Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Vintage figures you would like to see redone because of the gimmick!

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319

    Vintage figures you would like to see redone because of the gimmick!

    Off the top of my head:

    Ram Man
    King Hiss
    Horde Trooper

    The old figures all lost play/display value because of the gimmicks.

    I figure a Filmation Ram Man is coming soon in Vintage Filmation.

    Horde Troopers even without the gimmick issue seem like they’d be worth a re-do for modern army builders.

    I feel like King Hiss would be worth a revisit as He-Ro’s arch enemy. Just standard MOTU articulation. There’s not a huge distinction between being a classic toy homage, a Filmation version, and a Powers of Grayskull minicomic figure. A bare forehead version would cover the “present day” mini comics version but maybe he could have two swappable helmets to address that.

    It would probably work well with a Powers of Grayskull Wave 2 to pair him with an unproduced Snake Man or two as wavemates. I think the mini-comics had a few more Snake Men.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    798
    I actually would love to see a slightly more detailed vintage Ram-man with a better action feature. I don't need the level of detail the MOTUC got, but if they made it look like the card back in the details.... I think I would love it so much I'd marry it

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Snake Face! I was thinking of Snake Face when I started this thread and I blanked on it midway through!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior darkmoon766's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I actually would love to see a slightly more detailed vintage Ram-man with a better action feature. I don't need the level of detail the MOTUC got, but if they made it look like the card back in the details.... I think I would love it so much I'd marry it

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5fb9e87f4d.jpg
    I wish the ultimates figure I pre-ordered looked like that. The pre-order prototype did. The production figure did not.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    244
    Star sisters with rooted hair

    Webstor

    Laser light he man and Skelettor

  6. #6
    Court Magician simensays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    50
    I'd like to see a Savage He-man...


    Last edited by simensays; November 24, 2018 at 08:10pm.

  7. #7
    Jealous & zealous! RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,653
    Orko - Correctly scaled to the other characters, with a floating display stand. This is how I always wanted him to look, instead of the giant sized old one with the ripcord action feature.

    Sorceress - Darker blue costume, and a more accurate head sculpt with neck articulation. Give her a cloth or vinyl cloak instead of the pop-up wings, so that she can actually sit on the Castle Grayskull throne.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Orko - Correctly scaled to the other characters, with a floating display stand. This is how I always wanted him to look, instead of the giant sized old one with the ripcord action feature.

    Sorceress - Darker blue costume, and a more accurate head sculpt with neck articulation. Give her a cloth or vinyl cloak instead of the pop-up wings, so that she can actually sit on the Castle Grayskull throne.
    I agree about Sorceress and I think she'd probably high on Super7's list.

    If I had to guess:

    Wave 3:

    Ram Man, Sorceress, Triclops, Mer-Man

    Wave 4:

    Prince Adam, Orko & Cringer (probably at $25 like He-Ro), Trapjaw, Evil-Lyn

    That said... Classics Orko is a pretty good fit aside from elbow joints and stand height. Most of the floating characters like Skeletor's Hover Robots are a good fit (and they stand at 5.75" when floating). Because Vintage has the head and upper torso proportions of a 7 inch figure, floating characters are already close to correct scale. (7 inch Mego heads fit on MOTU bodies albeit with a long neck and I've seen 7 inch dolls made by transplanting MOTU/Remco style heads.)

    And if you prefer a smaller Orko, Loyal Subjects Action Vinyl Orko (hitting Hot Topic December 15th) has simpler articulation and should come up to roughly pectoral height on his flight stand.

    In theory, all Super7 needs to do with Orko and Cringer is scale the Cringer that came with Marlena down 20% and pack it with a simplified Orko tooled for a Hover Robot stand.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Palazzolor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    197
    See, I wouldn't want to see any vintage figures made unless they were figures that just never made it to stores. Those vintage Eldor and He-Ro figures are cool because its the first time we've ever seen those. They're as vintage as they can get. Now, I'm just speaking for myself but the vintage figures were made a certain way and it's what we had when we were kids. 200X was our second chance when many of us were in our late 20's. Classics and Club Grayskull are what we have today so I'd just want to focus on them. Those new vintage figures that were made to look more like the animated cartoon is just completely weird to me. Maybe I'm alone on this and that's fine. Each to their own but that's just my 2 cents.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    See, I wouldn't want to see any vintage figures made unless they were figures that just never made it to stores. Those vintage Eldor and He-Ro figures are cool because its the first time we've ever seen those. They're as vintage as they can get. Now, I'm just speaking for myself but the vintage figures were made a certain way and it's what we had when we were kids. 200X was our second chance when many of us were in our late 20's. Classics and Club Grayskull are what we have today so I'd just want to focus on them. Those new vintage figures that were made to look more like the animated cartoon is just completely weird to me. Maybe I'm alone on this and that's fine. Each to their own but that's just my 2 cents.
    I think it depends on whether you think "Filmation versions" qualify as "never made".

