Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: What movies do you remember seeing in theaters as a kid?

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I know. It has to be sometching special for me to go to a movie now. I’m so sick of people’s rudeness or inconsiderate behavior that I wait for most films to hot On Demand at this point. Plus I’m just so busy at this point in life I just want come home and fall asleep. I am however excited to see the second half of Infinity War. I am curious to see how it varies from the comic.

    Amenstep, was just bust your chops, mate. Lol. Just wanted to flip your joke on you.
    Yeah last time I went I wanted to shove a cell phone side ways up someone's bottom. Who pays good money to go to the theater to talk on the phone the entire time?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I only go to the cinema a few times a year because of my fibromylgia and arthritis, I just can't get comfortable. A movie has to be special for me to want to go out to see it, for example, I've seen Aquaman a few times now, and I would like to see Shazam next.
    Awww, that stinks. My knee gets really stiff if I sit in the same position too long, so that is another reason I do not like the theater. You are kind of mashed in. There are some nicer ones, but those are busier.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  2. #27
    Outlaw Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,245
    It's so expensive to go that I usually wait for the movie to be released on DVD or digital - costs me about the same to see it, less inconsiderate people, and I can see it again right away if I want
    The last movies I remember going to see in theater were the Lord of the Rings movies - so you know how long its been.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

    "All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    It's so expensive to go that I usually wait for the movie to be released on DVD or digital - costs me about the same to see it, less inconsiderate people, and I can see it again right away if I want
    The last movies I remember going to see in theater were the Lord of the Rings movies - so you know how long its been.
    Also movies are so freaking long now. I had to pause something recently and I thought it was almost over only to find out I was half way through. Holy crap! That is another reason why I enjoy streaming from Vudu. I can pause or even decide to go to bed half way through - LOL! I think that is a sign of old age.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,685
    Personally I love the theater. The gigantic screen.. the popcorn... maybe a pretzel or hot dog.... I'm surprised to see so many people having written them off. I just love the experience.

    Which Is pretty weird since I really don't like being around strangers... but honestly, I haven't had problems with other guests in years. I prefer to NOT go see the Marvel or Star Wars on opening night (mostly because I work...) but by Monday or Tuesday matinees... it's never crowded.

    At home... I never enjoy the movie as much. The action isn't BIG enough... there's too many distractions. Things I could/should be doing. And of course nothing kills a films momentum then randomly pausing it and walking out of the room for a while. In a theater... I'm there, and it has my undivided attention.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,057
    I cannot eat the food at theaters, so to get dressed and go to a crowded theater to sit around with a bunch of people I do not know has zero appeal for me. I do like the drive in though because I can bring snacks, wear comfy clothes (I put the kids in jammies) and not be sandwiched next to someone I do not know.
    Last edited by IceyCat; January 11, 2019 at 12:24pm.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  6. #31
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    I remember the stories behind going to the movies more than the actual movies. It was a pretty big deal to go to a theater when I was a child. There may be more...
    The first one was the Care Bears movie... I remember My aunt and her boyfriend at the time took us. I don't remember much of the movie because I was so young, but I remember the feeling of going to a movie.

    Transformers: I remember it was a Saturday and when we went to the theater the first time the show was sold out. I don't think I understood what that meant, but I remember going home. My sister says we came back to the theater supper early for the next screening to ensure we got in.

    Oliver & Company and some live action movie about a Cheetah: I remember staying over with my Bio Dad & Grandmother one time. He took my sis & I to the drive in. I remember there was a misprint in the paper and expecting a movie non of us had heard of.

    Disney's Beauty and the Beast: My big memories revolve around two things. #1. The hype for this movie, It seemed like everywhere I turned there was something about it. A feature in my scholastic magazine, a documentary about the "making of" on TV, it felt like that comercial was on during every break. They're were mutliple B&B books out.
    #2. My mom thought the theater prices were outrageous and brought a can of soda with her. Someone from the theater would not let her bring the can inside for safety reasons. She was not having this! We ended up being given a paper cup to put the drink in.

    Disney's Alladin: We didn't go to many movies so, I just remember mom taking us as a big deal.

    Batman Returns: The big memory is the entire family going to see this. This is the only movie I remember that happing for.

    Jurrasic Park: I may be missing something but I think the reason we got this see this one was because of the KKK! They decided to hold a rally in town and everyone counter programed! The mall beside the theather had some cultural fair and the movies that day were cheap. maybe even a buck. I'm a bit cheap and I defentaly picked that up from my mother. There was no way she wasn't taking us to the movies when it was cheap. I clearly remember this being the first time I ever had popcorn and a soda at a movie. The place was packed.


    Super Mario Bros.: This was not a box office hit, so if you've never heard of it... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108255...?ref_=tt_ov_vi
    This was not in theaters for long! In fact, by the time my mom could take me to see it, we had to travel to a second run cinema about 40 minutes away just so I could see the Brothers Mario on the big screen. We were the only two in this huge theater. I still enjoyed it though.


    Three Musketeers: I believe this was the first movie that just my mom & I went to. I imagine my big that away from the movie was the same as everyone else's from that era. The damn song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofA3URC1wyk This was everywhere!

    Disney's A Goofy Movie: My girlfriend and her family took me to see this when for my birthday. It was really the movie she wanted to see, I was just happy to be with her. I had recently discovered WCW pro wrestling at that time. I remember timing the movie so I would return home in time for the start of WCW Saturday Night, featuring the US. Tittle tournament.

    Underseige with Steven Segal and Batman Forever: My mom took me to see Batman for my birthday. It had been out for a few weeks and the Segal movie was first in the order.

    The Crow: I remember going to the drive-in with my Dad and his buddy Mike. Of all the memories... I remember the Drive-in didn't start until Dark and before we left to see the movie they showed me how to defend myself in a fight.
    Last edited by TTT; February 6, 2019 at 09:24am.

  7. #32
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    24
    There are a lot but the one that I remembered is Finding Nemo, I watch it with my brother. It really feels nostalgic as we also watch Finding Dory together. It brings back so many memories. I treat my brother as a friend but we use to fight a lot way back when we were kids. I love stealing his car toys so that my Barbie can have a ride. I can't believe that I am old now.

  8. #33
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    49
    Movies that I still remember seeing at theaters both drive in theater and indoor theater when I was a little kid in the early 1980s

    Dune -it was at the drive in theater and not sure but i kind of remember that free movie trading cards were handed out at the time
    Conan the Destroyer
    Raiders of the Lost Ark. I think theaters at the time back were reshowing Raiders of the Lost Ark for a long time in the early 1980s
    Return of the Jedi - my first Star Wars back then in 1983

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I remember the stories behind going to the movies more than the actual movies. It was a pretty big deal to go to a theater when I was a child. There may be more...
    The first one was the Care Bears movie... I remember My aunt and her boyfriend at the time took us. I don't remember much of the movie because I was so young, but I remember the feeling of going to a movie.

    Transformers: I remember it was a Saturday and when we went to the theater the first time the show was sold out. I don't think I understood what that meant, but I remember going home. My sister says we came back to the theater supper early for the next screening to ensure we got in.

    Oliver & Company and some live action movie about a Cheetah: I remember staying over with my Bio Dad & Grandmother one time. He took my sis & I to the drive in. I remember there was a misprint in the paper and expecting a movie non of us had heard of.

    Disney's Beauty and the Beast: My big memories revolve around two things. #1. The hype for this movie, It seemed like everywhere I turned there was something about it. A feature in my scholastic magazine, a documentary about the "making of" on TV, it felt like that comercial was on during every break. They're were mutliple B&B books out.
    #2. My mom thought the theater prices were outrageous and brought a can of soda with her. Someone from the theater would not let her bring the can inside for safety reasons. She was not having this! We ended up being given a paper cup to put the drink in.

    Disney's Alladin: We didn't go to many movies so, I just remember mom taking us as a big deal.

    Batman Returns: The big memory is the entire family going to see this. This is the only movie I remember that happing for.

    Jurrasic Park: I may be missing something but I think the reason we got this see this one was because of the KKK! They decided to hold a rally in town and everyone counter programed! The mall beside the theather had some cultural fair and the movies that day were cheap. maybe even a buck. I'm a bit cheap and I defentaly picked that up from my mother. There was no way she wasn't taking us to the movies when it was cheap. I clearly remember this being the first time I ever had popcorn and a soda at a movie. The place was packed.


    Super Mario Bros.: This was not a box office hit, so if you've never heard of it... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108255...?ref_=tt_ov_vi
    This was not in theaters for long! In fact, by the time my mom could take me to see it, we had to travel to a second run cinema about 40 minutes away just so I could see the Brothers Mario on the big screen. We were the only two in this huge theater. I still enjoyed it though.


    Three Musketeers: I believe this was the first movie that just my mom & I went to. I imagine my big that away from the movie was the same as everyone else's from that era. The damn song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofA3URC1wyk This was everywhere!

    Disney's A Goofy Movie: My girlfriend and her family took me to see this when for my birthday. It was really the movie she wanted to see, I was just happy to be with her. I had recently discovered WCW pro wrestling at that time. I remember timing the movie so I would return home in time for the start of WCW Saturday Night, featuring the US. Tittle tournament.

    Underseige with Steven Segal and Batman Forever: My mom took me to see Batman for my birthday. It had been out for a few weeks and the Segal movie was first in the order.

    The Crow: I remember going to the drive-in with my Dad and his buddy Mike. Of all the memories... I remember the Drive-in didn't start until Dark and before we left to see the movie they showed me how to defend myself in a fight.
    I saw Goofy Movie in theaters too with my best friend and his family when i was 13 and dug it! Saw Crow in theaters when i was turning 13 as well.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    I only seen a few movies at the cinema when I was a kid.

    The Three Ninjas.
    Super Mario Bros.
    Jurasic Park.
    The Mask.
    Power Rangers.
    Star Wars: A New Hope Special Edition.

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Personally I love the theater. The gigantic screen.. the popcorn... maybe a pretzel or hot dog.... I'm surprised to see so many people having written them off. I just love the experience.

    Which Is pretty weird since I really don't like being around strangers...
    Same here at both points. I'll always love and prefer the spectacle of seeing a movie in the theater. IMO, watching it at home on tv just doesn't compare.

    Anyway, my mom mainly, was always taking us to the movies. And since I have really good recollection. I can remember seeing stuff going back to the late 70s like the Star Wars rerelease (actually I just remember waking up during the Yavin IV ceromony), Moonraker, The Black Hole. And going on throughout the 80s. All the usual sci fi/fantasy, action movies. And even remember getting dragged to more boring adult stuff like Chariots of Fire and Terms of Endearment lol.

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior felgekarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sheffield, UK.
    Posts
    1,248
    Star Wars, prior to that new hope nonsense being added.
    Superman
    A fair few disney films, 101 Dalmations, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Black Hole.
    My parents took me to see Battle Beyond The Stars when it came out, I was 7 and it was showing at the adult entertainment cinema, not the usual one we went to, lot of eye opening posters on display that night!
    My mum took me to see Dune, which I always thought was strange as my dad did the sci-fi stuff and when we got home my parents told me they were splitting up, so despite a lot of people not rating Dune it’s always been one of my favourites as compared to what else happened that night it was far from the worst thing

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    965
    Oh gee, childhood was so long ago.

    Well, naturally went as saw all the Disney films of the time, but the two that stuck out were:

    Cinderella, because we saw that around Christmas time and had my entire extended family around to watch it with. My brother and I even picked up those Gus-Gus and Jack ornaments McDonald's (I think) were giving out to play with in the theater.

    Lion King, because it remains one of the very few movies I've gone to the theater to see multiple (6) times over the course of it's two theater releases.

    BEGGED my Dad to take me to see the Super Mario Bros. Movie. Paid for the tickets, the gas, and even snacks in exchange. Anyone who knows the movie can probably guess how bad a deal that was.

    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 and 2, mainly because my brother was a big Turtle fan, but both were fun films. Still say Secret of the Ooze was better than the first one, but Casey Jones beats Kino hands down.

    Land Before Time, though its sequels tended to be hit or miss with me.

    Got the opportunity to go to a Dollar Theater that was showing Popeye. Mom and I were both Robin Williams fans so it seemed a good whim to indulge.

    Dad and I went and saw Dances With Wolves as well. Phenomenal movie, if you've never seen it look it up. Especially if you were a fan of Avatar.

    Quest For Camelot, I still don't see why people knock that movie. Wasn't a classic but it also wasn't unwatchable.

    All Dogs Go To Heaven 2

    Jurassic Park

    Death Becomes Her

    The Phantom

    Kindergarten Cop

    Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot

    Batman and his sequels

    The Mask, though my Mom thought that's was another movie with the same title.

    The Shadow

    Sneakers, another classic I highly recommend if you're into spy thrillers.

    Undercover Blues, which was by the numbers as far as its plot went, but served up hilarious performances by its cast, an exciting visual spectacle, and still makes me last.

    And, when the last Drive-In in my area was closing, my family and I went and saw the last show they put on, none other than Masters Of The Universe. Of course since the speakers weren't that reliable, I had to wait until it came to home video to hear most of the dialogue.

    That's about all I can remember.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh yeah, and The Wizard. Made me want a Power Glove something fierce.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; January 13, 2020 at 10:57am.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  14. #39
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,456
    The movies I remember go to the theater as a kid (before I turned 16):
    Star Wars (1977)
    Superman (1979)
    Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    ET (1982)
    Return of the Jedi (1983)
    Ghostbusters (1984)
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
    Transformers (1986)
    Masters of the Universe (1987)
    Batman (1989)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
    Back to Future Part II (1989)
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    336
    I have fond memories of watching The Neverending Story at the movies as a kid. Even today, I still feel there is something special about that film.

  16. #41
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    49
    I was a little toddler in early 1980s where there were a few movies I remember seeing at the drive in at at the time

    Dune
    Conan the Destroyer
    Dragonslayer
    Return of the Jedi. 3 years old at the right time in 1983 when the movie was in theaters at the time pretty much

    also there was one other movie that im not entirely sure on since i was young at the time. I kind of remember seeing either Raiders of the Lost Ark or Poltergeist at the drive in theater

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior Ninja Orko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    124
    I remember seeing Smurfs and the Magic Flute. I didn't like it because the Smurfs' voices were different to those in the TV cartoon. Plus there were songs.
    This message has been Orko Approved

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,326
    Showgirls.

  19. #44
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,047
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Showgirls.
    God, I remember looking at the poster on rental. Hideous cover but props to my idol (Kevin Stea) in there.

    Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

  20. #45
    Giraffe Warrior FiveOfSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stuck in a quiche
    Posts
    174


    I recall this being the first film I saw on my own, i.e., without a parent or guardian, not literally "on my own".

    More info here.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which is a pity because this week the National Association of Beholders wrote to tell me that I've got a face like a rucksack full of dented bells.
    (Charlie Brooker)

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior krugos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Valencia, Venezuela
    Posts
    1,044
    I didn't go often to the theaters as a kid, we would rather rent movies to watch at home. I remember seeing:
    -Jaws 3... I have a vague memory of the 3D gimmick, maybe a frog leaping to the screen (or was that from another 3d movie?)
    -Harry and the Hendersons.
    -Batteries not included.
    -The boy who could fly.

    I also remember a sci-fi film where a guy died in zero gravity and I remember being mesmerized by the effects, wondering how they made people fly like that, lol. I don't know which movie that was (maybe Dune?), but I remember it was a drive-in cinema, me and my sister went in hiding in the back seat, maybe because we were too young for this movie.

    I started going more often to cinemas in the early 90's, as a tween/teenager. I remember my friends' uncle took us to see Terminator 2 and they wouldn't let us in because we were too young (I think I was 12 years old), but the guy talked his way in and we were able to see the film anyways.
    Last edited by krugos; January 28, 2020 at 08:37am.
    My website (currently under construction)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •