think we've seen one on screen since ANH.
    Another thing I loved was the screen wipes. Makes me realize just how much the new films are missing them and how much they add to the SW feel.
    Looking forward to more.

I dont think any of this has been repurposed from the shelved Boba Fett film. That was written by Simon Kinberg where as The Mandalorian is Jon Favreau's baby from pitch to completion, which he says he'd started thinking about as soon as he heard about the Disney buy out.

That is absolute not true what so ever. Lucas did not retain the rights to anything. Disney owns them lock stock and barrel.
    Ah ok, makes sense. Appreciate the intel.

Does episode 2 drop tonight or Tuesday? It's been so long since I've been excited for Star Wars I can't contain myself!

In the clone wars, it is explicitly stated that Jango Fett was not a Mandalorian, "...specifically Season 2, Episode 12. When heading to the planet to investigate "The Mandalore Plot," Obi-Wan objects to the claims that the 'New Mandalore' is a far cry from its violent, warrior past. He uses Jango Fett as an example, and learns that the man's reputation is known by Prime Minister Almec who angrily spits that "Jango Fett was a common bounty hunter. How he acquired that armor is beyond me."

Here's the link: https://screenrant.com/star-wars-bob...t-mandalorian/

(I know many prefer the old EU, so feel free to bang your drum if you feel the need. )
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Where did you get this information? I thought that Disney simply owned all of Star Wars outright now. Basically anything that Lucasfilm owned, Disney now owns. I never heard of George Lucas retaining any character rights after the sale.

I thought a big part of the reason why they were pushing newer characters with Galaxy's Edge is because they are wanting to promote the newer movies that they are making. Baring in mind that the plans for Galaxy's Edge were in motion long before the backlash again The Last Jedi and so forth happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Where did you get this information? I thought that Disney simply owned all of Star Wars outright now. Basically anything that Lucasfilm owned, Disney now owns. I never heard of George Lucas retaining any character rights after the sale.

I thought a big part of the reason why they were pushing newer characters with Galaxy's Edge is because they are wanting to promote the newer movies that they are making. Baring in mind that the plans for Galaxy's Edge were in motion long before the backlash again The Last Jedi and so forth happened.
    Yeah, there is no truth to this rumor. George Lucas still makes money from Disney stock but Disney owns the films, characters, etc. Plenty of companies are releasing product based on characters from the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy. Darth Vader merchandise is still everywhere. Disney released a Han Solo movie, based on a created by Lucas that they now own. They're getting ready to release an Obi-Wan Kenobi series and revamp Clone Wars.

For the past few years Disney has definitely wanted to push new characters. I mean, they still release a ton of OT and PT stuff, and they used lots of the original cast. Galaxy's edge being set post TLJ might seem like a bit of a tactical error now, given the lukewarm reception of TLJ among fans, but story-wise it makes a lot of sense. It's something new that can reference the past and keep an "in-universe" feeling. We'll see what happens with it down the road but Disney often creates new things for their parks. The Avatar park is set in a completely different area/ time from the films, right? Disney often has a different view of creating attractions then many fans do.

The reason that this show is about a Mandalorian, rather than Boba Fett, and has IG-11, rather than IG-88, is because it gives the team a bit more creative freedom. Could it have been a Boba Fett show? Probably. But think of the backlash for when Fett was depicted in AOTC. Fans have their own very unique views on Fett. I think anything they did with Fett would have been "controversial." That was the explanation given for changing IG-88 into IG-11. IG-88 had a lot of backstory, even though 99% of it is Legends material now. Making anew droid gave the team more freedom to create a new character. I guarantee Boba Fett and IG-88 will show up in Star Wars media again (the new canon has been rather quiet on Boba Fett) but for now the Mandalorian team is getting the chance to tell a story that is all their own with less "baggage" than media revisiting a fanfavorite character.

And darn, is it paying off so far. The first episode was fantastic and I'm waiting to see the second. I can enjoy the series without sitting there and wondering "is this how the Boba Fett I idolized as a kid when we knew nothing about him would act?"
    Last edited by Barbecue17; November 15, 2019 at 05:11pm.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Looking forward to more.

I read that Favreau put those in specifically as an homage to Lucas.

Yes you are correct about the rights issue. Lucas sold the entire Lucasfilm and any and all characters to Disney. Lucas is a major holder of Disney stock and retains the title of Executive Creative Consultant in Lucasfilm which means nothing. They just game him a title so Disney could still tie him to any new material they produce.

Does episode 2 drop tonight or Tuesday? It's been so long since I've been excited for Star Wars I can't contain myself!

IT'S OUT RIGHT NOW!!! Watching it as soon as I finish this post.

I thought a big part of the reason why they were pushing newer characters with Galaxy's Edge is because they are wanting to promote the newer movies that they are making.
    That's exactly what they are doing. The original plan was to base the new area not on any one time period but as construction was starting, Disney decided it would be better to base them during the current trilogy. That kinda makes sense. When the California GE opened, Disney did state though that some of the areas could be refreshed in a few years to depict other times during the Star Wars saga. In the original plans, there was supposed to be a Watto's Shop gift shop and a full Cantina which clearly did not exist at the same time.

Ha! Typo

- - - Updated - - -

I watch a lot of You Tube videos (while doing dishes and things) and I heard it there. A few channels said it, so I assumed it was true.

Edit: I just did a quick search and this came up: https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...ally-attached/

If it is an unfounded rumor, I apologize. I do not have time to follow all of this stuff, so I trust the big old super geeks who do. Maybe my trust is misplaced.
    Last edited by IceyCat; November 16, 2019 at 10:16am.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

So Episode 2...

Who knew Jawas could be such "butt holes?!" I laughed for half the episode. How cute is that baby Yoda? Either i was sighing at the baby or laughing at the crazy Jawa shenanigans. Not as good a episode 1 but I still loved it.

Have seen both episodes and think they were absolutely fantastic! It is definitely a much needed breath of fresh air for StarWars since so much negativity surrounds the next movie. If Bob Iger is seeing the positive response to The Mandalorian he will hopefully boot Kennedy out and replace her with Favreau or Feloni since they actually know what StarWars is and should be...
    Last edited by He-Kal; November 16, 2019 at 01:54pm.

Yes Jango is not a TRUE Mandalorian but he was adopted by the leader of the Mandalorians Jaster Mereel

In the Jango Fett open seasons storyline

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    In the clone wars, it is explicitly stated that Jango Fett was not a Mandalorian, "...specifically Season 2, Episode 12. When heading to the planet to investigate "The Mandalore Plot," Obi-Wan objects to the claims that the 'New Mandalore' is a far cry from its violent, warrior past. He uses Jango Fett as an example, and learns that the man's reputation is known by Prime Minister Almec who angrily spits that "Jango Fett was a common bounty hunter. How he acquired that armor is beyond me."

(I know many prefer the old EU, so feel free to bang your drum if you feel the need. )
    Before Last Jedi I thought this was one of the worst story threads in Starwars. Boba Fett's character was basically ruined when they made him a clone and to add insult to injury when Lucas replaced the original, menacing Boba voice with Jango's bland voice...

- - - Updated - - -

So Episode 2...

I was shocked to realize that Jawas aren't only on the planet of Tatooine and scour other planets looking for junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Yes Jango is not a TRUE Mandalorian but he was adopted by the leader of the Mandalorians Jaster Mereel

wasn't he born on a world, Concord Dawn, that was in the Mandalorian system and under Mandalorian rule?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Have seen both episodes and think they were absolutely fantastic! It is definitely a much needed breath of fresh air for StarWars since so much negativity surrounds the next movie. If Bob Iger is seeing the positive response to The Mandalorian he will hopefully boot Kennedy out and replace her with Favreau or Feloni since they actually know what StarWars is and should be...
    I agree with this 100%.

...replace her with Favreau or Feloni since they actually know what StarWars is and should be...
    Feloni should have gotten the job from the get go. Lucas was essentially grooming him to take over for him for years. He probably knows more about Star Wars than even Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    wasn't he born on a world, Concord Dawn, that was in the Mandalorian system and under Mandalorian rule?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this 100%.
    Yes but he was not a TRUE Mandalorian....Like his Adopted Father so that part in intact...

So Episode 2...
    I actually loved episode two more than 1, and for the same reasons you pointed out. I did think as much of the Js, little devils- Lol

For me I liked episode two because I like to see my protagonist fall flat on his/her face once in a while. It’s a lacking aspect of all Disney Star Wars’ other stories. Star Wars for the participation trophy generation. Bleh. Thank the maker for Faverau and Filoni.

- - - Updated - - -

For your lips God’s ears! I’d love to see the position split. With Filoni getting lead creative role and Faverau as head production.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

Yes but he was not a TRUE Mandalorian....Like his Adopted Father so that part in intact...
    Thank you fellas. I haven’t read much EU but did recall hearing through the grape vine years ago that Fett was just a Bounty Hunter who wore old Mandalorian armor, but this was before the prequels trilogy came out. So many changes to canon it’s hard to keep up with it all. Appreciate the history.

Feloni should have gotten the job from the get go. Lucas was essentially grooming him to take over for him for years. He probably knows more about Star Wars than even Lucas.
    Well, it's obvious that Kennedy isn't the right person for the job (just look at how many people that have left or been fired from SW projects lately ).
    It's almost like we have two Starwars now...A great TV universe and a not so great movie universe... Tbh, Before Mandalorian came out I was telling a friend that I feel like Starwars may work better as a tv series now since companies are willing to spend the money to make movie quality episodes (it definitely would not have worked 20 or even 10 years ago). Dark Crystal is a good example of this too in that the tv series lived up to the original movie (which is a hefty task) I mean, you have more time to explore a story and understand a character in a tv series more and immerse yourself in that world for hours on end (especially if you binge watch episodes ).

So far I have really enjoyed it. My only complaint so far is I wish the episodes were longer. I wouldn't be surprised if after season 2 they decide to make this the next Star Wars movie in theaters. It would make sense to go with something that is pretty popular for the next movie rather than something unproven.

I agree that Feloni really should inherit the mantel. Not only does he know Star Wars, he loves Star Wars. The Clone War animated series made me love everything about the prequels that I disliked, and it gave me what was missing from the three films. I'd wager what kept him back from the job was his lack of experience filming live movies. I know nothing about the industry but would assume filming live movies is a bit more difficult than cgi animation. Not to impune the work those guys do. That's where Faverau could step in. I think the position should be split with Felnoi and Faverau holding different responsibilities and co collaborating.

I agree that Feloni really should inherit the mantel. Not only does he know Star Wars, he loves Star Wars. The Clone War animated series made me love everything about the prequels that I disliked, and it gave me what was missing from the three films..
    Totally agree. The best thing that came out of the prequels era was the TV show and the cartoon mini series that was created by the guy who created Samurai Jack.

- - - Updated - - -

That's where Faverau could step in. I think the position should be split with Felnoi and Faverau holding different responsibilities and co collaborating.
    That would be a great idea to have two people running the show--It may be too big of a task for one person to handle...