    Orko, Cringer, and Ram Man IMHO are contenders because there are no 5.5 versions that look like they belong to the same toy line.

    I'd agree with you on Buzz Off, Zodac, maybe Sorceress.

    At the same time, I think we're past due for a new commemorative reissue because MOTU needs new collectors to stay afloat and needs to bring people who sold off their old collections back in the fold. And if nobody's going to step up and reissue vintage figures, we need some versions of all the core Filmation cast or the number of collectors is going to shrink.

    If you want to bring in 25 year-olds, they probably don't want figures that have been in the mouths of babies or pets and they probably won't be enticed by Commemorative pricing.

    If you look at Transformers, even their "vintage" reissues have paint/deco enhancements. The Starscream at Walmart right now has a new head (new to this release, with a painted visor) and a Megatron gun and weapon holding hands from a 2000s reissue. Even if you did a "straight" commemorative reissue, I think you'd be smart to paint the bracers on reissues and maybe add some detail to the boot deco. Most people under 35 are going to care more about nostalgia or ironically cool stuff than 100% accuracy.

  11. #11
    Jealous & zealous! RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I agree about Sorceress and I think she'd probably high on Super7's list.

    If I had to guess:

    Wave 3:

    Ram Man, Sorceress, Triclops, Mer-Man

    Wave 4:

    Prince Adam, Orko & Cringer (probably at $25 like He-Ro), Trapjaw, Evil-Lyn

    That said... Classics Orko is a pretty good fit aside from elbow joints and stand height. Most of the floating characters like Skeletor's Hover Robots are a good fit (and they stand at 5.75" when floating). Because Vintage has the head and upper torso proportions of a 7 inch figure, floating characters are already close to correct scale. (7 inch Mego heads fit on MOTU bodies albeit with a long neck and I've seen 7 inch dolls made by transplanting MOTU/Remco style heads.)

    And if you prefer a smaller Orko, Loyal Subjects Action Vinyl Orko (hitting Hot Topic December 15th) has simpler articulation and should come up to roughly pectoral height on his flight stand.

    In theory, all Super7 needs to do with Orko and Cringer is scale the Cringer that came with Marlena down 20% and pack it with a simplified Orko tooled for a Hover Robot stand.
    At the moment I actually do use the Classics versions of Orko and Cringer with my vintage toys, and while they are a decent placeholders, they still don't quite look like they belong alongside the vintage toys. I would rather see brand new molds made for them rather than recycling existing ones. That Classics Cringer mold is a little too detailed for the retro style this line is attempting to replicate.

    I like your choices for waves 3 & 4, although I'm hoping to see some new characters we never got in the 80s added to the mix, and some more She-Ra ones, like Madame Razz and Shadow Weaver.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    For sure. I’d love Shadow Weaver and Seahawk!

    And the one off villains from Filmation!

    And Marlena!

    I just kinda figure if S7 DOESN’T prioritize the main wave releases (and maybe release new stuff in side waves like He-Ro), you’ll end up with a Thundercats Classic situation where there are gaps in the main lineup.

    I’d rather they kind of go down the list and find excuses to do He-Man and Skeletor variations regularly after that because I want the line to cover the basics and keep drawing new buyers in.

  13. #13
    Jealous & zealous! RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,653
    Yeah, it is important to bring in new customers. I hope they don't put out too many variants though. That Robot He-Man figure is my least wanted figure from wave 2. He was only on screen with the robotic face for about two seconds, so I worry that he might be a bit too obscure for casual fans.

    It would be really cool to see the New Adventures He-Man and Skeletor in the vintage style. I think brand new characters that we didn't get in the 80s will be the best sellers though.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    319
    I think maybe they should poll us on variants because they’re risky. Or look at eBay sales of Loyal Subjects variants.

    In general, wacky variants can backfire. Unless they’re also ugly variants.

    I think Robot He-Man is more of a good traveling con exclusive kind of thing.

    I think the Filmation style figs with Battle Armor torsos (even without gimmick) would sell well. Those were used in a lot of merch with Filmation head designs.

    The base Filmation bodies with tweaked colors and a retro toy strap armor on He-Man and bare feet on Skeletor would qualify as Star/Marvel Comics versions. There’s one appearance by Faker in Star Comics with toy colors and Filmation He-Man character model with Filmation Skeletor chest armor.

    A bit further tweaking from there (new heads, reworked wrists) and you get Minicomics versions.

    I think my rule would be that He-Man and Skeletor variants should be visually distinct from one another but still the primary He-Man or Skeletor on somebody’s shelf.

    The other variations might be cool weapons pack add-ons though!

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    798
    How about a Faker con exclusive where it's a clear outer body with the mechanical bits buried inside. They wouldn't need to moving around like Roboto, but it would be cool to see what that chest sticker was attached to. Super 7 did something similar with a transparent Optimus Prime. I would take a MOTUC Clear bodied Faker or a retro figure.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •